• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Motwera

Oct 27, 2017
izEu2CB.jpg

Credit goes to Hero of Legend for finding this info!

It is now apparently if legit that Plants Vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville will come for the Nintendo Switch on March 19, 2021 (As a "Complete Edition"), despite the FAQ on EA's website saying that there would be no such plans around the time the game first got revealed, as well as the fact that Jeff Grubb talked about the portfolio slate that EA plans on releasing for the platform from their EA Play event until the year after. After all, we know that one of these games turned out to be NFS: Hot Pursuit Remastered, which wasn't revealed at the time.

If this is to be believed, then it would mark one of the few instances the Frostbite engine be used on the Switch, perhaps bring way for FIFA 22 like the console counterparts (PS4/Xbox One), as well an announcement that should be expected pretty soon within the next several weeks from this point on.

Link to the listing on GameFly's website (Nintendo Switch)

Last edited:

JetstreamRorschach

One Winged Slayer
Dec 30, 2017
Zaragoza, Spain.
Some insider kinda hinted at this, iirc (something PvZ on Switch, no names given). I could be wrong, but that's the reason I haven't bought It on PC even though I loved the first one. Hope it ends up being legit.

olubode

Oct 28, 2017
If completed edition means no micro transactions and a solid 30/60 fps, I might jump in. I doubt it though.

Lumines

Oct 25, 2017
It amazes me it took the third (and worst) Garden Warfare game to finally show up on Switch.

Oh EA...

Oct 27, 2017
Let's see if this means Frostbite has been ported or if this is just a one off thing. Guess we won't know till the next Fifa

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Weirder than Persona 5 skipping the Switch, only to get Persona 5 Part 2? Weirder than Mass Effect Trilogy skipping the Switch? Weirder than Crash 4 not being on Switch from day one?

Yup. Because this is gonna be one expensive port for Switch. An expensive port for an online only game nobody really plays anymore...

Jun 15, 2020
Shouldn't have taken so long. Hope they didn't miss their window, because it's a cool ass game, people should play it.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather have the original PvZ. You know, the tower defense game. It seems EA forgot that's what PvZ actually is.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Garden Warfare 1 was incredible, 2 and Battle for NV are much weaker games. But cool to see the franchise on switch.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is interesting on a lot of fronts. I wonder what "complete edition" means in this. Will they just give out the old battle pass unlocks? I can't imagine them removing the DLC store

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
It is a series of diminishing returns. They tried too hard and did the old fixing something that wasn't broke thing for the second game. It was literally marketed by EA as being 'Bigger. Badder. Bigger'. No mention of 'better'. Then they ignored all feedback and carried on going in the wrong direction for the third.

That said, if you've never played any of them, there's enough of the original's DNA left to make it a pretty good option on Switch. Gyro alone would tempt me to return.

Battle for Neighborville isn't a bad game, it's just an incredibly frustrating one if you were raised on the purity of the original.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This would be the first instance of Frostbite running on Switch which would be pretty neat. Shame it'd be for the worst PvZ game.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
It is a series of diminishing returns. They tried too hard and did the old fixing something that wasn't broke thing for the second game. It was literally marketed by EA as being 'Bigger. Badder. Bigger'. No mention of 'better'. Then they ignored all feedback and carried on going in the wrong direction for the third.

That said, if you've never played any of them, there's enough of the original's DNA left to make it a pretty good option on Switch. Gyro alone would tempt me to return.

Battle for Neighborville isn't a bad game, it's just an incredibly frustrating one if you were raised on the purity of the original.
Pretty much my thoughts. Original GW was probably one of my favourite online games, and then 2 just added way too many things and swapped the overall theme from plants with like sunny suburbs, blue skies etc. to zombies, which meant everything was just drab, dark, and purple.
BfN is certainly better than 2 now, although at launch it was broken as hell because they were balancing around that new mode and not Team Vanquish, so they had say Sunflower as basically a pure healer who took like 200 bullets to kill anything as opposed to the mushroom who could just pop an ability and clear a room. I miss the variants though, and I dislike the really slow grind for money/items, compared to the first one and the fact you could get the most valuable 10 pack of items after 4 matches at most, here it's like 5 matches for 1 item.

I had more fun with the "story mode" of BfN compared to the PvP though.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
If this doesn't have offline split-screen with bots it's pretty much dead on arrival. No idea how an online only non cross play game is supposed to compete not just with titles like Fortnite or Overwatch, but switch exclusive Splatoon 2.

JustALurker

Feb 12, 2019
If this doesn't have offline split-screen with bots it's pretty much dead on arrival. No idea how an online only non cross play game is supposed to compete not just with titles like Fortnite or Overwatch, but switch exclusive Splatoon 2.
Pricing will be an important factor - though given that this is a complete edition, they may charge full price.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Pricing will be an important factor - though given that this is a complete edition, they may charge full price.
A complete edition is weird because there was hardly any DLC released for it. Like I think it was 2 packs. It'll certainly be full priced though, which'll kill it because it launched at £25 for the first few weeks, and the current price is £35 for standard, £45 for deluxe edition.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Frostbite running on Switch is by far the biggest news out of this.
Opens the way to feature complete ports of EA's AAA sport titles and possibly battlefield. Good stuff.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's see if this means Frostbite has been ported or if this is just a one off thing. Guess we won't know till the next Fifa
it means Frostbite has been ported, but knowing EA, it's still gonna be a one off

as for the game, we've been hearing about this for a couple years now. EA just likes to sit on games for no reason, huh

Magic

Oct 29, 2017
Random.

It is so frustrating how poorly this series has been handled since the original being an absolute gem.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Wait. So is this like the actual Plants v Zombies, or is this the weird shooter spin-off?

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Random.

It is so frustrating how poorly this series has been handled since the original being an absolute gem.
Seriously. The original Garden Warfare was so much fun, and even on PC it had an audience for a good while.
Then Garden Warfare 2 came out for double the price, and never got an audience on PC. I could never get full matches.
Battle for Neighborville, well I barely tried that one. It had really bad chromatic aberration and the visuals look blurry so I couldn't enjoy it.

It's weird how the series got worse with each game. Very mishandled.

Dec 15, 2017
Seriously. The original Garden Warfare was so much fun, and even on PC it had an audience for a good while.
Then Garden Warfare 2 came out for double the price, and never got an audience on PC. I could never get full matches.
Battle for Neighborville, well I barely tried that one. It had really bad chromatic aberration and the visuals look blurry so I couldn't enjoy it.

It's weird how the series got worse with each game. Very mishandled.
It's called "The EA Effect"

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
GW2 was amazing and a clear step up from GW1. Loved all the character variants you could get, and the multiplayer was a blast (balancing issues aside).

Battle for Neighborville is alright but they ditched the character variants and it kind of killed the game. Played it for a week or two when it first came out and haven't touched it since. It just didn't have the appeal the first two games had.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Nope. It's really hard to get matches online on PS4.

There's split screen, though. I wonder if Switch can run that.
Even for Turf Takeover? Full matches are never an issue for me in US east and west until 2-3am est.

What's the difference between Complete Edition and Deluxe Edition?
The deluxe has a few sets of skins extra but the complete edition may just come with everything unlocked.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Please have full offline support!
Every time a new one of these gets announced I hope that they will have a fully featured offline mode as I don't like my games to have a expiration date and every time I walk away disappointed.
fingers crossed for this one!