• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the second game, what a case that was.

Still doesn't beat 1-4 to me though, I loved it.

Let's see if the third game will beat that!

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
The reason that Klavier is so good is that there isn't some major plot twist revealing his connection to the main characters. He's just another prosecutor doing his job. I guess he is Kristoph's brother but there's no twist and it doesn't really affect the story that much.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Wait. I'm looking through Wikipedia right now and there was a 6th Ace Attorney main game? I've played all 5 of 'em and even the Layton game, but how come I have no memory whatsoever of a 6th one? I'm looking at footage right now on YouTube and I'm pretty sure I've never seen this before. The boxart doesn't look familiar either. Did this get released without any promo or something? Is it even any good? Reviews seem to be all over the place.

NexasX

Oct 29, 2017
Wait. I'm looking through Wikipedia right now and there was a 6th Ace Attorney main game? I've played all 5 of 'em and even the Layton game, but how come I have no memory whatsoever of a 6th one? I'm looking at footage right now on YouTube and I'm pretty sure I've never seen this before. The boxart doesn't look familiar either. Did this get released without any promo or something? Is it even any good? Reviews seem to be all over the place.

Are you referring to Sprit of Justice? Yeah it was out a couple of years ago but definitely fairly low-key, especially coming straight from DD.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't like Spirit of Justice. The series jumped the shark with that one IMO. I'm not sure why it seems to be considered so good and DD, which is far superior, especially with its DLC case, gets a bad rap.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's alright. Definitely worth playing for any fan of the series.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Are you referring to Sprit of Justice? Yeah it was out a couple of years ago but definitely fairly low-key, especially coming straight from DD.
It's alright. Definitely worth playing for any fan of the series.
Spirit of Justice, yeah. It's so weird to me that footage of this game doesn't ring a single bell, haha. Reading back through this very thread I see people talking about it, so it must really exist haha. I'll definitely give it a spin when I play through the whole series again in the future. I'm currently almost done with the third case of the first game so I still have a long ways to go, haha. I did like DD a lot so I guess I'll at least like this one as well then. Thanks for the replies!

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
£27? EU/UK usually gets bad price conversion but this just takes the piss and is worse than the usual conversion of a $30 game. Wtf Capcom.

Magnet_Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
2068.jpg

Apr 19, 2018
Spirit of Justice is arguably the best of the new trilogy. The final case is a doozy; very nearly on par to AA3's Case 5.

Chacranajxy

Oct 29, 2017
AA6 was good, but I thought 5 was overwhelmingly better. The DLC case for 5 was also super good. I liked the prosecutor in 5 better, and I enjoyed the novelty of Athena being introduced.

I also recall 6 being a stupidly long game. Not that I really had a problem with it, but man did it take forever to get through.

Vegeta'sKakarot

Alt-account.
Banned
Apr 11, 2019
AA6 was good, but I thought 5 was overwhelmingly better. The DLC case for 5 was also super good. I liked the prosecutor in 5 better, and I enjoyed the novelty of Athena being introduced.

I also recall 6 being a stupidly long game. Not that I really had a problem with it, but man did it take forever to get through.

It's the same length as far as I know

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I hate her in 2. Her constant whipping interruptions and animations that take forever, ugh. And she's annoying as all hell in 2 and Interrogations. She's only ok-ish in 3.
I like the dynamic between Edgeworth and Franziska in Investigations. The loophole Edgeworth uses at one point to gain access to a crime scene by insisting that he's her "subordinate" in her security detail--and especially how she revels in the idea--is a fittingly amusing ploy.

Don't want to overhype it over you but the 3rd games last case is fucking amazing
I'm pretty sure that I'm a party of one when it comes to the opinion that that case just went too far at the end. It really strained the belivability of Godot's character to me and almost completely broke down the fundamental logic* of the game in one fell swoop.

* In the very final interrogation, you've narrowed down the identity of the murderer to one of only two choices: Maya or Godot. All other possibilities have been completely eliminated at this point. But if you fail at this stage of the game, then Iris is still the one who gets jailed. Sure, that's "how the game works": make too many mistakes and the defendant loses. But it really bothered me that this case was written in such a way that the defendant is still on the hook even after being exonerated because the "video game logic" can't pin it on Maya instead. And the idea that Maya would throw Iris under the bus like that is kind of unpleasant to think about and doesn't seem at all fitting.

Last edited:

Cronen

Oct 27, 2017
I remember when I was younger playing through all of the first game and then getting about halfway through the second one. When the Trilogy hit the 3Ds I remember playing through all of the first game...and then only getting halfway through the second one again. I think I must have just burnt out.

I bought this on Switch, and have started the first game AGAIN, but think I'll drop it and just move straight to the second game to try and actually progress further than I have in the past.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I remember when I was younger playing through all of the first game and then getting about halfway through the second one. When the Trilogy hit the 3Ds I remember playing through all of the first game...and then only getting halfway through the second one again. I think I must have just burnt out.

I bought this on Switch, and have started the first game AGAIN, but think I'll drop it and just move straight to the second game to try and actually progress further than I have in the past.
A reason could be that, in my opinion, the second game is the weakest game of the trilogy, with the only exception of the last trial, which is undoubtedly one of the best of all the series. I suggest you to progress anyway to experience the last trial and then the third game, the best of the trilogy - it will be worth it.

Cronen

Oct 27, 2017
A reason could be that, in my opinion, the second game is the weakest game of the trilogy, with the only exception of the last trial, which is undoubtedly one of the best of all the series. I suggest you to progress anyway to experience the last trial and then the third game, the best of the trilogy - it will be worth it.

Thanks. I specifically remember a trial involving a circus clown, and that's about it. Will try and push through!

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. I specifically remember a trial involving a circus clown, and that's about it. Will try and push through!
I can't blame anyone for quitting on that case, it kind of sucks. Easily the worst case in the trilogy.

cmyHiUF.gif
OP6ZvIY.gif

But the next two cases are awesome, so I highly advise anyone to bear with the annoying testimonies and stuff if they've been enjoying the series at all thus far.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It'll be nice to finally finish this trilogy but man do I wish the text/speech noises could be muted or lowered without affecting the other sound effects.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Man I can't tell who winged it harder in the game- Me, or Phoenix Wright himself

"Can you prove it?!"
"UH HUH, ERM, Y-YEaaaaaahhhhh??"

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I love those moments when Phoenix knows what to do but I'm utterly clueless. It's a bit stressful but it makes me laugh at my dumb ass.

Just as many moment as when both Phoenix and I both don't know what to do lol.

Somehow the textbox style works because it feels like Phoenix is slowly trying to drag this out as much as he can XD

OniluapL

Oct 25, 2017
Just as many moment as when both Phoenix and I both don't know what to do lol.

Somehow the textbox style works because it feels like Phoenix is slowly trying to drag this out as much as he can XD

I think one of the greatest things about this series is how the text boxes have this distinct pacing. Text can go slower, faster, word by word, stop for impact, stall for time - even without any voice acting, it gives such a rhythym to the dialogue that really makes things more immersive. It's pretty neat.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
The game play of this games is like the Virtual Novels , Graphic Adventures or another?
The game is on my radar, but VN make me selepy..

Simba

Nov 25, 2017
this is the first time i've played aa1 since....2006 I think?

i'm reminded of why I like Edgeworth the most out of all the prosecutors in the franchise. He doesn't feel too over the top or silly with his demeanor, I like his design, among other things.

my main issue with Franzisca is

that whip of hers. I know this franchise takes a lot of liberties with what happens in a court of law, and that it can get over the top but I never liked that part about her

Godot is my second favorite prosecutor. I have no strong feelings either way with Klavier. I forgot who was the prosecutor was in 5. Didn't play much of AA6.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
So if I dont like, or can play 30 minutes and not beiing sleepy, Stein Gate probably I dont like AA? There are sections that the game play consists in press x for 30 minutes or more?
Tks

Ace Attorney has a lot of reading. You can watch videos on Youtube. But you will probably dislike it, if you are getting sleepy with so much reading.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So if I dont like, or can play 30 minutes and not beiing sleepy, Stein Gate probably I dont like AA? There are sections that the game play consists in press x for 30 minutes or more?
Tks

There's always some interaction amongst the reading, be it the trials themselves or the point-and-click stuff in the investigations. But there is a lot of reading if that's not your thing.

If you're on PC you can always refund it in the first 2 hours if it's not working out for you.

Lusankya

Oct 27, 2017
The game play of this games is like the Virtual Novels , Graphic Adventures or another?
The game is on my radar, but VN make me selepy..

It's a VN, but has a lot of gameplay, during investigation you have the least amount of gameplay but you still check the background for clues and evidence. During the trials each witness testimony is like a puzzle you need to solve by finding contradictions.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Tks
It's a visual novel but it's a bit heavier on gameplay than many others. Investigation phase involves moving around, examining environments and talking to suspects/witnesses (which itself can also involve some puzzle elements, not just going through dialogue options) and the courtroom phase which has a lot of talking but it's not just rushing through dialogue, there's a game-y "you need to really look at what these people are saying, what words they use, and then check if that contradicts with anything" puzzle element to it. So it's more involved than just reading. You have to actively pay attention.

The periods of JUST talking don't generally stretch out too long.

Plus these games are REALLY good at setting an exciting or suspensful mood that should keep you more engaged than some other visual novels.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
Is not that I dont like reading, but in games I like to have more input. Maybe the problem with the stein:gate was that I played it on Vita and almost always on bed. I will look for gameplay on youtube and wait for a promotion (i will buy it on PS4, refund is not a option).

Ace Attorney has a lot of reading. You can watch videos on Youtube. But you will probably dislike it, if you are getting sleepy with so much reading.

There's always some interaction amongst the reading, be it the trials themselves or the point-and-click stuff in the investigations. But there is a lot of reading if that's not your thing.

If you're on PC you can always refund it in the first 2 hours if it's not working out for you.

It's a VN, but has a lot of gameplay, during investigation you have the least amount of gameplay but you still check the background for clues and evidence. During the trials each witness testimony is like a puzzle you need to solve by finding contradictions.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Is not that I dont like reading, but in games I like to have more input. Maybe the problem with the stein:gate was that I played it on Vita and almost always on bed. I will look for gameplay on youtube and wait for a promotion (i will buy it on PS4, refund is not a option).

I always had the same problem playing VNs on handhelds. I always had an easier time when playing those on PC or a bigger screen.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, the evidence law in 1-5 is such bullshit. Appears in just one case (yes, I know the case was mad after the first three games for the DS rerelease) and is never mentioned again when you just randomly pull out stuff you found lying on the floor in all the other games.

I also forgot how much I wanted to punch Gant.

Vegeta'sKakarot

Alt-account.
Banned
Apr 11, 2019

Steins;Gate is more your problem there. That game has an astoundingly slow start from what I hear.

Ace Attorney gets going immediately with a court section where you slam a witness to the wall and make him spill his guts out over hype as fuck music within the first hour.

Believe me you'll love it.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
My dirty secret is I've never played this series despite loving murder mysteries and the like.

Do they work out the kinks throughout the games? I got penalized for showing contradictions but they weren't the right ones at the right time, despite the fact they were still contradictions

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do they work out the kinks throughout the games? I got penalized for showing contradictions but they weren't the right ones at the right time, despite the fact they were still contradictions
That happens throughout the series. The cases all have a very specific way that they play out.

Vegeta'sKakarot

Alt-account.
Banned
Apr 11, 2019
My dirty secret is I've never played this series despite loving murder mysteries and the like.

That's something you'll have to manage through. Though it's not a common occurrence in any case, and it's simple enough to tell which contradiction the game wants you to find with a simple press or two or by following dialogue cues before and after the testimony.

Lusankya

Oct 27, 2017
That's something you'll have to manage through. Though it's not a common occurrence in any case, and it's simple enough to tell which contradiction the game wants you to find with a simple press or two or by following dialogue cues before and after the testimony.

General rule when playing an Ace Attorney game: Press every single statement! Even if you spot the contradiction right away.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I know they come from the gba and that's not going to look super great just blown up on a screen but I dunno it kinda looks weird to me.
Jesus that shit looks awful.

Aside from above, is this the definitive version of the HD remasters? Meaning all animations being 1:1 with the sprites and any other issues ironed out.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Newbie here. I was wondering the same thing re if there was any downside to doing this. One other perhaps obvious question - can you save your game mid-case?
I remember one occasion where the game will penalize you for pressing but I don't remember if there's more than that. Either way, the game's quite clear about it before you start your cross-examination. Aside from that, you want to press everything (And if you're really stumped, it doesn't hurt to press everything again just in case. Sometimes information you get from pressing a later statement can become relevant while pressing an earlier one).

And yes, you can save at any time.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember one occasion where the game will penalize you for pressing but I don't remember if there's more than that. Either way, the game's quite clear about it before you start your cross-examination. Aside from that, you want to press everything (And if you're really stumped, it doesn't hurt to press everything again just in case. Sometimes information you get from pressing a later statement can become relevant while pressing an earlier one).

And yes, you can save at any time.

Brilliant. Thanks.