• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
Just as a PSA, Pitchfork is known for controversial lists to make people talk about them. They'll work real hard to find whatever they deem to be hip but not mainstream and shove it into their lists. They'll try to avoid mainstream artists (games in this case) altogether if they can.

And what I wrote doesn't mean the listed OSTs are bad or anything like of the sort, just in case anyone tries to twist it into that.

somethingisme

Oct 27, 2017
Great list overall! I would remove Eternal Sonata due to it relying on existing classical music in favor of the original compositions of Super Mario Galaxy or Odyssey, though.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just as a PSA, Pitchfork is known for controversial lists to make people talk about them. They'll work real hard to find whatever they deem to be hip but not mainstream and shove it into their lists. They'll try to avoid mainstream artists (games in this case) altogether if they can.

And what I wrote doesn't mean the listed OSTs are bad or anything like of the sort, just in case anyone tries to twist it into that.

This is not true, like at all. They just gave the biggest release of the year an 8 by one of the biggest mainstream artists out there, which is a really good score for them. If they wanted to be hip and go along with this outdated view, they wouldn't have even covered Taylor. I see Facebook Pitchfork comments always ask why they're covering more popular artists. They've moved onto a more varied music scene. The Pitchfork you're talking about doesn't exist anymore.

They also heavily focus on pop, hip hop and r&b now. Their end of the year lists for albums and songs always feature mainstream artists in the top 10.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Things I would maybe have included:
  • Any rep from the Etrian Odyssey series.
  • Either Nier
  • That great Anamanaguchi OST for the Scott Pilgrim beat-em-up
  • The FTL OST
  • Katamari Damacy and We Love Katamari
  • No More Heroes
  • Bastion, or really any Supergiant rep
  • Persona 3 or 4
I don't disagree with any of the picks that they had (at least for those I've played), but it's just not enough for 2 decades.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Oof.

I mean, giving yourself only twelve slots for the best VG soundtracks of the past twenty [!] years is just asking for trouble, but there are some seriously lousy picks here amidst the sea of glaring omissions. (New Horizons, really? It's just the usual cozy Animal Crossing fare, with fewer memorable tunes than New Leaf...)

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
It's disgusting that Amon Tobin's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory soundtrack isn't on the list. Actually makes me fuming.

Yes

Oct 28, 2017
No Amon Tobin's OST for Chaos Theory? SMH. It even made videogames cooler in '05:

Video games still aren't quite cool, but the arrival of Amon Tobin's noirish, cinematic soundtrack for the third installment in Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell video game series, Chaos Theory, proves that they're at least getting cooler.

Also 7.2 is a quite high for Pitchfork. I quess none of the listed haven't been reviewed?

pitchfork.com

Amon Tobin: Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory OST

Ninja Tune star makes the jump to video game soundtracks with this score to Chaos Theory, Xbox's latest addition to Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell series.

FirLocke

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
NBA Street Vol. 2? Shieeeeeeeeeeet that's good.

Sure, they're missing a lot of stuff, but it's their favourites list. I am pleasantly surprised to see NBA Street listed tho, it's a great soundtrack, licenced or not.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017

That hasn't been true for like a decade. I mean just look at this list. Not really anything on here that isn't too mainstream. Lol they even have a sports game on here.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
What an embarrassing thread.

This is way WAAAAAY off the mark.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
That's a very good list, the soundtrack for Eternal Sonata is absolutely incredible.

I would have added Hotline Miami 2 to that list as well.

Oct 31, 2017
No Rockstar on this list is actually hilarious. GTA's IV and V have incredibly strong soundtracks, not even talking about the III era games. Then there's Max Payne 3 with its soundtrack compsed with HEALTH and all the other licensed songs it has too that fit it perfectly.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
Apart from Tony Hawk, SotC and P5 im unfamiliar with that list. Id have Hotline Miami and Hollow Knight in mine for sure.

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Things I would maybe have included:
  • Any rep from the Etrian Odyssey series.
  • Either Nier
  • That great Anamanaguchi OST for the Scott Pilgrim beat-em-up
  • The FTL OST
  • Katamari Damacy and We Love Katamari
  • No More Heroes
  • Bastion, or really any Supergiant rep
  • Persona 3 or 4
I don't disagree with any of the picks that they had (at least for those I've played), but it's just not enough for 2 decades.

I dont know whats worse: the fact that it took 5 pages for someone to mention FTL, or that it was left off this list. My God people!

poseph

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is not a top 20 of the last decade list. This is a favorite 20-- you know, like the title says. That's why it's in alphabetical order. They probably just asked 20 people into video games to write a short blurb on what their favorite soundtrack is. Then those people were like "Cool, yeah. Good idea for an article. I love video games." No one needs to get upset or disappointed or post the original Neutral Milk Hotel review.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Oof.

I mean, giving yourself only twelve slots for the best VG soundtracks of the past twenty [!] years is just asking for trouble, but there are some seriously lousy picks here amidst the sea of glaring omissions. (New Horizons, really? It's just the usual cozy Animal Crossing fare, with fewer memorable tunes than New Leaf...)

Controversial, but Panzer Dragoon Orta deserved it more than almost any game on this list but no one really played it.

Fans of Nier and Shadow of the Colossus would find a lot to love in it imho.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Eternal Sonata is certainly a pick. Sakuraba is completely outclassed by Chopin though (but who wouldn't be?).

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
None of the entries on the list is bad, but there are some games on there I've played where the music didn't make any impression on me, so I find curious to see on here. Specifically, Undertale. And to a lesser degree, Shadow of the Colossus, even - a game I loved, but had no strong feeling either way about the score.

As far as my personal list, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture would be there somewhere. And I'd put one of the SSX games in there over NBA Street. And Jet Set Radio/Future for sure.

Edit: And no Katamari Damacy seems seriously bizarre.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Would be nice if these lists would just be titled "Our Favourite" instead of "The Best" but I guess its attention grabbing or whatever...

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
1. New Leaf had a better soundtrack than New Horizons.

2. All the soundtracks on the list are lucky Chrono Cross released in 1999.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm down for that list even if I disagree with a lot of it because they actually defined it as "our favorites" instead of trying to do some nonsense "this is objectively the best"-type stuff. That puts them ahead of 90% of these types of lists right there.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
Not really gonna dig into what is missing or anything, I'm just really happy to see Celeste's soundtrack getting the respect it deserves

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
As per usual I couldn't disagree more with Pitchfork rankings, so at least something in the world still makes sense.