• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which one would you choose

• The Last of Us Part II

Votes: 921 40.4%
  • God of War

Votes: 1,359 59.6%

• Total voters

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Choosing between two games that you like seems pointless (as life itself), but every now and then we have to go through the torture of choice.

I think these two games are what better define what PlayStation is about.

So be nice and pick one game. Me, personally I can't pick. Loved both games

Ellie-The-Last-of-Us-Part-II-GamersRD-Kratos.jpg

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Easily TLOU2 for me. Liked God of War 4, but it didn't leave an impression on me. Went "yeah that was pretty good" and went on my merry way to never think much about it again.

TLOU2 haunted me. And will do so for decades. Incredible video game.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Both top tier games. GoW was easily my GOTY 2018. TLOU 2 however is my GOAT game so that gets my vote.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
TLOU2 easy. I enjoyed GOW 2018 but I don't think I've ever thought about it again since finishing it. TLOU2 is my game of the generation and one of my favourites ever.

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
I don't think I'll ever play TLOU2 so my vote goes to God of War. I wasn't particularly interested in God of War either but ended up decently liking it.

Apr 21, 2018
TLOU2 easily. One of the most incredible and unforgettable gaming experiences of my life.
GOW 2018 and its four enemy types didn't do it for me.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
God of War and it's not even in the same atmosphere for me.
That game had me by the neck the entire time, every second.

Easily my GOTG.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
GOW is more my type of game, with the exploration and general Zelda-esque style. I think I enjoyed the story more, too. The conversations and interactions between Kratos, Atreus and Mimir were really fun. Kratos also became a much better character than ever before.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
God of War, despite it's not my cup of tea (have to give it a second chance this year). TLOU2 was a massive disappointment.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
These are so dramatically different IMO it's hard to choose. Like whether or not you have to choose which food you can never eat again; tacos or hamburgers lol. I love TLOU (obviously) so, sorry Kratos.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
God of War had some repetitive bosses but I think overall I enjoyed the progression through the game world more and the narrative was straightforward and strong while TLOUII has a mixed bag when it comes to the story progression.

GoW has better environmental puzzle/exploration design too.

Both games are really strong in their genre but I'd have to tip it to TLOU for its pristine TPS action and Ai over GoW's above average character action.

Still GoW is a slightly better overall package for me.

newtonlod

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
TLOU 2 and it's not even close. Bold sequel.
God of War looks like a misstep for me in many regards. The camera is probably the worst offender and it's with you the entire time.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
God of War 2018 is in the running for greatest game of all time, and one of the biggest redemptions for a series/character/story of all time.

The Last of Us Pt 2, at its best, is just another Naughty Dog game. Really good, but still just another Naughty Dog game. Less compelling compared to its predecessor, and not nearly as fun of an adventure as the Uncharted games. Plus it was made under poor management, and with sexual harassment involved.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
tlou2 eeezzzz. I have too many issues with GOW's design and gameplay. Even at it's best, gow doesn't do anything better or as good as it's contemporaries.

tlou2 is pretty incredible in those departments and a huge step up over anything ND has done previously.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
God Of War, easily. That axe is such a joy using and calling it back is one of the greatest feelings I experienced in games for a long time. They better keep that axe in the follow up.

Or better formulated, I enjoyed playing God Of War, but I enjoyed follow the story of TLOU2 more.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
If i had to pick only one it would be The Last of US Pt. 2. While both are great games in their own right.
God of War got rid of a lot of what I loved about the originals and the "RPG" style aspects aren't really to my liking. I"m hoping GoW 2 wins me over more since I the base for something I'd love is there but as it stands it still needs a little more tinkering.

TLOU2 on the other hand gave me everything I wanted in a sequel. Gameplay that's a great evolution of what was there prior along with bold decisions in its story.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
God of War in almost every way

TLOU2 failed in its primary conceit for me, whilst I enjoyed most of it it didn't come together.

I also think God of War looked better in some ways, especially its faces

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
difficult to choose but would go with gow.
much more interested in the sequel to that one.
it has so much potential, where i kind of had enough of depressing drab world of tlou.
(unless they try something completely new with it.)

tlou2 controls like a dream though, they nailed 3rd person action gameplay pretty much. would love to experience that at 60fps again on ps5

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God of War is actually a good game not just a nihlistic revelry in torture and murder so this is an easy choice.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
God Of War for me as I find the game to be almost perfect. While I enjoyed TLOU2 it has some glaring pacing issues and I disliked every main character besides Lev that I can't ever see myself wanting to replay it.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like TLOU2 as much as the first so I'll go with God of War because making Kratos an even remotely sympathetic character is a tough task and they pulled it off.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe if you are in mood for hella depressing experience - it's TLoU II. I found God of War more fun to play. Both games are big achievements for ND and SSM.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's one of the hardest choices of all time for me!
Really love both games and they're among Top 5 of this generation for me. But voted for The Last of Us Part II, because it gave me an experience unlike any other game in my life. And also because it had less votes here.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
TLOU2. GOW is really overrated with repetitive axe-sponge enemies, pointless loot and RPG mechanics and a plot that doesn't really go anywhere

Coen

Oct 25, 2017
Antwerp, Belgium
I'll pick God of War because I honestly never imagined I'd care for a God of War game at all. Kratos was the epitome of teenage angst to me; God of War catering to pubescent boys with its over the top violence and gameplay that you never really had to stop and think about. God of War 2018 somehow turned all of that on its head. Santa Monica Studios made Kratos' story personal and relatable while at the same time reinventing the core gameplay loop to something with so much more depth and strategy.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Smart not to include Bloodborne because it would win every time! But for real, it has to be The Last of Us Part II. I don't think I've had an experience in any medium quite like it, and the combat and flow of it is some top-tier shit, up there with MGSV.

I really enjoyed God of War, but I think it has a lot of room for improvement, and it was a step back from the OG trilogy in some ways. I miss the epic set piece battles with absurd scale, and the one shot take hampered the game where a cut would have been very beneficial. I think it's fine to want a mostly single-take camera, but for the love of Lucifer, don't be afraid to insert cuts where it makes sense to. I wasn't too fond of the slow climbing or invisible walls, either ... nor the RPG lite or troll boss reuse.