• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
I mentioned this in the other thread, but a lot of people in developing countries have, in time, adopted Netflix over piracy for convenience, as paying a few ā‚¬ for a big library you have access to everywhere is nothing.

But if more of these services start to pop up, that means bigger cost with less convenience. Ergo, you will be seeing a big surge in piracy, once again.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
That's wild. It really is ridiculous that there's such a large gap.

At least y'all have a release date. Most companies treat Malaysians as dirty, worthless pirates from day one lol.

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not surprised it's popular, although Game of Thrones level sure is something.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
pendanmi.gif

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
To no surprise to anyone. What did they expect? I mean the earliest launch for a european country to get Disney+ is in like march next year right? that doesn't give anyone right to piracy of course, but it's a sure bet of happening though.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I'm waiting for the official release, but I don't blame people for doing it. Spoilers for this show are everywhere. Its way worse than any GoT episode.
Episode 9 opens in Europe the day before the USA, so I hope spoiler karma strikes all those people spoiling Mandalorian on purpose. šŸ˜

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
I seriously doubt Americans care enough about the rest of the world regarding spoilers and lots of countries will receive the content in 3-4 months at the earliest. Wtf did they except.

Every European posting in the spoiler thread should be banned on suspicion of piracy unless they can show a recent travel document.
Murrica First.

PapaJustify

Nov 3, 2017
Germany
Except the Dutch, who got lucky. Do we even know why they decided on The Netherlands as their go-to country for the test and first European launch?

Their European base is in the Netherlands (and UK). Also the Netherlands are an important overseas touch point to the US in terms of internet connections and speed for the European market.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Sucks. I've not seen it yet (UK) but been spoiled on a couple of things and am sure that will persist through to March.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not surprised it's popular, although Game of Thrones level sure is something.

Not that much. It's Star Wars after all. GOT is big yes. But Star Wars is even more. The cartoon shows might not rank up big numbers but that's because it's cartoons. A Star Wars live show ? That might be the best thing released for the franchise since Rogue One ? Of fucking course everyone would want to see it as soon as possible regardless of the official release date for where they live.

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I seriously doubt Americans care enough about the rest of the world regarding spoilers and lots of countries will receive the content in 3-4 months at the earliest. Wtf did they except.
This is a big reason too. I imagine people worried about spoilers aren't going to want to wait for some American to spoil them. I've already seen a few around Era.

PapaJustify

Nov 3, 2017
Germany
All those
Baby Yoda
pictures alone going publicly through social media or as memes are bad enough a spoiler to warrant this behaviour. If you want to take part in internet culture, you cannot miss that to be honest.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
What if you torrent the mandalorian and then pay for Disney plus in March but don't use it for a month? Like a delayed payment plan.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Should've gone the HBO way and give some temporary rights to sky so they can air it a day after US release.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Disney didn't see this coming then they are complete idiots. Part of the reason why people started torrenting shows in the first place was because they didn't want to wait for ages to watch a show that had already aired in the US. Services like Netflix are convenient and means people don't have to wait, so it discourages torrenting, but it's easy to fall back to old habits if that's the only option available.

That's the thing. In Italy between the main 2-3 providers (Sky, Netflix and Amazon Prime alongside the free TV options like Rai and Mediaset) you can get nearly all the big shows out there, at worst you'll miss out on some sleeper hits like Killing Eve which you can throw in a month of TIM Vision for if you really want it. One of the biggest shows of the year is not available in Italy, and will not be available for another 5 months or so. A LOT of entertainment websites, social media pages, etc. talk about it. There's open spoilers trending on fucking Twitter. I see mild spoilers for it all the time on my Facebook timeline and I don't think I liked a single Star Wars-related page.

Enthusiasts are not gonna wait half a year to get their hands on this, that's about it. Some will try some tricks with VPN and such. Somebody will resort to a US buddy. But most people will simply resort to piracy, yeah. That's an option people used in the past because tons of great shows either never arrived in Italy or they did so late, and catching up on them is extremely expensive at times. Services like Netflix made that a moot point: a shared Netflix account is like 2-3 Euros per person and you get day 1 releases on stuff like Stranger Things or Mindhunter. You can also easily catch up on classics like Lost or Breaking Bad. There is currently no legal way of watching this other big show right now, not for another 6 months.

Even Sky adapted to the day 1 mentality by offering subs the option to watch big shows literally at the same time as the USA audience, at 2-3am local or something for stuff like Watchmen, True Detective or Game of Thrones. On Netflix, global events like The Cloverfield Paradox (shadow dropped after the Superbowl last year) or a new Stranger Things season are synced worldwide, so nobody is left behind. Disney just released a highly anticipated series set in one of the biggest media products of all time - the first proper TV show such a multiple decade-spanning multimedia franchise ever received. And the luckier side of Europe gets it in like 5 months. Much of the world gets it even later.

It's obvious this is happening. People shouldn't resort to piracy, but then again people shouldn't be put in a position where the only options are wait until God knows when or piracy either. Disney handles the Disney+ launch very poorly and chances are that by the time I will be able to watch it I'll know most of the story beats despite trying to avoid them. I mean, it's like when Breaking Bad's finale happened: even those uninterested were practically aware of how it ended, so if you were waiting a year or so to catch up... sucks to be you. Now this is happening with The Mandalorian and it's all because Disney with all their billions can't do a proper digital service launch.

Oct 30, 2017
That's the thing. In Italy between the main 2-3 providers (Sky, Netflix and Amazon Prime alongside the free TV options like Rai and Mediaset) you can get nearly all the big shows out there, at worst you'll miss out on some sleeper hits like Killing Eve which you can throw in a month of TIM Vision for if you really want it. One of the biggest shows of the year is not available in Italy, and will not be available for another 5 months or so. A LOT of entertainment websites, social media pages, etc. talk about it. There's open spoilers trending on fucking Twitter. I see mild spoilers for it all the time on my Facebook timeline and I don't think I liked a single Star Wars-related page.

Enthusiasts are not gonna wait half a year to get their hands on this, that's about it. Some will try some tricks with VPN and such. Somebody will resort to a US buddy. But most people will simply resort to piracy, yeah. That's an option people used in the past because tons of great shows either never arrived in Italy or they did so late, and catching up on them is extremely expensive at times. Services like Netflix made that a moot point: a shared Netflix account is like 2-3 Euros per person and you get day 1 releases on stuff like Stranger Things or Mindhunter. You can also easily catch up on classics like Lost or Breaking Bad. There is currently no legal way of watching this other big show right now, not for another 6 months.

Even Sky adapted to the day 1 mentality by offering subs the option to watch big shows literally at the same time as the USA audience, at 2-3am local or something for stuff like Watchmen, True Detective or Game of Thrones. On Netflix, global events like The Cloverfield Paradox (shadow dropped after the Superbowl last year) or a new Stranger Things season are synced worldwide, so nobody is left behind. Disney just released a highly anticipated series set in one of the biggest media products of all time - the first proper TV show such a multiple decade-spanning multimedia franchise ever received. And the luckier side of Europe gets it in like 5 months. Much of the world gets it even later.

It's obvious this is happening. People shouldn't resort to piracy, but then again people shouldn't be put in a position where the only options are wait until God knows when or piracy either. Disney handles the Disney+ launch very poorly and chances are that by the time I will be able to watch it I'll know most of the story beats despite trying to avoid them. I mean, it's like when Breaking Bad's finale happened: even those uninterested were practically aware of how it ended, so if you were waiting a year or so to catch up... sucks to be you. Now this is happening with The Mandalorian and it's all because Disney with all their billions can't do a proper digital service launch.
As a European, couldn't have put it better. Disney made their bed, they can lie in it.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I haven't seen it yet, and yeah, I got spoiled already. Feel like an idiot now, that's what I get for not pirating it.
Disney really screwed up here. No judgement from me if someone won't wait that long.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a bullshit statement. Just 5 minutes on YouTube the day after an episode drops or looking at Twitter will spoil all the major beats including pics of the biggest points.
I browse youtube daily and besides a review for the first episodes, I saw nothing about the show
Twitter depends on if you follow billions of people related to star wars I suppose, but twitter is trash anyway

OP
OP
Team_Feisar

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I browse youtube daily and besides a review for the first episodes, I saw nothing about the show
Twitter depends on if you follow billions of people related to star wars I suppose, but twitter is trash anyway

I got around 5 recommended videos with major spoilers for the first 2 episodes as their thumbnails on YT. It's either "avoid everything star wars on principle" or risk getting randomly spoiled.

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I got around 5 recommended videos with major spoilers for the first 2 episodes as their thumbnails on YT. It's either "avoid everything star wars on principle" or risk getting randomly spoiled.
Avoiding everything Star Wars related on YT tends to be my default, tbh. Otherwise the algorithm likes to flood you with 500 reasons why TLJ is worse than Hitler.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I'm honestly surprised people care so much about spoilers for this show. It seems fairly disconnected from the main Star Wars continuity from what I've seen so far.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
As someone in the UK, I didn't even know it was released already until yesterday when someone on my FB posted that it was awesome.

They clearly pirated it lol. I'm tempted to watch it but have no issues waiting until Disney+ comes out, it's not like I'm low on things to watch. Although already being spoiled on stuff months before I have the option to watch it does suck.

PapaJustify

Nov 3, 2017
Germany
I think, Disney is fully aware of what is happening and is ready to take the L on that, right now. It would have been worse press for them if they had launched globally and their infrastructure was just not prepared for it. This way they actually get some positive hype and good responses and they can be sure that a lot of Europeans will jump on Disney+ when it's availabe everywhere.