• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
3e57b54bfc0b682d.jpg

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
I knew someone from the UK made that the second they showed MSN messenger. Everyone in the US used AIM

Canada was big into MSN too. Wouldn't be surprised if it was another one of those things where the rest of the world was on MSN, and just the USA was on AIM.

I mean, it is America Online...so I doubt the rest of the world would be using AIM. Haha.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Canada was big into MSN too. Wouldn't be surprised if it was another one of those things where the rest of the world was on MSN, and just the USA was on AIM.

I mean, it is America Online...so I doubt the rest of the world would be using AIM. Haha.

AOL was big in Germany with dial-ups. Running gag was, that you could build anything out of the advertisement CD's that were thrown in the mail every few months. Also had a big TV ad campaign with the then-Tennis-Superstar Boris Becker.

Oct 27, 2017

MSN Messenger was huge in Canada. I was in the prime era for that and I don't know a single person who used AIM.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
AOL was big in Germany with dial-ups. Running gag was, that you could build anything out of the advertisement CD's that were thrown in the mail every few months. Also had a big TV ad campaign with the then-Tennis-Superstar Boris Becker.

Keep being weird Germany! Haha wtf are they getting AOL discs out there? Haha

MSN Messenger was huge in Canada. I was in the prime era for that and I don't know a single person who used AIM.

Yup, me and all my friends here used MSN....well and the big nerdy ones used ICQ too. Which was awesome. Offline messages!

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
ICQ Was the shit, MSN messenger everyone used (here in Canada), and I had an AIM Address for my american pals.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I'm an American that used MSN and not AIM :/
I think MSN was the big thing amongst my friends.

But we were really far North, so pretty much Canada.

MrMysterio

Oct 25, 2017
As a teenager I had a great time handing out AOL CDs in front of the Media Markt.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto

AIM was still used a lot in Canada as well though. Once MSN came out everyone I knew always used both. I imagine that was largely because we wanted to keep in contact with our American friends though who wouldn't switch. A lot of people had ICQ as well but it totally disappeared when MSN came out. Funny thing about AIM is that people in the US seemed to use it for a LONG time, atleast in California. I remember going to E3 around 2011 and many of the Devs I talked to would ask me for my AIM address and were surprised that I stopped using it in like 2007. Actually thinking back now the interview for my first game job was through AIM.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
I still remember my icq number: 14184943 lol probably still could guess the password, since it was a girl's name I had a crush on. Ahhhh, to be 14 again! Lol

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, just tried logging in to icq and my profile still works. That's some amazing web retention! I probably haven't logged into icq in 17 years...

X90QrjH.png

Deleted member 279

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ICQ was so difficult for me to comprehend back in the day. I remember there were secret servers with the craziest P2P piracy

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the nostalgia trip, I had to see if I still remembered my number/pass. I'm amazed I still do!

Status
Not open for further replies.