• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/koji-kondo-the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time/

Ever since those four notes guided enemies down the screen in 1978's Space Invaders, video game music has remained one of the most commonly heard sounds across the world. Yet there is a disconnect between its outsize popularity and its critical recognition. Game soundtracks rarely pad out year-end lists or are regularly reviewed in music magazines, let alone considered as credible listening options outright. The soundtrack for Ocarina of Time, the fifth edition of The Legend of Zelda—a flagship series for Nintendo that inspires such slavish devotion, both Robin Williams' daughter and Seth Rogen's spaniel share its name—was so full of creativity and color and wonder that it presented the most convincing possible case to argue game music belongs in the canon.

Overall score is a 9/10. Great retrospective highlighting Koji Kondo's experience composing the music for the game, and its place in gaming history.

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting reading about the technical limitations that the composers run up against. I hadn't ever thought about the music competing for resources with other aspects of the game. As someone who knows little about this aspect of game development, an eye-opening read.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Was pretty surprised to see this pop up on my nightly check with them.

There are some really nice turns of phrase in there alongside a pretty good overall analysis.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Interesting insights about the 3DS soundtrack, I didn't know this stuff:

A remake of Ocarina of Time in 2011 roused Kondo, like a great gatekeeper awoken by a sense of duty. He preached the necessity of continuity, giving employees strict instructions to stick as closely as possible to the original, watching out for fractional differences in tempo and timing that would ruin the malleability of the score. Tampering with the leitmotifs twinned with environments and characters was a cardinal sin: nothing could be worse than jeopardizing fond memories. Even basic SFX had to be recreated to transmit the feel of the N64 era on the handheld 3DS, despite the newer hardware being wired completely differently. Heads were scratched over a revamped "Title Theme" that Kondo kept rejecting, before his young team clocked that the N64's characteristic reverb, used to mask the harsh compression, had been scrubbed. The opening ocarina no longer drifted into view from a far-off forest, but was front-loaded and far too clean in the mix. Once derided, the N64's drawbacks were now cherished, imperfections to stimulate a flutter of butterflies in the gut.

No citation, so I have no idea where he got that from. Anyone?

But, yeah, really nice combination of history and technical analysis. Thanks for linking this. (Full disclosure: Pitchfork is a corporate sibling of my outlet, but we don't collaborate on anything.)

Joeshabadoo

Jan 3, 2019
Despite being perhaps the most famous and recognized theme composer/creator of sfx in the medium, Kondo's genius will never be appropriately recognized by the world at large. A generational talent unlike any other, and his philosophical approach to audio work amidst interactivity is inspired. Thinking about the Forest Temple theme, gives me chills, and despite it being largely an associative response, it distinguishes itself from the rest of the OST quite a lot while also being pitch perfect

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Despite being perhaps the most famous and recognized theme composer/creator of sfx in the medium, Kondo's genius will never be appropriately recognized by the world at large. A generational talent unlike any other, and his philosophical approach to audio work amidst interactivity is inspired. Thinking about the Forest Temple theme, gives me chills, and despite it being largely an associative response, it distinguishes itself from the rest of the OST quite a lot while also being pitch perfect

Most of the greatest videogame composers will be never recognized for their compositions, as the initial paragraph of the review states. And it's a damn shame.

I hope this starts a trend on Pitchfork and other similar outlets to look more closely to videogame music. We need a review of Castlevania SotN. For me is the best 32bit era OST as much as I love Kondo's work on OoT

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg

But, yeah, really nice combination of history and technical analysis. Thanks for linking this. (Full disclosure: Pitchfork is a corporate sibling of my outlet, but we don't collaborate on anything.)

Wow that quote nearly made me tear up. I love how it's written to evoke EXACTLY how that intro made me feel then and makes me feel now. And all it had to do was describe the timbre of the ocarina on N64 hardware. *chefs kiss*

Oh and btw, Kondo is one of earth's great treasures

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017

I think they've lifted much of this technical background info from the Iwata Asks interview with Koji Kondo and Mahito Yokota - http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/zelda-ocarina-of-time/0/0

The author should really have cited the IA, as from a quick skim it looks as though they've used the IA interviews about Ocarina of Time/Ocarina of Time 3D as reference throughout.

Last edited:

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
It's an alright soundtrack. I don't have the fondness for N64 stuff like others, I guess. Cool to see video game soundtracks recognized though. This era had great music.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
For me is the best soundtrack ever. Song of Storms still is my cellphone rig

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
One of the greatest soundtracks of all time. It has a plethora of classic, memorable tracks. The ones I'm personally most fond of however is the more out-there tracks, those you'd find in for example the dungeons. I mean, just listen to the Spirit Temple for example:

After hearing it so many times it's easy to take for granted, but this is such an inspired and unusual piece of music for a video game, especially for its time. And the game is shock-full of these cool, weird music tracks with influences from all over the place. It's an incredible piece of work.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017

I remember reading about this in iwata asks.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I think they've lifted much of this technical background info from the Iwata Asks interview with Koji Kondo and Mahito Yokota - http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/zelda-ocarina-of-time/0/0

The author should really have cited the IA, as from a quick skim it looks as though they've used the IA interviews about Ocarina of Time/Ocarina of Time 3D as reference throughout.

Yeah, Pitchfork is normally good at citing its references, so I think it's a big bummer for them not to link out here. Thanks for pointing me in right direction. (I had guessed it was an Iwata Asks, at any rate.)

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
There's just something really special about the low-fidelity-low-bitrate sounds the N64 provides. Instant nostalgia, even for someone who didn't grow up with an N64.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
for me video game soundtracks have become my main listening experience lol. they have pretty much replaced "normal" music. xb2, nier automata, old retro games osts, final fantasy soundtracks... man there is so much great stuff out there to listen to, it is impossible to list it all

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Knowing Pitchfork, it probably would have gotten like a 2.3 or some shit if it were reviewed when it came out.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Knowing Pitchfork, it probably would have gotten like a 2.3 or some shit if it were reviewed when it came out.

Most certainly. They do love to undo those scores years later. If something passes the test of time then they like to swoop in and claim that they also like it now.

To be fair, they built their empire on sniffing farts. It is just their nature.

Last edited:

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
for me video game soundtracks have become my main listening experience lol. they have pretty much replaced "normal" music. xb2, nier automata, old retro games osts, final fantasy soundtracks... man there is so much great stuff out there to listen to, it is impossible to list it all
Know of any good Spotify playlists for this kind of stuff?

I need a relaxing classic/Japanese OST playlist in my life pretty bad.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017

Knowing pitchfork, their editorial staff has undergone multiple turnovers since the late 90s to become far more inclusive of different genres since then. The sneering, snarky writers of that era are gone. Which is good. So is re-evaluation. Maybe this opens a door to them covering this kind of content more often.

Deleted member 58401

Banned
Jul 7, 2019
Wow that quote nearly made me tear up. I love how it's written to evoke EXACTLY how that intro made me feel then and makes me feel now. And all it had to do was describe the timbre of the ocarina on N64 hardware. *chefs kiss*

The author deserves a ton of credit. He did an amazing job capturing the history and the feelings that the music inspires, both. Better than almost any "game" journalism I see.

Waking up to see this as their classic album review was very surreal. I've been reading Pitchfork since this game came out, give or take a few months. The two events are almost synonymous in my life.

I hope this gives other mainstream music publications the license to treat gaming OSTs as serious compositions and the works of art that they are. Or, honestly, I'd be pretty happy if Pitchfork just reviewed Chrono Trigger and called it a day.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm of two minds on this because on the one hand it's very cool it got reviewed here at all and it's not wrong about the music itself... but also, Pitchfork is an album review site and like, as an album? The CD they're talking about there is pretty lackluster, it's just a jumbled collection of 50-90 second single loops. The OOT soundtrack deserves so much better!!

Deleted member 58401

Banned
Jul 7, 2019
I'm of two minds on this because on the one hand it's very cool it got reviewed here at all and it's not wrong about the music itself... but also, Pitchfork is an album review site and like, as an album? The CD they're talking about there is pretty lackluster, it's just a jumbled collection of 50-90 second single loops. The OOT soundtrack deserves so much better!!

It could be (and probably is) my own nostalgia playing into how cool I think it is. But they do movie soundtracks all the time, so why not? I think there is cultural cache involved. Like, I'm not going to watch [insert movie here] because they reviewed the soundtrack, but I will know the film has merits that align with my taste. And as for video games, it's brand new. It probably made a lot of readers say, "What the hell?" And if even 10 of those people went to youtube, it's a win for gaming as a whole. Believe it or not, there are still three generations on earth who didn't grow up with these things.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Jeez. I thought the title said Pitchford Retrospective review. Like, Randy Pitchford at first glance. I thought, man - not going to be a good retrospective.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
How is it not a 10?

The music makes the game. Its not just a soundtrack, its a key component to the story and the games mechanics. Its such a unique use of music and the songs are beautiful.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
It could be (and probably is) my own nostalgia playing into how cool I think it is. But they do movie soundtracks all the time, so why not? I think there is cultural cache involved. Like, I'm not going to watch [insert movie here] because they reviewed the soundtrack, but I will know the film has merits that align with my taste. And as for video games, it's brand new. It probably made a lot of readers say, "What the hell?" And if even 10 of those people went to youtube, it's a win for gaming as a whole. Believe it or not, there are still three generations on earth who didn't grow up with these things.

I'm not questioning whether they should have reviewed it, I'm questioning whether this particular album deserves a 9.0. I don't think it does, not even close. It feels like they reviewed the soundtrack, broadly, as a concept, and gave it a 9–which, sure!—but that's not really how reviews should work, I don't think. The CD they're "reviewing" here (the one they chose as the picture) is a very poor product imo.

There's still no ideal album listening experience for the OOT soundtrack 20 years later, which is baffling.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I'm not questioning whether they should have reviewed it, I'm questioning whether this particular album deserves a 9.0. I don't think it does, not even close. It feels like they reviewed the soundtrack, broadly, as a concept, and gave it a 9–which, sure!—but that's not really how reviews should work, I don't think. The CD they're "reviewing" here (the one they chose as the picture) is a very poor product imo.

There's still no ideal album listening experience for the OOT soundtrack 20 years later, which is baffling.

i was thinking about this. i had this cd around the release (a Japanese release) and the sequencing wasn't really conducive to listening to it like an album.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting reading about the technical limitations that the composers run up against. I hadn't ever thought about the music competing for resources with other aspects of the game. As someone who knows little about this aspect of game development, an eye-opening read.

The N64 in particular didn't have any dedicated sound hardware, so devs had to spare CPU resources for it. Very weird limitation given how well the SNES sound chip was exploited.

Deleted member 58401

Banned
Jul 7, 2019

Ohhhhh. On that score, I guess I don't know. Thanks for pointing that out. So, yeah, maybe an article introducing a weekly gaming music post or something would have been better. I still think it's wonderfully written, but it is very tethered to the game.

I appreciate you separating those two things in my head. And I know some have done better than others with tracklistings, but, really (asking seriously), has anyone listened to the soundtrack of a game they haven't played? Probably dating myself with that question, but I'm curious. I haven't.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
I understand the 9/10 score, but it's a 10/10 from me when I factor in the nostalgia. Honestly, I take that back - it's just a 10.

Oct 29, 2017

The recent pitchfork retrospective reviews have dug up claims that are unmentioned elsewhere. A few weeks ago they did Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works II, which was on 3 vinyl discs. They claimed that the label talked RDJ down from four. Not mentioned anywhere else, nor in the 33 1/3 written by editor in chief of Pitchfork

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
i was thinking about this. i had this cd around the release (a Japanese release) and the sequencing wasn't really conducive to listening to it like an album.

Yeah, it's basically all the loops and sould effects plopped onto a CD in order of appearance. The Majora's Mask soundtrack has the same problem. There was no effort put into arranging the tracks into something beyond a simple loop or sequencing them in a way that'd be fun to listen to. Nintendo has had this problem basically forever. The Mario 64 CD is the same way.

It's a real shame! These are some of the best game soundtracks of all time and there's no good way to appreciate them properly outside of the games really. It feels careless.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
I hope this starts a trend on Pitchfork and other similar outlets to look more closely to videogame music. We need a review of Castlevania SotN. For me is the best 32bit era OST as much as I love Kondo's work on OoT

Honestly there's a lot of great game scores, but SOTN is truly in a class of its own for it's eclecticism: Yamane shoots for the moon in like a dozen genres and nails them all, it's an astonishing feat.

Also Jun Chikuma's Bomberman Hero soundtrack needs a retrospective as one of the gems of the drum n bass era -- do it Pitchfork!

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Great article that really captures why OoT's soundtrack compliments the game and Kondo's composing style. He did new music for Super Mario Maker 2 and it's amazing that decades later he managed to write music that fits the original games. It's really like a moment out of time.

Chrono Trigger next please

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile

I don't think I can accurately describe what the OoT title theme makes me feel. What that melody manages to transmit to me.

It's sort of a... melancholy, "calm before the storm" sensation, but it's not really "sad" or anything like that. It's monumental without being "epic". It's the prelude to something that you know is grand and era-defining. Lke... you know you're about to experience something absolutely incredible when you hear that music and you watch the intro for the very first time. Kondo could've gone for bombast. Instead he chose reflection.

One of the greatest soundtracks of all time. It has a plethora of classic, memorable tracks. The ones I'm personally most fond of however is the more out-there tracks, those you'd find in for example the dungeons. I mean, just listen to the Spirit Temple for example:

After hearing it so many times it's easy to take for granted, but this is such an inspired and unusual piece of music for a video game, especially for its time. And the game is shock-full of these cool, weird music tracks with influences from all over the place. It's an incredible piece of work.

Somehow there's a cover of that theme and I absolutely love it. I wish it was longer.