• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
p3leavessmallerhvj5e.png

pizzadeluxeygjfo.jpg

p3leavestopiqkid.png

co-opy6k6x.png
DX Version Developer:
Nintendo EPD (port) & Eighting (new content)
Original Developer: Nintendo EAD
Publisher: Nintendo
Release: October 30, 2020
Original release: 2013 on Wii U
Platforms: Nintendo Switch
Genre: Fruit Juggler Sim / Strategical Grief & Regret Adventure
Multiplayer: Local campaign co-op & versus modes for 2 players
Online: No, only has online leaderboards for certain modes
Demo: Yes, saved progress carries over to the full game and unlocks Ultra Spicy difficulty
Download Size: 6.7GB
eShop pages: EU | AU | NZ | US | CA | JP

p3gamexfjga.jpg

ci_nswitch_pikmin3deli3jae.png
The Basics

Pikmin 3 is a multi-tasking game in which you switch between three playable characters that commandeer your army of Pikmin. The five Pikmin-types available in the main story mode (two additional types are available in mission mode) all have distinct characteristics that affect your gameplay. The three captains, in turn, do not have any unique abilities.

Red = resistant to fire
Yellow = resistant to electricity, can be thrown higher
Blue = can swim
Rock = can destroy glass, can't cling to enemies
Winged = can fly

Your home planet is out of food resources and you've been sent to scout other planets for new sources of sustenance. You'll try to collect as many fruit as you can each day. Once the sun sets, you have to return to your ship and everything left behind will remain where it is (any Pikmin you don't bring back with you will be eaten by the critters roaming around at night).

Whether you're fine with chewing through Pikmin like there's no tomorrow or you cherish every little one of the little clowns is up to you. But you''ll have to live with those haunting sounds of death in your dreams and you'll be reminded of every Pikmin soul lost on the stats screen of every level and at the end of the game. Can you complete a no-death playthrough?

p3modesv4j06.jpg

blue-pikmin-with-applk0koi.png
Story Mode

The main campaign of Alph, Brittany, and Charlie's adventure to collecting amazing looking HD-Ready fruit to ensure the survival of their home planet.

Side Stories
Olimar and Louie's prologue and epilogue is found here.

Bingo Battle
A 1v1 battle mode where the you have to complete a row of objects on your bingo card to win. Collect everything on there to beat your opponent. Do not play this against Bill Trinen.

Mission Mode
A challenge mode (this is where you find the pizza level!!!) all about optimizing your strategic planning to get the highest score in the fastest time. Comes with online leaderboards.

char-78nkky.png
This is an example of how you absolutely own in this game:

ps3newlvkjk.jpg

blue-pikminh9jz4.png
Side Stories

Olimar (Pikmin 1) and Louie (Pikmin 2) return as playable characters in their own side stories that function as a prologue and epilogue to the main game. These levels are presented like challenge missions.

Campaign Co-op
A much requested feature for the original release, the Switch release finally supports local two-player co-op.

Piklopedia
Absent from the original release, Pikmin 3 Deluxe finally has entries for all the things to read up on.

Achievements
If you like checking things off lists.

Quality of Life Improvements
Improved lock-on, improved charge move, much much wider Whistle Circle, an optional hint system, new difficulty modes, a convenient "call-back" feature for stragglers at risk of being left behind

p3faqlvkug.jpg

player-pinkhbj1u.png
Any visual upgrades?

No, visually the game is the same as the Wii U original in terms of resolution, framerate, and effects (specifically: 30fps @ 720p docked, 540p handheld). There are minor differences that are hard to notice. Some small geometry detail has been altered/remodeled slightly.

Does this have all the content?
Yes, all the paid-DLC missions from the Wii U version are already included here. Plus the new content.

Is there online Bingo Battle/co-op now?
No, everything is local-only. There are online leaderboards though.

Touch controls?
Sadly, the brilliant stylus control mode that was patched into the Wii U original is nowhere to be found here. Nor any touch control alternative.

Motion/pointer controls?
In replicating the Wii Remote controls from the original game, Pikmin 3 Deluxe uses the gyro sensor in the Joy-Con and Pro Controllers to move the cursor in the game.

Why is Normal so easy?
Because "Normal" difficulty is actually just the easy mode. The original Wii U difficulty is called "Hard" in the Deluxe version.
Normal (actually "Easy"): days last 18 minutes, enemy HP is halved from the original Wii U game. New to this version.​
Hard (actually "Normal"): days last 13 minutes. This how the Wii U original was.​
Ultra-Spicy (actually "Hard"): days are shorter than 13 minutes, see below for more. New to this version.​

How spicy is Ultra-Spicy difficulty?
Ultra-Spicy is the new hard mode unlocked after either beating the game on "hard" (=the OG Wii U difficulty) or completing the demo and carrying that save file over into the full game.
You're limited to 60 Pikmin (out at the same time), there are fewer nectar spawns, enemy critters have more HP, fruit juice yield is halved, and time passes more quickly. There might be more changes. Check the Ultra-Spicey livestream from GameXplain:
ci_nswitch_pikmin3delgujm0.png

Whatever happened to those Pikmin movies they released on Wii U and 3DS?
You can now just officially watch them on Nintendo's YouTube channel (linking their entire Pikmin 3DX playlist):
ci_nswitch_pikmin3delmajuw.png

Is it any good?
It's excellent. Still. Have a look at the review thread.

img_foot_chara9qkpp.png

p3leavesbottom28kip.png

pikminpizzauojkx.jpg

p3oteqj2x.jpg

p3leavesbotto2mc9jnf.png

Last edited:

Bananastand

Oct 26, 2017
The pizza looks really good in this game but the fruit that you're supposed to collect also looks extremely delicious.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I love the campaign from the original but I'm really looking forward to playing Mission Mode more this time round for some reason.

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
I've been resisting buying this again but my resistance is wearing down. I'll finish up the demo this weekend and probably buy it. I loved it on the Wii U.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
Nice OT!

Brand new to franchise despite being a gamecube boomer - I played a little of the 1st game, tried the demo and decided to get it, it was wonderful. I am after the second boss and while I am not loving character switching/pikmin management right now, the game is very much my cup of tea. I think I might be a convert.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
I had planned on getting this today, but there are way too many great games on sale right now.

I'm going to save it for a lull in releases.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I'll probably be picking this up today.

Had it on Wii U, but never completely finished the campaign, and never got any of the DLC either, so there's a lot of new content here for me with the extra prologue and epilogue and the new co-op mode (I think my fiancé would really like this game).
I love the campaign from the original but I'm really looking forward to playing Mission Mode more this time round for some reason.
Yeah, I skipped that mode almost completely when I played it on Wii U (only did like 1 mission), but it seems absolutely perfect for the Switch to just pick up and play a quick mission without worrying about running out of juice, and re-doing them to get a higher medal.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Great OT, amazing work!

Personally, I won't be jumping back in, but if you haven't played this yet, give it a try. My favorite Pikmin and easily one of the best games on WiiU (and now Switch).

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely wonderful game. Switch owners who have not previously played - if this game fails, there is truly no hope for you as a collective.

Catalyst

Oct 6, 2020
One of Nintendo's best games of the past decade. It's great that the game is getting a second chance to do well on an actually successful console.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I have a tough time justifying this as I have it on Wii U, but I'll probably pick it up anyway in a year or two if it goes on sale. I think I will miss the gamepad map!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I have a voucher. I'll probably cave. Its just too damn charming.

Finished the game on WiiU but never played the DLC. on the demo I'm not a fan of hte default controls - the lock on seems a little clumsy and I'd almost rather have the cursor on the right stick and movement on the left (with maybe shoulders for rotating the camera). But its ok I guess.

Are the 'go here' controls on the map actually useful? Even on WiiU I tended to micromanage and walk my guys everywhere.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I have a voucher. I'll probably cave. Its just too damn charming.

Finished the game on WiiU but never played the DLC. on the demo I'm not a fan of hte default controls - the lock on seems a little clumsy and I'd almost rather have the cursor on the right stick and movement on the left (with maybe shoulders for rotating the camera). But its ok I guess.

Are the 'go here' controls on the map actually useful? Even on WiiU I tended to micromanage and walk my guys everywhere.
I found 'Go Here' to be invaluable when I had limited time and lots I still wanted to do, I think it'll be even more useful (even necessary) with the epilogue and ultra-spicy mode.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I found 'Go Here' to be invaluable when I had limited time and lots I still wanted to do, I think it'll be even more useful (even necessary) with the epilogue and ultra-spicy mode.

I guess I just don't trust them to go anywhere without getting any of my pikmin eaten. I suppose for areas you've cleared before it may be ok

Mar 8, 2018
Pikmin 2 is one of my ten favorite games of all time. I never had a Wii-U though, so I missed out on this. For those who are familiar with 3, where would you say it falls stylistically between 1 and 2?

Christo750

May 10, 2018
For everyone playing this for the first time: enjoy it. It's a really special game and Pikmin is an underrated franchise.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see there's an OT for this! This year there seems to be low interest in everything I'm personally into😞

Beautiful OT♥️

Mar 8, 2018
What do you mean by stylistically? The graphics and art style?
I guess I mean the approach. 1 and 2 had the same basic gameplay, but 1 was structured more like a time/score attack game that you would replay, while 2 was more about big, deep levels. The kind of overall arc of 1 was that you were planning for how you were going to tackle challenges two or three days down the line, while 2 was about clearing discrete levels.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
Never played it, big fan of the first 2 entries. Can't wait to play it tomorrow after getting some rest

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
I guess I mean the approach. 1 and 2 had the same basic gameplay, but 1 was structured more like a time/score attack game that you would replay, while 2 was more about big, deep levels. The kind of overall arc of 1 was that you were planning for how you were going to tackle challenges two or three days down the line, while 2 was about clearing discrete levels.
Honestly I'd say it's a mixture of both.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Lovely OT. Louie is back, and I am overjoyed!

Genre: Fruit Juggler Sim / Strategical Grief & Regret Adventure
Accurate.

Just a heads up though - I'm yet to see a proper analysis of them, but there are notable graphical changes from the Wii U version.

To my eyes a few textures look a bit flatter and performance wasn't quite so stable on the demo, and I've seen others note similar, but I haven't looked into this fully.

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't think I would double dip since I beat this on Wii U but my husband was interested in trying it since it has story co-op now and he thinks pikmin are super cute. And wow, the QOL changes are really awesome. The longer days are nice so I don't feel as rushed and end up killing pikmin because I wasn't paying attention. And extra bonus now that I don't have to control so many characters at once, no idea how people can do that!

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I didn't think I would double dip since I beat this on Wii U but my husband was interested in trying it since it has story co-op now and he thinks pikmin are super cute. And wow, the QOL changes are really awesome. The longer days are nice so I don't feel as rushed and end up killing pikmin because I wasn't paying attention. And extra bonus now that I don't have to control so many characters at once, no idea how people can do that!
wait you get longer days in co-op?

Incite

Oct 25, 2017

I'm playing co-op with my husband as well and it strikes the perfect balance between engaging and relaxing that I don't find in most videogames period.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Nice OT.

Doesn't seem to be a ton of hype around this release, but the Switch audience is big and it's not like there was lot of competition on Switch right now.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Did you know?
Pikmin 3 also won the coveted award of Nocturnowl's 2013 Game of the Year?

See, between this and the pizza, the accolades are too strong

ryechu

Oct 25, 2017
There is nectar in Ultra Spicy mode. There is just less of it compared to Normal and Hard. I think the nectar egg frequency in Ultra Spicy matches the Wii U Pikmin 3.

The other changes I've noticed so far are that the monster have more HP, the days are shorter, Fruit have half the juice yield. And of course 60 pikmin cap.

ryechu

Oct 25, 2017
Well that cliches it, I'll be picking this up (eventually at least). One of my biggest gripes with the original is that the juice restriction had no bite.
I've been having a lot of fun with Ultra Spicy. Deathless runs require more micro for sure with the increased HP. A lot of the monsters with shake off -> bite combo, don't die before shaking off and then eating your pikmin unless you have 15+ pikmin. You cant send a squad of 10 red pikmin or 10 yellows to go around and kill everything while multitasking. And the pikmin limit has me sending a captain back to base with Go Here to switch up my squad color distribution and fetch pikmin who have finished carrying tasks a lot more often.

MLH

Oct 26, 2017
I forgot how short the story mode is in this game (don't misunderstand me, I think it's perfect). Played on hard difficulty too, I think I'm going to have to play ultra spicy.

First run results - Don't look, I'm so ashamed of my losses :(
h2JJStt.jpg

The mission modes are probably my favorite aspect when returning to this game, they're great to replay.
But next up is jumping into the new content of the side stories!

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
There is nectar in Ultra Spicy mode. There is just less of it compared to Normal and Hard. I think the nectar egg frequency in Ultra Spicy matches the Wii U Pikmin 3.

The other changes I've noticed so far are that the monster have more HP, the days are shorter, Fruit have half the juice yield. And of course 60 pikmin cap.
nice, thanks for the details!

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Intrigued, now
kotaku.com

Surprise: Pikmin 3 Deluxe’s Epilogue Is Some Of The Best Pikmin Ever Made

Twenty-two days ago, I wrote: “If Nintendo has hidden some amazing twist at the end of Pikmin 3 Deluxe, if the epilogue really delivers, the joke will be on me.” Today I am here to tell you there is no twist, at least not a plot twist at the end of the new Switch port of the 2013 Wii U adventure...

Dang, this guy better not be overhyping. Hard to imagine how it could be so good without any new mechanics but I guess the DLC Challenge levels were a great time, I shouldn't write it off.