• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
https://www.pcgamesn.com/pillars-of-eternity-2/pillars-of-eternity-2-turn-based

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire players are no strangers to choice. But when you boot up the game from January 24th onwards, your first decision will come even before character creation – real-time or turn-based?

Since the inception of the series, Pillars has been firmly rooted in the wonderfully messy but deeply tactical real-time and pause paradigm of the Infinity Engine games. That wasn't a decision the dev team made, so much as a duty they fulfilled to nostalgia-driven Kickstarter backers. Now, though, Deadfire is fully playable in a new turn-based mode. It's the most fundamental and far-reaching change Obsidian has made to any of its games after release.

First of all, it's worth noting that Deadfire's turn-based mode is partly inspired by – and greatly resembles – the combat in Divinity: Original Sin 2. Larian's game became a fixture of Steam's top sellers list upon its launch in September 2017, and had sold a million copies by the end of that year. It's the kind of mainstream success Obsidian probably wouldn't mind partaking in with Pillars.

Whoa.

UPDATE -

Out now. Patch notes: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/108044-patch-notes-for-410/

Last edited:

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like they've put a lot of work into it. I'm pretty excited to check it out.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine this will be a big help for the console release. Turn based is a lot easier to deal with on a controller (even though Pillars 1 did decently with RTwP from what I played).

Window

Oct 27, 2017
This is fantastic. One of the reasons I've bounced off these new Obsidian games is due to the RtwP combat. I may actually give this another shot now.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
uu9pmDP.gif

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my. I'll have to grab this once it's a thing.

Quick edit: just saw the date, guess I'm grabbing it much sooner!

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I dunno, I'm a bit skeptical about this. Pillars 2 encounter in average is already long enough as it is, and turn-based will only make it even longer.

It seems that you can switch from real-time to turn-based anytime, so the balance in one of the two combat systems will be affected in the negative way.

mcgrem

Dec 13, 2017
Wow that sounds pretty exciting! Bummer, that I have to get through a chungus-sized backlog before I can even dream of starting Deadfire.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little wary of how this will end being balanced. Not just in terms of difficulty but pacing as well since the game is clearly designed for RTwP.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
The worst. The absolute worst. This feels like a betrayal, they sold these games on the Infinity Engine nostalgia and now they're doing this.

RTwP is always better.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
So it's not just a 1 second timer for 'turns' or w/e, but a true turn-based mode? That's incredible.

I was reluctant to believe those rumours before.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm suddenly very interested in this game. Not a fan of real time with pause

Pfantzypantz

Oct 27, 2017
Nice, I can never handle/enjoy RTwP so I'm very interested now.

I know it's almost certainly not going to happen, but if they were to do similar updates to Tyranny I'd be so in.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I dislike real time with pause, I wonder if this will slow down the game. It could make battles a chore if this isn't properly balanced.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
HYPE I've been waiting to get into pillars 2 but this is the perfect opportunity. The first game was my intro to these types of games but the one thing I didn't really like was the real time combat . I found divinity much better in that regard

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting for the Switch port to release. I like both RTWP and turn-based so i have not really a problem with it, but still seems weird to change it, especially since it's a game that harkens back to the glorious days of the infinity engine games. Maybe they thought it would suit the console audience more? There aren't that many RTWP games these days so in that regard it's a shame they are going to change it.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
The worst. The absolute worst. This feels like a betrayal, they sold these games on the Infinity Engine nostalgia and now they're doing this.

RTwP is always better.
Shouldn't exist in the first place.

They're adding this as an optional mode for people who want to enjoy PoE2 in a different way. I fail to see any logical reason why that would be a bad thing. Turn based likely won't dilute the RTwP experience.

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
Really happy to hear that. I prefer PoE's world and Divinity's combat. Will give the second Pillars a shot now. Now just bring it to consoles please

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I love the RTwP combat in the game, but this is real cool. I'm glad it will open the game up to folks who otherwise would not enjoy it, and I'm looking forward to checking it out myself.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Because Turn Based is the worst. Seeing the series that was explicitly sold as a throwback to Infinity Engine greatness move away from that is immensely disappointing.
"would you like chocolate or vanilla ice cream?"
"How DARE you offer vanilla, I will have neither!"

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Thank god, the game just improved a whole lot for me with this