• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Stadia just posted a new blog interview with Dylan Cuthbert containing more details about the game:
https://community.stadia.com/t5/Sta...ends-an-advantage-while-saving-the/ba-p/54928

Some choice quotes that mostly explain their implementation of State Share:
By clicking the link to your capture, they can start from the beginning of your unique stage in PixelJunk Raiders and use your imprints - as well as any they create - to complete the level and save the Tantallians! In this way, states passed between several players will evolve slightly depending on how each person plays the game.

We developed PixelJunk Raiders to use State Share so that when a particular stage is too tough to beat by yourself, players can cooperate to overcome the alien invasion by sharing their states back and forth, building up the available imprint defenses. Which one of you will beat it first?

You can also place gestures for other players to see, such as hand-waving, laying down to enjoy the view, or expressing anger. I can imagine a chain of people sharing game states and their gestures being seen by a much larger audience than they originally intended. In this sense, it's a form of communication too, so I'm interested to see if any emergent player behavior evolves from it. It's in the hands of players now!
large

As far as what attracted them to the Stadia platform:
I love the ease of access players have to Stadia, you can stream amazing quality games right there in your browser or even on a tiny notebook PC. I had always wanted to make a rogue-like game with vast automatically generated alien vistas and when I heard about the tech behind Stadia, I saw a great opportunity to expand the concept into a fully realized 3D world.

I have a keen interest in asynchronous multiplayer games, so State Share enabled me to create a really unique and collaborative way to play PixelJunk Raiders. Paired with the accessibility of Stadia, State Share is such a compelling feature since it allows players to try a new game state as easily as clicking a link and running it right there in your browser.

Strand game?

Last edited:

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see PJ is still kicking around. Game looks great, but unfortunately I have no interest in getting involved in Stadia at this point in it's lifecycle.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's just weird how many won't play this because it is on Stadia. Most should have good internet in a Stadia supported country so that it is only a game purchase away.

If this would be on a hardware platform you don't own, you would have to buy that platform first.

Anyway, I will wait for reviews. Already got Returnal on my list which looks similar from some gameplay elements.

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
It's just weird how many won't play this because it is on Stadia. Most should have good internet in a Stadia supported country so that it is only a game purchase away.

If this would be on a hardware platform you don't own, you would have to buy that platform first.

Anyway, I will wait for reviews. Already got Returnal on my list which looks similar from some gameplay elements.
For me it's not a question of if I can purchase this. Not owning the actual game and instead purchasing a license to play on a platform that might not be around in the near future makes the value proposition difficult. I would hate to pay for this and then not be able to access it.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017

For me, it's about ownership and trusting google long term. There are also certain things I need as a PC gamer that I can't get with streaming (resolution/framerate). I've also been burnt by Stadia (NBA2k).

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

The supported country part is the problem for me unfortunately.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I have horrible data caps.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
An indie developer making a rogue-like? Consider me shocked! Talk about a saturated market.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
An indie developer making a rogue-like? Consider me shocked! Talk about a saturated market.
The whole State Share is a pretty unique spin. Don't think anything in the market does anything quite like it. It'll be interesting to see how it actuality works in practice though.

And for those saying they won't play because they don't want to pay for something they don't own...it's free for Pro members. Just sign up for a free month if you haven't claimed it yet or pay the $9.99 for one month if you want to try it (plus get around 30 other games). It's basically like a streaming Gamepass.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I love the ease of access players have to Stadia

Definitely aren't talking about the US. I live in the 8th largest city in the United States and the best internet I can get is 50mbps down. And it rarely meets that speed. While also being divided by multiple residents. Stadia is meaningless until our internet infrastructure actually allows "ease of access" for a majority of people.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Definitely aren't talking about the US. I live in the 8th largest city in the United States and the best internet I can get is 50mbps down. And it rarely meets that speed. While also being divided by multiple residents. Stadia is meaningless until our internet infrastructure actually allows "ease of access" for a majority of people.
Yeah, the infrastructure here is really wonky. I'm always amazed to hear stories like yours. I live in podunk Arkansas and I've had AT&T 1gig fiber with no data caps for several years now. Companies in the US really need to work on getting high speed broadband out to everyone.

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
Looks fun, will definitely give it a spin since I get it for free on Pro :)

Also, for Stadia fans like myself, just enjoy stuff like this and ignore the hate.... nothing is going to change anyone's mind if they are set on a specific side of this fence. I can't make someone buy it or play Stadia any more than they can convince me not to ;P

Guess I know what I am playing Monday night though!

HiredN00bs

Oct 25, 2017
Laurel, MD
I don't understand why anyone would lament or envy people who use Stadia because this game is exclusive. Anyone in countries with Stadia and a Chrome browser can play the game for free, even if you already used the Pro trial offer. Just make a new gmail account and then sign up for the Pro trial with that.

As always, I recommend playing Stadia on a Chromecast at 720p, or barring that, an Incognito window forcing 1280 x 720, and with a Stadia controller connected by WiFi to the blade, to minimize input latency.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Looks fun, will definitely give it a spin since I get it for free on Pro :)

Also, for Stadia fans like myself, just enjoy stuff like this and ignore the hate.... nothing is going to change anyone's mind if they are set on a specific side of this fence. I can't make someone buy it or play Stadia any more than they can convince me not to ;P

Guess I know what I am playing Monday night though!
Same, I think the State Share is pretty rad. Not only from a community perspective but also pretty neat from a single player perspective as well. Really like that procedurally generated world? Just take a screenshot or clip and you can come back to it whenever you want. Not only that but I also have my brothers as part of my Stadia family group so we'll be able to swap worlds between each other. Looking forward to trying it out Monday!

It seems it was developed with State Share specifically in mind so it makes me wonder if/when it comes to other platforms if they'll try to adapt that feature or nix it all together.

Bjorn

Feb 11, 2018
Denmark

They don't even have to buy it. Just get a month of free Stadia Pro, and they're all set.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017

Stadia faces the same challenges many other new services face, mainly uncertainties and invisible barriers. Is my country supported? my internet speed enough? What about latency? What about my data cap? Do I own the game? Those uncertainties pushed potential users to "maybe later", and "maybe later" can mean never if there are loads of alternatives out there.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Pixeljunk games were brilliant fun. This is a decent win for stadia in terms of buying exclusives.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019

I'll definitely try it out if I can use my regular controller (Xbox Series). I'm not buying any hardware to play one or two games. I do like Pixeljunk games.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stadia faces the same challenges many other new services face, mainly uncertainties and invisible barriers. Is my country supported? my internet speed enough? What about latency? What about my data cap? Do I own the game? Those uncertainties pushed potential users to "maybe later", and "maybe later" can mean never if there are loads of alternatives out there.

Most of these are fixed by a free trial where you even get to play this game. I agree that the last two are quite serious issues though.

But let's not act like that is the real issue of some when the first few low effort posts show what the real problem is. At least moderation stepped up or this thread would have been even worse.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
a couple of reviews are out
opencritic.com

PixelJunk Raiders Reviews

PixelJunk Raiders is rated 'Weak' after being reviewed by 10 critics, with an overall average score of 57. It's ranked in the bottom 11% of games and recommended by 10% of critics.

Bjorn

Feb 11, 2018
Denmark
Outside combat feels a lot like playing Journey. Combat feels a bit off, might just have to get used to it.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Like the art style. The gameplay sounds interesting how sometimes it's a meditative exploration game like Journey and other times, it's a frantic action/roguelike with tower defense elements. The online element also sounds intriguing.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
I just went through the training mission during my lunch break (still a great perk of Stadia, being able to play games in in the office, without installing anything).
It feels different than I expected. I was expecting something like Risk Of Rain 2. Its not. It feels a lot slower. Its more about melee combat, rescuing survivors, and traipsing across large landscapes.
Too early to really say how things will go once I'm into the game proper.

Apparently they are aware of the lack of option to invert the camera, and will have something out soon. I'm an inverted-look player myself when using a joypad, so hopefully it doesn't take them too long.

Turnbuckle

Oct 27, 2017
Kalamazoo, Michigan
I can't remember the last time I had my hopes raised and then so thoroughly dashed by the end of a headline.

Pixeljunk Monsters (mobile) was one that had this kind of affect on me.

Pixeljunk Monsters 2 had a similar effect once I saw pictures. (Bought anyways, played about 10 minutes then never touched again)

Pixeljunk Monsters on PS3 is one of my favorite games and the decisions on the series since have totally killed my hope for a proper follow-up. I'd like for a remaster that was completely identical to the original with online play added.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Just tried out Stadia for the first time the input lag wasn't to noticeable, but the resolution was horrible it looked like sub 720 at times.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Only played for about 30 minutes. Will definitely dive in more tonight. First impressions are pretty good though. I was expecting something more akin to Heavy Rain 2 however this seems quite different with a much heavier emphasis on exploration and much larger environments. Combat also seems to have alot of options with different skills, imprints, upgrades, etc.

Oh and it's a really great looking game if you dig the stylized look. Definitely looking forward to playing more tonight.

EDIT: Really love the jump mechanic. I think I saw upgrades for it too so kinda makes you think how large later environments will be. I didn't include the state share with this because it's just the tutorial level:

https://stadia.google.com/capture/a7444585-ba4e-4fac-8da3-009101059446

Last edited:

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
a couple of reviews are out
opencritic.com

PixelJunk Raiders Reviews

PixelJunk Raiders is rated 'Weak' after being reviewed by 10 critics, with an overall average score of 57. It's ranked in the bottom 11% of games and recommended by 10% of critics.
Nice. I really hope more major outlets review this game. Gaming Nexus seems quite enamored with it:
PixelJunk Raiders is one of the most beautiful, moody, and tough games I've ever played. But it is the potential of the Stadia community crowdsourcing the game that makes it such a fascinating and unique experience. A unique experience on its own, PixelJunk Raiders has capacity to become a gamechanger if the gaming public choses to adopt it. Either way, this is a fascinating piece of video game history in the making. Attention should be paid.

Rating: 8.8 Class Leading

Last edited:

Turnbuckle

Oct 27, 2017
Kalamazoo, Michigan
???
I already have this on Steam, Vita, and PS3.

Not ideal playing on Vita for many reasons.
I want the "big comfy couch" experience I had on PS3 ported over to PS4/PS5.

Anywho, this game looks interesting. Makes me wish I'd taken that free Stadia offer I got from Google a few months ago just to try it out.

Q Games were on a roll in the first few years of the 7th generation and I'd love to see them be successful.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
???
I already have this on Steam, Vita, and PS3.

Not ideal playing on Vita for many reasons.
I want the "big comfy couch" experience I had on PS3 ported over to PS4/PS5.

Oh, you mentioned that you wanted the same game with online multiplayer & Ultimate has that. But you're right in that it's only on Vita & PC for some reason.

Turnbuckle

Oct 27, 2017
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Oh, you mentioned that you wanted the same game with online multiplayer & Ultimate has that. But you're right in that it's only on Vita & PC for some reason.
Oh, yeah. I'm surprised they haven't made a switch version too tbh. It's a perfect game for portable/docked hybrid.

I'm getting way off topic here. Just excited to see life in Q Games and it has me hoping for more.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
This looks fantastic! Is this seriously going to be included with the PRO games for March? Because I would actually purchases this!
Yup, its a pro game. Already available to claim and play.
Anyone that doesn't have Pro can buy it for, I think £20-ish or your local equivalent, and its yours to keep for however long Stadia keeps running (which at this point is anybody's guess, but Google are unlikely to shut it down without giving some notice).

EDIT: Beaten by Donnie!

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Understandable. One of the devs were desperately looking for a PS5 in Japan. I was thinking - shouldn't he already have one?!

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Looks decent enough.

I bet it'll release sooner or later on other platforms, tho.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Resolution's too high; can't see them pixels.

Why Stadia only, though? I think they're betting on the wrong horse but who knows how that money flows, but reaching a huge audience wasn't probably one of their goals.

talkingood

Oct 27, 2017
It occurs to me that this forum wouldn't tolerate the kind of blatant platform warring and driveby insults for any other platform, but I guess that's just how this place is. I get that people are concerned about game preservation (and data caps in many places), but for a lot of people this service fills an important niche. It would be nice if people could be less dismissive.

On topic, this looks interesting and I'm glad to see support for these games.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Resolution's too high; can't see them pixels.

Why Stadia only, though? I think they're betting on the wrong horse but who knows how that money flows, but reaching a huge audience wasn't probably one of their goals.
Its implementation of State Share seems very Stadia specific. Granted I'm sure there was money involved but Cory sounded genuinely interested in what Stadia offered and wanted to build a game around it. It makes me wonder when/if they port it to other platforms how they'll bring the State Share feature over, either by trying to re-adapt it or nixing it altogether. Interview done with Cory earlier:
I had always wanted to make a rogue-like game with vast automatically generated alien vistas and when I heard about the tech behind Stadia, I saw a great opportunity to expand the concept into a fully realized 3D world.

I have a keen interest in asynchronous multiplayer games, so State Share enabled me to create a really unique and collaborative way to play PixelJunk Raiders. Paired with the accessibility of Stadia, State Share is such a compelling feature since it allows players to try a new game state as easily as clicking a link and running it right there in your browser.

EDIT: Speaking of resolution though, OriginalPenguin94 on the Stadia reddit did a pixel count and got 3K (2880x1620).

Last edited:

Almyn

Oct 26, 2017
N-Ireland
So I spent a couple hours playing this despite the camera invert being missing.

It's a lot of fun, Different to what I imagined. Much slower paced, More exploration. Combat isn't the best but it's serviceable and might open up a bit once more upgrades are unlocked.

I like it a lot.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
can't invert look. can't rebind gamepad controls beyond 3 presets (which, among other things, means "dash" requires *holding* the L3 click down, ugh). so it's a pain to control, and when you're inside the Stadia ecosystem, you can't do things like manually rebind via, say, the Steam Controller interface.

plus, you take damage when you "boost jump" and land normally, which killed me while I tried to grab the first glowy red orb-whatever thing. I ragequit and guess I'll wait for a patch.

(I forgot to mention that the tutorial doesn't tell you how to block/dodge until maybe the 6th step, which is weird because it dumps a ton of enemies onto you almost immediately, and they pile on and can insta-kill if you're not careful. sloppy on Q Games' part.)

Last edited:

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
Going in 100% blind, and gonna live stream for about 30 min... if anyone wants to see it.

EDIT: Ok after playing for a bit, had no idea what I was doing. Like, at one point I lost my sword (maybe it broke?) so I had to go back to punching things. Still have to master jumping. Otherwise it played smooth and was interesting. I can see it being very involved once you get a ton of power ups for your avatar.

Will try it again later! For now, going back to work.

Last edited: