• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was going to be a more grounded flick about coming of age in Italy. Then bam; sea monsters. xD It's not a damper on my expectations though. Will give it a watch.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Loved the look of it. And seeing it is done by the ones that did Coco, my expectations are high!

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The style looks nice but I hope this isn't every bit as predictable as I think it is going to be story wise.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Looks nice, better than I expected.

I wish Pixar would transition to more mature humanist stories without the need for the obligatory transformation gimmicks or high concept hooks.

For me, Soul would have been way more interesting without the bodyswapping guff, but I do understand Pixar's need to balance child-friendly concepts and visuals with mature stories.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
The dad at the end looks like the dad from Pixar's short film La Luna, right?

Edit:
Ah, same creator.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This looks so good! Also the gay coding speaks to me. I'm sure they aren't going to go there and the red headed girl is probably one of the boys' love interests because heteronormativity and all that...

But I would love to be proven wrong. I think there is a cute story there about three friends finding each other and breaking barriers between worlds.

Since Alberto and Luca have only recently become best friends, does this mean they don't know the other is a sea creature until their little scooter situation?

Clearly the external conflict of the film is that they don't want the people of the town knowing they are sea creatures, but I also feel like that is too simple. Pixar always flips the script on us when we least expect it. What is going to be the internal conflict?

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
This looks so good! Also the gay coding speaks to me. I'm sure they aren't going to go there and the red headed girl is probably one of the boys' love interests because heteronormativity and all that...

But I would love to be proven wrong. I think there is a cute story there about three friends finding each other and breaking barriers between worlds.

Since Alberto and Luca have only recently become best friends, does this mean they don't know the other is a sea creature until their little scooter situation?

Clearly the external conflict of the film is that they don't want the people of the town knowing they are sea creatures, but I also feel like that is too simple. Pixar always flips the script on us when we least expect it. What is going to be the internal conflict?
I think red haired girl gonna be a curve ball. she just there to throw us off the trail.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
The queerbait is strong in this trailer. Kids having to hide a part of themselves they were born with and can't control? Hmmm

I'm looking forward to it just to see how close to a kids version of Call Me By Your Name it gets.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
My thoughts every time I hear the name Luca
Ref86f06ac1289e0369ec433af8d0472a

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing to see Splatoon influencing western cinema so quickly.

Wow i just realized Splatoon is splat mixed with platoon.... fuck

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
It's the stereotypical little town in the middle of nowhere in Italy. Old men playing cards out loud, people having coffee grabbing it by the porcelain coaster, laundry hanging from balcony to balcony. It's a little too specific.
That's just the first things i noticed.
Its literally based on where the Italian director grew up

many places in Italy are borderline identical to this depiction too

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious about the Fellini comment as he's not exactly someone you'd associate with a Pixar film lol. That said I'm guessing its just some visual cues to his more notable works.

I thought it was going to be a more grounded flick about coming of age in Italy. Then bam; sea monsters. xD It's not a damper on my expectations though. Will give it a watch.

Its a Pixar film. They always do this kind of stuff. I'd love them to do a more straight forward serious affair but like the MCU, I doubt Disney wants to rock the boat too much.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Started watching the trailer. And thought, yeah usual Pixar will show us idyllic scenes of this town and the kids. But knowing how Pixar works in the full film one of the kids will spend most of it as a giant squid or something.

And then..... I got to that bit.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's the stereotypical little town in the middle of nowhere in Italy. Old men playing cards out loud, people having coffee grabbing it by the porcelain coaster, laundry hanging from balcony to balcony. It's a little too specific.
That's just the first things i noticed.

This is specifically where the director came from, though. This is his story. I understand you have had a different experience and lifestyle but he's just sharing a personal slice of his own life in Italy with a creative twist.

What needs to happen is more Italian-made media with a more diverse depiction of the lives of Italian people, but I don't think putting down this guy's literal background and experience is the way to advocate for it.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is specifically where the director came from, though. This is his story. I understand you have had a different experience and lifestyle but he's just sharing a personal slice of his own life in Italy with a creative twist.

What needs to happen is more Italian-made media with a more diverse depiction of the lives of Italian people, but I don't think putting down this guy's literal background and experience is the way to advocate for it.

Time for Disney's Gamorra

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
Hyped to see them hide their extremely queer subtext by pairing up one of the lads with the redheaded girl.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017

Well put.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Going to insist that any movie that doesn't take place in Cleveland, Ohio is now stereotypical of America because it's not where I grew up.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My bet is that the girl turns into a shark, more along the lines of a werewolf where she doesn't have control or memory of her actions, and she ends up killing the friend and Luca has to reconcile all that drama

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I had been out of Pixar stuff for a while, but both coco and soul are very good and suggests they are having a resurgence.