• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Citizen K

Nov 7, 2017
What's the controls like? I loved the wiimote pointer controls, I guess that's not replicated the same here ?

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
What's the controls like? I loved the wiimote pointer controls, I guess that's not replicated the same here ?
It has Gyro controls that replicate the Wii Remote pointer.

Not as reliably precise since the gyro tends to drift, but you can recalibrate with the R button at any time and I'm already used it it after a level or two.

I will say it feels a little more accurate playing with detached joycons compared to handheld mode, it does feel a bit more like the Wii Remote to me that way when I tried it just now.

They also made locking-on to enemies easy than in the Wii U version, so that's useful for more annoying enemies like flying ones.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I don't have too much trouble with the new control scheme and managed to beat the game and get a few mission mode platinums but I'm noticing that I'm having trouble pulling off some of the stuff I used to do in the DLC mission levels with the wii remotes, particularly in the cavern one. I'm sure I'll be able to replicate everything in the end but it's weird to have to fight against muscle memory.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I've finished it, and while still a good game, oof, the controls are definitely a step down from the Wii remote based scheme from the Wii U version. Shame too, that most will probably experience it this way. I'm struggling to get pikmin to do what I want a lot more in the mission mode because you have to rely a lot on the slower, clunkier lock on system.
make sure to try out both gyro versions. they feel very different.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Elw1qsRVkAU_pgM

Yeah boi

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man I'm so glad I decided to think fuck it and buy this again despite already finishing it on the Wii U.

I'm having tonnes of fun.

Also the music 🥰

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy how the pikmin loop in 3 just grabs you and doesn't let go.
Always doing something, the constant drip feed of opening new paths, spying more fruit, maximising your time.

And heading up to the twilight river boss now I'm also reminded that the boss fights in general are great, In 1 and 2 there's always the fear in Pikmin that bosses just won't mesh too well with the control you have over your pikmin, especially in 2 with tighter arenas and moves that can just quite literally roll over a whole army in a second.
3's vast open arenas, ease of switching which type of pikmin you're ready to fling, the charge attack and having a backup dodge, it's the succesful end result of learning from the first two games that plays a lot more into the abilities of each Pikmin type.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
My problem the last few in-game days is that I keep forgetting about a group of Pikmin at the end of the day, so like 15+ of them get eaten when the day ends.

Like the day is about to end, but I completely forgot I had a group of yellow Pikmin knocking down an electric fence.

And one thing I don't like is how Pikmin act when building a bridge. I wish they'd just finish it and stay there, instead of coming alllll the way back to the empty pile and waiting there.
I usually end up following the last pikmin carrying pieces and just whistling over and over to grab the idiots walking past me back to the non-existant pile.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
My problem the last few in-game days is that I keep forgetting about a group of Pikmin at the end of the day, so like 15+ of them get eaten when the day ends.

Like the day is about to end, but I completely forgot I had a group of yellow Pikmin knocking down an electric fence.

And one thing I don't like is how Pikmin act when building a bridge. I wish they'd just finish it and stay there, instead of coming alllll the way back to the empty pile and waiting there.
I usually end up following the last pikmin carrying pieces and just whistling over and over to grab the idiots walking past me back to the non-existant pile.
you know about the new "call back" feature by your ship? use the map, check the HUD to see how many are unaccounted for.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
How many hours is the average play through for this
For just the main story, ~10-15 hours depending on how leisurely you approach it. It's designed to be replayable. If you include all the side quests and mission mode that's another 10 or so hours, again all designed to be replayable with high scores and such.

Multiplayer Bingo Battle is where I spend most of my time though! 100+ hours in Pikmin 2, hoping 3 is similar.

Turrican3

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Started the game yesterday, but despite gyro being a decent, yet NOT 100% ok IR pointer replacement I feel like the new control scheme is a bit cumbersome (HUGE wiimote fan speaking)

It's been a while since I played the original on the WiiU but I'm reasonably sure you didn't need to give *two* inputs (key, then stick) to separate Pikmins or switching controlling character? Or perhaps I do not remember correctly? 🤔

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Started the game yesterday, but despite gyro being a decent, yet NOT 100% ok IR pointer replacement I feel like the new control scheme is a bit cumbersome (HUGE wiimote fan speaking)

It's been a while since I played the original on the WiiU but I'm reasonably sure you didn't need to give *two* inputs (key, then stick) to separate Pikmins or switching controlling character? Or perhaps I do not remember correctly? 🤔

you definitely are correct... and looking back at the control guide, it looks like you used to be able to move the cursor only by holding R? Weird removal.

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Got this game yesterday and played for about 4 hours yesterday and 4 today and I'm just now getting the Blue Pikmin. Kinda crazy how late they show up.

Also, I enter some kind of trance when I play this game. It's so freaking good.

I'm using the default controls but with gyro on. I'm NOT using the pointer controls. Seems to work fine for me.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Pikmin 3 and AoC were two games I had no interest on, let's see how much I enjoy the Demo. I quite dislike RTSs but the opinions I keep hearing are so good I want to try it

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Do you have to unlock the DLC levels somehow, or am I dumb?

I can't find the Xmas level in mission mode anywhere...

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The day cut out after I beat the boss but before I could take the spoils of victory back to the ship. Lost a few Pikmin because of that. (But didn't want to redo the entire day again.)

Oct 25, 2017
The day cut out after I beat the boss but before I could take the spoils of victory back to the ship. Lost a few Pikmin because of that. (But didn't want to redo the entire day again.)
the thing that got me was that you can't recall pikmin with your whistle while they're walking "into" a zone through a loading area. they're stuck to their cargo until they pass an invisible theshold. lost twenty good pikmin that day (but they will never be forgotten)

Pafounapa

Oct 25, 2017
Does ennemies in hard mode have double hp compared to normal mode, or double hp from the wiiu version? It seems to me that hard mode is basically the wiiu difficulty, considering they have the same day length.

wastingmyyouth

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 10, 2020
I had no interest in Pikmin 3 when it originally released on Wii U, but have really loved my time with it on Switch.

My initial playthrough of the main story was only 7 hours long, and that's with like 40 fruit. I expected it to be longer for some reason?

I'm just finishing up the prologue/epilogue, but no interest in multiplayer or the challenge mode. I generally detest playing things with arbitrary time limits.

Really great game, but hope Pikmin 4 has more story content and biome variety. Not sure i've gotten my money's worth without digging into the extra modes.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Have been going through each of the modes but by bit, but what do you need to do to unlock missions 11-15? Seems a bit weird that they're not available straight away.

Semajer

Oct 27, 2017

Using separate joy cons lets you mimic the Wii controlers, but because it's using motion controls it's nowhere near as precise or consistent as the Wii remote. If my experience so far is anything to go by the micro gravity from asteroids passing near Earth is enough to throw the cursor off-centre. I'm going to end up with RSI from recentreing the cursor by the time I'm finished with the game.

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
When I first played this game on Wii U I kind of rushed my way to the end (enjoyed it so much I couldn't put it down so I was done in like.. 2 maybe 3 days)
This time around with the Switch version I'm taking my time with it. Admiring the environments, trying to not do multitasking and overall taking my time with the small objectives.

It's still a beautiful game but its Wii/early Wii U origins are hard to ignore.
Now that Nintendo is in full swing (HD development wise) I really hope Pikmin 4 is a looker. Whenever that happens lol

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
7 years later, and still is geat game and look nice, too bad that game isnt 1080p or at least 900p,
I having blast with main story and missions mode chasing platinum.

Turrican3

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Using separate joy cons lets you mimic the Wii controlers, but because it's using motion controls it's nowhere near as precise or consistent as the Wii remote.
As I said before, I am a HUGE wiimote lover, with specific regard to the IR pointing controls.

BUT, having just had a read at what I wrote (elsewhere) about my first impressions with the original WiiU game, which by the way I played with the wiimote+nunchuck configuration, I think I can safely state that Pikmin3 used gyro, too instead of the IR pointer at the time.

The difference, and it is a very significant one, is that on the WiiU you had the sensor bar which (a similar thing happened in other games like Zelda Skyward Sword and Wii Sports Resort) transparently recentered/recalibrated the sensor, thus avoiding the need for a dedicated, manual reset like we see in the Switch version and many other games that uses gyro as an IR-pointer replacement.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
The difference, and it is a very significant one, is that on the WiiU you had the sensor bar which (a similar thing happened in other games like Zelda Skyward Sword and Wii Sports Resort) transparently recentered/recalibrated the sensor, thus avoiding the need for a dedicated, manual reset like we see in the Switch version and many other games that uses gyro as an IR-pointer replacement.
that's been their default for Wiimote pointing since the Wii Motion Plus came out, adding the gyro. Pretty much every WM+ enabled game since then made use of the gyro to improve the pointer (=not lose track of where you're pointing once you point away from the screen). It was an assist for the IR.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I had no interest in Pikmin 3 when it originally released on Wii U, but have really loved my time with it on Switch.

My initial playthrough of the main story was only 7 hours long, and that's with like 40 fruit. I expected it to be longer for some reason?

I'm just finishing up the prologue/epilogue, but no interest in multiplayer or the challenge mode. I generally detest playing things with arbitrary time limits.

Really great game, but hope Pikmin 4 has more story content and biome variety. Not sure i've gotten my money's worth without digging into the extra modes.
If you don't play the whole game then I don't know how you expect to get "your money's worth" with just the basic story mode.

Learn from this:
i can't believe i skipped these missions on wii u. replaying to optimise them and get a platinum is so much fun

Semajer

Oct 27, 2017
As I said before, I am a HUGE wiimote lover, with specific regard to the IR pointing controls.

BUT, having just have a read at what I wrote (elsewhere) about my first impressions with the original WiiU game, which by the way I played with the wiimote+nunchuck configuration, I think I can safely state that Pikmin3 used gyro, too instead of the IR pointer at the time.

I'm pretty sure that all the games that used gyro instead of IR constantly drifted regardless of the sensor bar. I remember having to constantly recentre Skyward Sword. Gyro controls should never have been the only way to aim in those games when IR was available. If only the Wii remote could connect to the Switch.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure that all the games that used gyro instead of IR constantly drifted regardless of the sensor bar. I remember having to constantly recentre Skyward Sword. Gyro controls should never have been the only way to aim in those games when IR was available. If only the Wii remote could connect to the Switch.
skyward sword is a special case — it stored a separate center point which you could reset at will for its "fake" DPD pointer, but the actual sword position is based on the (DPD auto-corrected) motion plus gyro rotation at all times.

the pointer center was always automatically centered to wherever you happen to be pointing when you start aiming a pointer weapon like the slingshot, so this could lead to the pointer feeling out of sync when you then opened the pause menu (or whatever) after aiming.

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
And heading up to the twilight river boss now I'm also reminded that the boss fights in general are great, In 1 and 2 there's always the fear in Pikmin that bosses just won't mesh too well with the control you have over your pikmin, especially in 2 with tighter arenas and moves that can just quite literally roll over a whole army in a second.
3's vast open arenas, ease of switching which type of pikmin you're ready to fling, the charge attack and having a backup dodge, it's the succesful end result of learning from the first two games that plays a lot more into the abilities of each Pikmin type.

Ever since playing the Wii U release, I've thought the bosses in Pikmin 3 are some of the best bosses I've faced in gaming. Outside of the first boss, all are very memorable with interesting designs and mechanics. Quaggled Mireclops is particularly memorable for everyone that's battled it lol.

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
i can't believe i skipped these missions on wii u. replaying to optimise them and get a platinum is so much fun
They're my favorite part tbh. The campaign is great, and I need to do an ultra spicy playthrough, but it's a bit too easy to just casually wander about with no pressure and still make good progress. I think the game really starts to shine when you are forced to multitask and be smart about how you use and divide your squads.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're my favorite part tbh. The campaign is great, and I need to do an ultra spicy playthrough, but it's a bit too easy to just casually wander about with no pressure and still make good progress. I think the game really starts to shine when you are forced to multitask and be smart about how you use and divide your squads.

Agreed. I'm playing on hard mode and it's just too easy, on day 22 I had around 40 juices. There's just no way you can realistically get a game over, which I think is a shame because since there's a mechanic that lets you "rewind" to any previous day, I feel like they really could have made it more high stakes.

In any case story mode is a lot of fun, and the easy difficulty balances out with the mission mode where getting platinum on these levels definitely takes effort and you can't just be on auto-pilot.

Turrican3

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
that's been their default for Wiimote pointing since the Wii Motion Plus came out, adding the gyro. Pretty much every WM+ enabled game since then made use of the gyro to improve the pointer (=not lose track of where you're pointing once you point away from the screen). It was an assist for the IR.
Yup, and man I wish the Switch had a similar option!
Can't stand the constant recentering, it was (is) a pain with certain levels in Super Mario Galaxy of the SM3DAS collection.

Now that you make me think about it, I wonder if Pikmin3 actually required a wiimoteplus, or whether it silently fell back to standard IR pointing in case you were using a standard wiimote. Can't remember this not-so-tiny detail (likely because at the time I had few regular wiimotes left, if any)

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
This is my first pikmin game and damn is it good, took about 2 hours for it to click and I've been hooked ever since

Regarding gyro, it works perfectly and recentering is pretty intuitive considering my right index finger is already resting on the right trigger

safety_lite

Jan 16, 2018
Chicago, IL
The collect treasure missions are so much fun! I'm really surprised by how demanding these become in complexity if you want the Platinum medal. Compared to the story, they require a whole other level of planning and execution, and I am there for it!

Turrican3

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Now that you make me think about it, I wonder if Pikmin3 actually required a wiimoteplus, or whether it silently fell back to standard IR pointing in case you were using a standard wiimote.
Self quoting because I checked Pikmin3 on the WiiU and apparently a wiimote plus is NOT required (or at least this is what the back of the cover implicitly claims, since it mention both regular and plus models)

I have to fire it again someday, assuming I can find a regular wiimote I mean. 🤔

ryechu

Oct 25, 2017
The collect treasure missions are so much fun! I'm really surprised by how demanding these become in complexity if you want the Platinum medal. Compared to the story, they require a whole other level of planning and execution, and I am there for it!
The collect treasure and defeat enemies missions are my favorite part of the game. Getting plats on all 30 of those missions to me more time than 100%ing the story.

Dec 18, 2018

That's why you got to do your homework. Before I buy a game, especially an indie game, I google how long to beat it and then I decide if it's worth the asking price. Pikmin 3 is 13 hours on average to beat main story. I'm going to buy pikmin 3 because of extra content the game will be 20+ hours long. If game is 12 hours or less I just borrow it from library.