• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
Damn it's heartbreaking.Things are not that bad down here that people need to be taking their less than 2 year old kids on the dangerous journey up north. Really sad that this happened.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What would you suggest to do?
I never said i had the answer.

Like everyone else, i can identify all the problems. I can't identify practical solutions that can actually be put in action by We, The People.
On the contrary.

We need to start protesting at the places of people who are actually in charge: the homes and workplaces of conservative politicians and these shitty grifters.
Dems are complicit.

We have a better shot at making a positive change if we accept this.

Oct 27, 2017
Man just imagine how desperate you'd need to be to even consider swimming across a possibly deadly river with your 2y old daughter. Everday I shudder at what racism is driving people to support and accept. 2y olds drowning on your border shouldn't be a thing that happens Americans. Not that Europe is doing much in the Mediterranean.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
I think the real problem is inequality, just like we have inequality within our countries there is huge inequality between countries, how can rich countries do nothing to help those in need, i'm not talking about giving money away but just turning away when this shit is happening literally at you border is morally wrong, and not just in the US, it happens averywhere in the world. We as a race must work together to make the world a better place for everyone, not just our family, our country. Something has to be done.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
They're not calling it fake news based on what I heard on my way home in the car, but it's Democrats "playing politics."
Using a death to drive an agenda. Because, after all, republicans have never done something like that.

I think the real problem is inequality, just like we have inequality within our countries there is huge inequality between countries, how can rich countries do nothing to help those in need, i'm not talking about giving money away but just turning away when this shit is happening literally at you border is morally wrong, and not just in the US, it happens averywhere in the world. We as a race must work together to make the world a better place for everyone, not just our family, our country. Something has to be done.

People from central America are trying to escape drug violence that is fueled by Americans who buy drugs. Maybe we should deal with our drug problem.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
depressing. reminds me of that photo of the drowned kid from Syria back in 2015

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying you're wrong regarding intent, I'm saying that logistically it will never happen at the numbers needed to have a real impact. It's not like we haven't had multiple huge marches and demonstrations over the last 2 years.

I also think it's a lot easier to say what people should do and leave it to them to figure out how.
Intent? Intent is worthless without action. And those marches you're referring to aren't the end-all be-all of activism and not done with any kind of regular consistency. A true movement builds up to that level and not given just because it has to be perfect.

I never said i had the answer.

Like everyone else, i can identify all the problems. I can't identify practical solutions that can actually be put in action by We, The People.

Dems are complicit.

We have a better shot at making a positive change if we accept this.
That's some weak ass shit.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I have to stop looking at that picture. I immediately thought of my father and my little sister who's around the same age and began tearing up. I hate it. I hate that this is happening and certain pieces of trash care more about the political repercussions than the welfare of people who are going through this.

Wolven Hammer

Feb 26, 2018
Los Angeles, California
Cons will see this shit and feel absolutely nothing (at best) and/or they'll blame the deaths on the parents for not doing things legally.

I'm of the opinion that horrible images must be shoved into the American public's face. It needs to show the brutal hardships and terrors that these people are enduring in their home countries.

Maybe they'll feel some sympathy in their reptilian hearts and see why they're desperate.

Emmett Till was ultimately a catalyst, so why not.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
"They are not our children" crowd will hold steadfast to their rhetoric as myriad other politicians try to relate to the tragedy on both sides of the isle citing how them being parents causes them to empathize with the victim. Once this is done, it will most likely become a footnote among various other cascading tragedies at the border, failing to effect major change.

I hope, I hope their deaths were not in vain but I have zero expectations.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Fucking asshole local media just slapped this pic on a Facebook story, scrolling through my FB feed and saw it....so sad. Ugh I did not want to see that.

Edit: I can't shake that image, I'm a father of a little girl.....goddamnit I did not want to see that.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
Fucking asshole local media just slapped this pic on a Facebook story, scrolling through my FB feed and saw it....so sad. Ugh I did not want to see that.

Edit: I can't shake that image, I'm a father of a little girl.....goddamnit I did not want to see that.

Ratings, it is pathetic, but it is what our news is in this day and age. Very happy I don't watch local, or most national news at this point.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017

That just happened to me....clicked on CNN and there it was. I broke down and started crying...I have a 2 year daughter. I just can't anymore.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
NYT: A Photo Captures the Pathos of Migrants Who Risked It All

MEXICO CITY — The father and daughter lie face down in the muddy water along the banks of the Rio Grande, her tiny head tucked inside his T-shirt, an arm draped over his neck.
The portrait of desperation was captured on Monday by the journalist Julia Le Duc, in the hours after Óscar Alberto Martínez Ramírez drowned with his 23-month-old daughter, Valeria, as they tried to cross from Mexico to the United States.
The image represents a poignant distillation of the perilous journey hundreds of thousands of migrants face on their passage north to the United States, and the tragic consequences that often go unseen in the loud and caustic debate over border policy.
It recalled other poignant and sometimes disturbing photos that have galvanized public attention in the past to the horrors of war and the acute suffering of individual refugees and migrants — personal stories that are often obscured by larger events.
Like the 1993 photo of a starving toddler and a nearby vulture in Sudan or the shot in 1972 of a 9-year-old in South Vietnam running naked, screaming from burning napalm, the image of a single father and his young child washed up on the river shore had the potential to prick the public conscience.
As the photo ricocheted around social media on Tuesday, Democrats in the House were moving toward a late-night vote on an emergency $4.5 billion humanitarian aid bill to address the plight of migrants at the border.
Representative Joaquin Castro, Democrat of Texas and the chairman of the Hispanic Caucus, grew visibly emotional as he discussed the photograph in Washington. He said he hoped that it would make a difference among lawmakers and the broader American public.
"It's very hard to see that photograph," Mr. Castro said. "It's our version of the Syrian photograph — of the three-year-old boy on the beach, dead. That's what it is.''

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Can't imagine the number of people that risk their lives, and die, while trying to make it to America.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Using a death to drive an agenda. Because, after all, republicans have never done something like that.

People from central America are trying to escape drug violence that is fueled by Americans who buy drugs. Maybe we should deal with our drug problem.
yep, many times also using guns trafficked through america. we're directly responsible for these people fleeing their homelands and then treating them like garbage for daring to come here. makes me so incredibly fucking mad at people who can't see this. they're directly responsible for these unnecessary deaths. america is a huge country with incredible resources. instead of being decent, they chose to be selfish like fucking piece of shit racist rats and it's fucking infuriating.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That picture made me fucking emotional and many things dont. This country angers the shit out of me.

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My fellow parents, remember this when rallies and protests are organized in your area. Do it for your kids, Valeria, and all the other unnamed kids that are suffering under this regime.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this as a headline on CNN in Google News. Pissed me off so much that I unsubscribed from them! Don't show me that as the thumbnail, fuckers!

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Don't be mad at CNN for showing the picture, be mad at the people/circumstances that have led to this. Fuck, what's wrong with this country.

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
All these little children shouldn't be paying with their lives for all the nonsense that happens in this rotten world.
Poor girl, just months and dead in the cruelest circumstances. Sometimes I complain for the pettiest things but there are others who didn't even have a chance.

Karasseram

Jan 15, 2018
If you live in america and your extent of effort against this is angry posts on this forum or other social media damn straight you are complicit.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
That just happened to me....clicked on CNN and there it was. I broke down and started crying...I have a 2 year daughter. I just can't anymore.
This is the sort of thing I was talking about earlier. I'm a parent as well, and it really does cut you deep seeing stuff like this, even if you've seen it before. I don't think that to take an effective stance against the shit that's going on you need to see pictures of a dead father and child. Not everyone, because some people do need to see it to be spurred to action.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Xenophobic rhetoric over a series of posts + victim blaming; a prior ban related to racism.
It's time Mexico steps up and takes care of citizens. So many of them should not be willing to put their lives and their children's life at risk to get to a country that is probably more hostile towards them than their own government. They cannot remain blameless.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
It's time Mexico steps up and takes care of citizens. So many of them should not be willing to put their lives and their children's life at risk to get to a country that is probably more hostile towards them than their own government. They cannot remain blameless.
Bye

Blackjaw

Nov 21, 2017
Fuck, this dad just wanted a chance, just wanted to give his daughter something. And they were forced to do this and ended up dead. Anyone with kids knows the sadness and frustration because we would do anything for our families too. We as a nation need to fix immigration, nobody should feel they have to cross a river to get here. Everyone deserves a chance.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really wish I hadn't seen that. It's different hearing about it and actually seeing it. This world, man.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
On the contrary.

We need to start protesting at the places of people who are actually in charge: the homes and workplaces of conservative politicians and these shitty grifters.
Yep. This sort of thing is why it's so pathetic for people to argue that Sarah Sanders or Mitch McConnel deserve to eat in peace.

They don't deserve a moment of peace in this life or the next.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Google News has the picture as the thumbnail for the story so I saw that before I even saw the headline... absolutely disgusting what we're doing to these people desperately seeking asylum. The ones that are making it are being ripped apart from their children in a manner that may even be more cruel.