• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
New news, new thread.

"The Government has held a crisis meeting with Amazon TV executives as the network threatens to pull plans to film the Lord of the Rings series in New Zealand.

At US$1 billion (NZ$1.49 billion), it is touted as the most expensive television series in history – and accordingly, the most lucrative for the country where it is filmed.

Earlier this year, production company boss Jennifer Salke confirmed New Zealand was being considered as the location – but now, that's in jeopardy."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainme...he-rings-television-series-in-nz-under-threat

If not New Zealand, then there are a plethora of Middle-earth-esque locations throughout Europe.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Remember when New Zealand literally changed their employment laws to appease Warner and make it easier for them to fuck over their employees?

Now imagine what they'd do for Amazon. The possibilities are endless!

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So like warner, amazon wants the ability to get around decent labor laws? (assuming it's like the hobbit stuff mentioned in the article)

Thordawgg

Nov 5, 2017
NZ is synonymous with Lord of the Rings, I want it to be there but I hope it's not at the expense of workers rights.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
"We totally will invest the 1 Billion dollars in your country, NZ, LOTR IS New Zealand!"
"You know, on second thoughts, that's a MAYBE. How about some goodies for us."

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm tired of already wealthy corporations that pay hardly any taxes (if any at all) bickering over every last nickel they can get out of countries.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's sad that the Middle Earth franchise is now a tool for big corporations to basically threaten the workers in New Zealand.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing now the show is in continuity with the 6 PJ movies I can see why they want to do it in New Zealand, but you can find places that look similar enough.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand's government is under no obligation to agree to a deal that isn't in their favor, and Amazon is under no obligation to film there.

Doesn't really mean anything. New Zealand has a vested interest in getting the show filmed there because it would boost spending and create a significant number of jobs that would last for several years. A project like this would funnel quite a bit of money into the economy.

Which just means Amazon can play hard to get until they're given better incentives. Amazon obviously wants to film the series in New Zealand for set consistency and reusing locations, but that isn't going to stop them haggling for a better deal.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Doesn't really mean anything. New Zealand has a vested interest in getting the show filmed there because it would boost spending and create a significant number of jobs that would last for several years. A project like this would funnel quite a bit of money into the economy.

Which just means Amazon can play hard to get until they're given better incentives. Amazon obviously wants to film the series in New Zealand for set consistency and reusing locations, but that isn't going to stop them haggling for a better deal.

I know, I'm saying no side has any reason to take a bad deal, so no one can cry over Amazon trying to get a lower bill. NZ can accept anything as long as it's in their favor, and if it's not then skip it. It's not like Amazon was obliged to make this series, let alone film it there.

Deleted member 48205

Banned
Sep 30, 2018
What's the worst that can happen? If it ends up being bad you can just ignore it, if it's good you can enjoy it.
I definitely will ignore it if it turns out bad, but the whole project just seems so unnecessary and pointless. It's probably because of how awful the Hobbit movies turned out to be honest, and this project just reeks of cash grab
Hope I'm wrong

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
New Zealand is Middle Earth. It's going to be compared to the original trilogy and if they haven't got the location right then it's going to look like a knock off and I'm already cynical about it. Amazon have just as much reason to push for this as NZ does for the economic boost.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
Remember when New Zealand literally changed their employment laws to appease Warner and make it easier for them to fuck over their employees?

Now imagine what they'd do for Amazon. The possibilities are endless!

There was a different political party in power then, while the current one is much more employee focused.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Come to Switzerland, the actual place where Hobit and LotR took place originally! But it'd probably cost 10 Billions ;)

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly does it even fucking matter for the New Zealand economy? At what point does it matter when the government will end up footing the bill in the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars?

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe they should hold a competition and pick 25 countries to see who will give them the biggest incentives.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I wonder if Amazon has a dedicated "shake down local governments" division yet.

Nevertheless, as someone who spent the better part of a year backpacking around NZ and visiting every publically accessible LOTR filming location, I really want them to make it happen.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
Wait before WB threw a fit, independent contractors were able to claim entitlements from the company that hired them? WTF, that is bullshit and should have been changed anyway.