• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'm sure it will come to other things in future - this is modern revenue generation for developers.

Multiplatform developers can now go:

Stadia or Epic
Then PlayStation Exclusive
Then Game pass

Take a chunk of cash for each one , whilst you work on the game for the next platform

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Never liked any of the PixelJunk games from what I tried, but this looks pretty cool. I would like to try it out eventually.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Just so we know random mod posting in this thread... first post, second post etc., this the standards we're working to now on era?
It's allowed for anything that is universally despised for some reason. Sanctioned dunking.

Try doing this in certain other threads and you'll be against the grain and be moderated in a second.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
my constructive comment is that the art style has a cool mobius kind of vibe and the music is nice

my unconstructive comment is well_good_luck_morgan_freeman.gif

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Reminds me of TowerFall releasing exclusively on Ouya... Fortunately their next game was Celeste.
The Ouya was a tough sell, but Stadia doesn't require any hardware. You don't even have to download the game. The barrier for entry couldn't be any lower. If Stadia had more mindshare I could see devs approaching them, rather than the other way around.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Just so we know random mod posting in this thread... first post, second post etc., this the standards we're working to now on era?
I've already reported the drive-by, low effort posts over an hour ago. Imagine if this was a thread about a Switch/Xbox/Playstation exclusive. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't fly there so not sure why nothing has been done yet here.

How about you lighten up. You want a real response? Here...

It was a low effort post because Stadia is a low effort platform that will immediately be abandoned even more than it already has. Game looks fine but it being a Stadia exclusive completely limits its marketability and any opportunity it has to initially succeed.

It wouldn't fly in those other threads because those companies, while still being about their bottom line, actually provide a product that functions and won't be left on the side of the road leaving their customers with lighter wallets for something that provides little to no value.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
The Ouya was a tough sell, but Stadia doesn't require any hardware. You don't even have to download the game. The barrier for entry couldn't be any lower. If Stadia had more mindshare I could see devs approaching them, rather than the other way around.
The barrier of entry is putting money into a service knowing that it might not exist in 12 months.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Eh, hardware is one kind of barrier to entry. Stadia has more or less demonstrated at this point that "you pay us full price for access to a game you can only stream over the network, from Google, a company not known for long-term support of its non-mega-successes" is just its own kind of very tough sell.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019

It was a low effort post because Stadia is a low effort platform that will immediately be abandoned even more than it already has. Game looks fine but it being a Stadia exclusive completely limits its marketability and any opportunity it has to initially succeed.

It wouldn't fly in those other threads because those companies, while still being about their bottom line, actually provide a product that functions and won't be left on the side of the road leaving their customers with lighter wallets for something that provides little to no value.
A low effort post is a low effort post. This is about mantaining productive discussion which low effort, drive-bys do not promote (especially when there are several of them telling the same joke on the same thread). I'm not against criticism so feel free to criticize but the one-two word posts do not add anything constructive.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
The barrier of entry is putting money into a service knowing that it might not exist in 12 months.
That's not really a barrier to entry. It's a risk that might make some people discount the value of the games or the subscription. But if it's a short term engagement like a demo or a free trial then it's not really relevant. Those are the types of experiences I think AAA developers would be seeking to capitalize on with cloud technology in the near term.

And I also think permanent ownership is also less of a concern for games that are bundled into subscription services, otherwise Apple Arcade wouldn't have gotten off the ground. There's no one size fits all business model for selling games because different audiences have different priorities.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Which will happen first: expiration of exclusivity period (it's probably one year) or Stadia getting fully cancelled? I'm betting on the latter.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
A low effort post is a low effort post. This is about mantaining productive discussion which low effort, drive-bys do not promote (especially when there are several of them telling the same joke on the same thread). I'm not against criticism so feel free to criticize but the one-two word posts do not add anything constructive.

Yeah, I can imagine posting "lol but can't shift anything in Japan still!" in every Ps5/XBS announcement thread would be looked upon quite dimly, so the same should stand here. This isn't a thread to grandstand about how annoyed you are that a platform exists and how it chooses to exist.

It's step away from the keyboard time at that point.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Man, what a trip. I used to adore PJ games back on PS3 but then their ideas started to get stale, and they started making stuff I wasn't into. Now they come up with one that looks awesome but it's not on my platform.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
This actually looks really cool! I have a lot of respect and appreciation for Q-Games and the PixelJunk brand.

I slept on The Tomorrow Children even though that game looked amazing and then I ended up missing out on it. I don't want to repeat that mistake for this game.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
When Stadia was first announced, Q-Games was on board to discuss the state sharing functionality of Stadia (i.e. linking to specific parts/states of a game as a social feature). I wonder if they're doing anything clever with that.

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA

To better quote someone:
Bro, just leave. Why try to stir things up?

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
To better quote someone:
Meanwhile I made a constructive argument as to why I said "lol stadia".

The other poster came into an Xbox thread posting State of Plays tweets purposely trying to incite arguments. There's a difference and if you're going to ignore that difference there's nothing more to discuss.

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
Meanwhile I made a constructive argument as to why I said "lol stadia".

The other poster came into an Xbox thread posting State of Plays tweets purposely trying to incite arguments. There's a difference and if you're going to ignore that difference there's nothing more to discuss.
So, you made a "constructive" argument, by coming into a platform exclusive game thread and shit posting on a platform where said game is going to be, yet you don't see the irony of you getting upset by someone going to a platform exclusive thread and shit posting on that platform?

I wish I could go through life so blissfully unaware

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
So, you made a "constructive" argument, by coming into a platform exclusive game thread and shit posting on a platform where said game is going to be, yet you don't see the irony of you getting upset by someone going to a platform exclusive thread and shit posting on that platform?

I wish I could go through life so blissfully unaware

Again, the platform itself is literally being abandoned by a company that has a history of acting like that. It is literally a nonsense for someone to try and pretend that a Stadia exclusive game will be anything but trapped on a dying platform. Stadia is literally a joke to many in this industry and on this board. The fact that so few will actually have access to the game is a shame.

If Google actually tried and didn't send emails to employees saying they were doing a great job only to shutter the studio the very next week, I wouldn't have "lol"ed. By all accounts Google deserves every lol they get because in the gaming world, they are comical.

Jan 16, 2018
Hope's Peak Academy
It's allowed for anything that is universally despised for some reason. Sanctioned dunking.

Try doing this in certain other threads and you'll be against the grain and be moderated in a second.
Don't worry we got some warnings against like, the first three people. It's a big hard to really discuss a game where the major aspect is that most people won't be able to play it. I hope the google money was worth the lack of sales.

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
Again, the platform itself is literally being abandoned by a company that has a history of acting like that. It is literally a nonsense for someone to try and pretend that a Stadia exclusive game will be anything but trapped on a dying platform. Stadia is literally a joke to many in this industry and on this board. The fact that so few will actually have access to the game is a shame.

If Google actually tried and didn't send emails to employees saying they were doing a great job only to shutter the studio the very next week, I wouldn't have "lol"ed. By all accounts Google deserves every lol they get because in the gaming world, they are comical.
Dude. I dont care. stop @ing me. if you cant see that you got called out for being a hypocrite, and got warned for driveby shitposting and still think you're right thats fine.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
As a huge fan of Q Games, and the PixelJunk series, it's sad to have to sit on the sidelines. I will never support the Stadia.

Minions

Oct 25, 2017
I love PixelJunks releases. I hope the game does well. Have vivid memories of PixelJunk Monsters.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
First time being able to fully digest the trailer and I'm really liking what I'm seeing. The graphics, music, and gameplay all seem very interesting. Also want to hear how they're implementing State Share. Apparently there's a blog post coming up that'll dive deeper into how it plays.
PixelJunk-Raiders-scaled.jpg

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Bless Q-Games but it's a miracle they're still in business with how they always get in such awkward contracts.

Incredibly pedantic but I don't know why they stick with pixeljunk as a brand when the games in it are so dissimilar and the name is reminiscent of shovelware.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have to imagine that when they signed the contract they where not aware of where Stadia would be.

That said I hope that it does well and continues the quality of Pixel Junk Monsters, and if it does Stadia players are in for a treats.

Legit jealous.

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like a great game. It's a shame it's on Stadia. The indie dev took their money to most likely help with development costs.
I would support Stadia if they supported themselves.(not axing their first party studios)

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Man, what a trip. I used to adore PJ games back on PS3 but then their ideas started to get stale, and they started making stuff I wasn't into. Now they come up with one that looks awesome but it's not on my platform.
I remember that first PJ game on PS3 that was the first game to export your gameplay video directly to youtube. That was the first video on my youtube channel lol.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I remember that first PJ game on PS3 that was the first game to export your gameplay video directly to youtube. That was the first video on my youtube channel lol.

SAME! I was blown away by the fact that was even possible. That and games that supported custom soundtracks without the OS just playing music on top of the games.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
I'm sure it will come to other things in future - this is modern revenue generation for developers.

Multiplatform developers can now go:

Stadia or Epic
Then PlayStation Exclusive
Then Game pass

Take a chunk of cash for each one , whilst you work on the game for the next platform
Haha , i didn't buy pathless because i m sure at 100 , this is the road the game is taking