• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you think TLoU2 will work on PS5?

• Owning the PS4 version will give you access to an enhanced PS5 version at no extra cost

Votes: 1,089 56.5%
  • Owning the PS4 version will give you access to an enhanced PS5 version with a minor upgrade cost

Votes: 118 6.1%
  • The PS5 version of the game will be separate from the PS4 version and will be sold as a remaster

Votes: 692 35.9%
  • Other (leave a comment)

Votes: 28 1.5%

• Total voters

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd imagine that if you've got a digital/disc version then there will be a patch.
I'd assume that they'll also release a PS5 version that also takes advantages of the PS5 better, where the install will be much smaller as assets can be stripped out that are repeated.
So if you own it you'll get a free upgrade but those that don't own it can buy a really optimised version.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
It's the same disc, graphics and affects set to low if running on a PS4.

Or the actual game is the PS4 version and there's a free dlc with textures and etc to run exclusively on PS5.

moarloot

May 31, 2019
I don't think there's a "PS5" version just running the PS4 version with maybe a resolution boost and a stable framerate.

Ostinatto

Oct 30, 2017
PS5 BC is gonna Run the same the same as the PS4 PRO

Remastered PS5 version with all the good stuff for $40

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Free upgrade is the right thing to do, and would earn a lot of good will and trust. Selling an upgrade isn't ideal, but might go over.

Having to buy a new SKU/remaster for proper PS5 support would be completely the wrong move, and I don't see it happening.

Gold!e

Jun 7, 2018
Britain
You won't get a PS5 "version" on it's launch but I'd bet the PS4 version will run faster and at a higher resolution on PS5. Boost Mode or Cross-Buy, and features like that are probably part of the home UI stuff they don't want to reveal yet.

I can see a PS5 GOTY Edition end of 2021 with multiplayer, season pass, RTX & native 4K.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
IMO if they do anything but a free upgrade/update to the game so that it looks/plays better on PS5 it will suck.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would they limit sales by not already declaring that PS4 owners can get the PS5 version free? You guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment.

Maybe_its_Cthulhu

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think they will do an Enhanced release separately and bundle it with Last of Us 1.

So it will have
Last of us Part 1
Last of us Part 2

Both will have Ray-tracing, Native 4k at 30fps or Native 4k at 60fps (no or reduced Ray-Tracing) modes.

If lucky Part 2 will get a 4k Enhancement patch seperately and that's it.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
They will look bad if they charge anything. They won't do it. Matt has implied this several times, they are handling this like Microsoft.

And the Pro patches for The Last of Us Remastered and Uncharted 4 were for free, too. And this is essentially just a patch (though it's highly likely there will be a physical PS5 disc out there, possibly with MP, which I don't think will be on the PS4 version).

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's just no way first party stuff doesn't receive a free enhanced patch. None. I can't even fathom it.

Zultima

Mar 4, 2020
I simply ask myself "which will make Sony the most money?". Therefore option 3. If the game had multiplayer I'd see the other options being viable so they could make DLC money but as is nah.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
At launch it will be an enhancement patch, but I feel they will properly remaster the game with all bells and whistles a couple of years later and charge for it.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Thinking about this again, if Sony is clever they will announce that TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima will automatically get an upgrade on PS5, that'll entice PS4 owners to jump in easier I think. I'd imagine both devs probably have the game running on PS5 already this close to next gen. There are probably small team doing tests and stuff.

Maybe they'll release a complete version of TLOU2 (SP+MP) for PS5 later.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
I just don't understand why Sony wouldn't have announced it before launch if it was a free upgrade

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
I think they will do like with Pro Patches, free upgrade with somewhat limited improvements.

Remaking TLOU was an entirely different process back in the day, PS3 was wildly different from PS4.

Oct 25, 2017
It'll get a free patch. Believing otherwise is insanely cynical. And given that we've never been in a situation like this with Sony where old games can be upgraded via downloadable patches on a new console, there's no evidence to believe they're going to start to nickel and dime gamers now, when their competition is refusing to do so. It'd be very bad optics. Especially if whatever upgrades it does get don't end up making much of a difference to most consumers.

My hope is that Sony isn't so overly confident as to assume that their position as the market leader affords them the opportunity to be more greedy. Small gestures like free PS5 upgrades for their games go a long way to keep consumer relations good. There are other ways to make more money that aren't scummy.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The only way Sony could get away with selling it again is if included the multiplayer mode, that was PS5-only. Which I don't think will happen. It'll have to be a free patch, they can't add in enough graphical benefits to justify calling it a remaster and slapping a new price tag on it.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I just think that announcing it would upgrade for free on PS5 would increase sales
Announcing the patch would serve to sell Ps5 at launch, which seems far more important. They still need to detail how retro-compatibility will work on the Ps5, and using TLOU II later this summer seems like a good idea. Being a ND game I expect 60 fps, nativa 4k or even RT (even if limited) to be implemented via patch.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
The more I think about it, I feel like there is a good chance the PS4 version will be updated to run at 4k60 on PS5 with no other enhancements
Then next year they will release a remastered PS5 version as a separate purchase with like full ray tracing and other upgrades and maybe some dlc/ left behind style bonus chapter

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I think we are past the point where Sony would have said something about it if it were closer to option A) instead of option B) or C)

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Either going to be free day 1 enhanced or they'll release it for $50 bundled with a new DLC expansion game early next year. I expect regardless, the PS4 version should work day 1 at least.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Either way I'm definitely not buying it again. Really hope Sony pulls through on the backwards compatibility stuff.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be glad to be proven wrong, but with Sony's shitty track record for these things I fully expect them to want to get paid again.

Oct 27, 2017
I hope Sony isn't dumb and knows that the console that win the first year of the gen basically wins the gen, they have to make the PS5 as appealing as possible right from the start. Making $5M of a payed upgrade for TLOU isn't worth the nice press and favor of gamers for making it free, especially at the launch of the console.

Don't be dumb Sony.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Option 3 of the poll is in essence people hoping for (or pessimistically expecting) Sony to do a very predictably terrible business move, with a hint of condescendance at all the great remasters that came and are still coming. I'd wager my avatar they won't stick their head in that bear trap.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am guessing that since we don't have any information yet, it is going to be backwards compatible with a full priced remaster down the road.