• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Good.

Now get more actors currently doing work on Disney to do it as well. Have any of the MCU folks said anything? Star Wars? Feige? Favreau?

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Chapek has been such a trash fire since taking over Disney. It's just been one self-inflicted PR disaster after another with him.

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
Chapek? This is how Disney has operated since the inception. This is like blaming Trump for the GOP.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Chapek? This is how Disney has operated since the inception. This is like blaming Trump for the GOP.

This is absolutely true but it also just feels worse under Chapek, y'know? Part of it is clearly confirmation bias because people have (rightfully) hated him before he was even announced for the job but even then he just comes off as this absolute donut flailing his greedier-than-Scrooge-McDuck ass about, and it just adds this layer of embarassing douchey-ness to it all.

Like, timeline-wise the accused behavior had to happen under Iger but Iger never had such a rock-stupid take as "Don't worry, we'll still donate to an anti-gay bill but we'll make up for it in inspiring content.' That level of sheer brainlessness is very quickly becoming Chapek's signature.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Good on Pixar and, honestly, it'd be nice to see other Disney studios/groups rally behind this message. I know Disney is a corporation and, ultimately, only cares about money. However, they had the gall to publish that message about "telling inspiring stories" being the best work they can do and that was even a lie or, at best, a misleading statement. They should absolutely be raked over the coals for this.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is absolutely true but it also just feels worse under Chapek, y'know? Part of it is clearly confirmation bias because people have (rightfully) hated him before he was even announced for the job but even then he just comes off as this absolute donut flailing his greedier-than-Scrooge-McDuck ass about, and it just adds this layer of embarassing douchey-ness to it all.

Like, timeline-wise the accused behavior had to happen under Iger but Iger never had such a rock-stupid take as "Don't worry, we'll still donate to an anti-gay bill but we'll make up for it in inspiring content.' That level of sheer brainlessness is very quickly becoming Chapek's signature.

I know that "inspiring content" comment is what pissed me the hell off.

Oct 27, 2017
A competent CEO in 2022 would pretend to stop funding the FL GOP, publicly decry the law and then wait until the story dies down to go right back to funding them. Chapek isn't a competent CEO.
A competent CEO would do the very thing they got criticized for again?? These are public records. People would complain about it again

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
On top of which executives don't make content, is what so cheap and infuriating in Chapek's statement. So sit idle and steady as we go, was the msg. But also, the idea things were better before Chapek? No, don't be so naive. If Bob Iger spun it better, it still wouldn't matter, the point is they are supporting this bill

This is corporate MO, while in the last decade they've capitalized off the lgbtq+ market. It's really a shame Pixar was pulled along with this ship in 2006, would have liked to seen them keep cultural independence and be their own thing working out deals with a distributor. They certainly had the sway circa 2006 to

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
A competent CEO would do the very thing they got criticized for again?? These are public records. People would complain about it again
Uh, yes? What do you think happens in this country? No one has the attention span to keep up with these controversies once the dust settles. Anyone check to see recently which companies are still advertising on Fox News or contributing to GOP members who supported the insurrection? Shit. Joe Rogan seems to have been forgotten already and that was like a month ago, how's Spotify doing?

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
On top of which executives don't make content, is what so cheap and infuriating in Chapek's statement. So sit idle and steady as we go, was the msg. But also, the idea things were better before Chapek? No, don't be so naive. If Bob Iger spun it better, it still wouldn't matter, the point is they are supporting this bill

This is corporate MO, while in the last decade they've capitalized off the lgbtq+ market. It's really a shame Pixar was pulled along with this ship in 2006, would have liked to seen them keep cultural independence and be their own thing working out deals with a distributor. They certainly had the sway circa 2006 to

Iger was certainly no saint, but Disney did take a stand against the Georgia bathroom bill under his watch. Under Chapek things are backsliding.

Starshine

Oct 25, 2017
No response from Chapek yet?

Will Pixar have to stryke to get results?

Some leverage seems needed.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Iger was certainly no saint, but Disney did take a stand against the Georgia bathroom bill under his watch. Under Chapek things are backsliding.
Georgia's a state they can move out of. They could probably even play it right and get a bunch of states/countries to fight each other for them, and get an even better tax deal. They can't pack up and leave Florida.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
Honestly at this point Chapek is probably just head in sand hoping this blows over, since he already got caught lying about "working with governors office."

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I really think Chapek is just here to weather the storm while Disney pushes all these changes all over the place, he'll step down in a few years with some big bonus, and another person can step in and "fix" a few things and big points will come from the fans and journalists. I could be wrong but the amount of negativity they've had recently with their changes just feels like this.

Also, in regards to the article, I really feel like Pixar is ready to go solo. I realize that's next to, if not impossible, but between all their movies being pushed to Streaming I bet some people inside wish for changes. Best of luck. That letter was so well written. It's beautiful.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
Disney will probably concede to this pressure and do the right thing, BUT I feel like there will be some retaliatory action by making Pixar a Disney+ exclusive film maker for a few more years.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Disney will probably concede to this pressure and do the right thing, BUT I feel like there will be some retaliatory action by making Pixar a Disney+ exclusive film maker for a few more years.

Lightyear is absolutely coming to theaters. It's a Toy Story spin-off. I don't know what they're working on beyond that.

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
They won't. They'll make a token gesture and continue to fund Republican scumbags like they have done since their inception.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The full statement

FNl8hpLVQAAH0WY

buttzilla

Sep 9, 2020
That's a good response and what they should've done in the first place. Hopefully their money speaks and this bill gets killed. Disney literally runs Florida

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what it would take for Disney to not be paying off the vast majority of Floridian politicians.

Would love for them to take a stand but they'd rather hold a dollar on a hook for any leniency on legislation that affects their business.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
"You needed me to be a stronger ally in the fight for equal rights and I let you down," Chapek said to Disney staffers Friday in the second reset in as many days. "I am sorry."

"Stronger ally" implies he was already an ally in some capacity to begin with. Lmao no