• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
I would not but it beyond DIsney to still have a weekly rollout once Disney+ releases here in Europe.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Exhibit #54783 that selling the right service at the right time at the right price will help curb piracy. Who'd have thunk

I was prepared to pay for it but they're so strict on VPNs and payment they left only one option. Most people I know have seen it.
I guess I lucked out with my setup but on AppleTV, payment is charged to my regular EU Apple account, and all I use is a smart DNS to access Disney+.

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Australians and New Zealanders

iu

Well it's settled then, criminality is genetic.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
If you want to take part in internet culture, you cannot miss that to be honest.
This was the crux of why GoT was pirated so much IMO. If something is that big a part of the zeitgeist that open spoilers pop up within an hour of airing people will find a way to watch it within that time

Well it's settled then, criminality is genetic.
Do people in other countries have open discussion about piracy in government and law enforcement offices or is that just Australians?

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I work in the most technologically illiterate office in the universe and there were still at least two USB sticks with the first two episodes being passed around. People aren't going to wait until fucking March to watch a new Star Wars that everyone's talking about online.

The stupid thing is they could just sell episodes on iTunes to give people a way to watch it legally and in a timely manner, and then roll out Disney+ as scheduled once the rights issues are sorted out. But no, they'd prefer to pretend everyone's going to wait, and no doubt run a marketing campaign in March about how people can see this show they already watched months ago.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Living in one of the markets where Disney+ isn't available until tomorrow, I can totally understand why this happened. Waiting one week after the U.S. launch seemed like forever, but waiting until March 2020 is so much worse. It's a lot of time to get spoiled by the internet as well.

Now image having to wait till November 2020....

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
Even Amazon knew they should put out an under-cooked version of their streaming service worldwide when The Grand Tour launched to avoid even bigger piracy numbers.
Don't feel sorry one bit, Disney's launch strategy for Disney + worldwide looks like something from 6 or 7 years ago.

Terrysaur

Jun 14, 2019
The reality behind this meme, though, is that most streaming customers would probably be satisfied with just one or two services. So many of these streaming services just do not have anywhere near the amount and diversity of content that Netflix, Disney+, and Prime Video have. At most, people will probably sign up for a free trial of CBS All Access, Apple TV+, Peacock, ect., watch the one or two shows they'd actually want to watch on the services, and then be done with them forever without having to actually pay for a monthly subscription. Ironically, free trials are probably helping reduce the amount of piracy ripping those particular services.

Deleted member 41502

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Heh. My PS4 "media" tab is constantly covered with ads for this, which made me laugh since you can't get D+ here in Thailand yet either. I don't even think there's an official date even.

I was pretty shocked that adult swim region locked Rick and Morty S4 outta here too.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Living in one of the markets where Disney+ isn't available until tomorrow, I can totally understand why this happened. Waiting one week after the U.S. launch seemed like forever, but waiting until March 2020 is so much worse. It's a lot of time to get spoiled by the internet as well.
In general I think that the whole 'tv show' and 'networks' thing needs to be revised in our current day culture and climate.

With Game of Thrones you ran into the issue that depending on which country you're from, it's extremely hard and/or expensive to actually get the show. For instance, here in The Netherlands, the only way to get Game of Thrones legally was if you're with Ziggo (a specific tv service provider that isn't available everywhere), have a digital tv subscription, pay for Ziggo digital tv and have a specific HBO+ subscription (which costs additional money on top of your Ziggo subscription). Depending on your situation, you're either paying close to 100€ per month to get access or even aren't able to get the show at all because your city or town doesn't have Ziggo.

Yet it was the biggest show in the world and the entirety of The Netherlands was watching it. How many people of those were watching it legally? Probably less than a quarter. Of course those people could've waited for the blu-ray, but with the way the internet works the internet was already buzzing with discussion about the episodes the hour after they aired. So unless you cut yourself off completely for months, going for blu-ray basically means that you're gonna get spoiled before you see it.

And of course, now The Mandalorian faces the same issue, only bigger as for a lot of people it's not even possible to access Disney+ unless you have for instance NordVPN and set your location to the USA or the Netherlands (which would be in the grey zone of legality). And it's only going to get worse. Soon we'll have an Amazon Prime Video Lord of the Rings show which is bound to be huge, yet in huge parts of the world Amazon Prime Video is either non-existent or almost completely unknown. I can already tell you that similar threads like this will pop up when that show releases.

When HBO Max releases, it will probably also not go worldwide, as the name HBO is tied up with different providers in different countries, as mentioned above. Let's say the next big HBO show becomes HBO Max exclusive, then people all across the world will likely have to resort to illegal downloads to even be able to watch it.

The old system simply does not work for the internet when it comes to these huge event shows, since a big reason why they work is because there's immediate discussion on them and simply saying 'you have to wait for those shows on blu-ray' is simply not an acceptable replacement for that.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I personally know at least five people that went
"Mandalorian is up? Dang i'll sub to disney+ for it"
"Nah, not available here yet"
"Meh, i'll pirate then".

Deleted member 1627

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna sit and wait until March. Alas I have had to make peace with the fact that I can't avoid spoilers as they're fucking everywhere. I find it a little odd that Disney of all folks couldn't cobble together a worldwide launch for their service, I would pay the money now for even the barebones of original content they have and reap the eventual dripfeed of back catalogue as their individual deals transfer back to their own distribution method.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Every European posting in the spoiler thread should be banned on suspicion of piracy unless they can show a recent travel document.
Can't tell if serious.
I think, Disney is fully aware of what is happening and is ready to take the L on that, right now. It would have been worse press for them if they had launched globally and their infrastructure was just not prepared for it. This way they actually get some positive hype and good responses and they can be sure that a lot of Europeans will jump on Disney+ when it's availabe everywhere.
This. Disney totally saw this coming and are Ok with it while they get ready the global rollout. Most likely reason why they haven't done deals with local distributors is they don't want their shows becoming entangled in legal shenanigans that could prevent them from being available at launch.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Yeah you'll be lucky if websites like here or the big sites in general will give even a months grace before they unleash spoiler filled articles. Apparently there's a big universe spoiler of some kind in the first episode. They genuinely think people in Europe won't get hugely spoiled before March? Come on. It is the only way for us guys. I'll be watching soon.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
They don't want to be left out of the exciting week to week conversation.

TheDudePT

Banned
Oct 3, 2019
Portugal
I'm European, I've seen it. Zero guilt, I'll sub to D+ day one when it's available here anyway as I have children and they'll love it.

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Do people still torrent stuff most people I know download from paid servers like allibrid it's like €17 a year to download files from uploaded and radigator etc

OP
OP
Team_Feisar

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I think even the SW subreddits have loosened their anti-piracy-board-rules by now because it's a "special situation", to quote on of the mods there.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Crazy it's only available in 3 countries. Tomorrow they will add another 3 countries. After that it will be available in another 6 countries after 4 freaking months.
WTH are Disney doing? Should've prepared waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than this.

Apple TV+ barely has content and was available in 100 countries day one and they originally wanted 150 countries.

OP
OP
Team_Feisar

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Did I hear right that Disney+ is VPN proof?

Yup, they are tightening up their security regarding VPNs.
It's literally wait or pirate for 3/4 of the world.
Which is fine for 1 or 2 weeks but after a month max, no big site or publication will care anymore about "old" spoilers and avoiding them will become even more of a hassle for us.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Every European posting in the spoiler thread should be banned on suspicion of piracy unless they can show a recent travel document.
I mean you could do it for every movie that hits the pirate sites before it's out on bluray or streaming. Suddenly a lot of posters "just" went to see it after not bothering for 3 months.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Disney+ is coming here maaaybe at the end of 2020, and even though I don't condone piracy it's not surprising at all to see people resorting to that.

Me I'm probably going to forget most spoilers by the time the service comes here so I don't mind them lol.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I'm from the UK but I did actually jump through hoops to get a US Disney+ subscription.

As such I claim the high ground beside Obi-Wan Kenobi.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Crazy it's only available in 3 countries. Tomorrow they will add another 3 countries. After that it will be available in another 6 countries after 4 freaking months.
WTH are Disney doing? Should've prepared waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than this.

Apple TV+ barely has content and was available in 100 countries day one and they originally wanted 150 countries.

The fact that it barely has any content made it much easier. The disney stuff is a licensing nightmare. It takes months to get the contracts sorted out that you signed for your 100 year old content.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, they are tightening up their security regarding VPNs.
It's literally wait or pirate for 3/4 of the world.
Which is fine for 1 or 2 weeks but after a month max, no big site or publication will care anymore about "old" spoilers and avoiding them will become even more of a hassle for us.

That is really unfortunate...not looking for site names, but can you guys stream it safely somewhere, or do you roll the dice with torrent sites? I haven't touched one of those in probably 11 years, but I know with my luck I'd download a Trojan or something.

Terrysaur

Jun 14, 2019
In general I think that the whole 'tv show' and 'networks' thing needs to be revised in our current day culture and climate. [...] With Game of Thrones you ran into the issue that depending on which country you're from, it's extremely hard and/or expensive to actually get the show. [...] Yet it was the biggest show in the world and the entirety of The Netherlands was watching it. How many people of those were watching it legally? Probably less than a quarter. [...] The old system simply does not work for the internet when it comes to these huge event shows, since a big reason why they work is because there's immediate discussion on them and simply saying 'you have to wait for those shows on blu-ray' is simply not an acceptable replacement for that.

I totally agree with this. Quality will drive audiences to a show, but only accessibility will drive audiences to a platform. In the internet age, media companies who think they can drive audiences to their platform simply by making a popular show exclusive to their platform are shitting themselves. Though, I will make a point...

Soon we'll have an Amazon Prime Video Lord of the Rings show which is bound to be huge, yet in huge parts of the world Amazon Prime Video is either non-existent or almost completely unknown. I can already tell you that similar threads like this will pop up when that show releases. [...] When HBO Max releases, it will probably also not go worldwide, as the name HBO is tied up with different providers in different countries, as mentioned above. Let's say the next big HBO show becomes HBO Max exclusive, then people all across the world will likely have to resort to illegal downloads to even be able to watch it.

...Prime Video is available in virtually every country, and it has 96.5 million subscribers in the United States alone as of August 2019, and come bundled with an Amazon Prime subscription at €6 a month in the Netherlands and US$12 in the United States. I don't think piracy will be that much of a problem for Lord of the Rings, since it'll be more accessible worldwide, and cheaper. Meanwhile HBO Max will cost US$15 a month and will only be in the Americas by the end of 2020. If anything, we should be rooting for the success of broader, cheaper services that adopt Prime Video and Netflix's model of balancing accessibility and price.

The fact that it barely has any content made it much easier. The disney stuff is a licensing nightmare. It takes months to get the contracts sorted out that you signed for your 100 year old content.

This and the fact that – as far as I understand it – the majority of Apple TV+'s content are new originals, meaning they're not having to renegotiate licensing deals like Disney are, since Apple literally just produced these series they're putting out.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This and the fact that – as far as I understand it – the majority of Apple TV+'s content are new originals, meaning they're not having to renegotiate licensing deals for old films and series like Disney are

Yeah. House of Cards wasn't even on the german Netflix because they signed the rights away before they officially launched in Germany. Now imagine that with 60 year old movies where you aren't even sure who owns the dubs and companies who bought the rights may not even exist anymore. It's a fucking nightmare, they could've delayed the US one until it got sorted but that woud cost even more.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Surely they knew beforehand. That's why I said they should've prepared better. And if it's about licenses than it doesn't matter how much content Apple has then, since all of the content are originals, so they are the owner of everything on their services. Guess Disney just wanted to rush it out before year's end. But what does it matter if it's only gonna be available in 6 countries. Hopefully the people who pirated the show will pay for the service once it's available in their countries.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Surely they knew beforehand. That's why I said they should've prepared better.
it's likely that they are in the process of sorting out for a loooong time now. delaying the US release further would probably end up costing a lot more than having europeans pirating their star show. they can get them on the hook for season 2 at least.