• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

18zmoyztm8yh6gif.gif

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I was just about to come in here and wonder why people hate the alien comics, and of course the artist is gonna stir up some controversy on the same day. Damn shame too, someone mentioned that its the same joke with no substance, but come on. A joke could be repeated multiple times but with wildly different context and would still be funny each and every time.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I was just about to come in here and wonder why people hate the alien comics, and of course the artist is gonna stir up some controversy on the same day. Damn shame too, someone mentioned that its the same joke with no substance, but come on. A joke could be repeated multiple times but with wildly different context and would still be funny each and every time.
To be fair, that post of his is from last year. It predates the popularity of his shitty comic.

ara

Oct 26, 2017

Well, comedy is pretty dang subjective. I just don't think repeating the same joke over and over again is funny unless the joke(s) make use of the repetition in one way or another, which is not the case here, in my opinion. The context is not wildly different either, it's always the same: inane observations of human interactions and everyday things.

I stand with the #bigbangtheoryofcomicstrips folk!

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Well, comedy is pretty dang subjective. I just don't think repeating the same joke over and over again is funny unless the joke(s) make use of the repetition in one way or another, which is not the case here, in my opinion. The context is not wildly different either, it's always the same: inane observations of human interactions and everyday things.

I stand with the #bigbangtheoryofcomicstrips folk!

I love the contrast of you telling people that repeating the same joke over and over isn't funny while repeating the 'it's the Big Bang Theory of comics!' line. Also in the case of these comics it's the format which is repeated, the joke is in the individual observation being commented on in each strip.

I know it's fun to be the one to 'gotcha!' someone whose work you don't like but guys, do try and take the three seconds it takes to see that what he posted was two years ago and was simply pointing to his partner's post, which is not what the strip above is critical of at all.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I love the contrast of you telling people that repeating the same joke over and over isn't funny while repeating the 'it's the Big Bang Theory of comics!' line. Also in the case of these comics it's the format which is repeated, the joke is in the individual observation being commented on in each strip.

I know it's fun to be the one to 'gotcha!' someone whose work you don't like but guys, do try and take the three seconds it takes to see that what he posted was two years ago and was simply pointing to his partner's post, which is not what the strip above is critical of at all.

I thought the hashtag and exclamation mark made it obvious that line was super tongue-in-cheek lol, I knew very well what I was doing. I also could not be clearer about the comedy being subjective part and me saying I don't find repeating jokes funny, not that it in itself couldn't be funny. We're talking about a comic strip online, no need to be so hostile.

I also disagree with the bolded, but you don't seem too interested in actually talking about this. It's almost like you just wanted to gotcha me.

e: my man couldn't even apologize for the hostility

Last edited:

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
That dude milked the FUCK out of the alien comics, if he stretched it out he could have gone at least a couple years before declining and then getting cancelled

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I still can't believe no one looked at the racial dynamics there and thought it was a good idea.

Oct 26, 2017
It's more that the situations the joke was getting applied to were originally quite amusing, like the concept of getting a suntan but as they were getting churned out they just became more and more banal.

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
User warned: inappropriate content (animal suffering)
Yeah, but i got a bootleg Tamagotchi, and only when it wasn't cool anymore. =[

[mod edit: inappropriate images removed]

Last edited by a moderator:

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Ooof, I was introduced to the rabbithole that is bertstrips today, and its humor is appalling. There was only one acceptable pic and its humor is pretty eh:
WSgXQ7P_d.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.