• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
The original Plants vs. Zombies is such a brilliant game. It saddens me to see where the series is now.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Man, I've been addictively playing Bejeweled 3, wondering if I'd ever see another great Bejeweled. But in the back of my mind, I knew PopCap was gone. And yeah, they are. It's just EA's FTP arm now. So many great, truly casual games turned into hog feed.

Apr 9, 2019
Widescreen PvZ on Switch please. The original will suffice. Such a tightly designed, constantly engaging and hilarious game. Great soundtrack too.

PvZ2 was exactly what I was afraid would happen when PopCap sold itself to EA. =/

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
OK but when the heck are they going to announce Garden Warfare 3 and Need for Speed? Didn't EA say both of those were coming this year?

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I wish EA would leave companies like Popcap alone. We got a lot of great games when they were on their own. They weren't filled with microtransactions. They were well priced.

Since EA bought them, the only games they've really produced have been the garden warfare games. Oh, and adding microtransactions into games where they don't belong. Because that's all EA knows anymore.

Maybe someday Popcap can go back on its own and they'll be allowed to make the games they used to make.

zeknurn

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still waiting for them to put out PvZ2 on PC without any of the micro transaction garbage.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I miss old PopCap. Typer Shark, Heavy Weapon, and Insaniquarium were my jam. (If they made the latter today, it would be flooded with microtransactions...)

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Will def get in on this. I've gotten back into GW2 and will support this franchise wherever it goes. Hopefully less microtransaction crap than 2.

I guess I thought that it was leaked that they were working on Garden Warfare 3, am I wrong and this is what was leaked?

Coen

Oct 25, 2017
Antwerp, Belgium
If you vehemently dislike this, the original creator, artists, and other original team members of the Plants vs Zombies team released Octogeddon on Steam (and Switch) a while ago. It is only $8.88, and worth a go. It plays like an evolved version of the original game - but the lane are now octopus limbs

store.steampowered.com

Octogeddon on Steam

You ARE Octogeddon, a massive mutant octopus with one mission: DESTROY the world! Grow more tentacles and evolve each of them into deadlier and deadlier weapons until you become the ultimate eight-legged killing machine!

How did I not know this existed? Thanks for bringing it up in this thread!

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Will there be microtransactions?

There are no microtransactions during Pre-Alpha. "

Alpha though? Yeah Alpha will be fucking riddled with them. What a franchise this could have been, what a disaster it has become.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If you vehemently dislike this, the original creator, artists, and other original team members of the Plants vs Zombies team released Octogeddon on Steam (and Switch) a while ago. It is only $8.88, and worth a go. It plays like an evolved version of the original game - but the lane are now octopus limbs

store.steampowered.com

Octogeddon on Steam

You ARE Octogeddon, a massive mutant octopus with one mission: DESTROY the world! Grow more tentacles and evolve each of them into deadlier and deadlier weapons until you become the ultimate eight-legged killing machine!

Can't believe I never heard of this before. The trailer tone alone feels more like PvZ than PvZ2 ever did

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
a42b5a2f25.jpg

Fuck me
Oh fuck ME. RIP PvZ.

May 25, 2019
London
Make a true sequel to the first one with its progression and challenges and sell it to me for $30. I ain't touching another microtransaction-laden F2P grinder like PvZ 2.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
I should be excited, but after what they did to PvZ2 (and which I played a lot), this is a HARD pass for me, which is such a shame since I freaking love this franchise so much.

RepedeYuriKarol

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jul 17, 2019
Man they really supported PvZ2 for a long time, its been like...6 years now.

Now I hope they double down on Garden Warfare 3 and make it more like GW1 and less like 2

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
PvZ2 was 'okay' when it came out. The overworld was at least a bit interesting with unlockable and branching paths. Then they ruined it by making it fully linear.

I mean, they ruined it with the bullshit microtransactions and P2W before that, but at least it had some redeeming qualities at launch.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
I am sure that someone at EA have said "What do you think, can we have microtransactions during the pre-alpha..?" and there was discussion about it.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
can't wait to have to pay to use the mighty sky water to grow my plants before the start shooting peas

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
So another free-to-play piece of shit instead of a worthy successor to the original?

Fuck off EA.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Would have loved to see a proper sequel to the original, but not touching anything that's F2P and if I was it certainly wouldn't be some EA scheme. RIP PopCap :(

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
So what about Garden Warfare then? Wasn't it said earlier this year that there would be a new one this year along with a new NFS?

I don't know wtf EA is doing.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
PvZ 2 started out horribly, but it eventually grew to one of my favorite phone games.

Has a huge amount of content even without paying a cent, and it might be hard, but every level is still completely doable without using a single power or premium plant.

Based on the screenshots of this game...
It looks way worse than 1 or 2 sadly.

Vertical screen orientation, and looks like it might have gacha style plant unlocks based on the plant screen menu.

Magnemania

Jan 25, 2018
I'm always terribly confused about all the microtransaction hostility towards PvZ2. Compared to other big microtransaction-heavy games like Fire Emblem Heroes, there's not much push to spend money; the game drops oodles of its coin currency and the gem currency is only particularly useful for purchasing optional plants.

The game is genuinely challenging and fairly balanced (in most worlds; Big Wave Beach pulls some nonsense in its later levels) when playing without microtransactions. I refused to spend a cent on the game until completing it three times over, and after doing so I felt I enjoyed my time enough to warrant buying some of the premium plants to fool around with.

It is a drastically changed game from PvZ1, but that's hardly limited to microtransactions; PvZ1 is a very relaxing, simple game and a smooth ride, but it rarely asks one to think about what plants one's deploying or requires particularly quick interaction with the screen. PvZ2 is vastly faster-paced and gives the player vastly more creativity in how they approach each level, but the difficulty's done similarly to a NES or Arcade game.

Given the recent history of the franchise, it is likely that this one's going to be trash.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I'm always terribly confused about all the microtransaction hostility towards PvZ2. Compared to other big microtransaction-heavy games like Fire Emblem Heroes, there's not much push to spend money; the game drops oodles of its coin currency and the gem currency is only particularly useful for purchasing optional plants.

The game is genuinely challenging and fairly balanced (in most worlds; Big Wave Beach pulls some nonsense in its later levels) when playing without microtransactions. I refused to spend a cent on the game until completing it three times over, and after doing so I felt I enjoyed my time enough to warrant buying some of the premium plants to fool around with.

It is a drastically changed game from PvZ1, but that's hardly limited to microtransactions; PvZ1 is a very relaxing, simple game and a smooth ride, but it rarely asks one to think about what plants one's deploying or requires particularly quick interaction with the screen. PvZ2 is vastly faster-paced and gives the player vastly more creativity in how they approach each level, but the difficulty's done similarly to a NES or Arcade game.

Given the recent history of the franchise, it is likely that this one's going to be trash.
Yeah, PvZ 2 is definitely challenging, but even that they've improved with updates. You can (slowly) level up your plants over time with random upgrade drops during play. Amazingly, they didn't patch the game to be WAY harder to compensate for this, they just added extra-hard challenge levels to the end of some of the worlds.

I think most people (understandably) bounced on PvZ 2 early on when it still only had 3 worlds, so the "premium" plants were actually a large chunk of the plants available. Either that or they bounced when EA made occasional stupid decisions like making the lawnmowers a "pay coins to regenerate" kind of thing, but that led to a LOT of hate directly to EA and they reversed that like a week or two later.

They almost quadrupled the number worlds in the game 3 to 11, adjust world order to make the difficulty curve better (looking at you Big Wave Beach, which is now the second to last level), and each new world adds new plants (I've bought like 2-3 premium plants, but I have over 80 plants to choose from).

They even added a multiplayer mode, but I think I've only tried it once.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
I actually liked PvZ2 just fine. Felt a lot like the first game and I never felt especially hassled to spend money (and I never did in my playthrough).

So I'm pretty hyped for this!

But also, release Peggle Blast 2, you cowards!