• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I see a lot of fans for a variety of ips clamoring for resurrection of the IP, remakes, and just plain ports. Pilot wings, however, is a odd ball. Sometimes there is a game, sometimes there isn't, but I never saw anyone clamoring about anything for this franchise. Are fans simply satisfied with what they have?

rustymonk

Oct 28, 2017
I think it lacks the cohesive and consistent world and characters of other franchises, so there's a lot less fandom. It's definitely an odd one out among nintendo franchises.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
It will be back in a spectacular way once Nintendo finds a reliable way to do VR without motion sickness and other current issues. I'd be willing to bet on this.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Fans - much like Wave Race fans - have probably also come to the realisation that a sequel is pretty much off the cards, so just accept it. :/

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
It was a neat game on SNES and made sense to have a return on n64 because of 3D and with the Wii and motion stuff but not sure what the reason would be for its return. There are better alternatives out there.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its a great series that i wish nintendo gave more love. That being said im playing ultrawings vr on oculus quest and it feels like an Adequate replacement. I think vr is the future of pilot wings, could see nintendo doing something neat with labo vr and that series

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I assume that the series doesn't really have a reason to exist anymore in Nintendo's eyes. I agree with the people that think it could get a shot if they ever properly attempt VR though.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
I would love it if they brought the style of 64 back
pilotwings-64-game-art.900x.jpg

For early cg these characters are charming as fuck. Love the series and would love more but like, it's on the shelf with Wave Race 64/1080 etc

StrikeJP

Oct 31, 2017
I think it lacks the cohesive and consistent world and characters of other franchises, so there's a lot less fandom. It's definitely an odd one out among nintendo franchises.

Yep. They should have leaned hard into those N64 character designs for sequels.

2267074-pw64pilots.png

One of these characters could have been in Smash by now.

That being said, I do love Pilotwings.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
As a HUGE Wave Race AND Pilotwings fan I'm suffering, of course.

Pilotwings would fill a niche, absolutely. Chill, non-combat arcade flight sims basically dont' exist. I'm super stoked for the upcoming MS Flight SIm, but this is something that no other franchise can do.

The 3DS game was actually great, just so lacking in content. One small island was all. If only that game had like 6 worlds I could go back to playing that, but the island bores me.

WE NEED PILOTWINGS. CAn't they just throw the budget of, like, one Kirby 2D platformer at this thing and give us some chil-out flying????

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
It was a neat game on SNES and made sense to have a return on n64 because of 3D and with the Wii and motion stuff but not sure what the reason would be for its return. There are better alternatives out there.

Wii? There's no Pilotwings for the Wii, i think you're thinking about Pilotwings Resort on the 3DS

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Best game on N64 imo. God I love Pilotwings and would happily buy another Switch if they brought out a new game.

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
I adored Pilotwings 64 and returned to it quite recently. Resort was also brilliant; the 3D suited that game perfectly and I enjoyed the Wii Sports aesthetics too.

Back in the Xbox 360 days I put Pilotwings 64's soundtrack on a USB stick and played the Gyrocopter theme while flying the helicopter under bridges in GTA IV. A nice type.

I'd settle for a 60fps refresh of 64 with a few new missions but I'd love a new game with a batch of small to large environments and similar mission structure to before as well as plenty of reward for gentle exploration.

If we could create our own little missions, setting rings to hit, landing points, targets etc, then pose them as challenges to friends it would be perfect.

I do agree that it'll be when Nintendo has a VR solution that we'll most likely see a sequel though.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Pilotwings is always a glorified launch tech demo so I expect to see it again once they can think of something cool to do with it on new hardware. Non-Labo VR is probably its next opportunity.

That said, anyone absolutely clamoring for more Pilotwings should check out Pilot Sports on Switch. The music and visuals don't hold a candle to Nintendo's offerings but in terms of gameplay it's a straight up Pilotwings clone with light plane, jet pack, hang gliding, and sky diving events.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Pilot Wings
Star Fox
Wave Race

are hardware demo games for Nintendo. They don't consider the "flagship" franchises. Which sucks for their fans. I really enjoy them but I don't expect any new entry unless nintendo wants to showcase a new tech.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'd be all on board for a Pilotwings 64 port, I've still somehow never played that one

I dunno what an independent Pilotwings could offer that couldn't slot into a greater collection, though. Basically a Wii Sports Resort sequel without the motion controls.

Bring back whoever composed Pilotwings Resort too

ChatonPute

Oct 25, 2017
Want to play modern Pilotwings alongside 1080 Snowboarding? play Steep, game is much fun.

That's very true.
I did find what I loved in 1080 (sensations of really riding in the snow in peace, without too much UI or agressive opponents)
And oddly enough I also found what I loved in Pilotwings which is roaming around descovering and making my own challenges (trying to get past a small bridge, making my own race, etc..)

The paraglider wasn't great, but the wingsuit, snow and ski are fantastic
. I hope we get a sequel with more sports

Last edited:

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I love pilotwings but even I can admit the game obviously serves as a tech demo that gets polished into a product. If there's new tech that justifies it we might see another.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the SNES original, but Pilotwings Resort only kept me engaged for about 2 hours according to my 3DS gameplay log. I remember there just... not being that much there.

Agreed that those N64 character designs have a ton of charm for early CG characters. Also a surprisingly diverse cast for a game from the 90s!

Cogg

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Pilotwings 64 is were my love begins and ends for the series. It's just feels like a time and place series tbh. at most its kinda a nice launch title that can flex hardware and that's about it. That music in PW64 is fire though

Jan 4, 2018
Pilotwings is in the same state as F-Zero, 1080, Wave Race, Advance Wars, Mario Golf, Mario Strikers, Eternal Darkness and maybe even Starfox... That's sad.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I would love it if they brought the style of 64 back
pilotwings-64-game-art.900x.jpg

For early cg these characters are charming as fuck. Love the series and would love more but like, it's on the shelf with Wave Race 64/1080 etc
I agree. Middle dude was even an OG mascot for Nintendo Power. His name is Nester. He has a legacy. Pilotwings is a perfect game to have him in it. They killed his dreams, and his career with the 3DS version.

edit - pilotwings dude is actually named Lark. Which is fitting, because it's clearly Nester. Maybe he went into witness protection and started a new life, only to get drafted to showcase his aerial acrobatics

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
It's one of my favorite series of all time, largely due to the N64 version. Sadly Nintendo has abandoned it like they have so many of their great franchises. I'm not holding my breath.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Love it but I've got that spiritual sequel game in vr. uhhhh... O right. Ultrawings.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
The first two games are among my favorites for their respective platforms and I still love playing them today.

I want a new game so bad, but I don't know that it will ever happen...

wiiucollector

Aug 5, 2018
Germany
Just let us fly through Breath of the Wild, AC islands, MK tracks and other Switch games. It would draw in new fans of those titles and perhaps inspire new ideas too.

killuglypop

Jan 9, 2020
Always down for more, 64 is still so playable. VR is the next step if they do bring it back. I miss these kind of games

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I played the heck out of Pilotwings Resort! I love how they made user of the Wii Sports island.

We mustn't forget the Pilotwings style activities in Wii Fit Plus (I played hundreds of hours so I became good at this chicken game).

Jackano

Oct 27, 2017
If one day Nintendo goes to VR headsets, I can't think of a better IP than PilotWings. Could be one of the biggest franchise comeback thanks to that.
I see no need to make another game without this right now.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
It's one of those series Nintendo had inspiration for a long time ago, and that inspiration has petered out.

That said, never say never. They made an Excitebike sequel 15 years after the original. All it takes is for someone at Nintendo to come up with the idea for a flying game, and for Miyamoto to hear the pitch and say, "You could make that a Pilotwings game!"

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
It was always more of a technology demo.

Maybe if Nintendo went full VR sometime in the future, it'd make sense to bring it back. It's perfect for that.

Ultrawings in VR is basically Pilotwings and it's brilliant.

I'd rather they bring back Waverace or even F-zero, though.