• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Miaus

Jan 28, 2018
I'm not native speaker but I don't really mind them, I can get what they say most of the time at first read, if not then just read it again. It definitely adds to the personality of the characters.

OP
OP
60fps

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Let me just add that if developers absolutely MUST include it they should take this approach (from the first link in the OP):

Take this as an example. Imagine your character grew up in a mining town in rural Minnesota near the Canadian border, and he tells his mining foreman this:

"Oh, yeah, you betcha der, chieftain. Goin' down wit dat der new fella, don'tcha know, and we'll git dat der whole kit and kaboodle up the shaft der lickety split, ya know. "

Now that's a mouthful, and definitely not an easy read. Here's the translation:

"Oh, yeah, chief. Going down with that new guy, and we'll get everything up the shaft right away."

But here's the problem. If you write the dialogue phonetically, it's interesting and rich with complexity yet much more difficult to read. If you write it entirely in Standard English, however, you lose all the uniqueness and flavor, and unfortunately, the dialogue becomes forgettable. Solution: moderation.

It's okay to toss in a few phonetic words here and there to highlight the accent or dialect, but use it sparingly. Moderation will save you from frustrating your readers, whom in a very real sense are the gatekeepers to your screenplay's future:

"You betcha, chief. Going down with the new fella, ya know, and we'll get the whole kit and kaboodle up the shaft lickety split.

It really doesn't work without voice acting. Also, the DQ games go way too hard on accents sometimes. FFXII, by comparison, has different accents and dialects but everything is clear and easy to understand.
Yep.

Agreed. I'm pretty good at English, but at the end of the day it's not my native language and therefore reading English requires a bit of effort on my part even if just a bit. But when the text is written like this... it no longer feels like I'm reading something written in my second language, but something written in my third language instead. It's awful...
Totally agreed!

I mean how else are you suppose to portray a character speaking with a accent?

"I love the open seas!" He said with a heavy Irish accent???
You either voice them or see the example above.

I dinnae ken pal, language is complicated and a lot more than just about what is being said, but how it is being said and that can convey quite a lot of character and background.
Problem with the given examples is that nothing is actually said. Everything is written.

I meant he second screenshot is literally a Zombie in an all-girl academy. What do you think she's going to speak like ?
It doesn't SPEAK. It's text and the player has to READ it!

And I can use my imagination enough to think of how a zombie would speak, no need to make the text unreadable.

Last edited:

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
I love it. It happens far too rarely in German translations, though. I think there was one NPC in a Final Fantasy(?) game who "spoke" Franconian (a German dialect), that was really funny. He also had a dialect in the original Japanese, IIRC.

You can often achieve a similar, if not quite as powerful effect through word choice, diction, rather than modifying the grammar, spelling, and punctuation of phrases. It requires more effort, but is less "cheap" of a technique, and certainly less insulting to anyone who speaks similarly, if such a dialect exists in the real world.
I don't think any of this is insulting. Do you think Scottish Twitter is insulting to Scots?

Also, I currently live in a region where people who are born here have a pretty strong dialect. Informal messages are also written in dialect, meaning there are quite a few phonetically spelt words. In fact, due to colloquialisms and different grammar, some messages only look right if spelt that way. There's something off when using words and grammar only found in dialects but their spelling is "proper" standard German.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think this has to stop, it's nice to have some flavor every now and then on text dialogue.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
"Unprofessional" is a tired and overused criticism. I don't like this kind of thing but it is not unprofessional

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
If it's way overdone, it can be slightly irritating (some of the Dragon Quests get a little too overzealous with it), but overall I love it. It can really inject a ton of personality into dialogue, and it made me a better reader when I was younger.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
I love it. It happens far too rarely in German translations, though. I think there was one NPC in a Final Fantasy(?) game who "spoke" Franconian (a German dialect), that was really funny. He also had a dialect in the original Japanese, IIRC.

I don't think any of this is insulting. Do you think Scottish Twitter is insulting to Scots?

Also, I currently live in a region where people who are born here have a pretty strong dialect. Informal messages are also written in dialect, meaning there are quite a few phonetically spelt words. In fact, due to colloquialisms and different grammar, some messages only look right if spelt that way. There's something off when using words and grammar only found in dialects but their spelling is "proper" standard German.

It depends on the situation obviously. But in some cases that are politically and perhaps racially charged -- the usage (especially if it's bad) of something like ebonics by a bunch of white dudes in their writing isn't going to fly in 2019 as socially acceptable. And that's just one example. So you have to be careful when using a technique like this, and should probably avoid it if you're not going to put in some serious research to get it right and not come across as stereotypical.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
It is a bad idea for books too. In a novel, you can easily use narration to indicate that. If you take a writing class in school, they explicitly tell you not to use changes in spelling to reflect accents.

If you change the spelling of words to reflect accent, it comes with the implication that the character in question "doesn't speak properly" or doesn't know how to spell words correctly. There is a lot of baggage there that goes way beyond just making the text harder to parse.

After all, English doesn't have a true phonetic alphabet in the first place. No English speaker pronounces words exactly as they are written. No one pronounces the k or hard g in "knight" anymore. But no one past the third grade writes it as "nite" either. Well, unless you are written to have an accent in some videogames, where you forced to have the spelling skills of a second grader. That is derogatory to the accent-speaker.

Let's use an example. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has a cast full of characters who speak in a variety of accents, but it avoids using any modified text to reflect those accents. The characters use different word choices, but the words themselves are always spelled correctly. If they had messed with the spelling of the words Nia was saying in the text, that would have been derogatory to both the character and her voice actress.
Yeah, basically this. I don't think the Octopath screen belongs in your OP, but I generally agree with you. For all the people saying "Well Mark Twain did it," 100% of people who do this today aren't Mark Twain, and I'd wager that 99% of people aren't as skilled as Twain to be able to pull it off, so that's not a good excuse at all. Not to mention that a) I'm sure the concept was new and (heh) novel at the time, and b) as stated in SkyOdin's post, it carries some baggage with it. Also, Twain's books need to be viewed in a very specific historical context, but that's another discussion.

This actually reminds me of Luke Cage S2. I watch with subtitles because I'm a psychopath, and I noticed that whenever a Jamaican character was on-screen, the subtitles would randomly change from phonetic spelling to standard English from episode to episode. It was extremely jarring, and I would have appreciated an option to decide which set to use. But I digress.

For the most part, if used very sparingly and with finesse, phonetic spelling can work well. But if it's something that the reader will continue to be exposed to, it gets old quickly. Sure, that boundary is subjective, but if you're producing a work for a wide audience, you probably don't want to do something like this. It is considered poor form, professionally speaking, to do this. Basically, if you can successfully pull it off, then great. But otherwise, and frankly most of the time, you should probably find another way.

Wi nøt trei a høliday in Sweden this yër?

Video games are not books. Rules are meant to be broken.

Oct 25, 2017
It really diminished octopath for me, I really don't get why they went all in on that for certain characters. I get the precedent of characters like Cyan in FF6 but it really got in the way with Hanit, like it was just unsparing in how it was applied.

As a localiser or a dialogue editor if you're having to rely on something like that to create a distance or dissonance between your characters that would otherwise not exist without putting a 'th' on the end of every other word then you've probably fallen short in your efforts. Your choice of spoken and written language should evoke the character's attitude and personality, not some gimmick.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
Not only is the Octopath example NOT an accent, it's actually really well researched middle-english.
That's not Middle English. In Middle English, they pronounced the k in knight and used completely different spelling and vowels compared to Modern English. Written Middle English looks like a completely different language at first glance.

Shakespeare wrote in Modern English. We've just stopped using "thee" since then.

Personally, I think the accent in question doesn't work very well in Octopath Traveler. The voice actors don't sound very natural when using it, and its placement in the world is completely and utterly arbitrary. So it doesn't really add much to the world building.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, as non native English speaker, those sometimes drive me insane, Every line that was said in the Academy in DQ or by the hunter in POT required an effort to read with double or triple takes, it wasn't a smooth experience.

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was the fucking worst in Tales of Hearts R, I hate it.

FhQvE4Z.jpg
Personally out of all the examples this reads clean and clear to me and loving the characterisation this adds, however British English with very good ear for strong northern, Scottish and Welsh accents due to various relatives etc growing up...

Adam Sadler

Nov 9, 2017
This actually reminds me of Luke Cage S2. I watch with subtitles because I'm a psychopath, and I noticed that whenever a Jamaican character was on-screen, the subtitles would randomly change from phonetic spelling to standard English from episode to episode. It was extremely jarring, and I would have appreciated an option to decide which set to use. But I digress.
I haven't seen Luke Cage, so are you saying the subtitles were in patois?

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
one English's greatest authors Irvine Welsh writes phonetically and its hard as fuck to read any of the speeches between character but the book wouldn't be as awesome without them.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is fucking annoying and it's mostly jrpgs that do it. I'm all for games creating their own words and phrases to add flavor to the world but not at the cost of changing the entirety of the game's dialogue. I know the writers think it's cute but people still have to be able to read this shit. They really need to consider people who aren't 100% fluent in that language.

HulkMansfield

Dec 29, 2017
You'd probably hate the book Trainspotting, OP.
Saw the movie and had no idea what they were saying. I loved it.

But OT, if you're reading dialogue, then it should be spelled out the way it's pronounced. They do this in books all the time. It's no different. Especially in games with little voice acting. I really don't see how the medium makes a difference either. You're reading dialogue one way or another.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Don't strike it out but be more moderate in it. If it becomes difficult to read I start to hate it and just want to skip the dialog. If a character is supposed ot have an accent, sure, but don't overdo it unless they're supposed to be nearly in decipherable.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
My partner does games localisation from English into German. This type of writing is absolute torture for her to work with. It takes so long to turn it back into English before turning it into another language.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on the situation obviously. But in some cases that are politically and perhaps racially charged -- the usage (especially if it's bad) of something like ebonics by a bunch of white dudes in their writing isn't going to fly in 2019 as socially acceptable. And that's just one example. So you have to be careful when using a technique like this, and should probably avoid it if you're not going to put in some serious research to get it right and not come across as stereotypical.
Oh yeah, I didn't really think of that, but you're right of course, it can get pretty ugly quickly if you're doing it to make fun of people. Your original post just sounded to me as if most phonetically spelt dialects are insulting to speakers of these dialects. I think this can be actually used as a rough guideline for phonetical spellings in text: Do people speaking a dialect you want to depict use it in writing too? If so, as long as you don't exaggerate, I think most people speaking said dialect will find it pretty charming.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
My partner does games localisation from English into German. This type of writing is absolute torture for her to work with. It takes so long to turn it back into English before turning it into another language.

Oh I imagine this kind of thing is a nightmare to localize if you're not fully fluent in each language you're localizing for, no matter the medium.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Steady ya 'orses sunshine. I'll 'ave ya know most of that is propa standard English where I come from. Don't be hatin' now of der Queen's (bless her 'eart) English. We's inveneed it and we's can spell it however we well damned please. That's just 'ow it goes doncha know.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Let me just add that if developers absolutely MUST include it they should take this approach (from the first link in the OP):

And I can use my imagination enough to think of how a zombie would speak, no need to make the text unreadable.

The Minnesota example is trash, as there are plenty of Minnesotans who pick up the regional vernacular but not the accent. The two are completely different and are instrumental in conveying the length of time someone has lived there and even the level of education or life experience they may have.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
I'm talking about accents in written form.

Stuff like this:

Dy5b57ZX0AE6yGb

Dy5b6-IX0AAMO6k

Dy5b6VxXcAAtio9

Dy5b6qlXgAAK0FA

To me this adds nothing to the experience. It's just distracting and unprofessional.

It makes things harder to read, in games where you read hundreds or even thousands of dialogue lines.

And the worst thing: The original Japanese scripts don't have this - they give you normal, easy to read dialogue lines instead!

I agree with this:

https://thescriptlab.com/screenwriting/script-tips/911-dialogue-writing-dialects-and-accents/

If you're interested in video game localization in general this website is highly informative:

How the Heavy English Accents in Dragon Quest IV Work in Japanese

https://legendsoflocalization.com/lets-talk-aboot-those-dragon-quest-iv-accents/

Let me just add that if developers absolutely MUST include it they should take this approach (from the first link):

That first example is Scots, it's not a phonetically written language.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
Does this mean all non-native English speakers understand English as good as you?
Why so aggressive? I merely stated that DQ7 was the only game I played/noticed phonetically written English and that it added to the experience in that game.
Don't get why you are piling on me specifically tbqh

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind most of them, but what the fuck was this even supposed to be?! How does "NOw evERYOoone wILL FInd out..." even sound?! That was infuriating to read.

Lmao, the other girl giving them the side eyes make it look like she's eavesdropping. God I love DQXI's artstyle.
For one it's not writing words phonetically so it goes against the OP's theme.

Also, it's a carry over of a japanese games sometimes swapping between two of the languages phonetic alphabets. Supposed to indicate instability when someone speaks in mixed hiragana/katakana. When people localize that shit over here they do the miXEd CAse thing which is, as you indicate, stupid as hell and annoying to read and it completely erases the intention.

This was the fucking worst in Tales of Hearts R, I hate it.

FhQvE4Z.jpg
This is EASILY the best image in this thread. That's fantastic.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The unironic best usage of this was in DQ5 DS, when the last boss spoke in not only a bizarre dialect but used a different font with numbers and shit injected. Made it feel like you were truly confronting an alien presence who was speaking to you inside your heads, and set him apart from any of the other demon lords or his subordinates.

11mf1Ju.jpg

That's Cyrillic script. As someone who can actually read it in one of the languages it's used in, this is melting my brain.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of George from Metal Gear Rising, truly one of the most annoying characters in gaming
That's completely different though. George had voiced dialogue in his native Guyanese English, and was subtitled in a more standard English dialect. That way, it's authentic, but everyone can still understand; same if he were speaking another language like Spanish, French, Chinese, etc.

Simply putting the whole script in thick dialect (or even just straight-up Scots) with no dialogue or subtitles to guide the more general English speaker is what creates a problem.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
Steady ya 'orses sunshine. I'll 'ave ya know most of that is propa standard English where I come from. Don't be hatin' now of der Queen's (bless her 'eart) English. We's inveneed it and we's can spell it however we well damned please. That's just 'ow it goes doncha know.

This is some weird abomination of multiple dialects from both sides of the Atlantic.

Thanks, I hate it.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I quite like it. I enjoy trying to mimic the dialect in my head when reading.
But I also agree it needs to be done in moderation.

Non-native English speaker here.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I agree. For non-native English speakers like myself this is a big pain in the ass.
Wow, I didn't think of this at all. Thanks for shedding some light on that.

I was all ready to say what's the big deal? You just don't like fake olde English and intercapped dialogue! It's absolutely fine!

It helps me put the character's voice in my head, but obviously speaking as a native English speaker.

methodiczero

Oct 27, 2017
San Diego
Couldn't agree more. If its not voice acted with the accent, then get the hell out. I don't want to have to think about what I'm TRYING to read when I'm playing a game. I appreciate that devs want to add some extra character to some of their....... characters. But making shit hard to read is not the way to go about it.

Oct 25, 2017
The Minnesota example is trash, as there are plenty of Minnesotans who pick up the regional vernacular but not the accent. The two are completely different and are instrumental in conveying the length of time someone has lived there and even the level of education or life experience they may have.
Similarly, there is also the major difference if you were to write a pittsburgh character. The difference between a full on yinzer and someone that just uses very pittsburgh words is all in the way the words are said, not the vocabulary. Phonetically spelling words is beneficial for conveying the accents that are less assumed in the world you are writing for, and are beneficial in fleshing out a character when you are working in text. Especially in the form of a game where you do not have the benefit of extra exposition to explain away unaccented dialog. Even then, books are often best served by having their dialog accentuate accents as to get their meaning across more directly and not need extra exposition.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I think it has its place in dialogue, but there's a fine line between adding a little flavor to a character (and let's face it: game characters often have very little time or lines of dialogue to establish personality) and making things sound overly hammy.

This stuff needs to be done very carefully.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
Some Dragon Quest games are unplayable for me because of this, they take it to an absurd extreme that is a detriment to the experience.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on how heavily it's done. I don't mind minor bits but if it has voice acting then I'm not sure why they need to do that.