• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

predict the metascore

• 95-100

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • 90-94

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • 85-89

Votes: 52 34.9%
  • 80-84

Votes: 72 48.3%
  • 75-79

Votes: 15 10.1%
  • 70-74

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • under 70

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
Loved it on WiiU and with co-op now, I'm excited to play through again with my husband.

The WiiU version not having multiple save slots means I only went through the main game once so it should feel new-ish to mešŸ¤£

SUBZERO-08

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds good. Looking forward to picking this up after a price drop or sale. I can't bring myself to pay $80 CAD for it when I paid $40 for the Wii U version at launch.

safety_lite

Jan 16, 2018
Chicago, IL
I didn't own a Wii U and have never played this. Would've paid full price for a straight port, so the QOL changes and side missions are just icing on the cake. So excited to finally get to play this.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Oof. Makes the $60 price tag a little harder to justify for me. Thanks!
Yeah and it seems like there are like zero no assets created for this whatsoever. Except for new UI elements I guess. The new story missions are basically challenge mode levels taking place in already existing areas with already existing enemies. It really seems they spent like barely any money or time on this which is really disappointing. They shouldn't be charging 60 dollars for such an anemic port. Co-op is so tempting tho...

Pikmin is my favorite game series so I'm disappointed

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
It's not a bad port. The co-op and the new difficulty are great additions, as are all of the UI/accessibility options.

Apart from MK8, this is the best Wii U -> Switch port Nintendo has done.
the Wii U version still had more controll options (not possible to have here, understandable), and 720p/ SUB 720 mobile is just bitter for a Wii U port.

From what i know it seem that the alpha effects are a problem for the bandwidth of the memory bus on the switch. A port with more effort would have reimplemented the effects to make it more suited to switches architecture.

Mario Kart 8 was better (gameplay/tech improvement), Tropical Freeze went from 720 to 1080.
Super Mario Bros U went from 720 to 1080. Zelda is arguably a port (was designed for Wii U as a target platform, then ported to switch before release... and had 900p instead of 720p and more stable framerate.

There is no reason why the single player in pikmin is 720p, except that its a lower effort port like Bayonetta and SMT, 2 niche titles where they did not expect the same return of investment as with Mario, Donkey Kong and Zelda. (I know SMT/Bayo are third party, but they are published (and in bayonettas case funded) by nintendo)

It is still a great game. But a good port? eh. Its an okay port.

Edit: it seems there are no new assets. So.. a rebalancing of the game for a new dificulty mode, and some text for a "campaign" on already exisitng levels is high effort?

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
It's still pretty fresh on my mind from the Wii U (and I loved the experience of playing with Wii remote pointer controls and the additional GamePad map screen), but ya'll should play this if you aren't one of the 32 people who owned a Wii U. Don't let the "3" in the title scare you off.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I got Pikmin 3 on the Wii U free back when Nintendo's digital reward club gave good stuff. I should probably turn it on at some point.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
I mean it was $25 on Wii U.

And then they pumped the price up when the switch version got announced.
Lol. Classy Nintendo

It was $20 on the Wii U as a Nintendo Select title, and is still available for that price. Why are you spreading misinformation?

www.nintendo.com

My Nintendo Store ā€“ Nintendo Official Site

Shop at the My Nintendo Store for exclusive Nintendo merchandise, video games in digital and physical formats, Nintendo Switchā„¢ systems, and much more.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
This is a great game, but I wonder if reviewers will review a PORT, not a GAME. Because 720p and 30FPS is laughable.
720p docked, 540p mobile, all 30fps, let that shit sink in.

Hope the reviews will criticize that massively.
Agreed.

Developers should tie price to framerate. Want to charge 60 bucks for a game? Make it 60fps. Game only runs at 30fps? Sorry, you can charge 30 bucks max.

Roliq

ā–² Legend ā–²
Sep 23, 2018
Agreed.

Developers should tie price to framerate. Want to charge 60 bucks for a game? Make it 60fps. Game only runs at 30fps? Sorry, you can charge 30 bucks max.
I fell this is joking post but if not what you said is pretty ridiculous, developers can price wherever they feel is the correct price and if it sells well that means it was the correct decision

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This video does a great job of explaining how Pikmin 3 took so long + what might be similarly happening to Pikmin 4. (tldr, the series isn't a priority internally due to sales numbers so the team often shifted to other projects, if I remember correctly).

Awesome, thanks for this, will give it a watch!

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Not followed Pikmin since 1 and whilst I resent paying full price Nintendo and dropping in value is so small there is no point waiting much.

Does it still have the timer? I know they canned it for 2 but it was no fun in 1.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It was $20 on the Wii U as a Nintendo Select title, and is still available for that price. Why are you spreading misinformation?

www.nintendo.com

My Nintendo Store ā€“ Nintendo Official Site

Shop at the My Nintendo Store for exclusive Nintendo merchandise, video games in digital and physical formats, Nintendo Switchā„¢ systems, and much more.

While it's there now, they did remove it for several weeks or months from the Wii U eshop though, as well as all the dlc, in multiple regions (at least NA and EU). They wanted to screw people until the backlash happened.

Not followed Pikmin since 1 and whilst I resent paying full price Nintendo and dropping in value is so small there is no point waiting much.

Does it still have the timer? I know they canned it for 2 but it was no fun in 1.

Sort of. You have to consume at least one fruit juice per day as a food supply, but t realistically you'll always have a huge buffer that means there might as well have no time limit. You'd have to avoid making progress (collecting fruit) deliberately many times over to get anywhere close to running out of time.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017

No timer, but your time during a day is limited.
You need to find fruits to fill up your supply of juice in bottles. Each day "costs" one bottle of supply.
So there is a bit of a time limit here, but it's very generous

Mirev

Jun 8, 2018
Currently on Amazon Italy at ā‚¬50. With ā‚¬5 coupon, I could buy it at ā‚¬45. Loved the demo, Pikmin seems like a very nice franchise

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely loved the original.

Played the demo on the switch, first thought was that the game looks rough. 720p was okay in 2013, now it definitely looks like I'm playing an old game.

Also the controls felt very weird. I don't remember exactly how were the controls on the Wii U, but I suspect they were much better. I'm going to try my Wii u copy later to check, but I'm not super excited to pay full price for an arguably worse version of the game (I don't care about multiplayer).

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely loved the original.

Played the demo on the switch, first thought was that the game looks rough. 720p was okay in 2013, now it definitely looks like I'm playing an old game.

Also the controls felt very weird. I don't remember exactly how were the controls on the Wii U, but I suspect they were much better. I'm going to try my Wii u copy later to check, but I'm not super excited to pay full price for an arguably worse version of the game (I don't care about multiplayer).

It definitely plays worse. Pikmin and Wii remote aiming was a match made in heaven, but they can't do much about that on switch.

unicornKnight

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I mean it was $25 on Wii U.

And then they pumped the price up when the switch version got announced.
I don't think they did. In EU it's still 25ā‚¬. In US I think they removed it initially from web store - you could still buy it from console - and I think it then returned. There's a chance they did this so google searches wouldn't lead people to Wii U versions.

Oct 28, 2017
Have it on Wii U, played it there and loved it. I was determined that I wouldn't double-dip, but then I downloaded the demo and tried co-op with my daughter. It's a pretty great addition, and I want to play the whole game co-op now...

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
I would have loved it if Nintendo updated those textures. Great game, but a lot of the textures are a big mess :(

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I hope DigitalFoundry give it a look - I'd love to see a proper analysis of the graphical changes.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Reviews for WiiU to Switch port have to be the least interesting reviews in the industry

"It's a great game, now with some extra content and nice QoL" 8/10

- Literally every single review of every single WiiU port.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they did. In EU it's still 25ā‚¬. In US I think they removed it initially from web store - you could still buy it from console - and I think it then returned. There's a chance they did this so google searches wouldn't lead people to Wii U versions.

They temporarily removed pikmin 3+dlc from the EU stores too

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

nvdNYGO.png

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
While it's there now, they did remove it for several weeks or months from the Wii U eshop though, as well as all the dlc, in multiple regions (at least NA and EU). They wanted to screw people until the backlash happened.

Yes, it was removed for one month. No, the intent behind this decision isn't clear, nor is the re-listing necessarily due to the backlash. There's discussion on that topic here for anyone interested...

www.resetera.com

Has Nintendo quietly put back the delisted Wii U games back for sale?

We were all pretty unhappy when Nintendo removed the option to purchase the titles ported to Switch on the Wii U eShop. I just had a discussion with someone that I fully expect Super Mario 3D World to disappear from the eShop next year as well, but then was pretty surprised to see the games...

Anyway, the post I quoted wasn't about that. It was making a claim that they raised the price of the Wii U digital listing on this announcement, which is false.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does any review mention the changes in ultra-spicy mode and if it's only recommended for a second playthrough? Debating between playing on Hard or ultra-spicy.