• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DubleDuce

Jan 15, 2018
Case 1-3, when Edgeworth keeps dropping "Objections" because:

he realizes the woman on the witness stand is guilty, and he helps Phoenix press her even though it'll hurt Edgeworth's chances of winning the case... that moment is so epic.

The music that accompanied each "Objection!" is so amazing.

Anyone else have the same feelings as me for 1-3? It's my favourite so far. I'm up to 2-2 now.
1-3 is a great, classic case. One of the best "filler" cases by far.

Doesn't hold a candle to 1-4 though, in my opinion. Just wait until you get to the last case of Justice for All...whew.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I finished AA3 a few days ago. I've played these games several times before, but man, I forgot how good the third game is. These are games that I appreciate more and more every time I play them and as I get older. The ending is super satisfying and the perfect way to end the trilogy. I have no idea how this thing is selling, but I really hope a lot of new people are experiencing these games for the first time.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I'm stuck at AA2:JFA Episode 4 second investigation

I need to break the psyche-lock for both Engrade and Andrews.

For both I need to show evidence of Engrade's relationship with Celeste, I more or less have an idea what this relationship is but I don't know where to look for proof. I've spoken to Oldbag, Gumshoe and Powers already.

OP
OP
Papercuts

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm stuck at AA2:JFA Episode 4 second investigation

I need to break the psyche-lock for both Engrade and Andrews.

For both I need to show evidence of Engrade's relationship with Celeste, I more or less have an idea what this relationship is but I don't know where to look for proof. I've spoken to Oldbag, Gumshoe and Powers already.

If it helps, you need to break Matt first. If you talked to Gumshoe and Powers you should have everything you need. IIRC Matt is more about the spying stuff.

OP
OP
Papercuts

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I got his first 2 locks which uses up all of the spy cam stuff, but then it ask what reason he has to spy and I got nothing.

Shpuld be the magazine or adrian's profile for that.

If you've pushed the Adrian stuff as far as you can I believe you show the shell card.

Then sit back and enjoy the show.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Or Ghost Trick, the best game Shu Takumi ever made.
AA1 will always have a sweet spot in my heart, but yeah, Ghost Trick was just consistently high bar and goes out with a bang. Compared to his recent Ace Attorney endeavours I would definitely prefer more new, fresh concepts from Takumi than other things, but unfortunately Capcom were displeased with the turnout of Ghost Trick as it was extremely niche and had pretty abysmal sales :/

They're unlikely to allow Takumi to create his own IP again.

Sceptre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ive never played but it was always on my to-do list.
but now i have too many games i haven't started yet.
must. not . buy.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
3-5 has had some interesting twists and turns but I think maybe I got the gist of what's happening

Morgan Fey had a plan for all of her daughters to murder Maya Fey so Pearl could become the Master. But it was thrown off because Pearl was supposed to be with Misty who was helping her read. Maybe Pearl showed Misty the letter cause she was struggling to read it? That's when Misty found about the plot. Instead of letting Pearl channel Dahlia and become a murderer, Misty channeled Dahlia instead. When it came time for Dahlia to land the killing blow, Misty took back over and stabbed herself? Although she was stabbed in the back so that's kind of weird. 🤔 But I do think she killed herself rather than kill her daughter somehow

Also I'm suspicious of Morgan being Pearls mother. It makes no sense. She's significantly younger than the twins and who the hell is even her father? Also she's uncharacteristically powerful as a spirit channel compared to everyone else in her immediate family. She's more powerful than Maya and closer to Misty's level. I could be overthinking that.

Not done with the case but approaching the end and even if I'm wrong at least it really made me think

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Some things I want to say about 3-5 that I don't see a lot of people talk about:

The use of music in the final part of this case is pure genius.

Obviously everyone still talks about the Cornered moment. Playing the original Pursuit theme at the end was great. However, there are two other instances that I completely forgot about until this playthrough.
One is where they play Dahlia's theme during her cross-examination once her true identity is revealed. You get the sense that you are closer to reaching the truth. And then, my personal favorite: When the trial theme plays as Iris thanks Wright at the end. The timing, the execution of that scene. It hits me hard. Just incredible stuff.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Goddamnit, so handing over the wrong thing leads to an unfinished ending at the end of the case?!

What was I suppose to have given

Pearl to explain why her mom did it?

Rawky

Oct 26, 2017
Goddamnit, so handing over the wrong thing leads to an unfinished ending at the end of the case?!

What was I suppose to have given

Pearl to explain why her mom did it?

If I remember correctly, you needed to present Pearl's profile since she is the direct answer.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Now that this has been out for awhile, what's the verdict? Definitive version?
Depends on if you like the new visuals. I personally love them. That + high quality audio makes it the definitive version for me. The only two gotchas are the modified save system (purely manual saves with multiple slots with no separate checkpoint save) and apparently the very, very occasional missing audio cue, which I haven't noticed.

Jan 29, 2018
Replaying the first game for the first time since 2005 so I don't remember all of the twists and turns. It's ridiculous how the quality of the game's logic drops in 1-5. Lots of points where I know exactly what the game wants me to show and seemingly three pieces of evidence that can do it, but the game only accepts one arbitrarily.

Plus there's the point with a certain character's testimony in 1-5 where they say they'll answer only one of your questions, and if you choose the wrong one you have to go through their testimony again, which is fine, but if you choose the right one it doesn't change their testimony at all, you just have to press one of the other statements that you may have already pressed before. Blah.

I even managed to get stuck in the Day 2 Investigation currently,
where I've investigated the Evidence Room with Gumshoe, built the pot with one missing piece, and now I can't trigger any events anywhere. Even with a walkthrough - it claims once you clear that room Gumshoe leaves and you go to the next location, but he's still there.

Just really disappointing that it doesn't flow as well the first first four cases. I remember loving all of these games so I hope I don't run into the same issues replaying 2 and 3 (even though I know Case 2-3 will suck no matter what).

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Replaying the first game for the first time since 2005 so I don't remember all of the twists and turns. It's ridiculous how the quality of the game's logic drops in 1-5. Lots of points where I know exactly what the game wants me to show and seemingly three pieces of evidence that can do it, but the game only accepts one arbitrarily.

Plus there's the point with a certain character's testimony in 1-5 where they say they'll answer only one of your questions, and if you choose the wrong one you have to go through their testimony again, which is fine, but if you choose the right one it doesn't change their testimony at all, you just have to press one of the other statements that you may have already pressed before. Blah.

I even managed to get stuck in the Day 2 Investigation currently,
where I've investigated the Evidence Room with Gumshoe, built the pot with one missing piece, and now I can't trigger any events anywhere. Even with a walkthrough - it claims once you clear that room Gumshoe leaves and you go to the next location, but he's still there.

Just really disappointing that it doesn't flow as well the first first four cases. I remember loving all of these games so I hope I don't run into the same issues replaying 2 and 3 (even though I know Case 2-3 will suck no matter what).
That's because 1-5 was not an original case of the game, it was an special case created for the DS release. That's the reason why it has so many references to 2 and 3 (even to Apollo Justice)

Jan 29, 2018
That's because 1-5 was not an original case of the game, it was an special case created for the DS release. That's the reason why it has so many references to 2 and 3 (even to Apollo Justice)

I'm well aware, it's just that the difference in quality is staggering. It's also disappointing because I was looking forward to replaying 1-5 since it's one that I barely remember.

The writing is and charm is still good, just the logic puzzles are way poorer.

Deleted member 56449

User requested account closure
Banned
May 3, 2019
Replaying this great trilogy again on the big screen is the ultimate happiness. Can't wait to finish 2 and jump to my favourite game in the series

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Man 2-2 actually required me to save scum. Nothing in the first game was this bad, and I've replayed the trilogy several times. Knowing what happens but not knowing how to get there...

Also the last piece of evidence you can present in the trial is such bullshit.

When the game asks you why Mimi would go to such lengths to kill Dr. Grey, you're supposed to present the original newspaper article about her malpractice incident. I always, without fail present the second article instead, since it details both the malpractice incident AND the death of her sister, which isn't mentioned in the original article. But no, the game only accepts the first article as being valid, even though Mimi admits that accidentally killing Ini was also a factor. And then Mia scolds you and tells you she's embarrassed for you even thinking that's the right piece of evidence. Like, come onnn. They should have just made it so that either article would work.

Oct 25, 2017
Man 2-2 actually required me to save scum. Nothing in the first game was this bad, and I've replayed the trilogy several times. Knowing what happens but not knowing how to get there...

Also the last piece of evidence you can present in the trial is such bullshit.

When the game asks you why Mimi would go to such lengths to kill Dr. Grey, you're supposed to present the original newspaper article about her malpractice incident. I always, without fail present the second article instead, since it details both the malpractice incident AND the death of her sister, which isn't mentioned in the original article. But no, the game only accepts the first article as being valid, even though Mimi admits that accidentally killing Ini was also a factor. And then Mia scolds you and tells you she's embarrassed for you even thinking that's the right piece of evidence. Like, come onnn. They should have just made it so that either article would work.
Well maybe if you didn't pull her from another booty call in the afterlife, she wouldn't have been so annoyed.

OP
OP
Papercuts

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Will I get hate if I say I felt Godot was really overhyped?

cFsI6pg.jpg

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
Godot is definitely overhyped, something that has become increasingly apparent replaying the game.

Case 3-5 spoiler below:
He's a misogynistic, arrogant asshole who's never won a single case as a prosecutor and who doesn't feel threatening in the slightest. He comes off as an unlikable doofus and is undeserving of the cup of coffee he shares with Wright at the end. I really, honestly don't understand why people like him so much. The only thing he's got going for him is the "the only time a lawyer can cry is when it's all over" line, but that's not enough to save a character like that, especially with how disrespectfully he treats Mia Fey.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Godot is definitely overhyped, something that has become increasingly apparent replaying the game.

Case 3-5 spoiler below:
He's a misogynistic, arrogant asshole who's never won a single case as a prosecutor and who doesn't feel threatening in the slightest. He comes off as an unlikable doofus and is undeserving of the cup of coffee he shares with Wright at the end. I really, honestly don't understand why people like him so much. The only thing he's got going for him is the "the only time a lawyer can cry is when it's all over" line, but that's not enough to save a character like that, especially with how disrespectfully he treats Mia Fey.
When I first played through the finale, I thought that its rep was undeserved. And every time I look back on it, I enjoy it a little bit less. I really think the whole game falls flat on its face during the final cross-examination and conclusion.

Maya is completely out of character, Godot is ruined, and the game's own logic no longer makes any sense in its own universe.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Godot is fucking garbage and be deserved to he called out for his sexism and overall idiocity

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Godot is fucking garbage and he deserved to he called out for his sexism and overall idiocity
Like, that in itself isn't even a problem. It makes sense for the antagonist to be unlikable. But
from the way that events proceed, he's built up to be and portrayed as a sympathetic or tragic figure, but none of it lands. It's the most dissonant thing that I can remember from all of the games in the series that I've played.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I don't get team Eshiro's insistence on keeping the cursor design where you move around a singular object on a screen and tap it to examine. On pc or touch screens it just isn't necessary, and should've been turned off in my opinion, and I have to say the crosshair design made more sense to me somehow. The UI is also isanely tiny on Switch in handheld mode, but besides that it's a slick port.

Godot is fucking garbage and be deserved to he called out for his sexism and overall idiocity
Personally I find him amazing all the way until it gets serious in the final case. I don't think sexism as a trait or theme should always be avoided just because it's touchy, but with him, I agree that it just... it's treated like he's super tragic and sympathetic and he just isn't, really? He's just a huge goof and we're celebrating the fact that he martyred himself... What??

But his coffee-antics and general randomness to the character concept is so campy it just made me burst out laughing many times during the comedic fillers in particular.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like, that in itself isn't even a problem. It makes sense for the antagonist to be unlikable. But
from the way that events proceed, he's built up to be and portrayed as a sympathetic or tragic figure, but none of it lands. It's the most dissonant thing that I can remember from all of the games in the series that I've played.
It's the most dissonant thing of any game I have played. I can't believe he doesn't even get called once for his sexism,
.or killing Mia's mom or putting two girls in danger because of his ego
. It's obviously the people working on the game were so enamorated with the character that they became blind of how they wrote him. The whole characters is a masturbation of what the creators of the game think is cool. His design, his garbage dialogue,etc

Last edited:

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
It's the most dissonant thing of any game I have played.
I can't believe he doesn't even get called once for his sexism, or killing Mia's mom or putting two girls in danger because of his ego.
It's obviously the people working on the game were so enamorated with the character that they became blind of how they wrote him. The whole characters is a masturbation of what the creators of the game think is cool. His design, his garbage dialogue,etc
Chill with the spoilers. I know these games are very old but a lot of people in this thread are playing for the first time.

I didn't hate Godot but I much preferred Edgeworth and Franny's character arcs.
To be fair, Edgeworth had several games to build his

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I do wonder about Godot's immediate hostility to Franziska. He gets weirdly aggressive around her in a way he isn't around other people. I wonder how much of it is tied into her being a von Karma, since he's literally just met her. Though the phrase "I despise women like you" is probably a more outright admission that he just doesn't the kind of person she is.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
tbh all of the prosecutors after Edgeworth are kind of trash people (exception: Klavier) who needlessly bully the defense attorneys and witnesses and walk all over the Judge. I know it's commentary on the Japanese legal system but it's hard for me to rectify Franziska's whip, Godot's chucking coffee at people, Simon's murder threats or AA6 dude's religious babble with them being good people deep down, no matter what their excuse is.

Edgeworth, even early on is just smug at worst, and it doesn't take that much for him to see the error of his ways compared to the other prosecutors.

Literally just as soon as he figures out someone else did it, he nails them for it.

OP
OP
Papercuts

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It can be a hard line to tow when the prosecution in many ways have to be a "villain" of the game. Edgeworth is a big exception but it's hard to do something like that again without feeling like it's retreading plot points, and he's something that happens over multiple games.

Klavier is/was an exception but he can also feel too nice to the point where the trials were less intense.

And on the other side...you kind of need to keep making new prosecutors because otherwise these genuinely smart people that are hyped up yet lose to you constantly start to lose their luster. But I don't really know how they would avoid that.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the prosecutors need to be hyped up, or "mysterious." They do need to stand out in some way and prove to be a threat in court, but I don't think the only way to do it is to make them a prodigy/genius. And they don't need to be hating on the defense relentlessly, either.

For example, they could do 2 people on the prosecution bench like the defense.
They finally did this, to a small extent, in AA6's final case. But I'm thinking larger.
Or, hell, take a Phoenix Wright type and flip him around. A beginner (maybe assisted by a mentor) who comes up with miraculous bluffs and feels like they're riding by the seat of their pants, but somehow feels very threatening because everything they say or object to manages to turn things completely around.

I think there's a lot of room to experiment with the way the main prosecutor is handled in interesting ways.

Supau

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I've heard that this thing is getting a Chinese patch shortly. Is it out already or is it just "coming soon?"

Anyone know whether or not this is the case for the physical Japanese release as well? Kind of a specific question, I guess. If someone wouldn't mind booting this sucker up and taking a look for me, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!