• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pick one

• PS1

Votes: 1,709 59.8%
  • N64

Votes: 1,151 40.2%

• Total voters

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
At the time, definitely N64. Apart from few select titles with good art direction, both have aged horribly.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Back in the day I hated the PS1's blocky poly's/textures and constant jittering. It's one of the reasons I went with N64 that gen. In retrospect, it's probably easier to go back to PS1 games than N64 as the low framerates and blurry textures gives me headaches now. That said, I still prefer the look of N64 to this day.

Zen_Master

Nov 15, 2020
On PS1 jitter, it's amazing how far PS1 emulation has come. Now, with perspective correction/PGXP, pretty much all the jitter/shaky polygons is fixed, giving these older games a nice visual overhaul:

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
11d0387810d8c26261dbf2e3a6de0d1a.gif

MGS is one of the exceptions for me, they did a great job given the limitations of the hardware. Same with titles like Crash Bandicoot.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
I grew with a N64 but I'll have to go with PS1.
Feels like most big names of PS1 tried to circumvent the limitations or build around it.
N64 big names had framerate issues and almost always fog.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
For pure 3D graphics there is no comparison. The PS1 just could not compete.

But it compensated with a lot of tricks like pre rendered backgrounds that looked much better than anything either console could do on their own. And so a lot of the best looking games from that gen were on PS1. They both had their strengths. The N64 could not do a game like Chrono Cross and the PS1 could never dream of making something like Banjo or Zelda.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
The best N64 games looked better than the best PS games IMO.

Games on both systems usually looked better on the N64 as well.

There's no way the PS could have ever ran the likes of Ocarina of Time, Perfect Dark, Conker etc.

Blayde

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
a little surprised more people are saying ps1 looks better. tbh i thought most games on that console looked like ass, even at the time. I much prefer the way n64 games looked. I wonder if this really comes down to a nostalgia thing. I had both consoles, but I had the n64 first and for a few years before I ever got a ps1. Frankly I still think ps1 games look really bad today.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I always preferred the stability of the N64 polygons. On a consumer CRT the difference in clarity and sharpness is negligible. But I love both. This thread needs more gifs!

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I always preferred the stability of the N64 polygons. On a consumer CRT the difference in clarity and sharpness is negligible. But I love both. This thread needs more gifs!

That is just not true. Most of us here have memories of or are still playing PSone and N64 on CRTs. the difference is not negligible. The N64 has always looked like smeared Vaseline though far worse in some games than others.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Have you tried to play an actual N64 lately? Man, it looks so bad. At least it's somewhat bearable on a CRT. PS1 looks considerably better to me.

Wow at even thinking the PS1 is in the same league as N64.

Nothing like seeing the path and buildings in front of you disfigure into place on the PS1. Real janky 3D.
Not to mention everything was dithered to death. Ugh.

There's really no 3D on the PS1 that can compare with N64's best.

N64 and it's not even close.

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
I think the PS1 pixelated look was more advanced to me as a child for whatever reason. I still prefer the 3D techniques they used on it with the added bonus of awesome 2D art as well.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
96E4F25BD7BAA3F0628A7D250A2C5A31B284C84A

Love my N64 but it's not even close. If Vagrant Story was on the N64 it would look like someone rubbed Vaseline all over it.

I think the PS1 pixelated look was more advanced to me as a child for whatever reason. I still prefer the 3D techniques they used on it with the added bonus of awesome 2D art as well.

N64 could do really excellent 2D - certainly above what the PS1 could hope to do.

Wonder Project J2 is probably the best example. Mischief Makers bosses are also ibfrefible

Why did the N64 graphics look like a vaseline smeered mess?
The blurry smeared mess is genuinely bad

It's worse on some games than others. It's hardly noticeable - if at all - on some games.

I'd take actual 3D integrity and a light blur over constantly warping polygons, overall weaker geometry and major dithering.

People in here acting like PS1 only had bad warping/jittering as its only problem....

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
That is just not true. Most of us here have memories of or are still playing PSone and N64 on CRTs. the difference is not negligible. The N64 has always looked like smeared Vaseline though far worse in some games than others.
Fair enough. Another thing though is not everyone playing N64 is seeing the same thing. Even without mods N64's S-Video output is a massive improvement over composite as far as sharpness, unless you have some of the later Funtastic console revisions that actually made changes to the composite output visual clarity. I would never play using the composite output if given the option for S-Video.

I'm playing Banjo Kazooie right now with S-Video on a 27" Sony Trinitron and it looks fantastic.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I mean, if we want to use this logic, PS1 couldn't even run a good chunk of the 3D N64 games....so...

Edit: Sorry for the triple post, this was meant to be an edit....

Not sure what my comment on the blurry filter on many N64 games has to do with your response.

Maybe I'm missing something here.

My comment was to show I prefer the cleaner looking visuals to the blurry ones described in the OP.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The N64 looks sooooo much worse to me lol. I didn't even own a PS1 and I like it better. And the more I back and play PS1 games the more I love the aesthetic

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Yes. I loved the way the blurriness made waterfalls look especially nice in one of the stages.

I never played it. I had moved on from the N64 by the time that released. Just watched some footage on YouTube and it's a nice-looking game for the system and the time.

I think another thing to consider is that Japanese third-parties chose the PS1 as the console of choice that generation. All of their best talent was focused on getting the most out of the PlayStation hardware. What would they have achieved on the N64 if it was the preferred system to develop for that generation?

A bit more on-topic, I preferred the steady, solidness of the N64 visuals. The OP does a bit or a disservice to the N64 hardware by implying its only benefit was larger areas/worlds. The blurred textures never bothered me too much and the built-in "free" AA was nice.

Discontent

May 25, 2018
I never played it. I had moved on from the N64 by the time that released. Just watched some footage on YouTube and it's a nice-looking game for the system and the time.

I think another thing to consider is that Japanese third-parties chose the PS1 as the console of choice that generation. All of their best talent was focused on getting the most out of the PlayStation hardware. What would they have achieved on the N64 if it was the preferred system to develop for that generation?

A bit more on-topic, I preferred the steady, solidness of the N64 visuals. The OP does a bit or a disservice to the N64 hardware by implying its only benefit was larger areas/worlds. The blurred textures never bothered me too much and the built-in "free" AA was nice.
Don't get me wrong, if I'm being exact the PS1 library is 10 times better than the N64s. I just loved the blurry effects.

Ryan_09

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Fort Wayne, IN, USA
I grew up on N64, so that's my pick. But I love that PS1 look despite getting into PS1 games with the PS3 in 2012. 🥰

Not gonna lie, I legit love that N64 fog. Gave games a atmospheric and mysterious vibe even when unintentional.

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
I'll take clear wobbles over N64 vaseline all day, even if a few Nintendo and Rare games could look much better than most games on the system.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I think N64 was better at the time, PS1 is better now. Speaking as someone who skipped the gen for most of it, got an N64 late into the gen, and never played PS1 games until well into the PS3 era.

Oct 27, 2017
The UltraHDMI solved a ton of my issues with the N64. There's games that genuinely look great, like the Dinosaur Planet leak recently. I do wish it had a larger texture cache though, that really hurt it.

PS1 is great for having more detail, but sucked for large worlds. Sure it had a higher poly pushing ability, but so much of it got used for fighting texture warping that it gets knocked down a bit.

I don't know if I can really decide. They both were good In their own ways, and each allowed for different types of games.

I've kind of always felt like the PS1 was the last of the early style 3D rendering, and really showed off how that style works.
While the N64 was like the first of modern 3D rendering, and showed a lot of growing pains, but looked great when used right.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I grew up primarily with the N64 and I really do like the N64 look (e.g. Majora's Mask looks a whole lot better on the N64 than the higher res GameCube and Wii versions, IMO) though I also have a soft spot for that PS1 look.

I would say that if I were to, say, make a game today to evoke nostalgic feelings of early 3D, it would probably look a lot more like a PlayStation game than an N64 one. And if I had to, I would rather include the PS1 wobble over making it as blurry as an average N64 game.

The N64 looks sooooo much worse to me lol. I didn't even own a PS1 and I like it better. And the more I back and play PS1 games the more I love the aesthetic

What about it looks worse? Just the blur filter? They have ways of removing that now...

The frame rate isn't ideal though...
No way to fix that on the console.

Don't get me wrong, if I'm being exact the PS1 library is 10 times better than the N64s. I just loved the blurry effects.

JRPGsand simulation racing games, yes, the PS1 definitely smokes the N64. And PS1 definitely has the misc. genre on lock.

In other popular genres, N64 wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. Obviously platformers are its bread and butter, but arcade racers and FPS games are very strong. And whatever Sin and Punishment is.

I think N64 was better at the time, PS1 is better now. Speaking as someone who skipped the gen for most of it, got an N64 late into the gen, and never played PS1 games until well into the PS3 era.

Graphic-wise, there's nothing that's changed between then and now. N64 still has stronger graphics, overall.

Not sure what my comment on the blurry filter on many N64 games has to do with your response.

Maybe I'm missing something here.

My comment was to show I prefer the cleaner looking visuals to the blurry ones described in the OP.

Yeah, I probably messed up my quoted posts there...ugh. Sorry

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Yeah, I probably messed up my quoted posts there...ugh. Sorry

No problem.

Reading other posts I'm also not sure if this thread is asking what we prefer now or what we preferred back when we played them on the original hardware and CRT TVs because some of the things mentioned for PS1 I'm not sure I noticed, granted it was also when I was like 15.

I feel like maybe some of the PS1 issues were covered up a bit with CRT TVs and some of the N64 issues were maybe made worse? Might have to hook them both up again.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
One of the problems with the image-quality comparison is there's no solid reference point. Most of the gifs and videos out there are from emulators (like half the gifs in this thread), and gamers playing these systems are on a mix of emulators, modern flatscreens, RGB modded systems on PVMs, or the OG hardware on consumer CRTs via Composite or S-Video.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Graphic-wise, there's nothing that's changed between then and now. N64 still has stronger graphics, overall.

I know that nothing's changed, and actually I'm referring to how they both look on a CRT, so even that hasn't changed. I guess I should rephrase as "I liked N64 more at the time, I like PS1 more now". At the time N64 seemed more advanced, to me it was like asking the difference between the OG Xbox and the 360 or something. But looking back today, the PS1 visuals come across as more stylized and unique and I like that more.