• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rouken

Oct 27, 2017
Philippines
www.ea.com

Plants vs. Zombies™ 3 Soft Launch!

PvZ3 - Available Now in Limited Markets!

Grab your shovels, zombie zappers!

On behalf of PopCap Games, the creators of Plants vs. Zombies™, I'm extremely excited to share that Plants vs. Zombies 3 is entering soft launch in select territories, for technical testing. As we enter this next phase in our journey and leave our live pre-alpha testing period, our deepest and heartfelt thanks goes to those who played for their input and words of encouragement. We listened and learned a lot, making some big changes during this period. And, we're not done: We'll still be growing the game and tweaking things throughout the soft launch period, with your feedback. As the game comes to your region, we invite you to join the journey with us!

I've played it for a couple of minutes and looks like levels are much faster to go through. Although the artstyle change will take some getting use to. Also they have some form of battle pass.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I'll give it a shot.

PvZ 2 had a rough launch but ended up being pretty great even without buying anything (added like 3x the world's and a huge amount of free plants).

I've heard this ramps up the mobile BS like energy/timers, but these days try don't bug me as much as long as they let me play at least an hour or two a day (I don't play more than that on my phone usually).

Edit: Oh SOFT launch, it's not available in the US yet.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't look too promising unfortunately.

I'm due another play through of the original anyway .

2 was a shit show.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no, the soft launch isn't in my country! Whatever shall I do? *downloads apk*

OP
OP
rouken

rouken

Oct 27, 2017
Philippines
So they're using the Garden Warfare models?
yes, on a much lower quality though

I'll give it a shot.

PvZ 2 had a rough launch but ended up being pretty great even without buying anything (added like 3x the world's and a huge amount of free plants).

I've heard this ramps up the mobile BS like energy/timers, but these days try don't bug me as much as long as they let me play at least an hour or two a day (I don't play more than that on my phone usually).

Edit: Oh SOFT launch, it's not available in the US yet.

it has an energy feature to unlock levels but replaying them does not consume it i think.

only available now in the Philippines. (weird, we got chosen first 😅)

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Opening the first screenshot and immediately seeing Premium Pass killed the game for me already.

I'm just glad the original isn't ruined on PC.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
No thanks. PvZ2 sucked because of microtransactions.

EA can fuck off.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
The visuals are something. The chibi style looks so bad. I wish I could just buy a classic style PvZ outright. I bounced off hard with PvZ2 because of its f2p nature. The first game is still one of my favorite games of the 2000's. Also why did they choose portrait mode for the gameplay??? TERRIBLE.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
The first screenshot I clicked was a text box that says "purchase a premium pass for 300 diamonds" and now I have no interest in what the game actually looks like.

Magnemania

Jan 25, 2018
this game looks like the game people think pvz2 is

pvz2 is a perfectly serviceable game that doesn't require or even encourage any microtransactions to complete if you've got any experience playing action or strategy games, whereas this thing shoves premium service in your face from the get-go

pvz2 doesn't even have any of that f2p garbage that prevents you from beating the game in one sitting, like energy or timers

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It really grinds my gears that EA refuses to just make this a small fun game but it has to be filled with microtransactions because it cant make some of the momey, it has to make all of it

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Played for an hour or so. THOUGHTS!

- As with all F2P games, there's a chance it becomes grindy shite later, but it seems pretty fun so far. They made the Sunflower automatic and now the gameplay is more about trying to get the best score by killing zombies before they get close to you and getting bonuses by doing things like having rows of the same plant and having all 6 types of plants out at the same time. A little more arcadey, essentially.

- MTX abound. There's premium currency, you open pinatas (lootboxes) to get more seeds that you can upgrade your plants' stats with, and there's what seems to basically be a weekly battle pass you can buy for about $5 that doubles the amount of pinatas you can get. The pricing on the pass and currency is very greedy, but this is EA after all.

- There's kind of a stamina system? You chase a tower that takes over areas and requires keys (stamina) to play each floor, but when the tower moves to a different area, the current area is unlocked and you can continue to fight "zombie breakouts" there without using keys. That also has a sort of stamina though, you can only fight so many zombies in each area, then you have to either wait several hours, watch an ad, or use premium currency to fight more. It seems like the further you get, the more you'll have to play without needing to wait.

- The 3D visuals are cute and I like the new plants and zombies, especially the Shakespearean zombie that overacts when killed and takes ages to actually die, making it harder to hit the guys behind him. Also it may be Stockholm syndrome from playing so much Mario Kart Tour but I like that it's in portrait mode.

In short, I think they've tried to go for more of a "play each day" sort of structure than a standard campaign that you can blast through. If you hate F2P games this won't change your mind, but if it stays fair and fun I can see myself actually playing this long-term.

Dec 14, 2019
What happened to EA'S plan to release their stuff on Steam? Can't say that the partnership made me more willing to purchase stuff from Origin.

Oct 27, 2017
As arbitrary as it is, I hate that in the game's universe we're now playing a game on a rug in a tiny room rather than actually defending our house from zombies attacking through the back yard.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Played some more of this and I understand the game a little better now. The Premium Pass isn't quite as bad as I thought, at least at the moment. There are daily tasks that give you a special currency you can use to fight big bosses called "Brainiacs", but doing those tasks also gets you 70 gems each day. The Premium Pass costs 300 gems, so if you do the daily tasks each day and don't waste your gems on stuff like shop refreshes and stamina refills, you theoretically should be able to buy it each week for free. Still in soft launch though, so they could easily tweak the numbers to stop you from doing that by the final release.

I also like the club feature, you join a group with a basic chat function where everyone can request certain seeds and donate them to each other. How many you can give is based on your level, or something like that. If you donate some seeds, you get another special currency that can be spent on rare plants you can't buy otherwise. Would probably be barren atm judging from the response from this thread but if anyone wants to start/join a ResetEra club I'd be down.

Lastly I unlocked an arena function, basically you go up against a tough onslaught of zombies and try to get a better score than another person did. If you do you gain points, if you don't you lose some. The more overall points you have, the better reward you get at the end of the ranking period. (Currently the prize for doing the best in my "Wood Pudding" tier is 112 gems and 10 seeds for Potato Mine, who seems to be exclusively available through Arena.)

I think my only complaint about the game so far is it's actually very fun and I want to play more of it, but the game has a certain daily amount of content that you can play since the zombie breakouts refresh once per day and stamina keeps you from playing too much Arena or Devour Tower at one time. If that's the worst I can say about it so far then I think they may have a hit on their hands.

As arbitrary as it is, I hate that in the game's universe we're now playing a game on a rug in a tiny room rather than actually defending our house from zombies attacking through the back yard.

You still defend your house and other places when you play zombie breakouts, the parts on a rug in a tiny room are the tower levels.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Double post because instead of talking about the mobile structure I wanted to talk about the revamped gameplay and mechanics!

So like I said before, they got rid of Sunflower which greatly speeds up the start of each fight. You might think that gets rid of strategy, but not really. It just keeps you from having to sit there waiting for some sunflowers to grow and saves you a lot of tapping to collect sun. Every fight has two phases, and between them you can use tacos to buff your plants and move the plants around. I really like this change as it gives you a bit of leeway early on to get sloppy as long as you can bring it back by the second phase. For example, if a zombie gets past my initial line of defense and I have to place a Wallnut near the back to stop him, I don't have to get rid of that Wallnut afterwards since I can just move it to the front line between phases.

Tacos are also a new gimmick that lets you upgrade a plant in some fashion. The Peashooter will increase its fire rate, the Wallnut will get armor, the Snapdragon will be able to hit flying enemies, etc. This happens between phases and adds some more strategy as who you upgrade can save your bacon in the second phase. I like to put two Snapdragons in the second and fourth spots behind armored Wallnuts, ensuring they hit every lane and also stop flying attackers. The trick is making sure I have two Snapdragons by the end of the first phase (or enough sun to plant one), because if I don't have them then, I can't upgrade them later.

Plant food is also back from PvZ2 and works roughly the same way, it's a super move that slowly fills up over the course of the battle that you can give to any plant. I recall in the second game I wasn't a big fan of the mechanic as it felt more like a cheat, which wasn't helped by the fact that you could straight up buy some mid-battle if you were doing poorly. You can't do that here, and you definitely need to be smart with how they're used because the zombies in this game don't fuck around. I also just unlocked the ability to use one cherry bomb per battle as a Hail Mary if things go sideways and you have no other option. That one does feel more like a cheat, but with the increased difficulty I ain't complaining.

This game also gives you a list of every zombie that can appear before every battle as well as their specific traits and what plants are effective against them, a very nice addition. Overall the difficulty seems well balanced, the zombie breakouts are pretty casual and not too tough which lets you play more with the scoring aspect and makes 2x speed viable to play with, and the tower fights start getting hectic quick for some real challenge and mercifully do not test you on your score.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Looks like a PVZ-themed slot machine flipping the fuck out.

At least Battle for Neighborville is pretty ok.