• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
I think some are freaking out unnecessarily about "buying food from strangers". Go to a farmers market. Plenty of home made sauces and jellys.

Buying food made by strangers isn't weird.

What's weird is buying food from someone who is clearly an idiot and full of shit. Who won't disclose their ingrediants/mistakes on the labels.

The lady is sending milk products through the mail. That's weird. Not the concept of buying food

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I think some are freaking out unnecessarily about "buying food from strangers". Go to a farmers market. Plenty of home made sauces and jellys.

Buying food made by strangers isn't weird.

What's weird is buying food from someone who is clearly an idiot and full of shit. Who won't disclose their ingrediants/mistakes on the labels.

The lady is sending milk products through the mail. That's weird. Not the concept of buying food

I can't speak to other countries, but here in the US farmers markets are regulated by their state, including what they're allowed to sell.

Here in PA: https://www.agriculture.pa.gov/consumer_protection/FoodSafety/Retail Food/Pages/Farmers-Markets.aspx

This is just somebody making mystery food in their kitchen then shipping it.

But I do understand what you're saying. This social media version of buying prepared foods from individual people seems like an offshoot of something that used to be a lot more common: the neighborhood sharing and commerce of food. I'm thinking of the few people I know (including one who's a trained chef) who made a decent chunk of change during lockdown preparing plates of food and delivering them to people.

And I won't sit here and pretend like I didn't buy a few of those plates...

Sangral

Powered by Friendship™
Feb 17, 2022
Aren't there regulations for stuff like this? I know I can't simply throw food together in my country and sell it privately without going against a ton of health law regulation stuff.

Is this because of " 'Merica" again? That f'n country I swear....

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017

It all depends on the ingredients. Sauces and jams in a sealed jar can keep for years depending on the ingredients.

The reason why some things from a store with milk in it can keep for months or years is that is also has artificial additives that helps it keep for longer.

Someone making X in their own kitchen is very unlikely to do that.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
It all depends on the ingredients. Sauces and jams in a sealed jar can keep for years depending on the ingredients.

The reason why some things from a store with milk in it can keep for months or years is that is also has artificial additives that helps it keep for longer.

Yeah, I'm not disagreeing.

It's just funny to see the comments saying "why would you buy food from strangers on the internet" when no one has any idea where any of their food comes from

Like, she didn't disclose it had milk products. That's the fucked up part.

If someone said "I have a great homemade BBQ sauce" I don't think it's weird to purchase provided they have a certain pedigree/reviews. The issue isn't buying shit from people online. It's buying from scammers who haven't gone through the proper procedures.

Also the pink sauce person claims to be a chef. People are just too trusting

Nov 4, 2017

Preservatives and other additives are not even necessary. Milk and dairy products can be given a shelf life measured in months or even years purely through ultra-heat treatment. There's just no way some rando making pink goo in their kitchen has UHT facilities in their house.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The mystery surrounding the sauce's flavor, which has been likened to ranch dressing

Honestly the best part.

All this sturm and drang for pink ranch.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017

The canning process itself helps with a lot of bacteria prevention. If you were to make jam at home and skip boiling them to seal them it would be a bacteria colony in a few days. If you skip the heat part a lot of preserved foods turn into piles of mold and bacteria super fast.

Vapelord

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
Yup. Any read of this focusing solely on tiktok and not social media/people as a whole is pretty disingenuous. The amount of pearl clutchers over tiktok in particular is hilarious
Yeah was going to say, there's always tons of food listed in my local Facebook marketplace. People selling exclusively out of their house instead of some overpriced rental storefront.

kamen_tater

Oct 27, 2017
Tiktok didn't exist when people were told to put their phone in microwaves to fast charge them. Stupid people will always exist.
Aren't there regulations for stuff like this? I know I can't simply throw food together in my country and sell it privately without going against a ton of health law regulation stuff.

Is this because of " 'Merica" again? That f'n country I swear....
I'm sure you can actually. It's just not sold on shelves in a big store, but people sell food that has not been checked by a governing body everywhere. You think street food in S. Korea is regulated? Or farmer's markets?

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
Tiktok didn't exist when people were told to put their phone in microwaves to fast charge them. Stupid people will always exist.

I'm sure you can actually. It's just not sold on shelves in a big store, but people sell food that has not been checked by a governing body everywhere. You think street food in S. Korea is regulated? Or farmer's markets?

If you are a business you are subject to inspection by health departments and in some places (probably not Florida) you need to register and have an inspection before selling to the public.

Florida in fact made it easier and removed safety standards. You can have $250,000 in sales before you are considered a real food business.
shortcircuit.org

Selling Homemade Food in Florida - Institute for Justice

Selling homemade food is relatively easy in Florida, thanks to a series of legislative reforms. The first big change came in 2011, when lawmakers expanded […]

But in your specific point about South Korea all street food businesses are regulated and must meet safety and hygene standards. You think South Korea lets such a large sector be run with no oversight.

Sangral