• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kae

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
OP
OP

Deleted member 3465

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
Okay I'm now kicking off the monthly theme. Hopefully others will join :)! Rules in the OP. And if anyone has any ideas for next month's theme feel free to send me a PM. I decided to start with Kirby because it's a lot simpler for people who want to get started with pixel art for the first time! :) I'll try my hardest to make an entry every day at least.

Day 1!

lqjj5rf.png

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Okay I'm now kicking off the monthly theme. Hopefully others will join :)! Rules in the OP. And if anyone has any ideas for next month's theme feel free to send me a PM. I decided to start with Kirby because it's a lot simpler for people who want to get started with pixel art for the first time! :) I'll try my hardest to make an entry every day at least.

Day 1!

lqjj5rf.png

Well, I tried. Programmer art and all that. :P
FFmZFEq.gif

Last edited:

Ysarus

Oct 27, 2017

Day 1!

lqjj5rf.png
I did a thing :) i'll try some animation next.
fgY1xcH.jpg

OP
OP

Deleted member 3465

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
Here's something quick I attempted today!

4uhnW9H.png

Well, I tried. Programmer art and all that. :P
FFmZFEq.gif

:O Don't sell yourself short! This is really good and I love the animation :). Thanks for sharing!

I did a thing :) i'll try some animation next.
fgY1xcH.jpg

Wow this is super cute! I especially love the colors and shading! :) Thanks for sharing!!

Been working on my own game

:) Great stuff! Really adore the style of your game a lot :O. Love the name of the game too! Good luck with the development

Awesome, thanks for sharing!! Looks great and I love how detailed this is ! :O

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I guess this thread will do.

Just found this.

This looks absolutely amazing.

Great stuff Mental Atrophy! I particularly love that NES platformer mockup :D

And I'm always impressed when someone decides to draw an entire cast - especially one as big as the Smash Bros roster - awesome work, Neoriceisgood!

Here are a few fanart pieces I've done over the course of this year and last year. Been too swamped with game dev work to do much personal work lately.

Looking forward to seeing more people share their work!

ff9_dribbble.png

Thats beautiful... I wish this was real!

Holy shit. Now I want a Zelda A Link to the Past-esque spin-off of Hollow Knight... Damn you!

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Hi friends

Anyone have any good resources for doing tilesets from a top down/iso perspective? I've been doing char animation for a while and I am an absolute beginner for environmental pixel art

OP
OP

Deleted member 3465

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
bk0QYuD.gif

Today's submission. :) Tried to combine kirby with pixel dailies' vaporwave theme. ><

Hahah, thanks a lot. Watch me drop out of the daily challenge once it involves drawing actual people instead of a character made of geometric forms. :D

Haha I know what you mean. I'm worried about drawing full people too! But I'm going to aim to keep the first few months super simple for everyone's sake! No idea what next month will be though yet, any ideas? :O I also need to rewrite the rules so they're easier to understand. You can submit throughout the month just once or as many times as you want!

KeRaSh Thanks for the kind words!

Here's my Kirby piece :D

kirby_star_ride_3x_dribbble.gif

Wow all your work is consistently super stunning! I'm in love! Thank you for sharing! :)

Hi friends

Anyone have any good resources for doing tilesets from a top down/iso perspective? I've been doing char animation for a while and I am an absolute beginner for environmental pixel art

Hopefully someone else can answer! I surprisingly don't think I've ever seen a specific tutorial just for this perspective, but I'll definitely search and get back to you! :)

Last edited:

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Hi friends

Tilesets is unfortunately a very diverse discipline. I'm not sure if you're going to find many useful tutorials, and the ones you do find will very likely push you towards certain personal styles. If you're still looking for links, AndroidArts has some basics and decent examples of common pitfalls and how diverse the ways the same assignment can be done. I personally learned the most by taking commercial tilesets, and trying to reverse engineer them. Remove their shading to get a feel of the shapes, and try to recreate it back. Just keep in mind that during the late SNES and PS1 era, a lot of tilesets were often not sprited, and just colour-reduced images. Don't really bother learning from anything that looks too muddy. It's also worth keeping in mind too that commercial pixel-art sometimes is compromised for under-the-hood reasons that aren't really relevant to you, so if you see something that you think could have been done better, it's pretty likely.

The benefit of topdown work is that you can be pretty loose with your angles because the low-spec nature. 2D Zelda games for instance tend to be atrociously inconsistent with its angles, and only pedantic goons like me care.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3465

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
Beautiful stuff Panzermoon !
Thanks a lot! :)

Today I attempted Bandana Dee ! (Sep 06)
sT8Qscp.png

Today I did Pitch & Coo and tried to incorporate it with pixel dailies! (Sep 07)
rGA5tMA.png

Today I did random 16bit sprites! (Sep 08)
S8qkgww.png

Ice Dragon! (Sep 09)
uwkEW7n.png

Adeleine! (Sep 10)
xbD9VNr.png

Mr. Shine! (Sep 11)
Q4YLwci.png

Mr. Bright! (Sep 12)
vbJjuRW.png

Kirby Kart! (Sep 13)
ozHvLRS.png

Kirby Faces! (Sep 14)
9oBx4LJ.png

Random scene! (Sep 15)
wKcl4MO.png

Random scene #2! (Sep 16)
SdYXLXa.png

Last two days! (Sep 29/30):
9VwhRSB.png

bpcd5bg.png

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 3465

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
The Theme for the October month is the Mother Series / Earthbound! November will be Pokemon!

The grand prize will be the same for this month as the last month and the winner again will be selected at random; not by skill! The more submissions the higher the chance you have of winning a prize. I'd like to do a fan favourite choice as well in the future, but for now I just want people to have fun and enjoy the process of creation. I feel this way is especially good so that new artists aren't intimidated by entering either! :)

The grand winner for this month was Rephil.
Runner-ups were Ysarus & Weltall Zero.

Congrats to everyone!

My earthbound entry for Day 1!
xFleVwx.png

Day 2!
oU1YC0s.png

Last edited:

Rephil

Nov 16, 2017
Cool theme! I'll try to find time to do at least one piece :D

And wow, I didn't even know there was a raffle, haha. Thank you!

Panzermoon Really like how you've been experimenting with each new piece. Keep it up!

OP
OP

Deleted member 3465

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
Cool theme! I'll try to find time to do at least one piece :D

And wow, I didn't even know there was a raffle, haha. Thank you!

Panzermoon Really like how you've been experimenting with each new piece. Keep it up!

No worries! I look forward to the next one if you decide to do it, but thank you for participating! :) I sent you a private message with the details!

Also thank you!! Means a lot! I'm not sure how else to improve quickly, but the daily experimentation and trial and error is definitely fun. :O I'm slowly figuring out what works and what doesn't!

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I just wanted to publicly thank Panzermoon for actually going out of his way and give me a "consolation" price that frankly feels like I hit the jackpot, he freaking bought a game of my choice. As a bonus the game in question is Heat Signature and I'm addicted to it, hahah.

You are simply the best, man! *hugs*

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
By the skin of my teeth, I cooked something quick for October's theme: Earthbound characters as Final Fantasy characters (well, if I was talented enough to make recognizable 16 pixel tall characters rather than cop out and make them at 32px):

lGx4nis.png

This is not an "official" entry for the giveaway by the way, just a contribution. :)

OP
OP

Deleted member 3465

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
By the skin of my teeth, I cooked something quick for October's theme: Earthbound characters as Final Fantasy characters (well, if I was talented enough to make recognizable 16 pixel tall characters rather than cop out and make them at 32px):

lGx4nis.png

This is not an "official" entry for the giveaway by the way, just a contribution. :)

Thank you for submitting and your kind words! Great entry!! I love the decision to do a sideview and it really fits in the same style, really nice job!! :) As the only entry - by default you still win regardless of what you think :P!

For the competition the new theme for November is Pokemon! December will be Smash Bros and January will be Kingdom Hearts. Believe I'll redo the rules soon so it's perhaps less intimidating. On the status of the thread there are always so much games with nice pixel art coming out, I can't keep up -_-. Will update the thread soon with new releases and will definitely be more active for the following months.

For my November entry I'm trying to work on ditto versions of a few kanto pokemon every day. It's still a work in progress, but hoping to get far enough to get the alolan forms done as well. :) Here's what I have so far:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Thank you for submitting and your kind words! Great entry!! I love the decision to do a sideview and it really fits in the same style, really nice job!! :) As the only entry - by default you still win regardless of what you think :P!

But... but... OK...

People, please compete this month so I'm not the sole recipient of Panzermoon's generosity.

For the competition the new theme for November is Pokemon! December will be Smash Bros and January will be Kingdom Hearts. Believe I'll redo the rules soon so it's perhaps less intimidating. On the status of the thread there are always so much games with nice pixel art coming out, I can't keep up -_-. Will update the thread soon with new releases and will definitely be more active for the following months.

For my November entry I'm trying to work on ditto versions of a few kanto pokemon every day. It's still a work in progress, but hoping to get far enough to get the alolan forms done as well. :) Here's what I have so far:

These look soo cool and cute at the same time, wow. I'm assuming some not having eyes is because of them being a work in progress, but it looks kind of cool on Venusaur, as if he has a leaf bangs / pompadour that covers his eyes.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 3465

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
A pokemon themed daily I did today!

Still working on doing all the original 150 pokemon! Up to Raichu now!

But... but... OK...

People, please compete this month so I'm not the sole recipient of Panzermoon's generosity.

These look soo cool and cute at the same time, wow. I'm assuming some not having eyes is because of them being a work in progress, but it looks kind of cool on Venusaur, as if he has a leaf bangs / pompadour that covers his eyes.

It would actually be really funny if you won again lol!! You should totally post more divinoids though regardless! It's such a great game! :D

And omg thanks :), yeah they have no eyes because it's a work in progress! Good catch on Venusaur, I intentionally planned to put eyes but I liked the way it looked with the bangs as well haha. Guess I will leave it like that in the final too since i'm not the only one :)!

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
A pokemon themed daily I did today!

That's adorable! I can't wrap my head around you making these in just a day, wow.

It would actually be really funny if you won again lol!! You should totally post more divinoids though regardless! It's such a great game! :D

If I win yet again, I'll make you buy a game for yourself instead. :P
Thanks for the praise, I'll try to post more Divinoids stuff for sure. Actually, I'm going to give a heads up to the game dev thread about this thread.

And omg thanks :), yeah they have no eyes because it's a work in progress! Good catch on Venusaur, I intentionally planned to put eyes but I liked the way it looked with the bangs as well haha. Guess I will leave it like that in the final too since i'm not the only one :)!

Hahah, good call. :)

OP
OP

Deleted member 3465

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
Did a couple of Pokemon themed pieces this month!

tiny-pikachu-dribbble.gif

trainer_dribble_1x.png

Wow these are beautiful :D. Thanks for submitting them to the thread ^^!! Also congrats on winning, I will PM you to ask you about the prize! :D

These are some more of mine for the month:

DsylAcvU0AE7576.png:large

DstBvgDWsAURWQm.png:large

December theme will be Smash Bros, so the contribution can pretty much be anything as long as the franchise appears in Smash! ^^

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Wow these are beautiful :D. Thanks for submitting them to the thread ^^!! Also congrats on winning, I will PM you to ask you about the prize! :D

These are some more of mine for the month:

DsylAcvU0AE7576.png:large

DstBvgDWsAURWQm.png:large

December theme will be Smash Bros, so the contribution can pretty much be anything as long as the franchise appears in Smash! ^^

These are awesome. I keep forgetting to post my stuff, hahah.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know why that bleached out, low contrast usage of color palettes seems to be so popular in more modern pixel art?

OP
OP

Deleted member 3465

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
So I was asked for reference art for my game's characters, and since I don't have any (I simply can't draw), the closest I have is their sprites. So I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone and post them here, too.

Isis / Phoenix:

zTmUmdR.png

AtdMeyt.png

2rWaLwu.gif

Medusa / Jormungandr:

RZD0mWc.png

z3LTuiv.png

BCuyrlN.gif

Ogmios / Manticore:

98F05Om.png

gxcgaBA.png

DFGeCdM.gif

OP
OP

Deleted member 3465

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
Weltall Zero Thank you for sharing the sprites for your main characters! They look great!!! :D I love the feel of your sprites!! I hope that suffices as reference art! I think many people who also work in this medium make it from the ground-up in this way too. I know I do!

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Those sprites are more than detailed enough to serve as a reference. You say you can't draw, but they've got good, strong shapes. Especially the manticore avoids the typical pitfalls. Many would make the silhouette boxy and straight, because the torso is the least eyecatching part of cat-like creatures.

Rephil

Nov 16, 2017
Panzermoon Nice job on those Pokemon sprites! Really like the colors - especially the warmer palettes!

Finished this today just in time for Smash Bros!

smashbros-dribbble.png

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Era 2.0 messing royally with notifications, it seems. I'm getting like one in four.

Weltall Zero Thank you for sharing the sprites for your main characters! They look great!!! :D I love the feel of your sprites!! I hope that suffices as reference art! I think many people who also work in this medium make it from the ground-up in this way too. I know I do!

Thank you! Pehesse confirmed these were enough, he's going to add Isis to the Indie Dev thread banner he's making. :)

Those sprites are more than detailed enough to serve as a reference. You say you can't draw, but they've got good, strong shapes. Especially the manticore avoids the typical pitfalls. Many would make the silhouette boxy and straight, because the torso is the least eyecatching part of cat-like creatures.

Hahah, to be frank I used a ton of reference for that one, and I tweaked it a lot too.

Panzermoon Nice job on those Pokemon sprites! Really like the colors - especially the warmer palettes!

smashbros-dribbble.png

This is great, love the isometric view! Damn, now I want a pixel art Nintendo crossover SRPG...

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa

smashbros-dribbble.png
Dq8KuppXQAEIFZZ.png:large

I never did post the finished product here! It's so cool to have a proper PIXELART OT. I should post work here more often lol.

Love it, your style is super slick!

Awesome stuff! I'd love to contribute, but... I have no pixel art skills :(

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Awesome stuff! I'd love to contribute, but... I have no pixel art skills :(

That's, uh... kind of ironic, isn't it? :D

I didn't have pixel art; or, well, any-art skills until I started making my game. And uh, I kind of still don't (calling it "skill" would be a bit generous), but at least it's functional, and I think I'm getting better.

Last edited:

optimiss

May 17, 2018
I can't believe it took me this long to find this thread! Amazed how talented everyone is.

This is a drawing of a post-apocalyptic Mario I did a while back. The Mushroom Wars did him no favors.

QIVsCNd.png

mikehaggar

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa

That's, uh... kind of ironic, isn't it? :D

I didn't have pixel art; or, well, any-art skills until I started making my game. And uh, I kind of still don't (calling it "skill" would be a bit generous), but at least it's functional, and I think I'm getting better.

I'm just the coder. Others do all the sexy stuff haha ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.