• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sliver

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of good ones in here but this one always sticks out in my mind

MOr0pDU.jpg

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I really wanted a dog as a kid, so I just watched a ton of movies with dogs in them, and this always stuck out (and yes I watched it a ton). Anyone else have a "Family" genre in their rentals? Like, mostly PG-ish live-action movies? I must've rented everything out of it :x I still remember exactly where this was on the shelf, too.

51KTJX0YHGL._AC_SY445_.jpg

IronRinn

Oct 25, 2017
51T18W34X0L.jpg

Haven't thought about this for years and still haven't seen it, which I should really do considering the director and the cast.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I've got a few , I used to be frightened and curious of the horror VHS covers I used to see at the video store. Shoutout to West Coast Video and My time Video.

c2e85c9d36e4ef2cb3540199b4bf2900.jpg

2473-1.jpg

dalq

Feb 13, 2018
Not sure if other countries had this box, but I remember like it was yesterday the day I saw this on shelves. Had no idea what Jurassic Park was but I knew I had to watch it.
M215Q1G.png

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
It's a mix of genuinely great cover art and that aisle being the forbidden fruit when you were a kid. So many horror movie posters are seared into my memory.

That's kind of what I was thinking. When I was really little, the idea of horror movies scared me, before I even watched any (I guess the pre-emptive idea that I'd be scared?) But the VHS covers did something neat with drawing in eyes, whether it was for interest, or something creepy/shocking that plenty of us couldn't get out of our minds (and many DID just go ahead and rent because they were curious). Even though I was creeped out, I was also fascinated/interested at the same time... but those darn Child's Play 1-3 covers ALWAYS got to me, and I know this was not an uncommon thing either. I had to avoid the entire horror section and look away due to those :/

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised nobody posted Akira or Ninja Scrolls yet. Or did US Blockbusters not have an Anime section?

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Surprised nobody posted Akira or Ninja Scrolls yet. Or did US Blockbusters not have an Anime section?

Not every rental was a Blockbuster, either. Some of us smaller towns only had family-owned spots, and they always varied with what they had. The one nearest to me only had Princess Mononoke (which I remember eyeing for years, knowing nothing about, and didn't watch for years later), Kiki's Delivery Service, and My Neighbor Totoro. That was it. The bigger one across town DID have a "Japanimation" section, with a lot more obscure VHS of stuff like Lupin III TV (the 2 eps Miyazaki directed), Nadia: Secret of the Blue Water, and then a bunch of stuff from Manga, but I didn't start even going here till the early 2000s when I even knew they was more anime beyond tv.

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's kind of what I was thinking. When I was really little, the idea of horror movies scared me, before I even watched any (I guess the pre-emptive idea that I'd be scared?) But the VHS covers did something neat with drawing in eyes, whether it was for interest, or something creepy/shocking that plenty of us couldn't get out of our minds (and many DID just go ahead and rent because they were curious). Even though I was creeped out, I was also fascinated/interested at the same time...

I was about to post something similar. I was ultra curious about these horror movies but was way too chicken to actually ask to rent them and then watch them, lol. but I always walked down the horror aisle and looked at them, and most of the covers are burned into my brain. the front and back covers to the Friday the 13th movies always creeped me out as a kid.

little did I know at the time that they weren't all that scary, possibly because my first R+ rated movie was the benign looking Robocop, (THEY HAD TOYS) which scarred me and when i finally saw my first Friday the 13th movie it seemed tame in comparison

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely Godzilla movies. I actually still have many of them on VHS, and some are taped copies from Blockbuster.

1*svXOu5kFet_8h6gkW21Y3g.jpeg

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I was about to post something similar. I was ultra curious about these horror movies but was way too chicken to actually ask to rent them and then watch them, lol. but I always walked down the horror aisle and looked at them, and most of the covers are burned into my brain. the front and back covers to the Friday the 13th movies always creeped me out as a kid.

little did I know at the time that they weren't all that scary, possibly because my first R+ rated movie was the benign looking Robocop, (THEY HAD TOYS) which scarred me and when i finally saw my first Friday the 13th movie it seemed tame in comparison

Yeah I saw tons later on as I got older (started with more super tame ones, usually involving giant animals like Jaws and Lake Placid), and realized how silly it was growing up :p ...Child's Play is still on my blacklist, I still refuse to see any of those.

Cdammen

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Troma covers were great. Saw this when I was five or something. Scared me good even though it was mostly a spoof.

91W8WqkEXkL._SL1500_.jpg

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
ZXTXJH.jpg

I always remember seeing this tape at my local video store and being deeply intrigued and yet also repelled because all that I "knew" about the film is that it was supposedly one of the most shocking movies of all time! Imagine my surprise years later when I finally saw it and realized that, despite how great it was, its actually quite tame, relatively speaking...

Jeez, I actually still have my copy of this VHS sitting on my shelf from when I was a kid...

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Never seen it (and I love Horror), but it was a movie called Rest in Pieces:
MV5BZDVlYjg2ZmMtN2QwYy00MjQzLThiOTgtMzgxMGQ5ZTAyOTcxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTUxNzAwODE@._V1_.jpg

I just always remember seeing this video case, the cover with the zombie guy reaching towards you and the name "Rest in Pieces". Hell, the name "Rest in Pieces" always stuck with me as being a fuckin' cool name for a horror movie.

Other titles coming in close:

Children of the Corn
26699_img541.jpg

A Nightmare on Elm Street
nightmare+on+elm+street.png

The Chilling
18133_chilling-coyote1%2520%2528VHSCollector.com%2529%2520.jpg

Last edited:

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
06M3xVJ.png

I remember walking Blockbuster as a kid in the late 90s and remembering this always staring back at me, with this vague sense of unease.

So I guess it did a good job if I remember it from a sea of hundreds of VHSes.

honestly same and I am kinda shook someone else had this same thought. This shit freaked me out as a kid and I wouldn't watch the Michael Keaton family film that came out like a year later because I thought it was related to this.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
06M3xVJ.png

I remember walking Blockbuster as a kid in the late 90s and remembering this always staring back at me, with this vague sense of unease.

Came to post this. I remember it had a lenticular cover too which helped it stand out.

Nov 8, 2017
I don't know the exact covers, but horror movies in general used to stay with me because they were often gruesome and memorable covers and I was a bit too young to be looking in that section but would be morbidly curious just to glance at the covers before darting back to the section I was supposed to be in.

Memorable ones include various Wishmaster, Hellraiser and Chucky covers, but again I don't specifically remember which they were.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
People REALLY remember Ghoulies, huh? Since I avoided most of the horror section, I didn't come across this one, but it is appealing to kids with a monster coming out of a toilet. Watching a movie review on it (probably Cinemassacre) there was something about people being disappointed that toilet scene wasn't in the movie like on the poster, so they added it in last minute. Toilets on movie posters - they sell!

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
06M3xVJ.png

FUCK THIS SCARY ASS SHIT SCARING ME WHEN IM TRYING TO RENT TARZAN UNTAMED