• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Fantastic. Not a fan of RTwP but since that's kinda the whole point of this series it would be unreasonable to ask them not to do it. A turn-based option, assuming it's done well, is a great addition.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer turn-based, but I'm still a bit skeptical about his this will work. If it is just an on-off switch I don't know that it's going to make the combat more engaging. Divinity's encounter design is entirely better than PoE's--so for the latter it's going to be a lot of very dry, "hit, be hit" (or, miss!) sections that feel grindy, assuming the stats involved are the same.

Hope it works out all the same. I'm glad they're offering the choice.
"would you like chocolate or vanilla ice cream?"
"How DARE you offer vanilla, I will have neither!"
The vanilla/chocolate swirl is gonna blow their minds!

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
While this was kind of leaked a while ago, it explains why the consoles versions god delayed. I guess they figured TB is a lot more approachable for Console crowd and using a controller.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
I definitely prefer RTWP but it's good to have options. My hope is that TB mode has a different flow of battle than RTWP, elevating certain skills and spells and lowering others. Might make for a whole new round of party-crafting.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Because Turn Based is the worst. Seeing the series that was explicitly sold as a throwback to Infinity Engine greatness move away from that is immensely disappointing.

I would understand this if the game was being completely redone and turn based was the only way to play it but that's not the case here. You can still play it the way you like.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
The worst. The absolute worst. This feels like a betrayal, they sold these games on the Infinity Engine nostalgia and now they're doing this.

RTwP is always better.

tenor.gif

😘

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Because Turn Based is the worst. Seeing the series that was explicitly sold as a throwback to Infinity Engine greatness move away from that is immensely disappointing.

Game adds turn based combat as an option for people who want it.
You: "I hate turn based combat! This is ruining the game!"

McDonalds offers new burger as an option for people who want it.
You: "I hate this new burger! This is ruining McDonalds!"

giphy.gif

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
While this was kind of leaked a while ago, it explains why the consoles versions god delayed. I guess they figured TB is a lot more approachable for Console crowd and using a controller.
I assume they'll still have both. And PoE2 would have worked out better than 1 due to the gambit system anyway.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I was already very interested in this but now I'm really, really excited. I really hope it turns out well!

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome news! Now I might actually buy it. LOL @ people losing their shit because now there's more options.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Well, it was always a day 1 for me on Switch, but now i am looking forward to the game even more. My daughter will play it RTwP, I'll play it turn based.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017

It's not moving away from it. Unless they announces PoE 3 with turn based only in which case you can make your argument

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I assume they'll still have both. And PoE2 would have worked out better than 1 due to the gambit system anyway.
Ohh for sure. I have no doubt RTwP will still be there, just that for consoles it's a much bigger selling point to also have TB. Even though the gambit system is superb and all you need, but that's a bit harder to market.

I'll be curious to see how this compares to DOS since everyone touts that as the best TB combat ever, yet I hate it. Just knowing how PoE combat works I actually think I could enjoy TB combat here as it shouldn't be so unbelievably slow and monotonous.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I guess if it gets the game into more people's hands I'm ok with catering a bit to these unwashed lower class masses that prefer this style of combat <3

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure it might be interesting but I can't imagine this will work out all that well unless they've just ripped the damn guts out of the game and performed a herculean task here.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
It's fair that PoE2 fans are concerned. Their only prior exposure to turn-based combat could be PoE2's ship combat, which is among the worst turn-based combat systems of all time.

pillars-of-eternity-ship-customization-combat-management-crew-navigation-naval-events-guide-re3.jpg

(Seriously, I don't know why Obsidian didn't just cut ship combat entirely. Unless they patched it, the best approach is to ram the enemy and go into regular combat.)

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
First of all, it's worth noting that Deadfire's turn-based mode is partly inspired by – and greatly resembles – the combat in Divinity: Original Sin 2.

I'M SO GLAD I HAVEN'T ACTUALLY STARTED THE GAME YET NOW. I'VE BEEN SO BUSY BUT NOW I'M JUST SO SO THANKFUL. THIS IS WONDERFUL NEWS. THANK YOU LORD JESUS!

KaiLeng

Sep 8, 2018
It's fair that PoE2 fans are concerned. Their only prior exposure to turn-based combat could be PoE2's ship combat, which is among the worst turn-based combat systems of all time.

pillars-of-eternity-ship-customization-combat-management-crew-navigation-naval-events-guide-re3.jpg

(Seriously, I don't know why Obsidian didn't just cut ship combat entirely. Unless they patched it, the best approach is to ram the enemy and go into regular combat.)

I remember reading from Sawyer that initially they DID cut it out. But then at the end of the development Urquhart insisted on including it, even in the half baked state it was. And yeah, it was awful. Don't know how good the turn based will really work here.

All the fixes for this game they did were on the mechanical side, nothing for the story, pacing,characters or the ending, which is a bit of a bummer.

Paches

Oct 25, 2017
I used to be a RTwP hardcore fanatic, but Divinity really blew me away. Glad for the option and think it is a benefit.

Sonicbug

Oct 26, 2017
The Void, MA
I've been trying to get through the first pillars game but the way the characters just lump together no matter what is a mess and was putting me off ever bothering with pillars 2. This is great news for me.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shouldn't exist in the first place.

Strongly disagree. I played and enjoyed PoE1, but I'm far more likely to give time of day to Deadfire (which I backed on Fig and have had sitting on my HDD for months) now that I have the option of using a combat system I actually enjoy. Never liked RTwP.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
In the video, Josh says that you cannot switch between the two modes once you pick at the start of a new game.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I will never ever choose turn-based over RTWP. Real-Time-With-Pause is superior and it's one of the reasons I prefer Pillars of Eternity over all the other modern western RPGs.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Fuk i guess ill start another one

Will be weird if they use the ap system for movement, many classes are positioning dependent

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
Good thing I played it already with Real Time and Pause (the best type of combat over Real Time or Turn Based).

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Not being to switch between TB and RTwP is a good sign though I'm going to wait till it's out of beta and there are more impressions before starting a new game.

Oct 29, 2017
Looks amazing, really excited to try it out. I have yet to finish the game, so I may as well re-start it turn-based.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm a bit surprised they invested the resources into this given the apparent poor sales of the game. Making the game TB is a major undertaking that would require a lot of rebalancing of skills, equipment, encounter design and more, not to mention the entire framework of TB combat. I'm still not super clear on Versus Evil's role as publisher, Paradox footed the bill and development of PoE's console version but I'm not sure it's the same kind of deal this time around. I got the impression it was more minimal and mostly marketing focused. I wonder if they're hoping for a decent boost in sales on consoles and if they'll have a noticeable marketing push for them and this new feature.