• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
My god I loved this game so much. I don't typically "double dip" on games, but I think I'll have to do this one again. MY favorite Pikmin.

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017
It's a fantastic game, but the main campaign lacked challenge so I hope "multiple difficulty modes" means there's a Hard Mode.
Also if the new missions are substantial it will definitely be enough to make me double-dip.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Many of the games you've listed have been on sale for at most $40 several times...the deals aren't hard to find. I'm not taking about permanent price drops.

Why? With COVID-19 more and more people are buying digitally should we just pretend people aren't buying it on the eShop for full price months if not years afterwards? Saying it will go on sale in a few months is not a defense of the price, imo.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo is the only one who can rerelease a same game a few years later for full price that makes a lot of people happy.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Probably gonna pass despite loving this game. Can't imagine playing without the gamepad, and while the local co-op missions were great I'd prefer to play story mode single. Would buy and Olimar and Louie mission standalone were that an option.

Great news for those who never played the original though. And for the series as this could end up being the best-selling title

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It is pretty annoying, but the Wii U sold, what, 12m units?

The Switch is on 50m I think?

Most people won't have played the game, so it's not exactly the same as Sony reselling their million seller PS3 titles again on PS4

Ideally it wouldn't be full price, but Nintendo know people will pay it, so they have no reason to drop it

No one says they shouldn't port it but even with rumors there won't be anything major besides ports the fourth year in and that's bad no matter how you put it

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Nintendo is the only one who can rerelease a same game a few years later for full price that makes a lot of people happy.
They're very smart about not devaluing their games. Microsoft and Sony go a different route though. Sony could never re-release TLOU2 for PS5 and ask $60. People would revolt!

Jul 16, 2020
The DLC was robust and fun. The multiplayer is a blast. New Olimar and Louie content. I'm okay with this price. I understand that it seems steep for some.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if it has been posted here.
A Little Summary of what is new.
Eeqf_h4WAAAqVdU
Co-op for the story?! On the same system?!?! Ok.

A new lock-on mode makes me think the pointer controls aren't up to snuff. Or they're just making an auto-accelerate like mode for all their Wii U ports and this is just that.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Comes with all the DLC

Plus new content and difficulty modes.

I've never played this series. What's it like?

It's an action RTS, you control a captain and command a small army of Pikmin to complete various actions like collecting certain types of items, solving puzzles and defending yourself against the local fauna. Definitely recommend checking out some gameplay videos, there aren't a lot of similar games currently being made. It took me some time to get into the series but now I love it.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
No one says they shouldn't port it but even with rumors there won't be anything major besides ports the fourth year in and that's bad no matter how you put it

Yeah I'm 100% with you there, hopefully they'll have something else. I guess with the virus impacting workflow over the last 6 months some things may be behind schedule or they may be waiting to see if they can get something done in time

Or it may be they just didn't have anything but ports planned for the end of 2020 heh

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
I highly doubt this is the case, they'll roll out a few more holiday titles I'm sure. TOK made sense at it came out so far from holiday season, but I think Pikmin 3 will be rolled out in conjuction with other Nintendo stuff.

As I remember, the Mario remakes were leaked with Pikmin 3 and TOK right? So I guess this is a good sign that Mario remakes are coming
Yeah, I reckon it's all but confirmed at this stage.

Keen to see what new titles they still plan on releasing in 2020.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Oh by the way, it seems like Nintendo actually waited for North American coupons to expire before announcing it, since it's available for pre-load.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of headscratching that Nintendo wouldn't look at this as an opportunity to grow the audience for this franchise, and offer the re-release at a cheaper price.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Co-op for the story?! On the same system?!?! Ok.

A new lock-on mode makes me think the pointer controls aren't up to snuff. Or they're just making an auto-accelerate like mode for all their Wii U ports and this is just that.
are pointer controls confirmed to be an option?

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
I highly doubt this is the case, they'll roll out a few more holiday titles I'm sure. TOK made sense at it came out so far from holiday season, but I think Pikmin 3 will be rolled out in conjuction with other Nintendo stuff.

As I remember, the Mario remakes were leaked with Pikmin 3 and TOK right? So I guess this is a good sign that Mario remakes are coming
Sure but i doubt nintendo is not gonna give pikmin some time to breathe like paper mario. Wich would put us in almost mid november before an eventual announcement. And i highly doubt they will release a remaster of 3 mario games and the remaster of 3d world near eachother.

im kinda thinking they where planning the mario games for fall but with covid and the indefinite delay of the themepark. It wouldnt suprice me if we see them in early 2021

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
They're very smart about not devaluing their games. Microsoft and Sony go a different route though. Sony could never re-release TLOU2 for PS5 and ask $60. People would revolt!

They did that with TLoU1 on PS4 though, and I don't think anyone revolted there, and that was like a year after it came out on PS3

I guess a lot of people came to PS4 from the 360 so it was more or less a new game for a number of people, in the same way Pikmin 3 will be a new game to most Switch owners

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Even if I had some interest in this I wouldn't pay full price for a barely enhanced port of a 7 year old title, the absolute least they could have done is give it a visual overhaul.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I honestly think people are being overly negative towards Nintendo on what otherwise could be seen as positive news.
Nintendo fans already played this, non-Nintendo fans don't care. This is fine an an ancillary announcement during E3 but it's the only first party game announced in months, and the only other rumored first party games are additional games we've all already played.

For the record though, I think $60 is a fine price for this. I don't subscribe to "games are worth less just because they're older."

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I'll pick it up to play coop with my kid, but man, for $60 would have at least been nice if this was a remaster vs a straight up port with some added side missions. The Switch tax is real.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
They did that with TLoU1 on PS4 though, and I don't think anyone revolted there, and that was like a year after it came out on PS3

I guess a lot of people came to PS4 from the 360 so it was more or less a new game for a lot of people
I actually wanted to cite this. How come if its Sony they can get away with it? Is it because people don't consider Pikmin 3 a Triple A game?

Pikmin 3 is not that old a game.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

Nintendo and Bethesda, two companies we speak about in the same breath :P.

I guess a lot of people came to PS4 from the 360 so it was more or less a new game for a number of people, in the same way Pikmin 3 will be a new game to most Switch owners

People did criticize it and at least TLOU was a much more recent game. It's worse to port a seven year old game and charge 60 dollars. Either way, saying it was bad when Sony did it just means it's bad here no?

Wariobenotware

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
A seven year old game with all the DLC included?

Yeah., I think Era has been bery anti-Nintendo as of late.

Not sure how including worthless DLC makes this any better but OK.

Also there is no "Anti-Nintendo" agenda going on. This is just a scummy practice by Nintendo and others are right to point it out.

Maybe there was a substantially amount of work done to this port with gameplay changes that could justify this price but i doubt it.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
One of these days, Nintendo will do a "value" pack for $60.

Metroid Prime Trilogy was over 10 years ago.
I know, I really wish there were more bundles with all content on disk/cartidge.
I mean, I get why they don't, but it would be nice. Pikmin Trilogy + those Pikmin Short Movies that released on 3DS & Wii U? Now that'd be cool.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Is it confirmed there are no visual improvements? And are pointer controls confirmed?

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Sony did a full remake of Shadow of the Colossus, for the ground up for PS4 and charged 40 dollars for it. If we're going to throw around anti-consumer, charging the same price or more in some cases for ported content should be up there. And Nintendo has been guilty of this more than once.
This is not anti-consumer, and again the reason is $60 is because they know the majority will still buy it at that price, plus Sony always discounts the price soon unlike Nintendo

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Also there is no "Anti-Nintendo" agenda going on. This is just a scummy practice by Nintendo and others are right to point it out.

Maybe there was a substantially amount of work done to this port with gameplay changes that could justify this price but i doubt it.

They added a bunch of new content to it, a co-op mode to the story, all the previous DLC, and are porting it to a new console. That's a pretty normal amount of content to get in a rerelease at full price

SiG

Oct 25, 2017

I don't get why Sony can get away with it with their TLoU Rerelease on PS4, but Pikmin 3 can't?

There definitely is an anti-Nintendo agenda here.