• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 5, 2017
No you will not be able to explore all of the depths now. They are intended to be done throughout the entire game. The lower levels include some of the highest level and hardest enemies in the game.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
Hmm I think I found another bug. Is anyone else not getting injuries when a character gets knocked down? My characters have been knocked down multiple times never got any injuries, aren't they supposed to?

EDIT: Yeap tested on the pc version, you do get injuries normally while on the switch you don't, wonder if it's intentional.

Last edited:

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm I think I found another bug. Is anyone else not getting injuries when a character gets knocked down? My characters have been knocked down multiple times never got any injuries, aren't they supposed to?

EDIT: Yeap tested on the pc version, you do get injuries normally while on the switch you don't, wonder if it's intentional.
Isn't that a difficulty setting? No Knockout Injuries.

Rakuyo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Just wanted to say that i'm in the middle of act 2 at the moment on Switch and have so much fun. It feels so good to have such an epic journey with you all the time and I try to play every free minute I can afford. I probably would never finish this game if I couldn't play in handheld mode.
The loading times are annoying to be honest but orherwise it's a really good game.

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra

First time playing on switch but maybe that is something that difficulty affects? I am really enjoying this but a nice patch would make it pretty perfect.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Played for an hour on the Switch.

I'm literally shocked because of how good it looks. This artstyle in native resolution, specially in handheld mode, looks insane. So detailed and sharp, it's extremely impressive. They need to keep this for the second game at all cost. I think sub native res would ruin so much about the graphics, I couldn't get myself to play it on the Switch then, this hour alone completely spoiled me.

Does anyone know how much more demanding the second game on the PC is and if it changed much graphically?

Only real critique so far is the stupid box at the lower right of the screen. How could this make it into the final game with real people playtesting the game? Not only is the text too big for this box and the box also too small, the complete text turns into hieroglyphics every few minutes for no reason and gets completely broken.
I also have no idea how to access it. It seems like it has a scroll bar and tabs but nothing works.
Just weird.

Last edited:

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Does anyone know how much more demanding the second game on the PC is and if it changed much graphically?
Deadfire is fair bit more demanding on PC than PoE, but it's substantially better looking. Much much better character models, animations and lighting. It's amazingly gorgeous. Loading times are a lot faster too. A few major hubs though can have a pretty big hit performance wise though regardless of hardware.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
Really enjoying this, I really hope the sequel makes it to Switch too. As a lot of other people are saying there's no way I would have time to play this if it wasn't on a handheld.

I've noticed my played time is completely off, it seems if you rest the switch with the game open it counts towards time played. I'm on 96 hours or so already..

Just did the compass side quest and I think I'm about to do the last side quest I have in act 1. Should I be paying to hire party members or just recruiting people I meet? I only have Alotha at the moment and it feels like I need some more. I can't think of anyone I've missed except one guy who gave the Raedric's hold quest and then disappeared.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Really enjoying this, I really hope the sequel makes it to Switch too. As a lot of other people are saying there's no way I would have time to play this if it wasn't on a handheld.

I've noticed my played time is completely off, it seems if you rest the switch with the game open it counts towards time played. I'm on 96 hours or so already..

Just did the compass side quest and I think I'm about to do the last side quest I have in act 1. Should I be paying to hire party members or just recruiting people I meet? I only have Alotha at the moment and it feels like I need some more. I can't think of anyone I've missed except one guy who gave the Raedric's hold quest and then disappeared.

There's another guy in Gilded Vale by the tree. And another in the middle of Magran's Fork.

Also if you've not been to Caed Nua yet, you can pick someone up there.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Default length of a chanter's skeleton summon invocation is 12 seconds, apparently.
Oh thanks!
Yeah they don't last very long because they're generally so powerful. For the first third of the game the phantom summon is at least as good as adding another character to your party temporarily.
Well there were at least three skeletons so yeah probably overpowered.

Don't want to do anything today but play, aaaah

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Oh thanks!
Well there were at least three skeletons so yeah probably overpowered.

Don't want to do anything today but play, aaaah

The skeletons aren't particularly damaging but it's three more bodies to tank reasonably well. Also if you're wizard is running Combusting Wounds then anything that attacks quickly or in large numbers is a solid DPS boost.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The skeletons aren't particularly damaging but it's three more bodies to tank reasonably well. Also if you're wizard is running Combusting Wounds then anything that attacks quickly or in large numbers is a solid DPS boost.
I haven't been using my Grimoire that much because of the sad casting counts, just Arcane Assault. Well, I got the level 2 blind spell, mirror image, and then I think one's corrosion or something. The chanter has the summon, I'll use that strategically because he can only cast one spell.

Dec 5, 2017
Deadfire is fair bit more demanding on PC than PoE, but it's substantially better looking. Much much better character models, animations and lighting. It's amazingly gorgeous. Loading times are a lot faster too. A few major hubs though can have a pretty big hit performance wise though regardless of hardware.

Yeah even on a skylake i7 and a gtx 1080 in the major city I get framerate dips in poe2.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yeah even on a skylake i7 and a gtx 1080 in the major city I get framerate dips in poe2.
Yeah I have a i7 5820 and 1080ti, most of it's good, some of it not so much. It's mostly a CPU issue. There are some workaround to boost performance. Special K in particular with altering the CPU threads and what not https://steamcommunity.com/app/560130/discussions/0/2572002906843374108/

With that I get a very solid 60fps 90% of the time but yeah Neketaka, mostly Queen's Berth, still can get pretty rough. Along with a couple other places.

Really curious to see how things go on Switch and the other consoles. I think the dramatically improved lighting system resulted in some performance issues as all those shadows and everything off pretty much every object really adds up. Especially in non-combat areas where the entire map is revealed the whole time.

Dec 5, 2017
Yeah I have a Gsync monitor so it's never really an issue but I imagine it will lead to some cutbacks for the console ports maybe. The game looks real nice though.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Well have not played a game like this in a while..... So I am wondering what type of character and party builds there are.

It's pretty wide open. You can play melee tank wizards and priests, DPS fighters, shapeshifting focused melee druids...lots of stuff. It's basically impossible to create and unworkable build and you get lots of NPC friends to help round out whatever you go with for your own character.

stizz

Banned
Apr 12, 2019
Okay thanks for the information... Was looking at some guide and it confused me.... Will try another.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
By the way, I have this quest to explore the endless depths, is it possible for me to complete this now?

The Endless Paths of Od Nua is largely my favorite part of the game. A really great dungeon with surprises and great challenges within. It is designed for you to keep chipping away at it as you progress though. Save it all for the endgame and the majority of it will be a cakewalk. Push through it early and you will hit a point where you will know its time to come back(and the rewards may make the story progression a bit too easy with all the xp and items you gain).

So its a bit tough to recommend when to visit, but players should. Plus it has some ties to the sequel.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Endless Paths of Od Nua is largely my favorite part of the game. A really great dungeon with surprises and great challenges within. It is designed for you to keep chipping away at it as you progress though. Save it all for the endgame and the majority of it will be a cakewalk. Push through it early and you will hit a point where you will know its time to come back(and the rewards may make the story progression a bit too easy with all the xp and items you gain).

So its a bit tough to recommend when to visit, but players should. Plus it has some ties to the sequel.
Oh, awesome, I guess I'll see how deep I can go right now, thanks!

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread inspired me to pick the game up on PC. Got the complete edition for ÂŁ9.99 through CDkeys and I think RTWP is finally, finally clicking with me.

Whenever I played infinity games as a kid, I likely had everything on easiest and just dragged all my party to attack an enemy at a time.

But tried 3 or 4 times to get into Deadfire and just didn't. But I think the setting was holding me back. The archipelago stuff doesn't appeal to me at all, or just the flavour of the world. But PoE1 always looked way better to me. And as it happens, I'm getting on so much better with it now.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
The porting studio (Versus Evil) has been quiet on Discord (where they are really getting reamed by irritated customers) but have been responding to people on Twitter.

Looks like they are trying to get the patch out as quickly as possible. I really hope I see something soon, I'm starting to get crashes in docked mode. Someone on the discord mentioned that when they fully upgraded the stronghold they couldn't actually load into it without it crashing.

Rakuyo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I hope we get a patch soon. Can't progress a quest because I can't move any longer after entering a specific house :(
I love the game but this and the random crashes are really annoying.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
So, word on the street is that this game is in very rough conditions. Graphical glitches, text glitches, equipment doesn't work, skills doesn't work, crashes, etc etc.

How terribly disappointing :/

Edit: and just above me Rakuyo is complaining about a quest impending glitch... and jred250 too, I didn't even read the thread before I posted, hahah, damn.

ElGoldur

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I am on switch and the frequent text glitches and random crashes are really annoying. I am not sure if I will continue to play this game. The load times dont help either.
I also think I came across a bug on the "the bronze beneath the lake" quest :
I am in the Stormwall Gorge cave. I am supposed to talk with two different stone heads. But I dont get the "prompt action" on one of the heads. So, I am not able to talk with both heads

aerobinson

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
If the update doesn't fix the abilities bug then I'm still keeping this on the back burner. Things get too hairy to just rely on swords and staves.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
In the latest news regarding this cursed port:

Will I ever get to play this game without living in constant fear of crashes? The world waits with bated breath.

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you saw the post above you?

"We might have the first patch ready by the time the game is a month old" isn't exactly a great thing to hear when a port is this busted. We're talking equipment not working, garbled text, skills not working, areas that crash regularly... Hard to blame someone for wanting out and maybe rebuying later on sale, though I doubt Nintendo would refund it at this point. Hopefully PoE2 is a better port than this.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
"We might have the first patch ready by the time the game is a month old" isn't exactly a great thing to hear when a port is this busted. We're talking equipment not working, garbled text, skills not working, areas that crash regularly... Hard to blame someone for wanting out and maybe rebuying later on sale, though I doubt Nintendo would refund it at this point. Hopefully PoE2 is a better port than this.

Very disappointed with this port. I'm glad they released the first patch and will still work on remaining issues, but because of the ridiculous state this game shipped, I will be waiting a while when POE2 comes out. Fool me once...

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
Months later and we are close to having a functional game. What a spectacular bungling of this port by Grip Digital.