• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of joy this thread title brought me the moment I saw it is almost funny. This is the best news I've seen in weeks. After not being into Murder By Numbers at all, and having my Picross 3D itch thoroughly scratched by Voxelgram (Picross 3D fans do NOT sleep on that! Getting used to the controls takes a bit but it's worth it! They also added a bunch of puzzles via free update recently!) I'm ready for some GOOD ASS 2D PICROSS in the way that only the Picross Bosses at Jupiter can give me!

screenshots
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
picross-s4-switch-scrnhktg.jpg

picross-s4-switch-scrfxjjb.jpg

picross-s4-switch-scrlpjff.jpg

picross-s4-switch-scr6bkaq.jpg

picross-s4-switch-scrg2kch.jpg

picross-s4-switch-scrdrjoe.jpg

004_ow2kof.jpg

014_o03j7r.jpg

005_orkjqq.jpg

006_o3zjop.jpg

008_orajfq.jpg

009_ojbk8q.jpg

010_o78k86.jpg

011_ok0jfg.jpg

012_ogjjkx.jpg

015_oqikmn.jpg

Last edited:
details
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
- the price is 1,000 yen, which likely means 10 bucks/euros
- there's a demo on the eshop
- S, S2 and S3 will be 20% off from april 16th to 30th
- normal, mega, color and clip modes return
- 150 normal, 150 mega (same puzzles as normal), 30 color, and 150 clip puzzles
- there will be two 30x30 puzzles and three 40x30 puzzles, but you need the save data for S, S2 and S3 to unlock the 40x30 puzzles.

Last edited:

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Still only 300 normal, 150 clip, and 30 color? I love these games, but Jupiter doesn't do much to stretch themselves do they? Would love to see that Capcom mobile game come to Switch and really push Jupiter to do more.

daripad

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
30Ă—30 holy OMG

When do these games release in the west usually? Same week as Japan?

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still only 300 normal, 150 clip, and 30 color?
yeah, same as S3. i was hoping there'd be more color puzzles this time, they're really fun
still, they're adding a new mode in each game and increasing the number of puzzles that way. they're still offering a crazy amount of content for the price, this is like 40+ hours of picross.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Still only 300 normal, 150 clip, and 30 color? I love these games, but Jupiter doesn't do much to stretch themselves do they? Would love to see that Capcom mobile game come to Switch and really push Jupiter to do more.
I feel this is a little unfair. I mean, the games are $10 which, compared to other video games, is low. I think the amount of content you get for the price is more than fair.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
40x30, huh? I guess I'll be staring at the screen doing nothing for tens of hours more.

daripad

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I feel this is a little unfair. I mean, the games are $10 which, compared to other video games, is low. I think the amount of content you get for the price is more than fair.

Considering how many Picross clones have appeared, with even less content and worse presentation and UI, at the same price, yeah, Jupiter gets my money

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
exactly, also important to note that no matter how many clones pop up none of them can match jupiter's UI and presentation.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
exactly, also important to note that no matter how many clones pop up none of them can match jupiter's UI and presentation.
Honestly, I had no idea just how tight Jupiter's Picross games were until I played another recently released story-based Picross game and was completely turned off by it's much-less polished controls, to the point where I just straight up dropped it. I never would have told you control tightness matters in a Picross game but now that I've seen it done wrong, I am so much more grateful of Jupiter for getting it so so so right.

I will defend Voxelgram though because I found it easy to get used to those controls pretty quickly, and I can excuse it to an extent because there's a whole third dimension to deal with there.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I find the core concept of these fun and I pick it up every once in a while, I still have dozens and dozens of puzzles left to do for S2 so it would be pretty irresponsible to pick this up while still having work to do. In lieu of some cool new feature or mode, etc. Went though the same consideration when S3 came out.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Picross is my favorite Puzzler ever... 3D on DS was awesome. Feels like I have to get a Switch just for these kinds of games.

Oct 27, 2017
- the price is 1,000 yen, which likely means 10 bucks/euros
- there's a demo on the japanese eshop
- S, S2 and S3 will be 20% off from april 16th to 30th
- normal, mega, color and clip modes return
- 150 normal, 150 mega (same puzzles as normal), 30 color, and 150 clip puzzles
- there will be two 30x30 puzzles and three 40x30 puzzles, but you need the save data for S, S2 and S3 to unlock the 40x30 puzzles.
That last point is too bad. The games magazine I get every month has at least a few picross puzzles of that size, it's the one thing holding me back from getting on board with the non-3d picrosses.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mmh should I just buy S4 or one of the previous ones at a discount? I have yet to get a Picross on Switch.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Any chance of a physical copy?? Already playing Murder by Numbers, Sudoku, Brain Age and soon to be Picross

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
It's not unfair at all if you're a nonogram fan that plays mobile games. What you get for 99 cents on mobile is so much more than this(and their touch interface is far better than controller inputs). I love Jupiter's UI/controls compared to others on console, but it's sad that if you asked me to predict what was going to be in S4, I could have told you 99 percent of it.

If they're going to be just yearly releases, I'd love for them to push themselves harder, even if that means charging more and thus giving us more. I hate that half of the 300 advertised puzzles are just the same puzzles presented again in "mega picross" mode, which after all these years is still just an incredibly tedious and uninspiring way to play Picross. Color Picross was a great addition last year, but with just 30 puzzles once again, they're not really pushing that mode. They're finally upping the size of the puzzles, but only offering 2 of them (a couple more if you have the older games).Jupiter has the better UI/controls of Switch nonogram games, but they've had it for years. Other games best them though when it comes to presenting the final picture and puzzle size. In that regard they're way behind, with HAL being the best (3D Picross).

Mmh should I just buy S4 or one of the previous ones at a discount? I have yet to get a Picross on Switch.

If money is an issue, get Picross S3 on sale. It's essentially the same as S4 minus one giant puzzle. If money isn't an issue, get all of them. They're all great time wasters/relaxers.

Iceberg

Oct 28, 2017
I knew my Japanese account on the Switch would be useful sooner or later.. Picross S4 demo, here I go!

Great, demo features 3 picross puzzles, 3 megapicross, 3 color picross, 1 extra picross (30x30) and it's completely translated to your Switch language setting (Spanish in my case)

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
depends, how much do you like picross? if you're already a picross addict you'll probably wanna get them all and if that's the case you should start with the first one. if not, just get the upcoming one as it has the most content

Last edited:

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
depends, how much do you like picross? if you're already a picross addict you'll probably wanna get them all and of that's the case you should start with the first one. if not, just get the upcoming one as it has the most content

I like Picross, not an addict but I've enjoyed the Twilight Princess one and the free2play Konami one on mobile.

If money is an issue, get Picross S3 on sale. It's essentially the same as S4 minus one giant puzzle. If money isn't an issue, get all of them. They're all great time wasters/relaxers.

Money isn't an issue, I just wonder which one start with. Or like if the newest one makes the older obsolete.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like Picross, not an addict but I've enjoyed the Twilight Princess one and the free2play Konami one on mobile.
i say just go with the new one (S4). there's only 3 puzzles that you'll be locked out of for not having the old games (and there's like 40 hours worth of picross in there), and once you're done you can always go back to those games.

Or like if the newest one makes the older obsolete.
they don't necessarily make the older ones obsolete, it's just more picross and the content of the older games aren't included in the new ones (each one has a separate unique set of puzzles), but each game does introduce a new mode:

- S started with only normal and mega puzzles
- S2 added clip mode on top of those two
- S3 added color mode on tope of those
- S4 is adding exta mode

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020

Money isn't an issue, I just wonder which one start with. Or like if the newest one makes the older obsolete.
Picross 1 has only Picross and Mega Picross modes
Picross 2 introduces Clip Picross (make a bunch of small puzzles that when joined make one large picture)
Picross 3 adds 30 Color Picross puzzles
Picross 4 adds a couple larger than normal puzzles

A couple UI changes have occurred over the years, but overall they all feel and look the same. None of them make the others obsolete.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
I want those 40x30 puzzles now please.

Never seen a game that needed a trailer less.

"it's more picross. Just buy it."