• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
www.siliconera.com

Pikmin 3 Wii U Version Returns to the eShop

Pikmin 3 Wii U digital copies are back! People can once again buy the game from the eShop. It was delisted after the Switch port announcement.
It is now much easier to pick up a copy of the Pikmin 3 Wii U game. It has returned to the Nintendo eShop. It can now be purchased both on consoles and online through Nintendo's website. The current price is $19.99. [Thanks, Delisted Games and GoNintendo!]

This comes after a bit of a harrowing crisis. Back when Pikmin 3 Deluxe, an updated version of the game with new content, was announced for the Nintendo Switch, the Wii U version's eShop listing was pulled. (The option to buy a digital copy actually disappeared on August 5, 2020, the same day the Switch version was announced.)
www.nintendo.com

My Nintendo Store – Nintendo Official Site

Shop at the My Nintendo Store for exclusive Nintendo merchandise, video games in digital and physical formats, Nintendo Switch™ systems, and much more.
KlutzyEnchantingDuckbillplatypus-max-1mb.gif

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
This comes after a bit of a harrowing crisis.
Indeed 👏

God, when Nintendo delisted Pikmin 3 and its DLC from the Wii U eShop I barely ate, I barely slept, I had hallucinations, I was written anti-anxiety and blood pressure prescriptions, I had to go to therapy, I had a panic attack so intense I believed I was having a heart attack. I even played Pikmin 2 out of medical necessity.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Shouldn't have even been taken down in the first place but good.
I expect a huge bump in sales considering the levels of outcry.
Indeed 👏

God, when Nintendo delisted Pikmin 3 and its DLC from the Wii U eShop I barely ate, I barely slept, I had hallucinations, I was written anti-anxiety and blood pressure prescriptions, I had to go to therapy, I had a panic attack so intense I believed I was having a heart attack. I even played Pikmin 2 out of medical necessity.
cmon folks, no need to downplay a scummy move by Nintendo, particularly given it's becoming pretty common for them these days. People rightfully called it out as shitty, now it's corrected. A win.

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
I own the Wii U game, and I think I was missing one battle DLC pack, because I didn't like those levels as much. Glad to hear though, likely won't be buying the port unless the new content is crazy long/good, or I don't know, online vs.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
What a strange thing to do. Well, it's good to know that is still an option, the game plays wonderfully with the Wiimote so it's good to have this option in case the Deluxe controls are worse( I don't think they will, Pikmin 1-2 were amazing on the Cube).

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
The response to good news is always really muted, so I'd like to jump in and say "that's good." I hope it happened as a result of someone at Nintendo listening to the response, because that was sketchy as heck in the first place.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I heard Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is apparently still missing, though. 1:18

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Incredibly good news for the people in the venn diagram space of active WiiU users and people interested in the interior version of a several years old game.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
Jokes on you I paid 10 bucks for a physical copy.

(and may double-dip because the game is that good)

danielvdell

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Feb 12, 2019
Los Angeles
cmon folks, no need to downplay a scummy move by Nintendo, particularly given it's becoming pretty common for them these days. People rightfully called it out as shitty, now it's corrected. A win.

Agreed. Personally, I was affected by the removal as a Wii U owner who hadn't had a chance to get around to playing it or buying all the DLC. When it was delisted, I was annoyed for two reasons: my collection of Wii U games would be incomplete without the DLC and because, well... I couldn't play it on my Wii U.

Understandably, there was a lot of backlash for delisting a $20 game to encourage people to buy a $60 enhanced port, but I think the bigger issue was a game preservation one. While people could still get physical copies of Pikmin 3 for the Wii U, the removal of the DLC made it impossible to obtain for anyone who didn't already own it. The Wii U version of the game will remain a wholly unique way of playing it -- the Switch doesn't have a GamePad or Wii Remotes, meaning several gameplay features and control methods will always be locked to the Wii U.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Good to hear. It was a scummy move if it wasn't just an error on their end when putting up the Deluxe Switch version.

However, it's good to know that Nintendo could just delete access to their entire digital back catalogue to sell it all at full price and people would clap.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, what's with all the posts whining about people actually caring about this? I own a physical and digital copy already, but still thought it was a horrible precedent.

Also the Wii U version is likely to remain the best one for people who care about that. The gamepad is central to the gameplay.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Love to see a thread calling out Nintendo's anti-consumer practices being shit up by "lol Wii U didn't sell" posts.

That being said, I'll be picking up the Map Pack DLC I'm missing tonight along with a few other Wii U titles I've yet to nab. Gonna try to avoid any sudden delistings in the future.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
The response to good news is always really muted, so I'd like to jump in and say "that's good." I hope it happened as a result of someone at Nintendo listening to the response, because that was sketchy as heck in the first place.
I agree that it's good news, but still think about 3 people will buy this. Has Nintendo returned Tropical Freeze to the Wii U eShop, I wonder?

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they realized that with the DLC people wouldn't actually be saving much money getting this on Wii U, so why not? That's unlike Tropical Freeze.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I agree that it's good news, but still think about 3 people will buy this. Has Nintendo returned Tropical Freeze to the Wii U eShop, I wonder?

I mean, that fact that the Wii U has such a small userbase made it even sketchier in the first place -- it would have just been so much less effort to leave it as is for the benefit of the consumers who do use a Wii U, resulting in a loss of potential profit so minuscule Nintendo would have hardly noticed. They made an effort just to hurt a small group of customers, which is shit.

Tropical Freeze appears to still be missing. Again, glad Pikmin is back, but would love to know what the logic is here.

Olinad

Oct 30, 2017
Understandably, there was a lot of backlash for delisting a $20 game to encourage people to buy a $60 enhanced port, but I think the bigger issue was a game preservation one. While people could still get physical copies of Pikmin 3 for the Wii U, the removal of the DLC made it impossible to obtain for anyone who didn't already own it. The Wii U version of the game will remain a wholly unique way of playing it -- the Switch doesn't have a GamePad or Wii Remotes, meaning several gameplay features and control methods will always be locked to the Wii U.

I mean, disregarding the "unique way of playing the game" part, game preservation and DLC isn't a problem specific to games that get delisted early. We would have had the same issue in 3/4 years, when the Wii U eShop gets taken down.
If anything, Pikmin 3 Deluxe including all DLC and extra content in the cart helps game preservation compared to not having the port and still having the game available on Wii U (even if they did not put it back).

Not saying it did not look scummy... but the fact that it's now available again makes me think there could have been other reasons for the takedown. Glad it's back either way.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
So, who here hasn't bought/played Pikmin 3 yet is getting the $20 WiiU version now?

I have Pikmin 3 on WiiU already and getting back to it, before the DX version.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, going to buy the DLC then. I own a physical copy of the game, managed to snag an original printing when they reduced the price

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Instead of being glad that this game is back even though it should've never disappeared, some posters' first instinct is to go "See? The game is back so now shut up, ok?"... that tells you a lot.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
This whole situation was a needless and embarrassing PR own goal on Nintendo's part. Good to see they've at least become a little sensitive to public criticism, especially when even the completely selfish explanations/justifications for doing this were pretty thin and short-sighted.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Jokes on you I paid 10 bucks for a physical copy.

(and may double-dip because the game is that good)
I'm on the same boat, but I bought my (WiiU) copy at launch and, like The Wonderful 101, don't regret it.

This whole situation was a needless and embarrassing PR own goal on Nintendo's part. Good to see they've at least become a little sensitive to public criticism, especially when even the completely selfish explanations/justifications for doing this were pretty thin and short-sighted.
Now that it's back no one will care.

And thus, the cycle continues.
I'd actually like to see if those people who complained about it being pulled from the eShop actually buy the WiiU version now at the lower price.

I wonder if they realized that with the DLC people wouldn't actually be saving much money getting this on Wii U, so why not? That's unlike Tropical Freeze.
My guess is that they'll just complain about the Switch port being priced $60 regardless.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
For everyone who said mean things to Nintendo, I expect a two page essay on why you are sorry. Single-spaced. This instant!

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
You know what the actual crime is?

I own this game physically and never played it.

LordOcidax

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now that is back... how many people are going to buy a copy?? People that were crying for that crime, now is the chance of talk with your wallet... Cant wait to see receipts.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Now that is back... how many people are going to buy a copy?? People that were crying for that crime, now is the chance of talk with your wallet... Cant wait to see receipts.
I feel like people are missing the point here lol.
If they did actually remove it to force people to buy it on a new system for full retail price, they absolutely deserved to get called out, regardless of whether you already own the game, are genuinely planning on buying it at some point, or couldn't care less about the game. People cry whenever games get delisted, but Nintendo do it just to resell a few months later at 3 times the price and people are like "good job Nintendo !"
The DLC situation made it worse, as there was no bundle with that and the game released physically, so if you hadn't picked it up before it was delisted with no warning, you were completely out of luck. I can't think of any examples of 1st party PS games that didn't have bundles with DLC, but let's say Bloodborne's DLC was only available as a download, and they delisted it to sell again for full price on PS5, they'd absolutely deserve to be called, because you can guarantee that there are still some people who were yet to buy it, and not every owner of the game has the DLC.

I just can't even begin to understand the mindset of statements like this to be honest. This isn't aimed at you, but on this site there's a big push against consumer unfriendliness with stuff like MTX, loot boxes, GaaS etc.- with them getting a load of hate about how scummy they are, and people actively not buying games (or I suppose more correctly letting people know multiple times in the OT that they're not buying it before switching their browser off and playing it) because it has these things, but good old Nintendo get a free pass for straight up stopping consumers from buying their games just so that they can force them to buy a more expensive version.