• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
The game is different enough from the first that I don't know that tutorial videos will really be helpful, and I don't think any exist for Deadfire yet. There are what look like very helpful tutorial bits in game, though, so just pay close attention to those.

As for gameplay I would say to go into the gameplay options and set some of the auto-pause selections. At the very least choose stuff like trap sighted, enemy sighted, low-health, basically whatever sounds useful. The combat is a lot about pausing, assessing the situation, issuing orders and unpausing, so having the game help you with that is good. Also use the combat speed slider at the bottom of the interface to slow down combat a bit and make it more parsable until you get a good grasp on what's happening.

For a character I would probably keep them to a single-class rather than messing with multiclassing right away.

Ah i had no idea about the pausing... i was wondering why some videos/streams i saw had the game pausing every "turn" or what seemed like a "turn" in battles while others made it appear more like an action RPG. I'll def set up auto-pause for those situations (and likely more lol).

We have literally NO idea what classes do what and the like so we're going to start off small. Any characters we should stay away from? How do the companions (party members right?) work... are they all auto-assigned class/skill wise or do we get to "make" them as well when we pick them up?

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Pre-launch bug advisory from Josh over on SA: if you did the Right Thing and adopted the orlan baby in Twin Elms but didn't actually finish the quest she won't load in if you import the save game. You can get around this by recreating the save using the save state manager. The bug will be fixed in an early patch but not one that will be available at launch.
Hmm....wonder about getting Vela after you complete the quest.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
How do the companions (party members right?) work... are they all auto-assigned class/skill wise or do we get to "make" them as well when we pick them up?

When you recruit them you get a choice of three classes/multiclasses. They'll have initial skills already set up. Beyond that you can have them level up automatically or do it manually, there's something in the options for that.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
This looks cool but that gameplay change to casters seems really awful. With a 2 spell per level limit they will run out of juice very quickly in a long, intense fight. Seems like a really bad change to me and a bit of a passion-killer.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
12 hours exactly until I can play the game. Work is going to take forever today, I just know it. And I'll probably have my fastest workout and run session ever when I get home afterwards.

This looks cool but that gameplay change to casters seems really awful. With a 2 spell per level limit they will run out of juice very quickly in a long, intense fight. Seems like a really bad change to me and a bit of a passion-killer.
Empower will replenish some of your uses and there's probably some other stuff. Haven't messed with Wizards much. But never found it to be an issue in the Beta which had some pretty long and tough fights.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Ah i had no idea about the pausing... i was wondering why some videos/streams i saw had the game pausing every "turn" or what seemed like a "turn" in battles while others made it appear more like an action RPG. I'll def set up auto-pause for those situations (and likely more lol).

We have literally NO idea what classes do what and the like so we're going to start off small. Any characters we should stay away from? How do the companions (party members right?) work... are they all auto-assigned class/skill wise or do we get to "make" them as well when we pick them up?

If you want to be safe stick with classes that are more survivable and straight forward in their power. A Paladin is a generally good choice. Fighters and Chanters and Rangers too.

You get to choose some of how companions work. When you recruit one you'll get the chance to choose from one of three classes and that's what they will be. For the very first companion, Eder, I would choose Fighter. That'll give you a good early stable character to help you. If you don't go and uncheck "auto-level companions" from the options then all of them will come pre-leveled to whatever level you are. If you do uncheck that then you can level them yourself. You can always respec choices made from level 2 onwards at an inn for not a lot of money.

That's crazy! If it actually lets you edit choices from existing files that's amazing and an awesome addition.

You can't edit the save you import, sadly, but you can recreate it with one or two different choices.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
What is that? Sounds like something that would help a new player.

It's more for lore/story stuff than game mechanics. And at least what he's referencing is only for people who backed the FIG campaign. It's also available for people who buy it through Steam and GOG but only for the second and third price tier and presumably only when it actually unlocks.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to be safe stick with classes that are more survivable and straight forward in their power. A Paladin is a generally good choice. Fighters and Chanters and Rangers too.

You get to choose some of how companions work. When you recruit one you'll get the chance to choose from one of three classes and that's what they will be. For the very first companion, Eder, I would choose Fighter. That'll give you a good early stable character to help you. If you don't go and uncheck "auto-level companions" from the options then all of them will come pre-leveled to whatever level you are. If you do uncheck that then you can level them yourself. You can always respec choices made from level 2 onwards at an inn for not a lot of money.

You can't edit the save you import, sadly, but you can recreate it with one or two different choices.
Ah and the baby thing is one of the choices? The saved file I was going to use missed the quest.

Though I guess I could rewind and do it...

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
It's more for lore/story stuff than game mechanics. And at least what he's referencing is only for people who backed the FIG campaign. It's also available for people who buy it through Steam and GOG but only for the second and third price tier and presumably only when it actually unlocks.
Ahhh ok. I was hoping it was something like an old-school strat guide lol.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Ah and the baby thing is one of the choices? The saved file I was going to use missed the quest.

Though I guess I could rewind and do it...

It is one of the choices, yeah. Like it's not a huge deal or anything, but it's something fun that I think some people were looking forward to. And again you can just create a new save with that option selected rather than going back to PoE1 and redoing it all.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It is one of the choices, yeah. Like it's not a huge deal or anything, but it's something fun that I think some people were looking forward to. And again you can just create a new save with that option selected rather than going back to PoE1 and redoing it all.
Cool good to know!

I wonder what small choices you can't change are, because if that is covered, I can't imagine what stuff I must have missed haha.

TheCanisDirus

Nov 13, 2017
The first one had one, but this one doesn't. I imagine it's a lot of hard work putting one together based on how good the first one was.
From the little i know about this game it seems insanely large, deep and complex. I can imagine writing something like that would take months and months!

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which weapon proficiency would you recommend for a Chanter/Paladin? Is it a bad idea to go in melee? I was thinking about a Sword/Shield or something or maybe just a Wand and stay in the back

Corsick

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of frustrating that playing a two handed melee character sounds somewhat gimped again.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Is there still class-related dialogue? If so, I guess multi-class would get you access to both?

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Which weapon proficiency would you recommend for a Chanter/Paladin? Is it a bad idea to go in melee? I was thinking about a Sword/Shield or something or maybe just a Wand and stay in the back

Depends on your chants. You'll want to be close enough to whoever you're buffing/debuffing. As for invocations, the offensive ones are quite short ranged, so you would want to be close up to use those. Summons and supporting invocations are a bit more flexible.

Chanters as a whole can fit in a variety of positions.

OP
OP
Anno

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio

Chanter/Paladin will almost surely want to be on the front lines unless you're playing a very specific gun character with the Chanter reload song.

With all the proficiencies now being specific modals instead of just accuracy boosts I suspect the answer might be that we don't know yet what's "best". Since you're not making a Devoted I'd say probably just choose what sounds like a cool weapon combo and go with that.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
I usually never specify weapon proficiencies other than shield use because I like switching weapons for my characters.

Zareth

Oct 25, 2017

Depends on the role you want to fill. If you're looking for DPS then Dual wield seems like its the way to go since when you use flames of devotion it will proc twice whenever you use it once for each weapon. I also found that Sabre's were really good in the BETA as they have the highest base damage of all the 1her weapons.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Based on the beta anyone see isues with a Rogue Cypher? I like that class from a conceptual point of view but I'm not sure if it will actually be fun to play.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Do I need to have played the first to play this? What kind of level of improvement over the first are we expecting?
You do not need to have played the first, but doing so would certainly help and add to the experience. Major improvement over the first in virtually every area as best we can tell.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
I usually never specify weapon proficiencies other than shield use because I like switching weapons for my characters.
The weapon proficiencies are free though, you get them separately from your skill and ability points at certain levels, and you can get a bunch of them. I think Cohh had like 4 of them at lvl 10, so you can pick multiple types of weapons. They also only give you a modal skill, which itself comes with downsides, so they're often situational and possibly not worth using depending. For example a bunch of them reduce damage but add effects like reduced deflection, but they wouldn't be worth using if you want to maximize damage on that character. In this case having the right proficiency basically does nothing.

Kind of frustrating that playing a two handed melee character sounds somewhat gimped again.
Was looking into a kinda old post(february, before the back beta update I think?) and it seemed to say, at least back then, that 2H DPS was about the same as dual wield DPS. You do have to maximize accuracy though since misses are devastating when you swing once every 5seconds but it didn't seem too bad otherwise damage wise. I think it'll depend a lot on the soulbound weapons too, in PoE1 some were a lot better than others and they were generally a lot better than non soulbound weapons.

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks guys, think I'll just roll with whatever weapon looks the best, not looking to min-max anyway. Already have 3 characters I theorycrafted, I keep changing my mind about which one to play every hour lol. I was sure I'll play a Bleak Walker + Soul Blade, but don't want to go on a bad path leading to the loss of party members and bad quest endings. Though being evil for once in a game sounds really interesting.

Can't wait for the release, just 4 hours more

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Btw. are there different ship types to buy? I've seen the customization, but nothing about buying a different ship outright

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a quick recap that gives context for the save state creator? Still debating if I want to import or recreate but I'm not sure I remember the context on some of the side quest decisions.

Kinthalis

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Is there really no Obsidian merch store? In the market for a mousepad and wanted a pillars one. I guess there's always shutterfly.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
So what classes and stats is everyone likely planning?

I figure I'll be going:

Chanter (Beckoner) / Paladin (Kindwayfarers)

Might: 13
Constitution: 13
Dexterity: 3
Perception: 16
Intellect: 16
Resolve: 16

Main thing I'm still thinking is if I want to lower might or constitution to raise per/int/res further. I figure I can put on equipment for stat checks though.

Last edited:

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Was gonna work all night today due to deadlines killing me, but for the first time in my life I've been so focused on work, I literally just realized this is unlocking in 2 hours. And I forgot to preload it yesterday.

Guess I'll work for another hour or so and leave. Need to start this tonight.

Gwynbleidd17

Oct 28, 2017
Where are the reviews?? I want to fully feel the hype before delving into it tonight :(
tizfNnT.jpg

/s