• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which phone is better to upgrade to from the iPhone 8?

• Pixel 4

Votes: 75 27.7%
  • OnePlus 7T

Votes: 196 72.3%

• Total voters

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I'm upgrading from an iPhone 8, I've been hyped for the Pixel 4 all year but overwhelmingly it seems like the phone is a disappointment. The OnePlus 7T grabs my eye, aside from everything else it has that the Pixel 4 doesn't, I love that it has 90hz always (even if you can force it to stay at 90, naturally it seems to switch from that to 60), and it's $200 cheaper (I have the entry, regular sized orange 64GB preordered).

However, I don't like having jumbo phones. Apparently the 7T has a 6 inch display, two inches bigger than the iPhone 8. There's that, and the fact that the camera is not top notch like the Pixel 4. And no astrophotography either which looks awesome. I have the Pixel 4 preordered at Best Buy, I wonder if I pick it up and return it if they'll still let me keep the $100 gift card.

What do you think?

edit: btw I only upgrade every 2 years, so whatever phone I go with, will stick with me until 2021. Also, I have Verizon. If I buy either of these phones unlocked, can I put it on Verizon for free and keep the same phone number?

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Pixel 4. Google's version of Android is the closest you'll get to iOS. Plus, the camera should be bonkers good.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The camera alone makes me choose the Pixel 4. If you don't care about great looking pictures on a phone then get the 1+ to save some $.

Oct 27, 2017
I would only get the Pixel if the camera was the most important aspect. The 7T trounces the Pixel in every other category.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
One Plus. Pixel isn't gonna be as smooth as the OP7T by a long shot.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't get the Pixel 4 simply because of its battery life. It's not very good out of the box, and if you force 90Hz, it becomes terrible.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Oneplus is a much better value. Pixel 4 camera is slightly better, perhaps, but not $200 better (to start, a slightly bigger screen and you're looking at $300 with the screen still being smaller). Plus you get 8GB RAM instead of 6 and Night Mode is available now with a battery thats 1000mAh bigger. And base 7T is 128GB vs 64 for the Pixel 4.

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
I have a OnePlus 7 Pro, and with a Gcam apk the camera is fantastic if that's an issue for you.

If you're on T-Mobile, the Android updates might be slow but it's an easy fix to flash international firmware to your phone and get stock Android 10 installed. I upgraded from an Essential PH-1 and OxygenOS is almost as clean.

EDIT: Nevermind about T-Mobile, just read you're on Verizon. Your updates should be PDQ.

JCX

Oct 25, 2017
Perfect thread timing - I cracked my pixel 2 XL last week and I am trying to pick between 4 XL, Note 10, or OnePlus

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
I still have a Oneplus One working as good as new that I let my daughter use, they're good devices. That said if you want the best Android experience you've really only got one choice and that's the P4. The same can be said about the camera.

I just received my P4 (non XL) about 2 hours ago. I'm curious to see how my experience with battery life compares to the wide range of reports from the press.

My brief impressions so far are - IT FAST.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
If camera is important then Pixel, OnePlus' color science is janky esp with night mode. Also I can't get over the fact that it (6T) randomly reset the list of apps that I told it to not be battery optimized, this is a known issue for a long time.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I would go OnePlus, I've had two of them before and never did me wrong. My biggest concern with the Pixel 4 is I have multiple apps (2 bank apps, credit card, PayPal, password manager and others) with fingerprint login that will be a pain to use without a fingerprint reader.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
I would go OnePlus, I've had two of them before and never did me wrong. My biggest concern with the Pixel 4 is I have multiple apps (2 bank apps, credit card, PayPal, password manager and others) with fingerprint login that will be a pain to use without a fingerprint reader.
So how would you use those apps instead? Just type in your password every time?

Oct 25, 2017
You can force the P4 to stay at 90hz. It'll obviously effect battery life.

Another thing to consider, the Black Friday deals on the P3 were really great, if you can wait another month.

Calmine

Jul 5, 2018
In the same mindset, I can't get the OnePlus 7T or Pro on my contract, so I'm thinking the Pixel 4 XL, but at the same time, I'm considering just buying the 7T outright ÂŁ550 from Amazon.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
In the same mindset, I can't get the OnePlus 7T or Pro on my contract, so I'm thinking the Pixel 4 XL, but at the same time, I'm considering just buying the 7T outright ÂŁ550 from Amazon.
I don't see the 7T available on Amazon so if I were to buy it I thought I'd have to go on their website

Merrill

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax
Stock android which runs super smooth, amazing camera, monthly updates, great build quality, 90hz Oled, at least 3 year support, etc.

Pixel easily.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
If I were to get a Pixel 4 it would have to be the XL for the battery. The smaller 4 is just not fit for the task with a teeny 2800mAh, the Pixel 3a has a 3000mAh battery with far less power hungry specs. Check out some of the battery drain tests on YouTube, no good having an amazing phone if it's dead before the end of the day.

Merrill

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax
If I were to get a Pixel 4 it would have to be the XL for the battery. The smaller 4 is just not fit for the task with a teeny 2800mAh, the Pixel 3a has a 3000mAh battery with far less power hungry specs. Check out some of the battery drain tests on YouTube, no good having an amazing phone if it's dead before the end of the day.

It will fully charge in less than an hour. My pixel 2 will charge more than half in like 20 mins.

Battery size isn't as big a deal anymore. Although yes a bigger battery would be great.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
Oneplus is a much better value. Pixel 4 camera is slightly better, perhaps, but not $200 better (to start, a slightly bigger screen and you're looking at $300 with the screen still being smaller). Plus you get 8GB RAM instead of 6 and Night Mode is available now with a battery thats 1000mAh bigger. And base 7T is 128GB vs 64 for the Pixel 4.
This.

I have a 6T and just updated to Android 10 and it is smooth as the first day I got it 1 year ago. And with the Gcam apk the camera is quite good.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
It will fully charge in less than an hour. My pixel 2 will charge more than half in like 20 mins.

Battery size isn't as big a deal anymore. Although yes a bigger battery would be great.
Battery size is always a big deal. Not everyone can just keep it plugged in all the time.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never cared, owned, or ever will own a iphone, But in your shoes, i recommend iphone 11. Has all the bell and whistles but a shitty but reasonable display. If 90hz is ALL you care bout, then get the 7T. If you want the best bang for your buck, iphone 11 or the Galaxy S10E seem to be the best budget big brand phones out there.

Pixel 4 is awful. Or if you are willing to wait a few months, if the new Galaxy S line might have 90hz, then that will easily be the best full package phone out there as they usually throw everything under the sun in the phone. But that will easily be 1k+ if money bugs you.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I would avoid the smaller Pixel just because of the weak battery. The Galaxy S10 regular edition (non+) is the perfect size for me and since it has been out for 7-8ish months, it might be dirt cheap when on sale during November. But the OnePlus 7T is a good alternative.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017

Between a phone that can't last a day and one that legitimately does, that's a huge difference and I say that as someone who carries around their cable. Since moving from a 3XL (mediocre battery life) to the 3a (decent) I've stopped taking my power bank out with me, I can be almost certain I'll be home before it runs out and if not I have the cable for an emergency.

Battery degredation is also a thing, so if it's not great to start then good luck. These mAhs should be seen as a buffer to the eventual time when your phone needs an out of warranty battery replacement.

Merrill

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax
My pixel 2 has a 2700mah battery and its still pretty good at going all day.

And if it goes low a quick charge and it's almost full.

Just saying. But go with 4xl if you want bigger battery and don't mind bigger phone.

I just ordered the Pixel 4 for myself. I'll never go with anything but stock android from now on.

EraldoCoil

Oct 28, 2017
Cali
If you can spare it, just go for the full on one plus 7 pro....switched from a note 9 a few months ago because I wasn't happy with what the not 10+ had.

The 7 pro is easily my favorite mobile device of all time, and the price is insanely good.

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
If you can spare it, just go for the full on one plus 7 pro....switched from a note 9 a few months ago because I wasn't happy with what the not 10+ had.

The 7 pro is easily my favorite mobile device of all time, and the price is insanely good.
does the 7 pro also have a 90 hertz display?

Aphexian

Oct 26, 2017
I have a OnePlus 7 Pro, and with a Gcam apk the camera is fantastic if that's an issue for you.

If you're on T-Mobile, the Android updates might be slow but it's an easy fix to flash international firmware to your phone and get stock Android 10 installed. I upgraded from an Essential PH-1 and OxygenOS is almost as clean.

EDIT: Nevermind about T-Mobile, just read you're on Verizon. Your updates should be PDQ.

Are we still on Gcam 6 for the 7 Pro? I haven't checked in a long time. I just got it when it first released

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
What about the Xiaomi Mi9t?

Of your choices, OnePlus. I have a 6 and it's amazing, hoping to keep it for three more years.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you just want the really great camera above all, get a Pixel 3a

Otherwise get the OnePlus 7T