• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Love the Persona 5 soundtrack and happy to see it here, but Nier: Automata's soundtrack is frankly the best thing about it. And I don't even like Nier: Automata that much.

The lack of Furi or Hotline Miami entries is also...concerning.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Pitchfork will do 20-album lists for a single genre in a single year, yet they try to sum up 20 full freaking years of game music with only 20 selections? Come the hell on.

Anything less than 50 picks for a single decade might as well be headlined "Here, get angry at this."

personally, the lack of Disasterpeace's Fez OST burns my buns

zeitgeist

Oct 27, 2017
Putting in Eternal Sonata which was essentially Chopin focused (right?) is such a Pitchfork move.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Interesting. I'd probably have a hard time making a top 20 list. There's just so many good soundtracks out there.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
New Horizons is a kind of a weird choice for Animal Crossing given it has so little new music and while good, the original game is generally seen as having the best overall soundtrack even if it is a little bit smaller.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Great list.

Not every list has to be in lockstep with your favs. Come on lol.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
No Silent Hill 2 or 3? Hotline Miami? Nier? Halo 3: ODST? Tropical Freeze? Max Payne? Sayonara Wild Hearts?

Comes down to taste for me I suppose. There isn't really anything wrong with that list but mine would look pretty different.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only 12 OST of 20 years of gaming music means that you are leaving in the table so many great music. Not a bad list, but is lacking of course.

Is weird they picked Eternal Sonata and went to mainly praise the Chopin compositions lol

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely not my list. Tony Hawk is a cop out choice. That's like picking Rock Band lol.

I'd put The Last of Us in there. It's not bombastic but it's so well done and so integral to the game itself.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
The title of this thread misrepresents what the article contains.

Each contributor picked a unique soundtrack.

Tony Hawk and NBA Street is a pretty lazy choice and I find it reductive to even include a soundtrack featuring a compilation. Feel like they don't have enough gamers to garner anything more than 10 selections.

That's like saying the best album of your favorite band is the greatest hits.
Dont know If I agree with you there, man

Because I would certainly put Hotline Miami soundtrack on the list

Having a compilation of songs from different artists that fits the tone, makes you excited and elevates your game is no easy task

HM wouldnt have been as memorable with a different soundtrack. Same for THPS 2

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pitchfork will do 20-album lists for a single genre in a single year, yet they try to sum up 20 full freaking years of game music with only 20 selections? Come the hell on.

Anything less than 50 picks for a single decade might as well be headlined "Here, get angry at this."

personally, the lack of Disasterpeace's Fez OST burns my buns

Exactly lol

Is a shame they barely cover videgame music at all.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Fucking terrible list. No donkey Kong country, neither nier, no hotline Miami, just fucking awful all around. Animal crossing? Really? Nah man this aint it

Jun 23, 2019
Pitchfork proving they're trash as usual. No Persona 4 Golden? No NieR? No Kingdom Hearts? No Metal Gear Solid 3? No Hotline Miami? But you put in Undertale? 😂

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Not splitting OSTs and licensed soundtracks into their own lists. For OSTs, I'd say that's a great list except that Metroid Prime got robbed. For licensed games, I'd definitely have to make sure that Hotline Miami, N++, and OlliOlli get mentioned.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Atleast Space Channel is having some recognition.

I mean, we can agree this is a banger

FireCloud

Dec 26, 2017
P3 > P4 > P5 based on OST

No:
  • Nier
  • Journey
  • Thomas Was Alone
List may be good but is by no means definitive.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Undertale, Persona 5, and Celeste are all great inclusions, but I would have included also:

- The House in Fata Morgana
- Utawarerumono Trilogy
- Nier Replicant
- Nier Automata
- VA-11 HALL-A
- Tetris Effect

Check it out

Oct 25, 2017
Dont know If I agree with you there, man

Because I would certainly put Hotline Miami soundtrack on the list

Having a compilation of songs from different artists that fits the tone, makes you excited and elevates your game is no easy task

HM wouldnt have been as memorable with a different soundtrack. Same for THPS 2

That's fair. I love Tony Hawk's soundtracks and honestly it's one of the more memorable ones but I feel if you're going to make it about games, give some shine to composers and musicians who are creating for the field and separate the soundtracks that are essentially A&R.

Wes Anderson's films have the best selection of music in film for me, but I could never say that the compilation portion of his films should considered in the same category as Mark Mothersbaugh's compositions for the same films. Both are great additions to the movie but would be nominated in separate categories.