• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
ea6c61e4d905ad64.jpg
But aren't they travelling at relativistic speeds? At relativistic speeds, the interstellar medium (mostly very diffuse hydrogen and helium at a density of about one atom per cubic centimetre) becomes a torrent of particles coming at you at relativistic speeds in the opposite direction, which will cause drag and stress on your ship. So there actually are outside forces acting upon the ship while in warp.

If you assume that warp in Star Trek works by pinching the space in front of the ship and expanding the space behind it, it doesn't change the fact that the interstellar particles will still move through the warped space. Even if they collect in a bunch at the front of the moving warp bubble, you will still eventually be hit by stray radiating particles because this will coalesce into a dense pack of hydrogen and helium that will start to fuse because of extreme temperature and pressure. You'll essentially have a small sub in front of you.

Not to mention Hawking radiation coming at you from the back. As you're going faster than light, any light coming at you from behind will get red shifted to effectively become an event horizon. That's because any light from the back won't be able to catch up to you and quantum fluctuations at the edge of your warp bubble will create paired particles that won't be able to annihilate each other before the back one escapes your warp bubble. Apparently the temperature from this radiation asymptotically approaches the Planck temperature as you go faster, and makes the inside of the sun look like Antarctica.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
But aren't they travelling at relativistic speeds? At relativistic speeds, the interstellar medium (mostly very diffuse hydrogen and helium at a density of about one atom per cubic centimetre) becomes a torrent of particles coming at you at relativistic speeds in the opposite direction, which will cause drag and stress on your ship. So there actually are outside forces acting upon the ship while in warp.

If you assume that warp in Star Trek works by pinching the space in front of the ship and expanding the space behind it, it doesn't change the fact that the interstellar particles will still move through the warped space. Even if they collect in a bunch at the front of the moving warp bubble, you will still eventually be hit by stray radiating particles because this will coalesce into a dense pack of hydrogen and helium that will start to fuse because of extreme temperature and pressure. You'll essentially have a small sub in front of you.

Not to mention Hawking radiation coming at you from the back. As you're going faster than light, any light coming at you from behind will get red shifted to effectively become an event horizon. That's because any light from the back won't be able to catch up to you and quantum fluctuations at the edge of your warp bubble will create paired particles that won't be able to annihilate each other before the back one escapes your warp bubble. Apparently the temperature from this radiation asymptotically approaches the Planck temperature as you go faster, and makes the inside of the sun look like Antarctica.

3gnxFuE.jpg

Last edited:

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
But aren't they travelling at relativistic speeds?

Actually, no.

Relativistic speeds are those close enough to the speed of light to observe relativistic effects.

Warp speed is FTL (faster than light). Relativity no longer applies, or else they'd always be going backwards in time.

However, the point still stands that warp engines don't exactly follow the rules of thrust, so the meme is still stupid. Impulse drive probably would though.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
why can't i see this thread on ot anymore? i realized this was a thing because i could not see the RGB thread.

edit: dammit i didn't know that ignoring the ot button meant ignoring all threads on here with ot on them. i thought i would not see the ot button on threads anymore.

Last edited:

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Actually, no.

Relativistic speeds are those close enough to the speed of light to observe relativistic effects.

Warp speed is FTL (faster than light). Relativity no longer applies, or else they'd always be going backwards in time.

However, the point still stands that warp engines don't exactly follow the rules of thrust, so the meme is still stupid. Impulse drive probably would though.
Right. If you turned of the Warp Engine the warp bubble stops existing, thus they'd drop out of warp.

That meme is as silly as the transporter one. It thinks it's clever when really it just shows the only thing about Star Trek is pop culture osmosis.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, no.

None of what I said pertained to thrust (or relativity).

My points about creating a tiny sun in front and a tiny black hole behind still stand - the warped space is still moving, which means it catches interstellar particles in front and doesn't allow particles created by quantum fluctuation to be destroyed at the back. That causes stress on the (stationary relative to its bubble) ship while the warp drive is turned on. When you turn it off though, you stop moving FTL and are no longer in warp.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
None of what I said pertained to thrust.

My points about creating a tiny sun in front and a tiny black hole behind still stand - the warped space is still moving, which means it catches interstellar particles in front and doesn't allow particles created by quantum fluctuation to be destroyed at the back. That causes stress on the (stationary relative to its bubble) ship while the warp drive is turned on. When you turn it off though, you stop moving FTL and are no longer in warp.

The meme was about thrust, not what you said. I was saying that even though I disagree with your particular explanation, the meme is still stupid.

But Warp Drive also does not use black holes.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
The meme was about thrust, not what you said. I was saying that even though I disagree with your particular explanation, the meme is still stupid.

But Warp Drive also does not use black holes.
It doesn't use black holes, but it does effectively creates an event horizon when you look behind your ship - light can't catch up with you. When you get an event horizon, you get Hawking radiation.

Same with the bunched up interstellar particles at the front - go fast enough and you catch them in the pinched space in front, which compresses the gas and you get a small sun in front of you.

accx

Oct 28, 2017
@Kyuogar all your posts never plays the audio for me and i don't know why and it's starting to become a serious problem and i have zero energy for figuring out how to fix it.

plz send help

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
@Kyuogar all your posts never plays the audio for me and i don't know why and it's starting to become a serious problem and i have zero energy for figuring out how to fix it.

plz send help

Dunno why that is. Does anyone else have problems? did you check if the audio button on the video is active? Or maybe some OS fuckery where the browser or videos in a browser are muted in the audio settings? Do you use a separate program to manage audio levels?

accx

Oct 28, 2017
Dunno why that is. Does anyone else have problems? did you check if the audio button on the video is active? Or maybe some OS fuckery where the browser or videos in a browser are muted in the audio settings? Do you use a separate program to manage audio levels?
probably some addon in edge thats fucking with it. my bluetooth headset reacts as if sound is active but no sound. chrome works fine. ill figure it out.
i think even edge shows the audio icon but no dice. Not all extensions that i use in chrome after i switched has been working 100% so its probably that.
I also tried going directly to the website but again, no dice. it's strange.
Thanks for posting though! love the animal posts <3

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
probably some addon in edge thats fucking with it. my bluetooth headset reacts as if sound is active but no sound. chrome works fine. ill figure it out.
i think even edge shows the audio icon but no dice. Not all extensions that i use in chrome after i switched has been working 100% so its probably that.
I also tried going directly to the website but again, no dice. it's strange.
Thanks for posting though! love the animal posts <3

:>
Have some more. Special 4-in-1 post

Oct 26, 2017

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.