• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe you should check out Peru instead of shitposting. 34% poverty rate is a well documented issue.
How about listening to the OP, instead of shitposting statistics? What does the poverty rate have to do with him, when he says he will have no problem getting another job if he returns?

Move to Mexico. Plenty of UX/UI jobs in here, visas are easier/faster to get, people in industry are not racist, food is good and quality of live is good, same language, cheap and quality educational opportunities.

Work on your Japanese, get some job experience, apply to Japan while eating some taco
Better yet, he can do it online. I lived in Japan about 6 months total while doing online work. It really wasn't that expensive - I lived on about $2000-2500 USD per month in Tokyo.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Also, I would absolutely not trust a visa sponsorship on some Japanese company.

Japanese job culture is horrible. Couple that with isolation, culture shock and lack of funds. Sounds like a TERRIBLE time.

Move to Mexico. Plenty of UX/UI jobs in here, visas are easier/faster to get, people in industry are not racist, food is good and quality of live is good, same language, cheap and quality educational opportunities.

Work on your Japanese, get some job experience, apply to Japan while eating some taco

Reasonable advice. Come to Mexico! You can watch anime, take some japanese clases and play japanese videogames here, too! Does Japan have tacos? Maybe. But are they good? They are not good. Case closed.

Computer

Oct 31, 2017
Scotland
You are not an English native speaker meaning you will have great difficulty in getting English-teaching job.
Sounds as though you don't speak/know Japanese and you're moving to Japan?
How will you get even an entry-level job without understanding basic language? You mentioned bartender which requires knowledge of Japanese drinks, how they would like the drink made, measurements, etc. All these instructions will be in Japanese... You will not get even an entry-level job because of this and run out of money quickly.
You've never even visited Japan!!! What if you don't like the country or the infinite amount of other factors that are affected by moving to a country with a completely different culture from your own.
You also said about having your mom's best friend MOVE back to Japan just to find entry-level jobs for you?! This part is like the most crazy to me, I just don't understand. You can find entry-level jobs online with absolute ease. If not, walking around any street in any town or city in Japan and looking in windows, you'll see vacancy signs (mind you, you won't be able to read them if you don't understand the language...) Also seems incredibly selfish to have your mom's friend move to another country to have her find you bar tending interviews.
And you already said you've started selling your possessions before having anywhere close to a plan, never mind a good one!
And you've really got no plans for employment other than entry-level. When moving to another country, you will never want to be in this position.

I could go on and on and on.

So incredibly ridiculous and irresponsible. Please take much more time to consider your options. Visit the country first for a month and see if you actually like it first. Learn the language so you can get a job and actually complete basic tasks (this includes even entry-level jobs like bar tending or admin assistant). Do NOT do this.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Reasonable advice. Come to Mexico! You can watch anime, take some japanese clases and play japanese videogames here, too! Does Japan have tacos? Maybe. But are they good? They are not good. Case closed.
Tacos here are mierda ;(
---

I want to echo the opinion that whatever OP decides he should be studying Japanese NOW. Sorry but studying Japanese for "years" and not being conversational doesn't really tell me this is the dream of his life. His favourite animus may have subtitles, but not real life here.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I moved to Japan without a job and found one. Ended up living there for two years. This was after I already spoke Japanese and lived there for a year before, though.

I think your plan could result in a sudden return home. Whatever you do decide, I recommend that you start studying now. I have a handful of friends that saved money and went to language school in Japan until they were N2 or N1 level in Japanese. These people are all pretty successful. If you could afford it, that'd be my top recommendation.

Deleted member 7156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I moved to Japan without a job and found one. Ended up living there for two years. This was after I already spoke Japanese and lived there for a year before, though.

I think your plan could result in a sudden return home. Whatever you do decide, I recommend that you start studying now. I have a handful of friends that saved money and went to language school in Japan until they were N2 or N1 level in Japanese. These people are all pretty successful. If you could afford it, that'd be my top recommendation.
You're also an English native speaker so finding an English teaching job was a less challenging task than it'd be to the OP.

The language school is good advice though, it has been mentioned in the thread but it can't be repeated enough.

feyder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is by far one of the worst ideas I have ever read and I hope it is a joke. Good luck to you.

Oct 30, 2017
It's a bad idea, very bad.

I am currently planning on moving to Canada post-uni, from the UK, and cannot wait to go. Like I'm still doing my degree but I'm so impatient some days, I can't wait for it to be done. However, once I finish uni I'm still going to get a job in the UK first, so I can save up more money, while simultaneously trying to get on to next years wave of graduate schemes in Canada. If I can't get on to any grad schemes, I will have to move over to Canada without a job lined up - but by such a time would have enough money saved that it won't be a problem for quite a few months. Furthermore, I have family friends over there who I can stay with/who can help me find jobs and places to live. I also have dual citizenship, so visa stuff isn't a concern at all, and have been to Canada many times previously so know what it's like over there.

My point in explaining that is that even though I'm desperate to be done with uni and over in Canada working a good job, I'm not just throwing caution to the wind as soon as it's remotely possible. If I took that risk and things didn't work out, I'd be forced to come home and live with my parents, having to start from scratch with my savings. I'd be like 2 years older by the time I could try again, too.

You lack the money to pull this off if you are selling most of what you own to do it. Unless that's purely from a desire to have a more minimal lifestyle, which is fine. But if you're selling necessities or valued possessions, you're going to regret it. As you don't know Japanese, I highly doubt you will be able to find many jobs in Mass Media that will be possible for you. Going to interviews for being a bartender and stuff and hoping for the best is not a good short term plan. Going to interviews over the course of a few months and hoping for the best is how you can be reasonably sure you can get a job...a timeframe any shorter than that really risks you not being employed. Especially if what other people are saying is true (which wouldn't surprise me) and Japan aren't the most fair country on earth when it comes to hiring Peruvians.

If you want to go soon, teach english as a foreign language.

If you want to move there and have actual draw as a job candidate, start learning Japanese for a few hours everyday, work on your UI/UX career and look into moving in a few years when you know the language properly and have a job record that makes you stand out. If you do that option, make sure you holiday in Japan at least once so you know it's something you want to do.

From what I know of the working conditions in Japan, I can't say I understand the appeal. If you love Japanese culture, just try and work on getting a higher paying job that allows you to take constant holidays over there, and import stuff from the country without worrying about your financial situation.

Oct 29, 2017
Visited Japan for nearly 3 months through a visiting researcher position and am currently in Japan again for a couple of weeks for a conference (I'm a PhD student). Not having lived here for longer than 6 months I extremely heavily encourage you to at least visit. You don't really know Japan until you've lived here for a while. Despite "living" here for a summer I still don't feel like I've scratched even 5% of the entirety of the country (language, culture, etc.) Life as a foreigner also carries with it some pretty deep isolation as days go by, that goes double if you don't speak the language all that well (I don't read or speak Japanese other than the Kanji for "pharmacy" and a few words/phrases, can't understand anything spoken to me). You can get by just fine if you are in a global city like Tokyo but the more you leave the less English-friendly it becomes.

In terms of immigration everything I've heard makes it sound like the country is only truly interested in highly skilled labor, and even then you have to have a damn good reason why they'd how a foreigner over a native of the country. As much as I love Japan and would like to live here for at least a year or two, I would never really consider permanently moving here and would probably cap my stay at like 3 years, and that's assuming I'd even get the opportunity to do so.

Just focus on visiting for now. It's an awesome country but you really need to be here to start truly considering all that staying here entails.

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
What's witholding you from learning the local language? Just curious.

I am learning, its just a long process and to get a job I need to be fluent which realistically is years away yet. I only mentioned it like that because when I moved here I just had basic knowledge, lots of people here speak English so it's not exactly hard to get by but finding work usually requires you to be fluent in a language not just bumbling your way through conversations.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
god i cant believe this 'plan' actually formulated in someone's mind enough for them to feel confident about posting it publicly lmao

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I love your enthusiasm and I hope you can make your dream happen, but this seems like a route that almost certainly will not work. If this woman who is Japanese though can help provide assistance and a place to stay and not just an address, you'll at least be better off financially.

Endaeias

Jan 11, 2018
Excuse me if I repeat any of the suggestions, comments, or criticisms that have already been posted (I read the first and last pages and am certain a fair amount of the content here has been repeated, so I don't feel entirely awful about doing the same to a degree or two).

1. Do not attempt to move to Japan until you have visited - I know this sounds radical in and of itself. However, as someone who has lived in several countries (Britain, Japan, United States [citizen], and Germany), I can tell you that culture shock is a thing. You will miss home, no matter how much living in Japan may have been your dream. Acclimate yourself to the environment by visiting Japan first and foremost. No matter how much any of us tell you about Japan, your experience will vary and you will react differently (even if the difference is minuscule). Moving directly to a new country, new culture, and new environment haphazardly has a far greater impact than most of those who are just suggesting that you should "go for it, just for the experience".
  2. Trying to skirt around work visas will burn you later down the road - Yes, it's pretty fun and exciting to be in a country where you have to earn your own way without having to take caution to the wind (other than possibly being reported as an illegal immigrant). I did some touring around Europe ala backpacking style, back when it was easier to do some side jobs for cash. With immigration being a hotter topic than it was back then, the level of risk has escalated as well. Not only that, if you do end up loving it in Japan (if you ignore my above suggestion and all goes well), you'll be screwed royally when you're going to have to go back to your home country to get a legal visa that may be declined since you skirted around legal immigration for so long.
  3. Getting rid of your possessions on a gamble is, generally speaking, a bad idea - Okay, sure. It sounds like a pretty solid perspective. You don't really need all the things you own. I'm sure that most of those items are "Quality of Life" objects or hobby/fandom stuff. Just keep in mind that you're getting rid of all of these things on a gamble that has low odds of success. That leads me to the next thing ....
  4. You should try to get a legit work visa - As others have mentioned, getting into Japan to teach English when you're not natively English is pretty difficult. I lived in Japan for nine months as a foreign exchange student in high school, then returned again to teach in a small business that specialized in private tutoring/lessons for foreign languages (where I taught English, Russian, and German). The last time I went it was a little complicated. Mostly because the business wanted me to come over on a tourist visa. I did throw caution to the wind and worked for them under a tourist visa (illegally) for 4 months before I left (of my own free will). I knew that the reality would lead me to #2 on this list one day and just couldn't validate putting my future at risk for the business I was working for (supplied me with accommodations and cash to live on) nor did I want to really ruin any chances of returning to Japan as a genuine tourist again one day. If you do not meet the requirements of a work visa (I suggest having at least a Bachelor's degree in a language, communication, or else you may want to pursue a Master's degree in your current field), then do some investigation to get over there legally in some other way.
  5. Finances aren't as easy as you'd think in a foreign country - If you're already struggling to get enough money to support yourself for a short-term in Japan, the chances of you being able to sustain yourself if things go awry are minimal (at best). There's a reason why a lot of visas (regardless of the country) have financial requirements. When you move to a new country, most want to jump right into the culture to find their "middle ground". This can mean everything from going out drinking to find like-minded friends to going out to eat to get used to the local cuisine to living in a city/hub town that has more people who speak languages you understand better (which often have a much higher cost of living). These activities get expensive (and fast!). Governments want to ensure that if they let you in as a potential immigrant that you're able to sustain yourself, independently (money in the bank and a valuable degree/certification/skill set to make you competitive for positions that will allow you to continue to support yourself are often requirements for this reason alone).
  6. While there are others that will speak English in hubs/cities, having a limited knowledge of Japanese is going to be an issue later on - Like it or not, this will come back to haunt you. Yes, it is easier to learn while you're in the area but you should also have a basic understanding of Japanese. I would suggest your vocabulary and comprehension should be around the "middle school curriculum" level. I know there will be some here that will disagree with me on this. I will yield and say it is possible to live in a country without being fluent in the native language. However, if you want to experience Japan in its fullest (not just limiting yourself to cities or tourist-heavy locations) you will quickly realize that having some understanding of the Japanese language will make your life significantly easier. It will also improve your career prospects in the country (even if you do decide to, eventually, initiate the plan you've laid out in your OP).
That's everything I have to say. Yes, it's a wall of text. Shoot me. This is a topic that I've seen time and time again. It's not just Japan but <insert random country here>. There are visas and immigration processes for a reason. Yes, getting a visa is costly and it isn't a guaranteed scenario either. Though, you can either throw caution to the wind and (most likely) screw things up to the point where you're back in your home country without any of your possessions or you can take your time and do this all carefully and genuinely.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And food/having a roof to sleep under are more valuable than experiences, just saying.

If he begins to run out of money he can fly home or to a cheaper country. It's not super complicated. If he is destitute then it doesn't really matter where he is, but it doesn't seem like he's that desperate, unless I missed something. He's educated and has skills, he can work online from SE Asia if Japan doesn't work. It doesn't have to be all or nothing, be a huge success in Japan or be starving on the street while salarymen walk over his lifeless corpse.

Again I think he'll fail, his plan is dumb. But he could succeed. It's worth a shot.

DopeToast

Oct 27, 2017
There are so many things wrong with this plan, but whatever you do, please don't quit your job before having something else already lined up.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
If he begins to run out of money he can fly home or to a cheaper country. It's not super complicated. If he is destitute then it doesn't really matter where he is, but it doesn't seem like he's that desperate, unless I missed something. He's educated and has skills, he can work online from SE Asia if Japan doesn't work. It doesn't have to be all or nothing, be a huge success in Japan or be starving on the street while salarymen walk over his lifeless corpse.

Again I think he'll fail, his plan is dumb. But he could succeed. It's worth a shot.
So he fails and decides to jump ship before losing all his money - how exactly is he moving to SE Asia? We don't even know how much money he's taking to Japan. Plane tickets, rents, food - this is all expensive, especially coming from a Latin American country.

So Vern, your point is that he should follow your dreams, but don't you think it'd be a much better idea to plan this a bit more? Does that really ruin the magic of "following your dreams" for you?

Endaeias

Jan 11, 2018
If he begins to run out of money he can fly home or to a cheaper country. It's not super complicated.

Yeah, that's not exactly how this story ends. The reality is that most people will simply keep trying to make their dreams come true until they're pressed against the wall of failure.
I'm all for the mentality of chasing after your dreams. It's how I lived the majority of my life. Coming from that experience may have taught me a few things; especially the idea that it's often better to plan for failure than it is to plan for success. Success isn't a straight arrow that you somehow stumble upon when you're following your dreams. You will fail. You will have to pick yourself up. You may even find yourself homeless (which I've been there as well). The more prepared you are for the inevitable failure, the better off you'll be.

The idea of following your dreams without much regard to the repercussions isn't very wise, especially in the modern world. Things have changed in the last 15-20 years.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So he fails and decides to jump ship before losing all his money - how exactly is he moving to SE Asia? We don't even know how much money he's taking to Japan. Plane tickets, rents, food - this is all expensive, especially coming from a Latin American country.

So Vern, your point is that he should follow your dreams, but don't you think it'd be a much better idea to plan this a bit more? Does that really ruin the magic of "following your dreams" for you?

I'm saying of course he should plan more, in an ideal world. But dude seems rash and naive, and overly optimistic and maybe a little simple even. And I think that's a good thing. So many people, especially on this forum, are so insanely negative, it's nice to have some threads like this sometime. I really don't think he would ruin his life by going to japan and realizing he made a mistake and then coming back home. It'll be a great story and a great lesson.

If this adventure really does end with him being destitute then fine, it was a bad decision and I feel bad for encouraging it, but someone with his apprent education level and skill set shouldn't have any trouble earning money. If he does end up homeless and penniless it's not because he went to Japan though, it's because he has a myriad of other problems.

There is no magic to me, with regards to following your dreams. Following your dreams is just being true to yourself and what you really want from life. I'm saying that failure isn't such a bad thing, especially when it comes to your hopes and dreams. I've failed plenty of times. I've been nearly broke. Guess what? I survived, I learned, I grew, I became more realistic (but still optimistic) and I make a lot more money now. And I'm not sitting at home wondering "what if?" That last part is the most important.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a terrible plan but fuck it right? Might as well enjoy yourself with the limited time we all have being alive. Just know it could end terribly.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, that's not exactly how this story ends. The reality is that most people will simply keep trying to make their dreams come true until they're pressed against the wall of failure.
I'm all for the mentality of chasing after your dreams. It's how I lived the majority of my life. Coming from that experience may have taught me a few things; especially the idea that it's often better to plan for failure than it is to plan for success. Success isn't a straight arrow that you somehow stumble upon when you're following your dreams. You will fail. You will have to pick yourself up. You may even find yourself homeless (which I've been there as well). The more prepared you are for the inevitable failure, the better off you'll be.

The idea of following your dreams without much regard to the repercussions isn't very wise, especially in the modern world. Things have changed in the last 15-20 years.

Obviously if the dude doesn't know when to change course to avoid disaster then the story will end badly. Again that's not a Japan problem or a problem with his dream, that would be a personal problem.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I'm saying of course he should plan more, in an ideal world. But dude seems rash and naive, and overly optimistic and maybe a little simple even. And I think that's a good thing. So many people, especially on this forum, are so insanely negative, it's nice to have some threads like this sometime. I really don't think he would ruin his life by going to japan and realizing he made a mistake and then coming back home. It'll be a great story and a great lesson.

If this adventure really does end with him being destitute then fine, it was a bad decision and I feel bad for encouraging it, but someone with his apprent education level and skill set shouldn't have any trouble earning money. If he does end up homeless and penniless it's not because he went to Japan though, it's because he has a myriad of other problems.

There is no magic to me, with regards to following your dreams. Following your dreams is just being true to yourself and what you really want from life. I'm saying that failure isn't such a bad thing, especially when it comes to your hopes and dreams. I've failed plenty of times. I've been nearly broke. Guess what? I survived, I learned, I grew, I became more realistic (but still optimistic) and I make a lot more money now. And I'm not sitting at home wondering "what if?" That last part is the most important.
Hey, that's cool and all, but he'd probably prefer to succeed. Succeeding is better than having a "great story". Succeeding is a pretty great story too.

And honestly man, you don't know how tough it is to move to the "first world" from a Latin American country. Tokyo is absurdly expensive for us and he'll see his savings disappear in front of his eyes (this is me talking from experience - and I had the huge crutch of having Japanese relatives here in Tokyo who saved my butt [see: gave me food and money] a couple of times back in 2016).

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
User warned: Don't insult your fellow members.
So... you are not interested in offering him any constructive advice, you are only interested in promoting positivity on the forum at the expense of someone possibly getting bad advice and failing because you think it's worth it? What a selfish dick.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey, that's cool and all, but he'd probably prefer to succeed. Succeeding is better than having a "great story". Succeeding is a pretty great story too.

And honestly man, you don't know how tough it is to move to the "first world" from a Latin American country. Tokyo is absurdly expensive for us and he'll see his savings disappear in front of his eyes (this is me talking from experience - and I had the huge crutch of having Japanese relatives here in Tokyo who saved my butt a couple of times back in 2016).

Then let's hope he succeeds. I wish him the best.

If I were in his shoes I'd rather he go now than "plan" for 2-3 years like others suggested, suddenly I'm 30 and It's "too late" or I accidentally got my gf pregnant or my mother is sick or something shit like that and now I'll never try.

Stories are worth more than you think. I'd rather have a lot of stories than a lot of money to give my kids. Lucky i should
have plenty of both, and the second is thanks to the first.

witchedwiz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't move to another country without having a job there, please. Also, don't move to another country without a job there if you don't speak the local language.
i'll add "man, don't move to a country without having visited it for a quite large amount of time"..
what if you don't like it?
what if the corporate lifestyle//work-ah-holic approach of japan doesn't agree with your own agenda?
so much stuff could go wront it's not even funny...

plus looking for a job without knowing the local language and with a limited fund? not really a fan..

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So... you are not interested in offering him any constructive advice, you are only interested in promoting positivity on the forum at the expense of someone possibly getting bad advice and failing because you think it's worth it? What a selfish dick.

Yup, that's exactly how he reads.

Endaeias

Jan 11, 2018
Obviously if the dude doesn't know when to change course to avoid disaster then the story will end badly. Again that's not a Japan problem or a problem with his dream, that would be a personal problem.

It's more of a "dream issue" than anything else. People get wrapped up in chasing the dream they want, at any cost. When you're willing to sacrifice everything you've worked for, up to this point in your life, for your dream - you're already at that point (which he seems to be, as he's off-loading his possessions without much consideration of the consequences).

It's always romantic (in one's mind) to pursue your dreams. The end doesn't always justify the means, but it sounds novel and great when you're planning it out. I still remember the time I went through the process of meeting up with an online girlfriend from Saudi Arabia, her father got the required documents for me to get a visa to stay with them for a few months (far more strict than most countries) and after staying there for three weeks - I found that it was time for me to bail. In my head, everything seemed to make sense. Break the lease of the townhouse, sell off my video games and anime stuff, throw caution to the wind since I had the support of her parents as well... yep, nope. No exposure to the area and culture shock got me good.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: Be careful with suggesting the whole "follow your dream" thing. When someone is already willing to give up everything just for this one dream, there isn't much runway they'll have. There aren't any flags or alerts that trigger in your mind until after the fact. Hindsight is one helluva thing. Experience can be fun and all but it can also be a painful event that you don't recover from easily.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Hmmm I don't think that's what I said at all, but you do you. I offered plenty of constructive advice in previous posts. Dick.

Oct 27, 2017
Look, Dreams are important. Never let someone stop you from your dream. The thing is, you need to reach the dream. Its not about making a leap more than it is starting a long journey.

Dreams are tough, they require you to address flaws in your character and embrace them. Here in america, we have the American Dream, which is the pursuit of life, liberty, and happiness. Its a very important concept over here, actually.

Its true the closer you get to making a big decision, the more scared you become. This is a natural feeling. In order to make these decisions, its true you will have to face yourself to justify them. What your answer to yourself in that situation is your true answer that nobody can take from you. If you look at this topic, see the risks, and still want to take the plunge, face yourself and ask "is this my answer?". The uncertainties of life are hard to address, we can give advice but in the end, you will have to make choices you arent sure about. Thats life, and a natural part of following your dream.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Hmmm I don't think that's what I said at all, but you do you. I offered plenty of constructive advice in previous posts. Dick.
No actually you haven't. All you have said is "it's a bad idea and you are naive but DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BECAUSE ADVENTURE! Who cares if you lose money and fail?!" over and over. Fuck off.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I dont know what you mean though? He recommends doing it even though David-kun does not have money to even take a normal vacation over there. I mean it's a open and free country that loves Black and brown people and give them many options in Kabuchiko. Peru to Tokyo without any perspective or money. I would love to support the decision but I also dont like people wasting everything just to let them experience "maybe i should have planned something"

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User warned: Don't insult your fellow members.
Yup, that's exactly how he reads.

Another dick. Great.

Y'all promoting keeping possessions like they matter so much. Who gives a shit. Dude has skills (apparently), he can work online. He can try different things if and when Japan doesn't work. Again unless i read it wrong he's not destitute, he can sell his accumulated belongings and have a try in Asia. He can work online thanks to his marketing and design experience. He can try and (probably fail) to get a job as a brown dude teaching English without a visa. Lots he can do, if he tries. Actively discouraging him is the dick move. Telling him a realistic scenario but suggesting alternatives Is the right thing to do.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No actually you haven't. All you have said is "it's a bad idea and you are naive but DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BECAUSE ADVENTURE! Who cares if you lose money and fail?!" over and over. Fuck off.

Again, if it is gonna leave him destitute than nah I'm not encouraging it. If he can get back to his country and get a job (as he stated) or some other place more realistic as I suggested, then yes of course he should do it.

You are a moron by the way.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Another dick. Great.

Y'all promoting keeping possessions like they matter so much. Who gives a shit. Dude has skills (apparently), he can work online. He can try different things if and when Japan doesn't work. Again unless i read it wrong he's not destitute, he can sell his accumulated belongings and have a try in Asia. He can work online thanks to his marketing and design experience. He can try and (probably fail) to get a job as a brown dude teaching English without a visa. Lots he can do, if he tries. Actively discouraging him is the dick move. Telling him a realistic scenario but suggesting alternatives Is the right thing to do.

You're a lot more transparent than you think you're being.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
OR HE COULD PREP MORE AND THEN DO IT

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Then let's hope he succeeds. I wish him the best.

If I were in his shoes I'd rather he go now than "plan" for 2-3 years like others suggested, suddenly I'm 30 and It's "too late" or I accidentally got my gf pregnant or my mother is sick or something shit like that and now I'll never try.

Stories are worth more than you think. I'd rather have a lot of stories than a lot of money to give my kids. Lucky i should
have plenty of both, and the second is thanks to the first.
30 is not "too late" if he gets serious about learning Japanese yesterday. And I'm not talking about monetary success - I'm talking about OP coming to Japan and being able to enjoy it with knowledge of the language, a proper job, a full stomach, and without the prospect of having to go back to Peru in red numbers.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Another dick. Great.

He never once said himself that he would be able to work online. He will kill his dream by being a drain over there. People wont even give him a chance with all the missing skills and him being brown. Why even take the risk when he does have nothing except for a Bachelor from Peru which nobody will care about over there. Do you even know about the situation over there? It's like some people send him off wasting everything he ever had for nothing.

Why not let him take a vacation for a few weeks first and See how people will react to him as a tourist? :)

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He never once said himself that he would be able to work online. He will kill his dream by being a drain over there. People wont even give him a chance with all the missing skills and him being brown. Why even take the risk when he does have nothing except for a Bachelor from Peru which nobody will care about over there. Do you even know about the situation over there? It's like some people send him off wasting everything he ever had for nothing.

Why not let him take a vacation for a few weeks first and See how people will react to him as a tourist? :)

I know he didn't say he could work online, he said he has marketing experience and UI/UX design skills. Those are both things that can be done over the internet, if the OP can't do it then that's a problem for him. It was a suggestion on how to succeed and make money in a foreign country. That's all.

And yes I know what life is like in Japan and Asia in general. Even for brown people. I've been out here 6 years almost. I believe in my first post in this thread I mentioned being brown will make it a lot harder.

Oct 27, 2017
30 is not "too late" if he gets serious about learning Japanese yesterday. And I'm not talking about monetary success - I'm talking about OP coming to Japan and being able to enjoy it with knowledge of the language, a proper job, a full belly, and without the prospect of having to go back to Peru in red numbers.
The scholarships to japan cut off at 35, he will have difficulty entering language school around that age too. You def want to be in japan before you are 35 i think.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think Vern secretly hates the OP and is trying to push him to ruin his life.

Yep. In another timeline i would love to see Vern reading David - kuns journal and seeing how he digged into shit. On the other Hand i wish no harm in Davids case at all and would support his decisions if He had a better plan prepared.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
I won't bother pointing out the ridiculousness of your plans since at this point I think that's been made more than apparent. But don't give up on going. Japan isn't some magical anime mecca like so many nerds want to believe and the experience living there is markedly different from visiting, but that doesn't mean you won't enjoy it. It's a great country. I expected the worst when it came to a lot of things that people warn about such as racism and dealing with immigration matters and have been pleasantly surprised. If you study up on your Japanese a decent amount and are polite and respectful, people will generally try to meet you halfway in my experience.

Of course I can only speak from my experience as a white American who moved here with so-so Japanese, had a company sponsored visa, a built in support group of friends and about $4000 of emergency money in the bank... so most of my advice probably isn't very helpful in your case. That being said, I stopped working for my original company only a few months in so I can offer advice on job-seeking. (Which you should do BEFORE you go!)

Check out Gaijinpot.com and daijob.com. The government's site, hellowork is also an option but it's all in Japanese. Gaijinpot tends to have more education-related jobs (including some for Spanish teaching every once in a while!) than others but I've seen UI/UX positions advertised there before. Daijob seems to have more technical jobs so you might have more luck there.

It took me a few months and a handfull of interviews to find employment via the former and ended up using up my emergency funds by then. I landed two part time education jobs that totaled up to about the same salary as my first job, so that could be an option for you. I wouldn't count on it though, and as someone who just found out one of his contracts isn't renewing and is desperately looking to be able to afford rent in a few months I can't say I recommend it.

Yo both of our offices are looking for staff atm, and that includes stuff like overseas marketing, community management and such.

https://www.snk-corp.co.jp/recruit/employment/index.php

We need all the help we can get so apply and/or spread the word plz.
Aww, nothing part-time at the Tokyo location? :/ That's too bad. If I hadn't re-signed with one of my current jobs for the rest of the year I'd definitely apply.

I live a couple blocks from ArcSys so maybe I'll knock on their doors! ..though my N3-ish Japanese would probably be a problem there.

Endaeias

Jan 11, 2018

I would suggest reading some of my "wall of text" response to the OP, in general.
Possessions may not be the "end-all" of everything but when you fail, you're going to need them to bring you back from the fall. It's basically the same thing he's doing now but at the "end" of the experience that you're suggesting.
I'm not actively discouraging him but providing realistic expectations based on my own experience, knowledge, and insight on moving to different countries (some "on the whim" and some "with a robust plan").

Relying on your skills that can be done remotely (i.e., programming, UI/UX, technical writing, etc.) may work out in the short-term but it isn't something that's sustainable. Why? Currency conversion.
Cost of living is relatively low in Peru (which is why it's often a destination for those in the West [US/UK/Canada]). Working with established clients in Peru will not yield enough to sustain himself in Japan. A two-person meal in Peru (Peruvian Sol) is just barely enough to get yourself a basic meal in Tokyo (around ¥1,000). The language barrier would prevent him from finding work locally, in Tokyo. The lack of a work visa would deter him from most clients in Tokyo and the communication gap (when UX/UI is mostly communication-driven) would be the second obstacle to overcome. Both of these I suggested looking into before moving to Japan "on a whim".

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
vern trying to live vicariously through the OP and takes it personally when people say its a dumb idea i guess?

Nah you can go back a page or two, I've taken risks similar to OP. They worked out for me. Mostly.

Admittedly I'm #blessed with white priv and better planning skills, but still... it could work out. And not having a bunch of possessions is only a good thing.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yep. In another timeline i would love to see Vern reading David - kuns journal and seeing how he digged into shit. On the other Hand i wish no harm in Davids case at all and would support his decisions if He had a better plan prepared.

I have no idea what a David kun is. Assume it's a weaboo or whatever. Why does it have to be another timeline and not this one? Got a link?