• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Starfield's hero/heroine make sounds when they talk?

• Yes, it will have a voiced protagonist.

Votes: 560 47.1%
  • No, it won't have a voiced protagonist.

Votes: 630 52.9%

• Total voters

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
These days, there's been an inexplicable draw to the filmic school of storytelling. One way this can manifest in WRPGs is through having a voiced protagonist, conversations shot over the shoulder -- something that some may argue comes at the cost of precise and open ended choice driven dialogue and character roleplay.

Bethesda introduced a voiced hero/heroine for the first time in Fallout 4, and while I personally enjoyed it for what it was, others found it didn't suit BGS' style of game at all. This was not mimicked in Fallout 76, their next main project, which was also a semi-MMO.

Which leaves the question -- whaddya think's goin' down with Starfield? Think we'll see a voiced protag, or is it way too big for that?? And do you WANT a voiced protagonist? Leave your three cents down in that reply box thing..!!

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I could see it going either way.

That said I'd personally lose all interest if they aren't voiced.

Plasmid

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After Fallout 4, i expect it to have a voiced actor, i expect the voice / dialogue options to be horrid though.

Resident4t.

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I'll take a voiced protagonist as long as they go back to the blank slate protagonist l.
The kid/spouse thing from fallout 4 was awful

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
I think they will because there's no expectations behind Starfield being in line with any specific type of game and adhering to certain rules.

I also think ES6 and Fallout 5 will not because they said the dialogue wheel was ultimately a failure.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it will. FO4's voiced protagonist was SO BADLY received that even people who liked the game generally found it to be the worst part.

I think Bethesda will realize (rightly) that trying to have a super open-ended game AND a set protagonist doesn't really work.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if it's voiced i would love to see them have multiple voices (ie not just feminine and masculine) and not be gender locked

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Every single one of Fallout 4's biggest problems stem from the fact that they have a voiced protagonist.

I really hope they go the silent route. Bethesda doesn't have it in them to offer a sprawling RPG with interesting branching dialogue/choices AND a voiced PC. It's one or the other. The choice is easy.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I think it will, yeah. I also really hope that it will too. From the trailer they definitely seem to be focusing a lot more on the storytelling and the lore of the game, and I feel like that will tie in nicely with having a voiced protagonist as well.

Fallout 4 certainly had it's issues, but a voiced protagonist definitely wasn't one of them.

The only BGS games I can see not having voiced protagonists from here on out are Elder Scrolls games, not only because I have a feeling that will remain the "traditional" RPG series from BGS but also for the logistical reason of needing up to 20 different voice actors for potential main characters (10 races, male and female characters)

qatak

Oct 27, 2017
if ZA/UM can voice disco elysium final cut, Microsoft can voice Starfield. I bet it'll happen.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
No, they already came out and said this will be the most hardcore rpg bethesda has ever made, which im hoping means lots of choices and dialogue so I dont think they'll voice it all.

I prefer voice acting but not at the expense of options.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
With what they've said about this being a more hardcore RPG and giving you choices about your origins I can't see the character being voiced.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No, they already came out and said this will be the most hardcore rpg bethesda has ever made, which im hoping means lots of choices and dialogue so I dont think they'll voice it all.
Where did they say that?

Please someone show me. I want to look forward to a Bethesda RPG again. Those are the right words for me but I need to know that you're not paraphrasing haha

CONCHOBAR

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who actually liked Fallout 4 (despite the voiced main character) and followed the saga closely pre- and post-launch, I'm pretty sure Todd himself acknowledged at some point that the voiced protagonist was a misstep. Fallout 76 doesn't have one.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
You think modern Bethesda would actually put out an AAA open world game with no voice acting whatsoever?

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
the cover art makes me thing there will be preset male and female characters, in that case it would be obvious

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
I hope they don't, so that's how I'm voting.

And if this game really is "Skyrim in space", I hope it continues the ES tradition of just letting me roleplay as my character instead of inserting a bunch of characterization for the protagonist.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I think yes, but I prefer no.

I don't have any problem with a voice protag IF they give you enough options to play out scenarios how you want to, and my experience with FO4 was that the voiced protag was one of the things that limited the scope of the role playing with dialog.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
It would really lower my interest by a decent amount if my char would be voiced. That char is me, he has no voice but the one in my head.

Hopefully they listened to the Fallout 4 critic in that regard.

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
yes

I'm also assuming that at some point you will meet an npc who will tell you that he took a blaster shot to the knee

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with silent protagonists, but I liked hearing Nora in Fallout 4, so I'd also be fine with a voiced protag for Starfield.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
A voiced protagonist works, when you spend the money to have them and the surrounding cast record enough lines to allow robust dialogue options and conversations. Bethesda has the bank necessary to make that happen, so I hope they took such a path.

I totally wouldn't be bothered by a silent protagonist either.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Depends, if you want the game to have a dull protagonist, then no voice (if it's a set one, not one through a character creator), if you want the protagonist to be at least slightly interesting, voiced.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It would feel pretty silly if the game is meticulous enough to render engine ignition sparks but then has a silent protagonist

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I'm game either way. Falllout 4 having a voiced protagonist isn't one of the things I would change about it.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Todd Howard mentioned learning their lessons from Fallout 4 in terms of how they handled the voiced protagonist. So if it does, which I expect, it should be handled better at least and have more options.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I assume they won't be able to help themselves. Would be nice if they're not voiced though

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
Man I really hope, if the protag is voiced, they're at least a CHARACTER.

Make them have an established personality and motivations and all that that we can tweak through dialogue options and gameplay options.

But silent protagonists are always terrible, they've never worked well and none of them are good. You will never change my mind on this.