• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
wat

Who asked for this. Disney stop

dat bubble

e9WMiV9.png

sYG243m.png

1Kxa9mi.png

hYSzasf.png

pS20UWe.png

OP
OP
ContractHolder

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
I know these remakes are popular. I'm practically a Disney adult. I'm aware. Those were good movies though (the originals at least). Who cares about Pinocchio in current year though.

To be fair, a few years ago, people were saying who cares about Top Gun 2 in the current year. And now that movie made $150 million in the US.

Honestly just depends on execution more than gap between the original work.

Dec 30, 2020
I've read the original book so one simple question:

Will this version have Geppetto going to jail, Pinocchio murdering Jiminy Cricket with a hammer, and Pinocchio then getting hung from the neck until dead while a zombie girl watches from her house of the dead?

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Will this version have Geppetto going to jail, Pinocchio murdering Jiminy Cricket with a hammer, and Pinocchio then getting hung from the neck until dead while a zombie girl watches from her house of the dead?
I guess I'm gonna have to read Pinocchio

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017

I'm hoping Del Toros version goes into the more darker stuff of the original story. There's also a Souls like game that's being worked on.

Now that I think about it, there's like 3-4 Pinocchio projects happening.

Last edited:

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I know these remakes are popular. I'm practically a Disney adult. I'm aware. Those were good movies though (the originals at least). Who cares about Pinocchio in current year though.

Yeah, you're getting jumped on for this and all, but that gotcha list lacks Dumbo and Pete's Dragon, two remake that were considered disappointments relative to their budgets. So obviously there are some Disney 'classics' that a lot of people aren't asking for, or at least asking for as much. But if this is just something they're going to shit out on Big D then it probably doesn't matter much.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Yeah, you're getting jumped on for this and all, but that gotcha list lacks Dumbo and Pete's Dragon, two remake that were considered disappointments relative to their budgets. So obviously there are some Disney 'classics' that a lot of people aren't asking for, or at least asking for as much. But if this is just something they're going to shit out on Big D then it probably doesn't matter much.
yeah even if it's a mid movie it's D+ content that will keep some people subscribed so whatever. I think Mulan and Lady and Tramp were also underperformers. LATT was an early D+ only movie though. Lower budget.

I can't say I asked for Chip and Dale but I loved that movie

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
No way you expect a princess and the frog to do better than Pinochio. They should do both tho but I don't blame them for throwimg out Pinocchio. There is a reason why there are three projects in the works.
Oh I'm not saying i want it because i expect it to do better

ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017
What the hell happened with the Pinocchio IP that everyone and their mom is shitting out an adaptation all of a sudden? (except for del Toro, his will be good).

Edit: nvm it's in the public domain

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Eh, I don't have a problem with this being remade considering all the Karma Houdinis of the original film.

Like, that movie is somewhat unsatisfying to me since not a single villain gets their comeuppance, even if just a slight one. I know that's kinda on-brand for old-timey Disney but that doesn't really give them any more points in that regard.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize this was getting dumped on Disney+

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Eh, I don't have a problem with this being remade considering all the Karma Houdinis of the original film.

Like, that movie is somewhat unsatisfying to me since not a single villain gets their comeuppance, even if just a slight one. I know that's kinda on-brand for old-timey Disney but that doesn't really give them any more points in that regard.
I mean one could make the interpretation that sometimes you can't get rid of every problem in the world, but that one must do their best to avoid being involved. I.e. taking a stranger's word at face value. Essentially taking caution for yourself.

But still, it did feel bitter that Pinocchio could have at least pointed out what happened. I mean Geppetto, was wondering himself before deciding to just forget about and being glad he is reunited with his son.

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised it's D+ and not in theater.

Also, I wonder if Pinocchio is like one of the most adapted story ever. I remember clearly seeing a live-action version in the 90s at the drive-in, and a quick search on IMDb shows hundreds of results.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Everyone who keeps watching Disney remakes either in theaters or the D+ originals movie remakes.

I didn't realize this was getting dumped on Disney+

Surprised it's D+ and not in theater.

While most of the live action remakes have done big box office, the ones of lower tier that are from less beloved classics haven't been nearly as successful (specifically Dumbo and Pete's Dragon). So it makes sense they aren't going to bother with a theater run since it'll probably be moderately successful at best since this definitely isn't in the kind of tier as an Aladdin or something