• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i got stuck a few times and had to suspend and finish other puzzles, but i just finished it! i made some random assumptions and they lead to the solution. i'm afraid i have you beat by a few seconds :)

68c9caec-f4a5-4c4e-8bjjv3.jpeg
7686178464_fdc8ea66c7.jpg

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nomal mode done, clip mode next

8e05222a-41d8-4870-b1ak7e.jpeg

two more reviews

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/switch-eshop/picross_s3 (8/10)
At the end of the day, you probably already know if you're going to pick up this game or not; Picross S3 hasn't changed much from its predecessor and the same will likely be said about the inevitable Picross S4. That being said, we especially enjoyed the introduction of the Color Picross mode here, as it notably builds on the foundation of Picross in interesting and challenging ways, bringing something new to the arguably stale formula. Picross S3 is easily the best entry in the series on the Switch and it's one that we can easily recommend to both fans and newcomers alike. Naturally, those of you that have played the previous games will want to take a minute to ask yourself if you're down for another few hundred Picross puzzles, but this represents the most bang for your buck in this Switch sub-series yet and stands as an excellent example of how to do a puzzle game right.

https://www.vooks.net/picross-s3-switch-eshop-review/ (4/5)
Picross S3 is a welcome addition to the pantheon of Picross games. Colour Picross is great fun, there's some nice quality of life improvements, and for the same $15 you're getting 30 more puzzles than S2 and 180 more than S. Jupiter have always presented these with much more charm and polish than lesser companies and this one's no exception. Improvements could be made, but there's certainly nothing getting in the way of enjoying this one the same way you have enjoyed (or maybe will enjoy?) the 15 that came before.

Oct 25, 2017
I just bought this under the impression that your completed pictures finally animate. But five puzzles in, and the reward is still the ol' static image style we're used to.

Why did I think these were animated? Am I mixing S3 up with a different Picross game?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
clip mode done. playing color picross now, and it's really fun. i hope they bump the number of puzzles for S4, 30 is way too low.

b5a38872-4b08-42aa-99mkcr.jpeg

I just bought this under the impression that your completed pictures finally animate. But five puzzles in, and the reward is still the ol' static image style we're used to.

Why did I think these were animated? Am I mixing S3 up with a different Picross game?
only the 30 puzzles in the color picross mode animate after you finish them

Oct 27, 2017
Problem with Picross to me is that once you learn the mechanics, there's literally no difficulty. It just takes time to complete them, not brain power. My main issue is how literal effort they put into these things. When you can get 1000s of puzzles of more varying sizes than Nintendo offers for free on phones and tablets, it really shows how little goes into making these. At least with 3D Picross they tried something new.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Just one regular puzzle left: P116. Most of them were pretty easy this time around as I finished most of them within 10 minutes. Still better than S2, which had a number of stupidly hard puzzles.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Problem with Picross to me is that once you learn the mechanics, there's literally no difficulty. It just takes time to complete them, not brain power. My main issue is how literal effort they put into these things. When you can get 1000s of puzzles of more varying sizes than Nintendo offers for free on phones and tablets, it really shows how little goes into making these. At least with 3D Picross they tried something new.
for me, i look at them as 10 (or 9 or 8) dollar games that i can relax and play for ~40 hours. that's more time than i can get out of most $60 games. yeah the mechanics of picross don't offer anything new after you've learned all the tricks, but i still find it very relaxing to solve the puzzles. i know there are a ton of free picross games on phones but personally none of them feel as good to play, mostly cuz touch controls never feel right, and are a complete mess for bigger puzzles.

Just one regular puzzle left: P116. Most of them were pretty easy this time around as I finished most of them within 10 minutes. Still better than S2, which had a number of stupidly hard puzzles.
some of these times are inflated cuz i might have forgotten to pause the game when watching a show or something, but these are the ones that took me the longest to solve:

P140 30:22
P100 19:09
P116 18:01
P117 16:14
P118 15:07

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I'm still nibbling away at Picross S1, but it's always nice to see more. I'll pick this up eventually.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any way to get it to auto-fill a row if it's complete (as happens in Pixel Puzzle Collection on mobile)? It's a bit annoying having to fill Xs in manually if you know a row has been completed already.

Oct 27, 2017
How big are the largest grids in this game? Some of the picross puzzles in the monthly games magazine I get can take more than an hour to complete.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, have you even played any of the Nintendo Picross games?
I'd seriously much rather have a 100-200 puzzle game by Jupiter, where each puzzle is designed and a random collection of 1000s puzzles on Android, where maybe 1-2% of the puzzles are interesting to solve, and the rest just feels like shit.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, have you even played any of the Nintendo Picross games?
I'd seriously much rather have a 100-200 puzzle game by Jupiter, where each puzzle is designed and a random collection of 1000s puzzles on Android, where maybe 1-2% of the puzzles are interesting to solve, and the rest just feels like shit.
Yes, I've played every single Picross game from Nintendo since the DS and their puzzles aren't any different than ones I play in other games. There's nothing remotely special about the puzzles, but the presentation is definitely better than many other games(although in the latest two games from Jupiter it has a completely useless mode to me where the puzzles don't even form a picture until they're all placed together. There's nothing rewarding about that to me). Although Capcoms latest game is better. Now 3D Picross is definitely better, although there's a cheaper iPad 3D picross game that has many more puzzles and it's quite good as well. Again, the problem I have with this genre is there is no difficulty once you learn the mechanics. It's more of a time waster than a mind bender. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

DOA

Oct 26, 2017
s2 had some really "just guess where to fill the squares" action for several puzzles. i don't like those puzzles much.
because of that, i wish they had a "state save" feature, that doesn't require me to suspend the puzzle and get right back to it

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Do the Picross S games ever go on sale? I'm over 190% in Konami Picross on my iphone and need to know where my next fix is coming from.

ChanceOwen

Oct 25, 2017
A shame there are so few Color Picross puzzles. Those definitely threw my brain through a loop a few times. All done. Time to wait for S4. Hope the next includes more Color Picross and gets rid of Clip Picross. Those are just pointless filler.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I love the Color puzzles and I'd love to have as many of them as Mega Picross typically does while having less Mega Picross puzzles. They also need to add color blind support for those that need it.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017

This is precisely why I'm so pleased with Mega Picross. On the harder puzzles I'm still occasionally thrown for a loop and don't know what to do next, which never happens anymore in regular picross or 3D picross.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It'll be a while until I get to this one, I'm partway through S1 right now. It's weird how addictive this game is, some puzzles I don't think I'm enjoying it at all and then I complete a puzzle - oh that's what that was supposed to be, I guess - then go straight into the next one!

I got hooked from the Konami mobile one. I'm at something like 110% there.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
done, in 45 hours. i beat it faster than S2, despite having 30 more puzzles in clip mode and the whole color mode as well. S2 just had some really hard puzzles i guess.

2019051100261900-e9abbfjjd.jpg

2019051100264100-57b4eakah.jpg

hoping they bump the number of color puzzles in the next one, 30 was way too low.

Last edited:

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I finished all the color puzzles and I want more too! It adds this extra layer of complexity without a jump in difficulty, since it opens up new possibilities and patterns to use. It's the perfect new mechanic, I love Color Picross.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For the third iteration in a row, my brain still doesn't understand Mega Picross.
You have to insist until it does. Then soon you came to realize some things that make it easier. How a Mega 2 can only have one shape and always need good space to exist. How sometimes the possible combinations for a certain Mega line are wayyyyy fewer than it seems at first so there's a lot of squares to be discovered. Singles on a mega line are useful; their opposite side is always an X. Single numbers before or after mega numbers at the edge of the grid indicate Xs on that edge, opposite to the side of said numbers. Intersections with the perpendicular line/column matter, sometimes only one combination works for both. I'd really love to explain these with some sort of videos but I don't have the skills or equipment.

Keep assists turned on. It eventually clicks.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
You have to insist until it does. Then soon you came to realize some things that make it easier. How a Mega 2 can only have one shape and always need good space to exist. How sometimes the possible combinations for a certain Mega line are wayyyyy fewer than it seems at first so there's a lot of squares to be discovered. Singles on a mega line are useful; their opposite side is always an X. Single numbers before or after mega numbers at the edge of the grid indicate Xs on that edge, opposite to the side of said numbers. Intersections with the perpendicular line/column matter, sometimes only one combination works for both. I'd really love to explain these with some sort of videos but I don't have the skills or equipment.

Keep assists turned on. It eventually clicks.
You know what? Some of these tips have actually been extremely helpful. Thank you so much!

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Does Picross S3 have the option to remove the timer from the HUD? I find it so uncomfortable in S1.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Can you only unlock the Clip puzzles by playing regular Picross? I've been playing through Mega Picross and haven't been unlocking any. Not really interested in redoing the puzzles on an easier mode to unlock stuff.

Adda

Oct 28, 2017
I got stumped on P140 (first time in a picross) so I looked at a video, guy puts an X at 2:42 into the video that would allow me to complete the whole thing but I can work out the logic he used for placement. Anyone got any opinions or advice.