• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
https://m.twitch.tv/directory

Over 200k people are watching Twitch streamers play the game. Excitement for the game has been building for a while. Streamers were waiting for the game to drop on Wednesday before it was delayed to Friday. It reached the #2 spot then while they waited for the store page to update.

Currently the game is only playable for streamers as the devs have said they aren't yet ready for everyone to jump in.

Check out the OT for the game here.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
It was at 200k when people where waiting for it to launch so this is not surprising. It will stay up there for awhile and will probably sell extremely well cause variety streamers love survival games and so far they seem to be enjoying this one.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
That is what happens when you pay alot of big streamers to play your game, yes.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I haven't really followed the game. Is it really a MMO or just another ARK with pirate theme?

In my book, a MMO needs hundreds, if not thousands of players playing at the same time/instance, and cities with NPCs, as well as story to tie them all together.

This game looks even shittier than ARK wtf how is it so hyped.
There are people out there who can appreciate gameplay and mechanics over graphics.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't really followed the game. Is it really a MMO or just another ARK with pirate theme?

In my book, a MMO needs hundreds, if not thousands of players playing at the same time/instance, and cities with NPCs, as well as story to tie them all together.

There are people out there who can appreciate gameplay and mechanics over graphics.

Servers are 40k capacity.

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fallout with Ninja and Rick and Morty could only get 30k.

This is how you do it Bethesda btw. Not even need a good game.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
They got free copies not paid. Streamers know survival games bring in viewers. They don't need to get paid by the devs.
Eh, doubt they'll receive 0 money for free advertisement.

Anyhow, this is not indicative of anything until the game launches. Keep those numbers consistent for weeks and it says something.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
We'll see how it holds up when it's not just streamers on the servers. The streamer Giantwaffle said that there are only 57 people on his server.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
We'll see how it holds up when it's not just streamers on the servers. The streamer Giantwaffle said that there are only 57 people on his server.
Yeah, I wanna see what happens when 500 players are in the same area. Eve Online, the poster child for large player counts, still struggles over a decade later, and they're a much larger company.

Iadien

Oct 25, 2017

Anyhow, this is not indicative of anything until the game launches. Keep those numbers consistent for weeks and it says something.

They would all have ad in their title if they were being paid.

It's just a great game to stream

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Watched Cohh for a while. Lol, all games look fun when he plays them.

As other coop multiplayer survival games it's not for me, but it should be fun watching.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017

They get a ton of subs
That's amazing. Is everything persistent?

Just started watching a stream, and it really is just another survival & building game. Not what I expected from a MMO.
there are a ton of islands and every zone is it's own server with a player cap. You'll never have more than a few hundred people in the same area. When you sail to another island it's supposed to move you to the another server seamlessly. But yes it has it's foundations as a survival game so that will be a big part of it.

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
Why is it showing as 'still not available' on the Steam page?

Did they only let streamers play first so people watching wouldn't see any server issues due to amount of players?

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really excited for this game, it has so much potential, hopefully it will be stable once the floodgates are open to the public.

ShadowSwordmaster

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Believe me this will last a while. Games like that are pure streamer bait but somehow it just works. ARK did way better than it should so will this
ARK has been a Top 20 Twitch game for quite some time now. Let's see how it's spiritual successor does. Not all games have 200k viewers at launch by the way. Most don't beat Fortnite.
We had the same thread when SCUM came out and that is not in the top ten anymore. This game might do well, but it won't be in the top spot after a couple days or even a week at least.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
But keep in mind this is a server with only streamers. When everyone can play, things could be entirely different.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned - Thread Whining
Why is this a thread? Its currently only available to streamers.. the games been delayed 4 times, and people have been over hyping it like crazy.. of course its gonna be #1 a cpl hours after streamer launch.

Are peope here this new to twitch?

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
No game will be in the top spot for long. Fortnite and League of Legends are leagues(pun intended) ahead.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
But keep in mind this is a server with only streamers. When everyone can play, things could be entirely different.
Yeah that's the big question. In theory as long as the server transition tech works it should be fine cause each server will probably have less of a load than in a standard survival game where they all got capacity instantly. In this game people will be scattered. That being said this game will have a lot of people playing at launch lol. It's gonna be a sight.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's the big question. In theory as long as the server transition tech works it should be fine cause each server will probably have less of a load than in a standard survival game where they all got capacity instantly. In this game people will be scattered. That being said this game will have a lot of people playing at launch lol. It's gonna be a sight.
Hmm, I wonder if there will be some kind of phasing ala WoW with places that are huge in terms of population...

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I don't understand why they've chosen for the current sailing mechanic. They've got their work cut out for them. Just copy the way Sea of Thieves does it..

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Let's wait an see.
The first day / week Twitch race is happening for any new game with some amount of hype.

OP
OP
Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Oh... that's... different I guess?

Well hopefully the game community doesn't progress so much that some island ends up turning into a major hub and everyone ends up concetrated over there.
The map is pretty massive so hopefully it will help scatter players.
E9WDEEbnZbqNHnEATGT9T.jpg

Kei-

Mar 1, 2018
To put into perspective, Smash Ultimate is down to like 20k viewers, but it's a much bigger game than Atlas. This doesn't mean anything...on its own. Every new game with the slightest bit of promotion is big on twitch in the beginning, I mean even Radical Heights was big, let's not forget Realm Royale and countless others

Not saying you have to maintain these numbers like Fortnite, League, CS, PUBG etc. But at least maintain these numbers for at least a few weeks before they mean anything really.

Yes, people are interested in the the game. 200k watching at launch with literally only big streamers having access at the moment doesn't mean anything.

It won't maintain these numbers

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
To put into perspective, Smash Ultimate is down to like 20k viewers, but it's a much bigger game than Atlas. This doesn't mean anything...on its own. Every new game with the slightest bit of promotion is big on twitch in the beginning, I mean even Radical Heights was big, let's not forget Realm Royale and countless others

Not saying you have to maintain these numbers like Fortnite, League, CS, PUBG etc. But at least maintain these numbers for at least a few weeks before they mean anything really.

Yes, people are interested in the the game. 200k watching at launch with literally only big streamers having access at the moment doesn't mean anything.

It won't maintain these numbers

Sea of Thieves had these numbers at launch. Which (along other reasons) lead to it getting more than 5 million players. Twitch launch numbers do help, it's one big advertisement. If the game can keep within the reach of the top 20 after that, it's done alright.