• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Baliis

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't even know it existed until I happened to see an ad for it while watching TV for the first time in years.

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
Pixar/Disney are going to make millions off of Mexican culture, while people go into hiding because their DACA status is being revoked.

It's a shitty shitty feeling, and I know it isn't fair. But I don't know if I can enjoy it. Hype is low.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I have not seen a single poster, trailer-before-another-movie or ad for the movie. I actually plan to see it, since I love most pixar movies. Tho, it "only" comes out next week over here.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I am curious about how well this film will play outside America and Mexico. It'll probably do okay, but it does feel like a film tailored to America and Mexico. What will China make of it? Should be interesting.

I've seen absolutely no advertising for it here in Korea.

I didn't realize it was coming out so soon to be honest, even on the internet I've just seen the initial trailer and... nothing else. Not sure what's up with Pixar/Disney but they don't see to be pushing this movie as much as they have previous ones. Feel like it's another "The Good Dinosaur" for them.

Edit: Actually, doesn't even look like it has a release date here yet.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
I've seen a couple ads on streaming services and 1 billboard on the side of the highway. Nothing else My kids are going to see it tomorrow though.

Oct 27, 2017
My dad really wants me to see this because he's Mexican but Idk it doesn't look all to interesting. Plus the skeletons having eyeballs looks so fucking stupid. Maybe though. Was the music good at least?

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Well, I have MoviePass so maybe I'll see if I can land a seat for Friday!

Probably pretty unlikely though.

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
I got to listen to some of the soundtrack live conducted by Michael Giacchino a few weeks ago. Really sounds amazing.

Gonna try and see it when I can.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Pixar/Disney are going to make millions off of Mexican culture, while people go into hiding because their DACA status is being revoked.

It's a shitty shitty feeling, and I know it isn't fair. But I don't know if I can enjoy it. Hype is low.

If Pixar were in it for the money they'd've gone for something more marketable. A movie based on Chinese mythology with a cute mascot they can crank out plushies of would get them an order of magnitude more cash. This film is fantastic, and clearly driven by a love of and respect for the source material, not some marketing focus group.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
The movie looks imaginative and great. It has gotten zero advertising near me, which is crazy because we have a huge population of latinos here, especially Mexicans (a demographic I assume would be very interested in it).

incogneato

Self Requested Ban
Nov 8, 2017

I'm confused at this when the film released in Mexico before anywhere else

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Saw it tonight, absolutely loved it. I like most Pixar movies, but the story, music, and imagery put it into the upper tier of Pixar films. Not afraid to say I may have shed a few tears towards the end.

Definitely going to see it again.

OtterMatic

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched it, and I love this movie. The art style is perfect.
Even though the first half is slow, the last half hour is great.

And actually I like the title after watching it because
Coco is his great-grandmother's name

I would love to talk more about it if there is OT for unmarked spoiler, but I will just leave it like that right now.

Oh, btw, if you don't like Olaf from Frozen, you should go in late. The Olaf's adventure "short" is like 20 mins long. I think it is sweet but that short is nothing compared to Coco.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Saw it tonight. Theater was packed with families. Seems to really be drawing big crowds with Latino families.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
I had yet to see a single piece of advertising for it outside this thread and a single poster at the theater that didn't even have the name of the movie on it... so non-existent would be where the hype's at for me, I guess. Looks fun, but I'd have loved to have actually heard of the movie before the thread popped up.

Oct 27, 2017
Just got back and holy cow the colors! This movie was beautiful to watch! I recommend giving this movie a watch. Also I may be a little mushy but I also enjoyed the short before the film as well. Great work Pixar!

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Watched it earlier tonight.

It's one of the most gorgeous animated films I've ever seen, maybe THE best looking one. The intricate details and colors are incredible to behold. They also managed to make the characters look downright tangible at times. The skin on Coco looks so real.

As far as the story, it worked for me mostly. Got pretty emotional and even shed a tear at one point.

The more I think about it the more I realize it's one of the best Pixar films to date. My fav is still Ratatouille but this is way up there.

tropoFarmer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Little hype since I haven't been into recent Pixar went to zero hype because of John Lasseter's sexual misconduct allegations.

And by watching this movie you're basically engaging in sexual misconduct yourself. Good on you for having the non-ability to separate allegations from reality. Like you, I hope that John Lasseter burns in the steamy hell in which he was hatched.

CosmicWabbit

Oct 28, 2017
I'm mexican and I have to say that Pixar did a very good job with this movie, I already watched it two times and I can't stop listening the soundtrack.

Oct 25, 2017
Movie been out for a month here in Mexico, and people just can't shut the hell up about it.

Totally feel like the only person who havent watched it and that makes me feel cool, please go watch the film so i can feel cooler.

passepied joe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is like the third animated movie to be released in the last five years that's based off dia de los muertos. Hard to be excited.

OP
OP
Realeza

Realeza

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Movie is a fucking classic.

There is no universe where this movie is not Top 5 Pixar at the very least.

Sly Chimera

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Lol I love how the Day of the Dead can't have two movies about it. Forget it's a wonderful life I've already seen Christmas carol. Thank god Die Hard wasn't set on that day.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I saw a trailer for the movie a year or two ago, and then completely forgot that it even existed. It wasn't until I saw a movie today and saw that it said it was releasing tomorrow that it hit me. I'll watch it this weekend.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn Resetera, the movie looks fuego and it comes out tonight, yet there's not a thread anywhere in the first three pages!

coco.jpg

Don't be a cabron de mierda and watch the movie! Current RT score is 95.
it came out? well shit maybe my mom will go watch it and the house will be all to myself sigh that's gonna be good.

airjoca

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
I can't see any way this movie won't do good worldwide. By now people watch Pixar movies because they're Pixar movies. Wether the characters are Toys, Samoans, Mexicans or whatever, people will go see it.

spider

CLANG
On Break
Oct 23, 2017
Australia
And by watching this movie you're basically engaging in sexual misconduct yourself. Good on you for having the non-ability to separate allegations from reality. Like you, I hope that John Lasseter burns in the steamy hell in which he was hatched.

I dont think Messofanego was implying that anyone who watches the movie "are basically engaging in sexual misconduct themselves". If the topic's too affecting for you, feel free to step away for a bit.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
People won't shut up about Book of Life. What's the third one?
Well the beginning of Spectre was set during Día de Muertos and that movie was pretty comical.

Alternate take, this is a positive representation of Mexican culture in mainstream media and could possibly soften a few people's views on Mexican immigrants.

Dai101

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm watching a lot of quick reviews in YT (i'm bed ridden, fuck resfriados....) and so far i'm glad to see people appreciate this movie, specially those that outright say that they aren't Mexican or have any conection to it but liked the movie and themes regarless. Is just so ... i don't know how to put it.... i'm just overwelmed.

Maybe is the flu drugs i'm taking tho'

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Saw it today. Damn good movie. It's a family movie about family, but it's also largely about music, so you know the soundtrack has to be good, and it absolutely is. Great characters, great acting, fan-fucking-tastic visuals, and, as usual for Pixar, hits you right in the feels.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I've been off the Pixar bandwagon for over a decade.
Toy Story 3 + The Incredibles were the last great Pixar movies for me.

I abandoned ship with their business model attitude change

that magic has be downed.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I really loved the movie - the characters, story, art style, music, it was all great. Definitely one of Pixar's better films.

But replacing the standard Pixar short before the movie with a 20 minute Frozen/Olaf comedy musical...I hated that *sooooo* much. Unlike standard Pixar fare, it was targeted clearly directly at kids, with just a couple hidden adult jokes to try and keep us interested. And it just wouldn't end!

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What in the hell is this.

1. I'm sorry that you think that I and basically everyone else on ERA are sexual offenders. But knowing this, are you now a sexual offender by supporting a forum which is evidently a safe haven for sexual delinquents?

2. Lasseter barely had any involvement with this movie.

3. From what I've heard Lasseter sounds like a creepy handsy dude who needs HR discipline. Not demon spawn who needs to be banished to another dimension.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
This must be getting some seriously targeted advertising, because I live in Southern California and the only exposure I've had to this movie has been that teaser trailer that played in front of Beauty and the Beast (?) and a cardboard cutout of the kid that I saw in the theater when I went to see Thor last week.

It makes me feel like the movie isn't "for me" if that makes sense. I don't think that non-Hispanics would be averse at all to seeing this film, so I don't know why they aren't advertising it like their other movies.