• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
To the Surprise of absolutely no one:

https://i.stuff.co.nz/entertainment...already-one-of-the-most-pirated-shows-of-2019

"TorrentFreak reports that in recent days the show has appeared on various pirate sites with "hundreds of thousands of downloads and streams, if not more". Interest in the show has resulted in a surge in illegal torrenting similar to when Games of ThronesSeason 8 was released."

I'm against illegally watching Stuff, but that's kinda on them, really.

Also, im sure we'll see piracy rates going up again now that streaming services get more and more featured again after the de facto monopoly of Netflix and maybe Amazon Prime.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah it's not surprising that most don't want to wait ages to watch one of the biggest shows of the year.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Disney was dumb to not launch Disney+ worldwide - even if it meant a cheaper, more barebones service in Europe/Asia/etc. until more comprehensive library deals could be worked out. I'm sure a ton of people would be willing to pay the equivalent of like $5 a month just for The Mandalorian.

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, did they think they wouldn't? I'm really surprised they didn't sort out some sort of temporary deal with Sky to show it in the UK.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I'm shocked

And yeah, this will only get worse as more and more streaming services pop up.

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
User Warned: Justifying Piracy
Of course, it's Disney fault to be honest, no way I can wait for so long, especially without getting spoiled.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
It's not surprising really. Nobody can avoid spoilers for months, so the Europeans who are really interested in this show and don't want to be spoiled with everything until this finally launches have very little options.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
They could have been less strict about VPNs - as long as they're seen to be 'doing enough' to shut up those companies that have licensed the content in other markets.
They could have soft launched with only original content for either free/extended free trial/heavily discounted rate. (I'd have paid)

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's too funny on German Twitter asking more famous people "Ugh how did you watch? VPN?" and they always say "You know how..." Disney fucked themselves.

Terrysaur

Jun 14, 2019
Living in one of the markets where Disney+ isn't available until tomorrow, I can totally understand why this happened. Waiting one week after the U.S. launch seemed like forever, but waiting until March 2020 is so much worse. It's a lot of time to get spoiled by the internet as well.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
This thread....

giphy.gif

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
I mean, it shouldn't surprise anyone, they rolled the service in the two and half countries and the rest of the world must wait from half a year to two years to watch it legally, not gonna happen.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny that the show is already dubbed in other languages, or at least in German according to the Wikipedia page, but Disney is just going to sit on it for almost half a year.

Oct 26, 2017
One of the biggest media conglomerate on the planet is not able to roll-out their service to Europe, this is what happens when you treat a sizable portion of the world like 2nd class citizien and you let them wait for half a year for a show, it's still a shitty thing to do, but what can they do now?

Personally i have 0 interest in Star Wars but this is what bound to happen when they announced Disney+ roll out to US first and some other countries.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not interested enough to be bothered by the delay, but even in richer European countries this series (and the rest of Disney+) is coming in like half a year later. In our age of social media and such, that's an awfully long time to keep up with the hot topic. I don't condone piracy in any way, I'm just saying it's predictable this happened as Europeans won't have any legal way to watch the show for another 6 months (VPN is borderline stuff).

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Given spoilers were trending at #1 on Twitter in the UK, a region that doesn't have it yet, yeah, I ain't surprised.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
tenor.gif

I mean. It's not a random TV show no one in Europe ever heard of. It's fucking Star Wars. It was bound to happen the minute they announced the service will be late on the other side of the Atlantic.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
You basically going: 'Nope, will not wait, I can watch this in other ways' is not the same as implying this would happen; that's saying you would engage in piracy yourself.

I said "That I can tell you. There are other ways to get the content. It's just that easy. " And that's what's happened here in Europe. If that is encouraging pirating, what I am not, and I am not doing, I don't know anymore.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
User Warned: Justifying Piracy
I was prepared to pay for it but they're so strict on VPNs and payment they left only one option. Most people I know have seen it.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Disney was dumb to not launch Disney+ worldwide - even if it meant a cheaper, more barebones service in Europe/Asia/etc. until more comprehensive library deals could be worked out. I'm sure a ton of people would be willing to pay the equivalent of like $5 a month just for The Mandalorian.

This. Its insane. Why would they do such a slapstick launch in this digital day and age. I still cannot find when it will launch for the majority of Asia.

Enkidu

Oct 27, 2017
If Disney didn't see this coming then they are complete idiots. Part of the reason why people started torrenting shows in the first place was because they didn't want to wait for ages to watch a show that had already aired in the US. Services like Netflix are convenient and means people don't have to wait, so it discourages torrenting, but it's easy to fall back to old habits if that's the only option available.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's so dumb of them to not launch the service simultaneously.

They're basically making people accustom to illegally stream their content. When the service will launch in a barebone state content wise a sizable amount of people will just continue what they were doing because why not?

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not surprised, I got spoiled by the episode 1 reveal only a day later.

But in a way it doesn't make a difference because the chance of making it till March 2020 without getting spoiled was minuscule.

I mean it IS the first Star Wars TV show.

Illegal downloads and streams will make a massive comeback into the mainstream.

that's my 2020 prediction.
Not only are there too many services that only have 2-3 shows people really want to watch.
The region locking of content as big as Star Wars will take care of the rest.

This is coming from a German who experienced the 2000s where even the least tech savvy people were watching The Wire, Sopranos etc on streaming sites and/or burned discs.
Piracy never disappeared 100% but with Prime/Netflix as the quasi monopolies, regular people stopped bothering.

fully agreed. An over-abundance of streaming services will lead to the return of the early 2000s piracy-wise.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Illegal downloads and streams will make a massive comeback into the mainstream.

that's my 2020 prediction.
Not only are there too many services that only have 2-3 shows people really want to watch.
The region locking of content as big as Star Wars will take care of the rest.

This is coming from a German who experienced the 2000s where even the least tech savvy people were watching The Wire, Sopranos etc on streaming sites and/or burned discs.
Piracy never disappeared 100% but with Prime/Netflix as the quasi monopolies, regular people stopped bothering.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda assumed this was out everywhere.
But it's on a 4 month delay?
What the fuck?

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every European posting in the spoiler thread should be banned on suspicion of piracy unless they can show a recent travel document.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I used a VPN to subscribe and watch it but they've started cracking down on them and it's getting harder to get connected to the system now. Very disappointing they're actively trying to discourage us giving them money to watch Disney+ shows. Considering all of the "due to exclusivity x title will be available 2020/2021" on the system I'm surprised they didn't just launch in Europe fully with that disclaimer on all content covered by current contracts - there's already loads of it on the US system and in the UK atleast they already have a robust streaming service in DisneyLife (which I am also subscribed to, so I'm literally paying twice for Disney streaming services - no piracy here). Just updating that to D+, putting some of the exclusive shows on there, and locking away all exclusivity-restricted content would've still made a bunch of people sub.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I said "That I can tell you. There are other ways to get the content. It's just that easy. " And that's what's happened here in Europe. If that is encouraging pirating, what I am not, and I am not doing, I don't know anymore.
It is, yes. Saying you have a problem with the delayed release in your region, followed by the statement that you'll stick to Netflix because there's other ways to view this exclusive content, definitely fits the bill.

But I'm not here to discuss the details of your ban, that's not up to me really.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I'm against pirating anything so will have to wait until March. Seems like I've already seen it after going on social media though:(

Id have paid for a blu ray version if they had one available in non D+ countries, but hey ho.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Dunno what they expected. There was a 4K HDR rip out of the first episode within like an hour of it airing.
I feel like content owners haven't caught up to this fact yet. We're not in the Napster / Limewire era, where pirates are getting a poorer product in the form of a compressed MP3; everything from 4K HDR web downloads to complete UHD BluRay remuxes is available day and date with the physical release - and often sooner with discs, given the regional release of those.

One of the MAJOR advantages that streaming services have over physical media is that they can push stuff out globally, negating these situations where people turn to piracy because what they want isn't available in their region. In the case of The Mandalorian, you can watch it in Europe without any hit to the quality - the only difference being that Disney aren't getting paid.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
I got banned a week or so ago here for implying exactly what happened here. -.-
I saw your post. You gave the mods no choice.
Inevitable with region locking and I can see it getting worse as more streaming services appear.
All the evidence is there. No excuse for not learning from a decade and a half of TV events being pirated to fuck. Also VPN are much more common now so people know they aren't getting letters from their ISP. No sympathy and I love reading articles like this. [shrug]