• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
I recently picked my trumpet up after 25 years of not playing. My embouchure is complete garbage, but I've been practicing scales and playing short songs for about 40 minutes a day and irritating my wife with lip buzzes to build up those muscles again.

I was surprised by how comfortable the instrument felt in my hand after such a long absence and how satisfying hitting nice round notes felt. It feels like a small piece of me is filling back up. I won't say I sound good, but damn if I'm not proud of my "Happy Birthday" and "Hot Cross Buns." I intend to keep it up.

Has anyone else picked up an instrument after an incredibly long time without touching it? Did you push yourself to excellence or are you just happy making musical sounds during the pandemic?

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
I've been seriously thinking about getting back into my violin lately. Seeing this thread has inched me a little further toward it. :-P

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I played guitar for about 15 years and then stopped for 4. Surprisingly didn't take me long to get back into decent shape with it. I'm trying not to burn myself out with practice routines this time and just have fun with it.

OP
OP
pokeystaples

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
I've been seriously thinking about getting back into my violin lately. Seeing this thread has inched me a little further toward it. :-P
Do it! It's so satisfying!

TaterTots I'm trying to keep burn out in mind. A few online classes say 40 minutes a day maximum for brass/woodwind beginners (which I definitely am now), but I'm itching to practice twice a day even though my lips are sore as heck.

Quade

Mar 8, 2019
Do it, you coward! :P I can't think of a better time to pick and instrument back up again. It's therapeutic value shouldn't be overlooked.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Sat second chair in orchestra in school. Picked up a flute after having not played in 15+ years and couldn't even remember how to form my lips correctly. Felt bad.

Then I remember the daily hours of practice it took to move from last seat to second, and the ocean of talent between me and the young lady I couldn't catch.

Decided to leave the flute in my memories. For me it isn't something I could do casually or for fun.

Beautiful instrument though. There's a true art to it.

Apr 24, 2018
I don't have my cello on me, but I've had a few random times throughout the years where I've really wanted to pick it up and play. I think part of it is because I watch a lot of Youtube game music covers - the thing I liked doing the most while I played was teaching myself to play songs that I really liked. It's been about sixteen years since I last really played...

Jan 11, 2019
I started playing bass again in my thirties. I played drums, bagpipes and a few other instruments in my teens.

To me, if you already have a feeling for rhythm and groove, then learning an instrument is always a joy, no matter if you've already played it in the past or not.

I certainly couldn't imagine not feeling a 4/4 in my thirties and trying to develop that feeling again

OP
OP
pokeystaples

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
Sat second chair in orchestra in school. Picked up a flute after having not played in 15+ years and couldn't even remember how to form my lips correctly. Felt bad.

Then I remember the daily hours of practice it took to move from last seat to second, and the ocean of talent between me and the young lady I couldn't catch.

Decided to leave the flute in my memories. For me it isn't something I could do casually or for fun.

Beautiful instrument though. There's a true art to it.
I hate that it made you feel bad, but I understand not doing something that doesn't bring you joy. Part of me seems to be taking to it because it felt so natural returning. I don't know how I would have felt if it hadn't.