• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
ZWXIoBM.png

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire |OT| - By Anno

MetaCritic - 90
OpenCritic - 90

Reviews:
No nostalgia: Pillars of Eternity 2 breaks new ground with its pirate setting, naval battles and tremendous freedom for the player.
Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire is a sequel that surpasses the original in nearly every way, and is an RPG that should not be missed.
The isometric RPG has come a long way since the first Pillars of Eternity helped to usher in a resurgence for the genre in 2015. Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire hews closer to the traditions than it needs to, and some of the new concepts like ship battles simply aren't as robust as they could be. But stellar narrative structure and writing and an interesting central threat help this sequel maintain interest across the dozens of hours it takes to enjoy a robust playthrough. We also bear witness to a studio that is still at the top of its game in crafting memorable fantasy adventures.
Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire not only keeps pace with its contemporaries, but brings its own vitality and character that sets it apart from a genre that has been feeling a bit crowded of late.
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire improves upon the Pillars of Eternity formula in nearly every way, creating an RPG loaded with both strong combat and important, character-defining choices that frequently have an impact on your numerous and deep side-story adventures. A refreshingly different island setting makes it feel dramatically distinct, though travel can be laborious because of unavoidable and repetitive nautical encounters. From a long list of quality-of-life upgrades to a new and impressive attention on companions and their relationships and an astonishing commitment to immersive storytelling and roleplaying, this sequel takes a strong step forward past its predecessor and presents exciting possibilities for the genre going forward.
I wish PoE2 had had more to say, more it wanted to express. I think that would have covered over a multitude of its other sins. Half-ideas about colonialism mixed with exploitation of natural resources by trading companies don't really deliver the goods here. (That is the best joke.) As it is, despite having spent dozens of hours playing this, I've always felt at arm's length.
In Tyranny, evil wins because good is dumb. In Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, good is too busy plotting and scheming to realize what the right thing is to do — whether in the halls of the gods or the dens, warrens, and courts of the kith. It's at its best when you're in these conversations, making choices like you're in a Choose Your Own Adventure novel, drinking in the results and reckoning with each decision you make.

Even when you're mocking the gods.
A massive, bountiful RPG with richly descriptive writing, a well-realised setting, and deep tactical combat.
If you're looking for the next, and perhaps greatest, grand cRPG; if you're aching for an epic single player adventure; if you're seeking a setting outside the norm; if you're hoping for a story that takes you in and hangs on, Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire fills the bill.
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire has taken Obsidian's formula of success and brought it to the new heights. Complex and life-like fully narrated companions, wonderfully deep systems, epic story involving gods and mortals and the atmospheric soundtracks will swipe you off your feet right into the world of Eora.
It's always refreshing to see an RPG try something new. Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire deftly blends classic RPG fundamentals with more intriguing pirate-themed gameplay. If you enjoy RPGs, you'll almost certainly want to give Deadfire a shot.
It's an extraordinary game. One that you'll feel faintly lost in at first, while its many systems permeate your grey matter. But all the while its story unfolds and reveals new wrinkles, the sense of place growing deeper. The mechanics underpinning everything in Pillars II have shifted marginally towards accessibility, but that still leaves a huge amount of room for brutal challenge levels to its combat - and, crucially, it's scalable enough that you can whack down the challenge, ignore your party composition, leave the pause key unpressed, and enjoy the adventure. That's what this is, in a very real sense: an adventure.
The pirate-themed sequel to Obsidian's 2015 fantasy RPG (which was itself a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate) doesn't have the biggest world map ever or anything like that, but its islands teem with adventures both large and small. Over the past week, I've lost myself in the game, getting embroiled in countless factional squabbles, chatting up all sorts of colorful NPCs, and trying desperately to win the heart of a giant woman by feeding sharks to her bird.

Last edited:

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I am always very interested and terrified of cRPG's, it's one hell of a time consumer. Where do people find the time and patience?

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I rated it a Buy for ACG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd2SJG2d3UU

I adored the gameplay changes, so many cool ways to do things and absolutely a blast. Wasn't in love with the story though nor most of the characters. That is probably a reflection of the way its told more than anything.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/pillars-of-eternity-2-deadfire-review

I gave it a 4.5

It's still an Obsidian game, so all the quests tend to follow the Obsidian Formula™, the relationships aren't great, stuff like that, but...

I mean

I liked this shit so much that even though I've been dealing with some severe fatigue issues lately, I had a 15+ and 12+ hour game session on this thing. I just did not want to stop playing and only ever stopped when hitting total exhaustion.

I am always very interested and terrified of cRPG's, it's one hell of a time consumer. Where do people find the time and patience?

It's only about 32 hours long. I did around 90% of all the content I could find in the game, including like a dozen+ pirate bounties.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017

I gave it a 4.5

It's still an Obsidian game, so all the quests tend to follow the Obsidian Formula™, the relationships aren't great, stuff like that, but...

I mean

I liked this shit so much that even though I've been dealing with some severe fatigue issues lately, I had a 15+ and 12+ hour game session on this thing. I just did not want to stop playing and only ever stopped when hitting total exhaustion.

It's only about 32 hours long. I did around 90% of all the content I could find in the game, including like a dozen+ pirate bounties.

Oh, that's not too bad! Good to know, thanks!

Steezus

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
RPS review in progress is very mixed.

If you play for the tight stories, propelled down a main quest by an urge to save the day, torn away to side quests because of the personalities of your adored gang, then PoE1 met your needs splendidly. If, however, you prefer to amble, to get lost down a quest line completely separate to the main reason you're there, to get embroiled in the politics and matters of new communities and peoples, to pick and choose and just occasionally get back to the main quest as and when, the PoE2 has this in spades.

That part of their review just makes is sound more like Baldur's Gate 2, which is extremely good.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
32 hours seems very short. That's basically Tyranny level. Does it have the same amount of choices and consequences as Tyranny?

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
32 hours is most likely the main story and some small amounts of content. There is some pretty heady side content in the game.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
not sure what game John Walker played but it's definitely not Pillars 1

As a rule I try not to complain about reviewers. But I make an exception for John Walker. His reviews read like descriptions of the world's most boring psilocybin trips except he ascribes his mood swings to the game instead of the mushrooms.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Only recently I learned the team that created New Vegas made this game.

For that alone I'm interested in this and past projects I missed.

The reviews are glowing but I feel most of their explanations are superficial. Looking forward to a video review.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Have been really looking forward to this, so I'm glad to see folks are enjoying it. Grats to Josh Sawyer and the rest of the team.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
You scared me lmao
I thought it was a 4.5/10 xD

Haha, nah, USGamer does a 5-point system. If you transpose it to a 10-point scale, Metacritic will argue that 4/5 is 80/100, even though it's actually a 90/100 (a 5-point system is really just cutting off the bottom 5 points of a 10-point scale).

Oh, that's not too bad! Good to know, thanks!

A 4.5 is effectively a 90. I'd say that's better than "not too bad."

32 hours is most likely the main story and some small amounts of content. There is some pretty heady side content in the game.

Sorry, that's with almost all the side content in the game. I went through every map and visited every island. The only things I didn't complete at the end were a couple faction quests, a bounty chain (they make up probably half the missions in the game and there are only two types of bounties), and like... 2 other bounties. There was only one location in the game I didn't spend a lot of time in (the market district of the big city) that might have given me a few more quests, but when I did explore it, I didn't find anything.

The only way the game would be a lot longer is if you actually listened to all the dialogue. I just read it all.

32 hours seems very short. That's basically Tyranny level. Does it have the same amount of choices and consequences as Tyranny?

I haven't played much Tyranny, but Tyranny would do stuff like leave ENTIRE TOWNS DESTROYED AND UNINHABITABLE based on choices in character creation and I don't think PoE2 does anything on that scale. But I only played it once, so maybe it's huge.

The choice and consequence is pretty standard for an Obsidian game. You'll have a ton of fairly linear quests that everyone will gloss over, and then you'll have a few more complex things (kinda like how New Vegas) and of course, you can kill anyone.

Most of the actual choice and consequence is just "did you pass a skill check here?" not "can I sneak into this guy's house at night/what if I sweet talk someone into letting me in/could I kidnap a diplomat, steal their papers, and pretend to be someone else?" type creativity.

It's kinda like New Vegas in that there are a lot of ways to ~define~ your character through dialogue, but people pretend that "where's the beef" is indicative of the entire game when it's really the only quest that's super complex.

What I liked about the game was how I was able to roleplay a character growing gradually more impatient and sassy with everyone until I finally snapped and murdered the fuck out of ~everything~ that got in my way. A lot of other games just let you be one kind of person: good or bad. There's more nuance here.

Buuuuuut... like... yeah, it's not SUPER COMPLEX RPG or anything. It's very very very much an Obsidian game, with all the advantage and disadvantages that entails.

Only recently I learned the team that created New Vegas made this game.

For that alone I'm interested in this and past projects I missed.

The reviews are glowing but I feel most of their explanations are superficial. Looking forward to a video review.

I fuckin loved this game despite my complaints about Obsidian's quest design. Would highly recommend getting into it.

Tyranny, which I'm playing now, feels 'cheaper' but way way way deeper in terms of choice and consequence.

Last edited:

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I reviewed it here
https://www.rpgsite.net/review/7139-pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire-review

I thought it was really great. Obviously, my fuller thoughts are in the full text but here's my stream of thoughts after finishing it this weekend. All just my current opinions:

+ I love how deliberately it leans into the whole pirate aesthetic. It gives the game kinda an identity that the first lacked in a way.
+ The game is a joy to play. All of the mechanics tie together in a very tidy fashion that's incredibly satisfying. From gear to skills to the party assisting on passive abilities to learning a new tidbit about a quest you undertook or watching as different questlines coalesce into a single goal before diverging again. And I'm omitting lots of little neat things like Soulbound gear, multiclassing, sidekick characters. Nothing really feels extraneous which is quite a feat considering how much there is.
+ The callbacks to Pillars 1 are done in a way that walks the line pretty deftly. They are meaningful and numerous enough to feel impactful without drowning out the new location or making me wish I had played it more recently.
+ I love the tooltip mouseover brought over from Tyranny. It's a bigger boon than it seems on paper. Being able to slowly piece together characters and histories and allows the narrative to unfold in a way while avoiding "my father, the king" sort of exposition.
+/- Companion stuff is pretty bog standard. Each has a quest, they might give you something at the end if you're nice enough to them. Serafens gives a really nice hat. You can bang. It's not bad, necessarily, just kinda well traveled at this point. Their passive dialogue and VAs are general writing are great though.
- The factions are a little bog standard as well. One will want you to free slaves, another not so much. One will want you to restore an old temple, another destroy it. Etc.
- The UI was a bit buggy for me. A few times I had to double or triple click to get a spell or action to properly engage. My game crashed twice in ~45 hours.

There's also cool little level of detail things like the triumph flags you gather from ships you board and take over showing up on yours when you dock it in the harbor. Neat stuff.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oct 26, 2017
Divinity: Original Sin 2 delivered
Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire delivered.

Wasteland 3 in 2019 has to deliver as well.

Damn, CRPGs are just too good.

TwoCoins

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Houston Tx
I want to play this but, i think it would be perfect for Switch on the go. Debating on getting this now or later? When are the console versions suppose to release? is playing the last one necessary? I mean, i played half of it and my save got wiped or corrupted so i did not finish it... was enjoying it but had no interest from starting over...i remember that blonde NPC character tho.

And i'm still waiting on W3... W2 was a blast.

Oct 26, 2017
Inxiles efforts have been rather disappointing compared to the others imo

Although i still backed W3 nonetheless lol

I backed Wasteland 2, Torment and Wasteland 3.

Wasteland 2 was good, not good like PoE or Divinity: OS, but still an enjoyable game.
I didn't like Torment beta and i sold my KS key, i was so disappointed :(

Wasteland 3 HAS to be good.

OP
OP
Enduin

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I want to play this but, i think it would be perfect for Switch on the go. Debating on getting this now or later? When are the console versions suppose to release?

And i'm still waiting on W3... W2 was a blast.
Console versions are set for Holiday season this year. Likely at or shortly after the last DLC expansion launches.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017

I gave it a 4.5

I mean

Just to clarify, by 'relationships' are you referring specifically to romantic stuff, or character relationships more generally? 'Cause, while Obsidian have never really done well with romance in my experience - heck, most of the time, they don't even try - they have written some of my very favourite non-romantic character relationships in gaming--take the dynamic between the Exile and most of their companions - Kreia in particular - in KotOR II, for instance.

Paches

Oct 25, 2017
Locked in purchase anyways since announcement, but nice to see the good scores. Looking forward to getting home tonight and playing.

Chacranajxy

Oct 29, 2017
I'm pretty damn excited for this -- I loved the first game. Waiting a bit to see how polished it is at launch. IIRC, the first game was in pretty good shape when it came out, but you never know.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Haha, nah, USGamer does a 5-point system. If you transpose it to a 10-point scale, Metacritic will argue that 4/5 is 80/100, even though it's actually a 90/100 (a 5-point system is really just cutting off the bottom 5 points of a 10-point scale).

A 4.5 is effectively a 90. I'd say that's better than "not too bad."

Sorry, that reply was directed at the game's length!

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, that reply was directed at the game's length!

Ahhhh, okay.

Just to clarify, by 'relationships' are you referring specifically to romantic stuff, or character relationships more generally? 'Cause, while Obsidian have never really done well with romance in my experience - heck, most of the time, they don't even try - they have written some of my very favourite non-romantic character relationships in gaming--take the dynamic between the Exile and most of their companions - Kreia in particular - in KotOR II, for instance.

I would not consider this game to have particularly great character relationships except maybe Eder. Obsidian might occasionally be quirkier than other major RPG studios, but with POE2 they're not doing anything that stands out to me as like... wow, amazing compansionship, 10/10 would never remove from party. They're okay.

I think part of this is because Obsidian likes to shit words everywhere, often at the expense of drama. They lean very very very hard on the tabletop fantasy thing and never really push the dramatic elements of their narratives in ways that would please me.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Ahhhh, okay.

I would not consider this game to have particularly great character relationships except maybe Eder. Obsidian might occasionally be quirkier than other major RPG studios, but with POE2 they're not doing anything that stands out to me as like... wow, amazing compansionship, 10/10 would never remove from party. They're okay.

I think part of this is because Obsidian likes to shit words everywhere, often at the expense of drama. They lean very very very hard on the tabletop fantasy thing and never really push the dramatic elements of their narratives in ways that would please me.

Ah, thanks for the clarification! Suppose I'll have to wait until I can play it to find out how it lands for me--I've never really had an issue with Obsidian's love of verbose writing, and their creaky, often outright broken 'these characters talk to these other characters at these set moments' scenes - all the stuff on the Ebon Hawk in, again, KotOR II (it's my favourite game so I refer back it probably too much) - never blunt the drama for me, even though they probably should.

Oct 26, 2017
Whattt? Thats crazy i only played around 25 hours of pillars 1, but i'd only just gotten to the first city? Compared to divinity 2 (over 100 hours first playthrough) its crazy this game is that short?

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Is it required to play the first one? for story purposes. Really tempted to play this. not sure whether to jump in or play the firs one.