• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will Skyrim Anniversary Edition be released in 2021 for next gen consoles?

• Yes

Votes: 319 50.4%
  • No

Votes: 71 11.2%
  • No new SKU, but Skyrim Special Edition will receive a next-gen patch

Votes: 243 38.4%

• Total voters

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
November 2021 is 10 years of Skyrim, and lord knows Bethesda likes to release new versions of Skyrim, so why would they pass up the opportunity to mark the occasion with yet another version for PS5 & XSX with some fresh bells and whistles?

Or, they could simply patch the current Skyrim SE with official 4K/60fps support, and perhaps some form of ray traced lighting.

Or, they could do nothing at all.

What do you think will happen in 2021 for Skyrim?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Of course. As long as y'all keep buying it they're gonna keep porting it.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
November 2021 is 10 years of Skyrim, and lord knows Bethesda likes to release new versions of Skyrim, so why would they pass up the opportunity to mark the occasion with yet another version for PS5 & XSX with some fresh bells and whistles?
Because they'll be releasing Starfield and they won't want their own game to compete with it. Besides, the whole "Skyrim re-releases" thing is way overblown. Skyrim was released on 2 generations of consoles. 2. A lot of games get released on 2 generations, Sony's Spiderman being the latest example.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Slight tangent but I actually wonder if we might get an Oblivion remaster at some point.

Next gen patch for Skyrim seems like an easy win for 10th anniversary (and another value add to Game Pass).

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Because they'll be releasing Starfield and they won't want their own game to compete with it. Besides, the whole "Skyrim re-releases" thing is way overblown. Skyrim was released on 2 generations of consoles. 2. A lot of games get released on 2 generations, Sony's Spiderman being the latest example.
My thoughts exactly. Maybe the Xbox version will be patched to run at 60fps like Fallout 4 will be, but even then there is already a mod for that.

I'm also firmly in the "Starfield will release in 2021 camp."

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
Well, since the Xbox One/ Ps4 versions will just work on the new boxes, wouldn't they need to put in a meaningful amount of update work to distinguish them with the last versions? Seems like that makes it less likely? They don't have to do anything to keep selling their game on the new machines.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I was always good for dipping back in for "one more run", but I'm done with Elder Scrolls until the next mainline sequel comes out. I'm sure they'll do a release for the 10th year anniversary, but I'm officially leaving Skyrim behind as well.

yeah, I feel you. I've watched that intro and "tutorial" 70 times, at least

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
I hope so. At least a next gen patch. It's ridiculous how long it's been since we have had an Elder Scrolls game and the next one is still at least 5 years out.

Think about that. By the time TES6 comes out it will have been 15 years since TES5. I hope they remaster or rerelease Skyrim and Oblivion.

Jun 5, 2018
Will it? Possibly, should it? Please no, as someone who is still playing Skyrim let it sleep, if they give us new dlc (not happening) it would be one thing but as is it's a 9 year old game only still alive because of the community, it's high time we had a sequel in a new setting, if you want to make it a free upgrade or a pre-order bonus or up situation that's one thing i suppose but even then it's been done to death and beyond, time to let Skyrim rest with the ancestors.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno if Microsoft would release a fully remastered or remade Skyrim on PS5. That seems like the sort of thing they'd use to generate Gamepass sales.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I'm expecting something to happen in some shape or form due to the Bethesda / Microsoft partnership.

If they do eventually do a next gen update, hopefully this increases the 5GB limit for mods.

I managed to work well enough with the 5GB limit on a Xbox One X, while not comparable to my PC load order, I'd say even if they bumped it up to 8GB that would open up a ton of options.

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
I'm hoping for a Morrowind 20 year anniversary remake in 2022.

That would be great too. Honestly any single player Elder Scrolls game in the next 1-2 years to hold us over until TES6 would be amazing. Whether it's a remake of one of their previous games or a spin off like New Vegas, I don't care as long as we get some more Elder Scrolls.

At this rate TES6 has a chance of being a launch game for a next generation Xbox and a new Elder Scrolls game skipping TWO console generations.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Something will happen undoubtedly.

But in the meantime, if you're not on PC there's this for XSX/XSS:

Zarshack

May 15, 2018
Australia
I don't see a new version coming with the existing BC and mod support the current special editions enjoy. If anything happens maybe a next gen patch.

Aug 10, 2019
giphy.gif

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
I wish we could get a fully modded, next gen version of Skyrim. From the videos I've seen on YouTube, modded Skyrim is a completely different experience with all the new graphical assets, QoL features, quests, etc etc... It's staggering at how much has been added.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
there's too much of a gap until their next title for them to not release SOMETHING. Whether it's a PS5/XSX version that takes advantage of the extra power for performance, or even more visual upgrades.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Odds are yes, I expect we'll see another lighting overhaul and graphic improvements to make the game look even better. Personally I'd like to see a "Skyrim: Expanded Edition" where Bethesda either adds in new content that is equal in size too the Dragonborn dlc. Or have them restore the cut content in vanilla Skyrim. The original vision for the Skyrim Civil War and a restoration of the Bards college content. As well as the windhelm gladiator arena would be completely worth a 3rd purchase.

none of this will happen and we'll probably only get graphics improvements. But I can dream damn it.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
Lol no. It'll get a patch and we'll get a new physical SKU for PS5 and Series X. That's it.

Basically I'm expecting a resolution/FPS bump and an increase to the amount of RAM for mods.

Edward

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
It will get a patch and then re-release the special edition on the PS5/Series S/X with the patch on it.

It won't be a another remaster.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Considering Doom Eternal and Elder Scrolls Online are both getting free next gen upgrades, I'd imagine Skyrim does too.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i'd be surprised if it doesn't get a current gen update or re-release.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
My left field wish: an update to the existing game that adds a quest and new locations that acts as a lore teaser for TES VI.

shnitzel

Dec 3, 2017
Maybe like a new kind of special edition or something like they did with last gen consoles.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
100% if GTA5 can be milked over 3 generations, why not Skyrim. Especially as it's the last good game Bethesda have made.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
I'm willing to bet that there will not be new upgrades of Skyrim, and that it will just be added to Game Pass forever sometime next year.