• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
I'm new to Pikmin and am basically unable to walk straight forward. Is that just how the controls are or am I experiencing a bug?

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Incredible. It's a little discombobulated in the beginning since player two plays as a twin ghost of Alph, but once you get Brittany then each player naturally gets their own explorer.

Don't forget to try out the super fun co-op mission mode level with her.
Thanks for the impressions! Will give it a go this weekend.

ryechu

Oct 25, 2017
Played around on Mission Mode a bit with gyro controls for the pointer. It's...a bit finnicky; feels like I constantly need to reset the cursor position, and it frequently drifts a little bit while I'm trying to aim at something which makes me overshoot or undershoot my Pikmin toss. Feels like they could've made the targeting a little more forgiving for that reason. I played the Wii U version entirely on the GamePad with the stylus controls my first time, and have used the Wii Remote+GamePad set-up on occasion, and this doesn't feel as good as either of those. Still, the core of Pikmin 3 is really good; those of you who haven't played it before are in for a treat.
Yes I noticed after a few minutes of playing that the cursor seems to drift its set point upwards. I figured that I would either need to get used to using R between every couple of orders or switch control schemes. I switched to the Stick mode + Gyro instead of Pointer mode and have been doing fine spamming lock on and the new charge. After a few tries I was able to beat Mission mode with 2 minutes left on the clock. It'll do.

Raistlin Majere

Alt account
Banned
Sep 16, 2020
I enjoyed the demo, but Nintendo does not deserve $80 for this game. Zero effort in making any kind of visual upgrades. This should have been $40 at the very most.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
I really wish it would control like a twinstick shooter. I don't like that the cursor is tied to movement. If I were to make this work, I would probably remap the camera reset to L3 and lock on to R3. This would allow for left and right camera rotation for the triggers. Then the cursor could be controlled by the right stick with movement to the left.

I don't know. I've always had this sort of issue with Pikmin 3 that I don't remember having with Pikmin 1 and 2.

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish it would control like a twinstick shooter. I don't like that the cursor is tied to movement. If I were to make this work, I would probably remap the camera reset to L3 and lock on to R3. This would allow for left and right camera rotation for the triggers. Then the cursor could be controlled by the right stick with movement to the left.

I don't know. I've always had this sort of issue with Pikmin 3 that I don't remember having with Pikmin 1 and 2.
fwiw playing with a pro controller with gyro set to pointer mode has been really comfortable for me

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Watching the GameXplain comparison video, the overall image quality looks sharper and some textures have been improved/changed.

We haven't had any official details on the visuals?

safety_lite

Jan 16, 2018
Chicago, IL
had some free time to replay the demo in handheld mode today with the gyro cursor mode, and I think this might be my preferred control option.
I only got to play the original back On The Gamecube and I am so excited to jump back into this series with P3D. I've wanted to play this for years!

JSG87

Mar 13, 2018
Ayr, Scotland
So, I downloaded the demo, proceeded to start playing it and then deleted it before I started 😂 it looks really good so I don't wanna play the demo and chance getting bored before it officially releases. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Nov 27, 2017
California
I like the rush attack thing, is that new?
Pikmin 3 was fantastic when I played it all those years ago so I'm glad new people will get a chance to play it

hopefully sales are good so we get 4 and 1/2 eventually

Wii Tank

Oct 27, 2017
Playing the demo takes me back to a really nice experience I had at PAX. Pikmin 3 had come out a little while earlier and they had a demo unit for the first mission mode level. I made it my goal to get the top score for each day and on the last day the Nintendo reps recognized me and gave me a Luigi hat and mustache for the year of Luigi.

Definitely play the mission mode if you haven't already. Super fun planning out strategies to collect everything

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Watching the GameXplain comparison video, the overall image quality looks sharper and some textures have been improved/changed.

We haven't had any official details on the visuals?

I keep seeing references to 720p docked and I just can't make any sense of it. From what I could find it ran at 720/30 on Wii U.

This sounds petty but I'm second guessing buying it buying it - going to give the demo a shot on my TV and see for myself

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I keep seeing references to 720p docked and I just can't make any sense of it. From what I could find it ran at 720/30 on Wii U.

This sounds petty but I'm second guessing buying it buying it - going to give the demo a shot on my TV and see for myself
Probably adding coop to the campaign ate up any extra headroom the switch afforded

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Probably adding coop to the campaign ate up any extra headroom the switch afforded

I don't mind if they run in 720p in Coop - but I don't see why that needs to impact single player. :/

Edit: I really think all this talk about DLSS, 4K, Switch Pro, Series X|S, PS5, etc has really started to make me a tad intollerant of the idea of sub 1080p on my TV

Last edited:

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't planning on buying it, having already played it on WiiU (but I did not finish back then), the demo reminded me how charming that game is. Might pick up or ask for it as a Xmas gift.

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So, what kinda game is this? Is it a puzzle game? Resource management? Also, what's the challenge like? From what I've seen it seems like it might be easy.

If you like challenges, try beating the game without losing a single Pikmin!

Also, apparently they added difficulty modes in this version.

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
Played the demo in co-op and I love it! I played through Pikmin 1 on Wii and did Pikmin 2 back in college, although I gave up on the "True ending".

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind if they run in 720p in Coop - but I don't see why that needs to impact single player. :/

Edit: I really think all this talk about DLSS, 4K, Switch Pro, Series X|S, PS5, etc has really started to make me a tad intollerant of the idea of sub 1080p on my TV
I mean the entire (former) single player is now coopable

CaVaYeRo

Oct 31, 2017
I'm not sure about the resolution - let's wait until someone counts the pixels... the drop-in drop-out argument would make sense, but why not having single player at 1080p and then down resing it to 720p when a second player joins? And afaik Nintendo doesn't usually release 1080p official screens for 720p games.

What I'm more concerned about is, as said, the gyro control issues.

Also, how do you throw player 2-controlled partner? Say I'm playing with Alph and a second player is controlling Brittany and I want them to reach higher ground. Think I missed that lol.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
That's great and all but it doesn't change anything for me? It's not uncommon for a game to run worse in split screen vs not.
I'm not excusing it or saying it's not a valid complaint, just speculating as to a possible reason. Coop is drop-in, so it makes sense that docked resolution wouldn't dynamically adjust.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I played the demo last night with my SO and we had a blast. We platinumed together all the missions on the Wii U version, so it was so nice remembering the feeling while testing the one mission on the demo. It will be also nice that we get to play through the story together this time.

I was playing this on a 4k screen but honestly the resolution didn't bother me that much. The pikmins and the fruits are still very cute.

One grip that I have is that you can't seem to set up different control methods for the 2 players, for example she doesn't like the gyro with cursor and I prefer it and we had both to play with gyro and cursor as a compromise.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played through the 3 days and mission mode and enjoyed it a lot. This was already a must buy for me since I was a big fan of Pikmin 1/2 back in the GCN days, but it's nice to confirm that this game seems to be as good (if not better?) than the first two games.

What's up with so many Nintendo games never having basic audio options though? I was really hoping to be able to lower the SE audio so the music is more prominent. The Pikmin noises and whistling is way too loud.

Also the resolution/textures looks pretty bad on my TV, but whatever it's tolerable. Handheld wasn't so bad.

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
I ended up doing a full reset of the system and that fixed my analog stick problem.

As for the game itself, I'm on day 3 and really enjoying it. Only cons so far are the resolution and having to reset the gyro so often - I might just switch to normal gamepad controls.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Just hooked my Wii U up again to play some Pikmin 3 but it turns out I DON'T have the mission mode DLC for it. :(
Not sure if those Club Nintendo freebies expired before I could buy them or if I just didn't redeem them in time.

In that case I think I am just going to get this Switch edition. For one thing, I forgot how awful the Wii U Gamepad's screen in. The low resolution combined with the wireless streaming makes it look pretty rough, especially for a game with a lot of tiny stuff like Pikmin 3.
Even with Switch on TV is still 720p, the handheld resolution being 720p is a big enough improvement along with the mission mode DLC, co-op, and the new prologue+epilogue DLC.

Thankfully if I trade in Pikmin 3 Wii U and a few other games I've lost interest in I should have enough for Pikmin 3 Switch.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Finished the hard mode in the demo.
Still on day 3, I think once you actually engage with the mechanics like the rush attack the game is way easier.
I still remember my 1st time with the boss back on WiiU being a mess and this was really easy.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly feeling letdown since I learned this is 720p/30fps and not 1080p/60fps. It just feels like such a cheap move.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
I am enjoying it, but I am seriously missing the rich controls they added into the WiiU version.

Oct 27, 2017
Tried the demo this morning on the Lite, it's....fine? Doesn't really grab me. I think it looks graphically really bland and I dislike the design of the UI which doesn't help.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
If it's 720p handheld, 720p docked must be some weird oversight, hopefully just for the demo. If coop is knocking the resolution down docked even when not in use, I don't know why that wouldn't also be true for handheld.

Oct 27, 2017
Tried this out with my brother. It's pretty nice. We used to play "co-op" in the original release where he'd handle the gamepad stuff like checking the map and ordering captains around, but straight up splitscreen multiplayer is great.

Anyway, one of my joycons has a stick problem where it sometimes doesn't register as having been pushed all the way to the left, so it kinda makes movement a bit... unreliable. Maybe recalibrating the stick might fix it.

Oct 27, 2017
played the entire demo in co-op last night with drinks. super fun. we kept dreading when the demo would end

would rather have had a proper sequel, but hey i'll take this too

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Took about an hour to beat, seems fun enough so i'll give the full game a try

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Couldn't wait to try the demo out - it's fantastic. I still far prefer 2 and would have preferred a sequel, but it's incredibly charming and so much fun to play. Controls have been adapted perfectly. The Piklopedia makes me so happy, looking forward to the other new stuff in the full game.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I played the demo last night and really enjoyed it. Today I hope to play it in co-op mode with the bf to see how that goes.

TanookiTom

Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
After having watched some trailers for Deluxe, I found myself disappointed with the graphics. I remember having been quite impressed with it on the WiiU, but now it seemed dated.
Having said that, now after having played the demo, I can say that it looks much better in action on my (4K) TV than it did in the videos. Can't say anything about pixel count, but the game does hold up well.

I will double dip because I think this game is simply perfect for a chill and cosy coop experience this fall/winter. Absolutely loved the split-screen gameplay as one gripe I had with the game was the necessity to constantly switch around characters/Pikmin types. Can't wait!

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
Tried the gyro control and I think it's really intuitive, kinda like the controls for Mario Galaxy. I really hated the Wii controls on Mario Galaxy and the gyro controls is a huge improvement.

Mission mode is really fun. I've never seen my kid this excited for a game before. Co-op mode is a great addition. Can't wait to play the final game. I hope there'll eventually be Pikmin 4. Such a great series.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the demo, but Nintendo does not deserve $80 for this game. Zero effort in making any kind of visual upgrades. This should have been $40 at the very most.
Good thing they aren't asking for $80 then, unless you're in Canada or Australia or something? In which case lol at $40 for a "complete" edition of a game including all previous DLC as well as new modes that you've glossed over because you didn't notice the visual upgrades they made