• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Demon’s Souls or Bloodborne

• Demon’s Souls

Votes: 346 72.7%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 130 27.3%

• Total voters

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
I'll preface that I played like two hours of Bloodborne way back when but I am largely starting from scratch. I've played action RPGs with similar, albeit less brutal, combat (GoW; MH:W, etc). I have reservations about the frustrating parts of the games but I feel like I need to really give it a go.

If you're in my shoes what do you start with?

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Demons Souls is a more structured experience IMO that for me, makes it a more enjoyable game to play than Bloodborne was. I also prefer the setting if I'm honest.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Demon's Souls -> Bloodborne is the way better experience than the other way around.

Bloodborne is faster paced and Demon's Souls level structure is easier to get into.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Playing Bloodborne first bat make Demons Souls way too easy in comparison.

But Bloodborne is easily the better game.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Do you have PS+?

If so, Bloodborne is "free" as part of the PS Plus Collection, so I'd say try that first and see if you like it.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Demon's Souls is far more archaic, frustrating, and punishing.

Go with BB if you can put up with the technical issues. Dark Souls 1 or 3 on PS5 otherwise maybe?

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Wait for a price drop on Demon's Souls and play Bloodborne for now. It's the better game (based on my experience with Demon's Souls on PS3) and it's not a remake that costs US$70.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
I'd rate BB as the better game, but still suggest you start with Demon's Souls. If you enjoy Demon's Souls you may be more forgiving towards the (still bad) performance of Bloodborne. Oh to play BB at a stable 60fps

LegalEagleMike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you play bloodborne first you will end up coasting thru demons souls. Might as well embrace the shiny remake since it started the formula.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't really matter. They're both great. Dark Souls Remastered would also be a perfectly fine place to start.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Demons souls is slower and I'd say harder to get into after playing a faster paced game like BB.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I always say dark Souls remastered as it does a much better job than any other Souls game of showing you the ropes.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
Demon's Souls 1-1 is really where everyone needs to point anyone interested in souls. And I've been saying this even before the ps5 remake.

It's a masterpiece in game design and really sets up what to expect for the rest of the series.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to piggyback on OP, but in terms of difficulty. Where do people rank the below from hardest to easiest? ?

• Sekiro
  • Dark Souls 3
  • Bloodborne
  • Demon's Souls

Optional? Hollow Knight. I am struggling like crazy in hollow knight and not sure I want to play two very difficult games in a row?

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Just do what ever one interests you more. There's no wrong choice.

Personally I tried to get into Dark Souls 1 & 2 but couldn't get into them at all. It wasn't until Bloodborne where I understood how these games work and I'm convinced it was simply because my love for the setting gave me the motivation I needed.

WebSwingKing

Oct 15, 2019
After 60 fps on demons ps5 bloodborne may be rough. I love bloodborne, probably even more than demons souls but damn it runs pretty badly. I'm other words id probably go bloodborne first.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Play them in release order:

Demon's Remake, Dark Souls Remastered, DSII Scholar of the First Sin, Bloodborne, Dark Souls III

DarkLegion

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I hated all souls games but then Bloodborne made em click for me and it's my favorite game. Gonna recommend that first!

MavFan619

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Both but you have a PS5 and want to see what a beautiful game that's also a stone cold classic, still both but Demon's first.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Demons Souls. It's where it all started and where the original concept, to a certain degree, works the absolute best and just poures his Magic everywhere once you're in it.

In many elements and designs Bloodborne actually feels like an evolution of the original Demons Souls and actually has more in common with that instead of the Dark Souls titles.

xeroborn55

Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls Remastered was the first one i beat. Really showed me whats special about the series.

I would give them both an hour or two and see which one grabs you more.

Bloodborne is easily my favorite game ever made. Besides the performance its a staggering achievement.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Bloodborne.
It will be hard to go back to Bloodborne's 30 fps experience after Demon's Souls.
It's also much cheaper.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Bloodborne is the easier game for a person new to the games as it focuses a bit more on movement and aggression, allowing you to get in and out of any situation fairly fast and make up for some hits by getting some health back in the process.

It's not easy by any stretch, but I found it more easy to get into and get better at than I ever had with the Souls games in general.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Demon's Souls. Even with the changes, it's still the OG Souls game, and it has a performance mode so you can run it at 60+ fps instead of ~35 w/ Bloodborne.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
If you've just forked out for a PS5, play Demon's Souls. You won't die going back to sub-30fps in Bloodborne and it's the better game.

d1amonddogs

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
I just started my first with Demon's Souls on ps5 last night. I was expecting to be put off by the difficulty (i've only tried a small bit of Dark Souls II before this & didn't like it) - but man, I love it so far. Just beat the Tower Knight. Moving on to Bloodborne right after this.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Demon's Souls. Bloodborne is over rated and runs like absolute hell. I'm sure there's a good game in there somewhere, but it ain't available for us. Meanwhile Demon's Souls (going off the PS3 original I played through earlier this year via emulation at 4k60) is probably the most fun and beginner friendly Souls game. Not to mention it will be a graphical showcase game on your new PS5

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Demon's Souls has a better difficulty curve but Bloodborne is cheaper. Bloodborne also has better exploration and lore if that's what you're after.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Demon's Souls baby

Never been a better time to start from the start!

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry to piggyback on OP, but in terms of difficulty. Where do people rank the below from hardest to easiest? ?

• Sekiro
  • Dark Souls 3
  • Bloodborne
  • Demon's Souls

Optional? Hollow Knight. I am struggling like crazy in hollow knight and not sure I want to play two very difficult games in a row?
DS3 Ringed City > Bloodborne > DS3 > DeS for NG.

DeS's jump in NG+ always seems harsher then 3/BB though.

Skipped Sekiro so not sure on it.

Also voted BB, better game and the art is gorgeous. However going back to 30 FPS for these games sucks, so save DeS for second.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Bloodborne has the better art, atmosphere and gameplay.
DeS Remake has fluidity, eye candy and easier to follow level progression, plus build variety and ez mode.
For my money, BB is the best, but DeS is a better entry.

Laurentius

Apr 18, 2018
I would start with Demon's Souls, because there's a good chance either a Bloodborne Remaster or at least a 60FPS Bloodborne PS5 patch are coming before too long.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Demon's Souls, you can actually make it easier.

Bloodborne's performance is rough and absolutely undeniably brutally difficult. However, Bloodborne is the better game

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
There's no way there won't be a Bloodborne rerelease/update this gen. So Demon's souls first - wait on Bloodborne.

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
I'm a "save the best for last" kind of guy when it comes to franchises that aren't direct sequels like this.

With that said, I don't know the answer to that yet because I'm largely going into both blind myself.

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to play it all, my personal recommendation for play order would be:

Demon's Souls PS3 -> Demon's Souls 2020 -> Dark Souls-> Dark Souls II -> Dark Souls III -> Bloodborne -> Sekiro

Bloodborne and Demon's Souls are very different games and I liked Demon's Souls a lot having played every other game before it, but I don't think Bloodborne -> Demon's Souls would be a great transition if you haven't played at least Dark Souls.

ArchStanton

Oct 29, 2017
I'd actually play Bloodborne first. The 60fps on Demon's Souls will spoil you.

Even though Bloodborne is the more complex and aggressive game, it'll feel jankier in comparison to Demon's Souls PS5 because of that frame rate.